Calling Villanova Law Students ... Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
FunkyJD

Silver

Re: Calling Villanova Law Students ...

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. Would you please answer some more questions:

a) Critique your legal writing and research classes. What have you liked and not liked about them?

b) Are any 1Ls taking either the regulatory law course or the legislation course? Could you also critique your experiences with these courses as well?

c) Do you get to choose which second-semester 1L class -- contracts or property -- that you get to take for 5 credits? And how does the practicum format differ from other basic lecture-style courses?

d) Also, I am ignorant as to how law school scheduling occurs, and how it might differ from undergrad or grad school. When you are assigned to a section of students, are you also then assigned to take your 1L courses with a set group of professors -- i.e., all students in Section A will take torts with Prof. Jones at 9:00, and all students in Section B will take torts with Prof. Smith at 11:00 -- or is there some flexibility in choosing professors for a particular class?

Thanks.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 am

FunkyJD wrote:Thanks for all of the helpful responses. Would you please answer some more questions:

a) Critique your legal writing and research classes. What have you liked and not liked about them?

b) Are any 1Ls taking either the regulatory law course or the legislation course? Could you also critique your experiences with these courses as well?

c) Do you get to choose which second-semester 1L class -- contracts or property -- that you get to take for 5 credits? And how does the practicum format differ from other basic lecture-style courses?

d) Also, I am ignorant as to how law school scheduling occurs, and how it might differ from undergrad or grad school. When you are assigned to a section of students, are you also then assigned to take your 1L courses with a set group of professors -- i.e., all students in Section A will take torts with Prof. Jones at 9:00, and all students in Section B will take torts with Prof. Smith at 11:00 -- or is there some flexibility in choosing professors for a particular class?

Thanks.
Wow, very specific questions. Seems like you've done your homework. 8)

a) I liked legal writing because it was challenging. It was overwhelming at times, but after seeing the assignments at a similarly ranked school (from a friend), I am very proud of the program at VLS. Research was pretty boring, though :) but its a necessary skill!

b) Yes a bunch of 1L's are taking those courses this semester. I'm actually taking criminal procedure, so I can't help you there. And since its mid-semester, advice is going to be limited on the topic. But I do know that regulatory state is graded on a series of papers instead of a typical final.

c) They assign the practicum to each student. Its format is really dependent on what the professor wants to do with it, but its still a lecture style course. The only difference is an additional hour per week to look at contracts and do hands-on work with them. It actually makes little to no difference whether you have contracts practicum or property practicum.

d) Yes, that is how it is scheduled. There is no flexibility in choosing classes/professors your first year, with an exception in second semester in which you get to choose one elective--criminal procedure, regulatory, legislation, or international law. Also, instead of appellate advocacy, you can substitute with international writing, but space is very limited. This is the first year VLS has done this type of program, so it might change slightly next year, but who knows for sure. Essentially, the scheduling doesn't matter so much because you'll be studying and preparing for classes and writing your memo/brief with every spare minute anyway, but they are very fair with the schedules (usually). Nothing goes after 4:30pm, which most classes in the morning/early afternoon.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 am

Really appreciate the answers, mikeyp. Yeah, Villanova's a school I'm serious about, so I'm really digging in and doing some due diligence.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:59 am

FunkyJD wrote:Really appreciate the answers, mikeyp. Yeah, Villanova's a school I'm serious about, so I'm really digging in and doing some due diligence.
Good to hear! Take a tour any friday at 3pm and I'll be your tour guide ;)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Is it possible to get into the facilities on a Saturday (tomorrow)? My GF and I are on spring break, but leaving for FL soon. I live in the general area, and was hoping I could pop in on Saturday just to snoop around. Probably a question to ask the school directly, but if you know you could save me a call!

Mikeyp, thanks a ton for doing this. It's very helpful, and is definitely giving me a great vibe about nova.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:Is it possible to get into the facilities on a Saturday (tomorrow)? My GF and I are on spring break, but leaving for FL soon. I live in the general area, and was hoping I could pop in on Saturday just to snoop around. Probably a question to ask the school directly, but if you know you could save me a call!

Mikeyp, thanks a ton for doing this. It's very helpful, and is definitely giving me a great vibe about nova.
no problem, i love the school so hopefully i can put others' worries to rest.

check pm.

qazwsxedc

New

Post by qazwsxedc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:50 pm

Everyone's input has been helpful, does anyone have an opinion on this situation?

I have been accepted to both Temple and Villanova. Although I am originally from Philadelphia, I no longer qualify for in-state tuition since I have lived in DC for the past four years. Villanova has offered me 25k a year provided that I maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA.

Some other considerations:
I am interested in practicing intellectual property law after graduation.
I think Temple's trial advocacy program could be pretty useful if I decide to go into patent litigation.
I plan on living in Center City.

I'm also curious about Villanova's grading curve - would it be extremely difficult to maintain a 3.25 GPA? (I realize answering that question is dependent on each student - either way I'd like to hear what everyone thinks). How does the student body of Temple compare to Villanova? Age, background, personality type, etc.

Temple vs. Villanova - what do you think?

PS, something I thought worth noting: 3 years of out-of-state tuition at Temple is basically equal to 1 year of 25k scholarship + 2 years at full tuition at Villanova.

mikeyp

Bronze

Post by mikeyp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 pm

qazwsxedc wrote:Everyone's input has been helpful, does anyone have an opinion on this situation?

I have been accepted to both Temple and Villanova. Although I am originally from Philadelphia, I no longer qualify for in-state tuition since I have lived in DC for the past four years. Villanova has offered me 25k a year provided that I maintain a cumulative 3.25 GPA.

Some other considerations:
I am interested in practicing intellectual property law after graduation.
I think Temple's trial advocacy program could be pretty useful if I decide to go into patent litigation.
I plan on living in Center City.

I'm also curious about Villanova's grading curve - would it be extremely difficult to maintain a 3.25 GPA? (I realize answering that question is dependent on each student - either way I'd like to hear what everyone thinks). How does the student body of Temple compare to Villanova? Age, background, personality type, etc.

Temple vs. Villanova - what do you think?

PS, something I thought worth noting: 3 years of out-of-state tuition at Temple is basically equal to 1 year of 25k scholarship + 2 years at full tuition at Villanova.
do a search, there's a million threads about villanova v. temple.

but if it helps, 3.25 at villanova is top 40%. it shouldn't be too difficult to maintain, its generally B+/A-, but it all depends on your work ethic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”