Lewis & Clark 1L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
katjust

Bronze

Lewis & Clark 1L taking questions

Post by katjust » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi, I am a first year student at Lewis & Clark. I am not originally from the Portland area. I will try to answer any questions that anyone has.

geostuck

New

Re: Lewis & Clark 1L taking questions

Post by geostuck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Any opinion on job prospects in the Seattle area?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 pm

how are the classes, professors, work load... the generic questions haha.

geostuck

New

Post by geostuck » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:37 pm

Since no one has asked a question in 12 hours, she's out. Campus is nice, though.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 am

geostuck wrote:Any opinion on job prospects in the Seattle area?

I probably don't know much more than you do about that. My guess is that competing with U.Washington students would be tough. However, we do get a good deal of postings in career services from Seattle employers. It seems that Seattle employers are pretty familiar with the school, so that is a plus.
Last edited by katjust on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:27 am

sarlis wrote:how are the classes, professors, work load... the generic questions haha.

Here is my opinion. People seem to get along pretty well. People in my pod work together and help each other out, so competitiveness is not a factor in that sense. I have a family, so I don't really hang out outside of class with the students, however, I know that there is a decent sized group that is very social. In a sense it can get a bit like a stereotypical high school. The thing that bothers me a lot is the whining of students. A lot of students whine about professors or classes WAY too much, it is like people feel entitled to be entertained by class or something. My guess is that this is the case at any school, not just law school or Lewis & Clark.

People here do worry about grades (I know because we just got our first semester grades back). Finals, as you would imagine, are stressful and hard. I had nightmares about the exams before and after they were over.

Professors seem as open as one would hope. Many go out of their way to meet with students if the students want. I like most of my professors. Some of them can be boring and/or annoying.

The work load is as much as you make it. There are certain things that you have to turn in in legal writing, and maybe in some of your other classes. Beyond that, you can study all the time, and study not much at all. If you just do the required reading, the workload is not going to be insane. However, the better you understand the material, the better you will probably be able to perform on the exam. I have kids, volunteer a lot (am on pace to get both volunteer awards this year), along with being an officer in a student organization, and I more than beat the median in the first semester. I definitley have time to put in more work for classes and probably should this semester so that I can do better. I don't want to make it sound easy, because it isn't. It is difficult, and the reading can go VERY slow. My guess is that some students can put in a lot more work and have trouble just hitting median, while others put in less and perform at the top of the class.

I like the school. There are tons of things to do. Career services is very helpful, and there are a lot of volunteer opportunities if you want them. At the same time, you need to know yourself and know how much you can successfully take on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”