Most insane website? Ugliest?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PDaddy

Most insane website? Ugliest?

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:19 am

Some of these schools. Haven't they ever heard of Dreamweaver or DHTML? Jeez!

1) Most Insane: Chicago-Kent, Stanford, Duke, USC, UVA, Miami, Tulane, Georgia's new one, and a few others

2) Ugliest/Most Difficult (to navigate): Temple, UNC, BU, BLS, Wake, American

3) Does the website affect your impression of the school at all? I don't think the majority of us would actually choose a school based on the website, but does it affect your expectations somewhat?

I like sites with lots of pictures, easy-to-see links, good color, diverse people and lots of info.
Last edited by PDaddy on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

nematoad

Re: Most insane website? Ugliest?

Postby nematoad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:20 am

American.. so bland

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 am

I hate vanderbilts. That flash on the right side-bar lags even the fastest of computers.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:57 am

I really, really love that when you go to an incorrect or broken link on Chicago's website, it says "Motion Denied."

No1ustad

Postby No1ustad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:10 am

yea, it affects my perception of the school itself, more so than it actually should. I know a website is a marketing tool and the best schools wouldn't need one anyway, but i can't help stereotyping!

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 am

nematoad wrote:American.. so bland

yes, AU-WCL's is very bad
Cardozo's also is. It is very bad. Their search function is abysmal. You can never find what you are looking for via search.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:00 am

PDaddy wrote:1) Most Insane: Chicago-Kent, Stanford, Duke, USC, UVA, Miami, Tulane, Georgia's new one, and a few others

3) Does the website affect your impression of the school at all? I don't think the majority of us would actually choose a school based on the website, but does it affect your expectations somewhat?

1. I couldn't even find an email address for the admissions office on Kent. Miami's is bad, and they wanted a SSN to have a viewbook sent to you.
2. BLS actually updated theirs. I don't think BU is bad.
3. Yes, definitely. Maybe I read to much into it. But if your website doesn't look professional, can't give a good impression of the school & area, can't give good info on the school/their figures, etc ... then that is a pretty bad thing. I feel like if someone isn't taking their website seriously, how can I trust them to take everything else seriously. ... I know there are people who do good work in the world that have bad websites or no websites, but it definitely leaves an impression on me.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:03 am

lol, I just went to check out BLS' website again, and they managed take a completely vertical photo of the building without showing any of the surroundings (it's on the front page). Pretty nice work, actually. See, websites can work for you too: like take a school that is just a building in the middle of Brooklyn, and make it look appealing by showing the NYC skyline and nice pics of the Brooklyn Bridge.

calkel

Postby calkel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 am

dude i don't get what all the hating is on the websites and shit is about. it's just a fucking collection of words bro. it's like whatever man. i just wish some people would decide to stop being so harsh about how some words on a monitor screen are arranged cuz it's like totally not their fault man. there's like more important shit they could be spending their money on so that you can have a better education and stuff. i guess what i'm trying to say is chill the fuck out man and be cool cuz no one wants to hear that negative shit.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:27 am

okay, I can tell that you don't pay much attention to the words that are put on the internet (as evidenced by your post) ... but many people do. A law school's website is like a portfolio of its work. They use the website to sell many things: the location of the school, the school's placement, the environment and culture of the school. Websites are very useful tools for people to figure out where they would like to apply, and to get a good idea of whether a given school might be good for them to attend. Obviously I think that visiting a school is the best way to get a good feel for it, but many people can't visit schools until later in their cycle, and they would like to get a good idea of the school in the meantime.

calkel

Postby calkel » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am

but anyone can make the most super cool awesome webpage ever and it wouldn't make a difference how off the hook your school is. i feel like webpage functionality should be at the bottom of the us news rankings cuz it doesnt really matter how that impacts your legal education and shit. i think everyone can agree that google has the most awesome webpage ever. but would you ever attend a law school hosted by them? i didn't think so. a person's choices are based on far more relevant factors. just cuz they don't pander to the internet nerdz doesnt mean they wish to exclude those people (i.e. you).

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 am

calkel wrote: i think everyone can agree that google has the most awesome webpage ever. but would you ever attend a law school hosted by them?

Yes, I would. It would be Stanford.

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 pm

This was my LSAT testing site. The school is basically in a safeway shopping center :wink:

http://www.lincolnlaw.edu/

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Lewis and Clark Law has a great website.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:58 pm

The People's College of Law

http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

(yes, it's real)

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 pm

eskimo wrote:I really, really love that when you go to an incorrect or broken link on Chicago's website, it says "Motion Denied."

:lol:

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 pm

superflush wrote:okay, I can tell that you don't pay much attention to the words that are put on the internet (as evidenced by your post) ... but many people do. A law school's website is like a portfolio of its work. They use the website to sell many things: the location of the school, the school's placement, the environment and culture of the school. Websites are very useful tools for people to figure out where they would like to apply, and to get a good idea of whether a given school might be good for them to attend. Obviously I think that visiting a school is the best way to get a good feel for it, but many people can't visit schools until later in their cycle, and they would like to get a good idea of the school in the meantime.

Here-here!

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:42 pm

superflush wrote:
PDaddy wrote:1) Most Insane: Chicago-Kent, Stanford, Duke, USC, UVA, Miami, Tulane, Georgia's new one, and a few others

1. I couldn't even find an email address for the admissions office on Kent. Miami's is bad, and they wanted a SSN to have a viewbook sent to you.
2. BLS actually updated theirs. I don't think BU is bad.
3. Yes, definitely. Maybe I read to much into it. But if your website doesn't look professional, can't give a good impression of the school & area, can't give good info on the school/their figures, etc ... then that is a pretty bad thing. I feel like if someone isn't taking their website seriously, how can I trust them to take everything else seriously. ... I know there are people who do good work in the world that have bad websites or no websites, but it definitely leaves an impression on me.

This is a great argument. I have only two exceptions. A few years back, Yale's and Harvard's webs were for shit! But they are Yale and Harvard.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Cupidity wrote:I hate vanderbilts. That flash on the right side-bar lags even the fastest of computers.

I so agree with this. Vandy could have a really nice website, too. Their designer is probably a trust fund baby who smokes too much weed. lol.

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Catholic's is really drab.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:14 pm

"We only admit those students who, regardless of their quite varied political, spiritual, cultural or social backgrounds, have demonstrated a commitment to progressive social change, have an awareness of working class issues and will employ the skills gained at the school to further these goals in their own way. Thus, if you want to be a prosecutor or a corporate attorney, don't waste our time applying; there are plenty of other schools out there for you!"
-People's College of Law

IS THIS REAL.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:17 pm

lawduder wrote:The People's College of Law

http://www.peoplescollegeoflaw.edu/

(yes, it's real)

I didn't realize that all of their professors are unpaid volunteers. Baller.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 pm

"PCL's recruitment and admissions policies are strongly directed toward socio-politically conscious Native American, Asian, Black and Latina/o students. Our goal is to have a student body that is at least half women and two/thirds Third World People"

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:28 am

I think Emory's site is pretty fancy. Embedded videos are serious business.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 pm

vandalvideo wrote:I think Emory's site is pretty fancy. Embedded videos are serious business.

I think their website is new this year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”