Emory Law Admission Staffer Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onepass

Re: Emory Law Admission Staffer Taking Questions

Postby onepass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks for taking questions. I'm curious, will financial information be included in the initial packets of those who are accepted? Or will that come later?

krad

Postby krad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 pm

Emory_Rob thanks for being involved on TLS. I'm just tagging this for now but will return when I have a question! As I'm sure I will over the coming weeks :)

stayingclassy

Postby stayingclassy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Now that Fall 2010 has passed, and Career Services has compiled the information, could you share Emory's Summer 2010 employment statistics for the current 3L class?

Thanks.

beezy31

Postby beezy31 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:43 pm

stayingclassy wrote:Now that Fall 2010 has passed, and Career Services has compiled the information, could you share Emory's Summer 2010 employment statistics for the current 3L class?

Thanks.

BUbobby24

Postby BUbobby24 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Rob,

Do you have any advice for transfer applicants? For instance, are their common mistakes transfer applicants make? I appreciate any feedback.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Rob,

It seems like the entirety of the first batch has already been sent to applicants. Any news on when the second batch is going out?

Also, is it possible to say whether the largest scholarship amounts were given to applicants in the first batch?

Thanks for your time.

enron123

Postby enron123 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

Thank you for taking questions! Did I get in? When do you think the next batch of happy and sad faces will be sent out? thanks

beezy31

Postby beezy31 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:30 am

What percentage of 1Ls get firm jobs during the summer?

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 pm

-How intensive is the litigation focus at Emory? As someone who isn't interested in being a litigator, I don't want to be in an environment that emphasizes this one facet of legal practice

-How difficult is it to get into the TI:GER program? I would be looking into applying for the Tech sector (non-sci background). About how many applications for how many spots do you receive, and what are the average credentials for those admitted?

happypp43

Postby happypp43 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Rob,
I applied to your law school in January. So far, I still haven't got any mail (ad or denial) from your law school. However, I did get an email from Ethan Rosenzweig this Tuesday inviting me to apply for Greek Life House Director. In the very very end of this email, it also states "You are receiving this email because you have been admitted to Emory University School of Law". Does that really mean I am in and the mail is on its way?
If that is the case, will I also see my scholarship info in the package?
I've been trying to call the admission office for days after I receive the email, but for some reason no one answered the phone (it always gave me a busy tone).

Thanks a Lot!!!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:43 pm

crit_racer wrote:-How intensive is the litigation focus at Emory? As someone who isn't interested in being a litigator, I don't want to be in an environment that emphasizes this one facet of legal practice

-How difficult is it to get into the TI:GER program? I would be looking into applying for the Tech sector (non-sci background). About how many applications for how many spots do you receive, and what are the average credentials for those admitted?

+1

Curious about this as well

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Maybe you have already answered this and I apologize if I've overlooked it, but it seems that a lot of the philosophy of Emory University revolves around the Methodist philosophy. If you have a Methodist background would it help to put that in a personal statement or to mention the relationship that you have with that outlook on life?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Emory has a very prominent Jewish presence--if that helps. So I doubt that one's religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs, will affect chances of admission unless your beliefs focus on high LSAT scores.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:16 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Emory has a very prominent Jewish presence--if that helps. So I doubt that one's religious beliefs, or lack of religious beliefs, will affect chances of admission unless your beliefs focus on high LSAT scores.

That is exactly what it focuses on. I'm in good shape. :mrgreen:

ps1187

Postby ps1187 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Rob,
Do you have any information for waitlisted applicants?
As in when you plan to make more decisions, and the possibility of acceptance at this point.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:15 am

I think the better question is will Rob ever be back on TLS.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I'll respond to the questions I feel competent enough to answer

beezy31 wrote:What percentage of 1Ls get firm jobs during the summer?

Not very many, but way more than the past two years. I don't know the exact percentage, but very small. Firms seem to go for students with prior WE rather than straight through students. I certainly wouldn't bank on landing a paying 1L job--but that applies pretty much everywhere but HYSCC. I had 5 interviews, but didn't get a callback or offer.

ps1187 wrote:Rob,
Do you have any information for waitlisted applicants?
As in when you plan to make more decisions, and the possibility of acceptance at this point.

Generally, I'd expect that Emory is going to be MUCH more careful about admitting more students this year because they overenrolled my year. You're definitely not out of the game, but the acceptance may not come until deep in the summer. This is my own personal belief and not commensurate with the admissions office.

NiccoloA wrote:statement

Probably not.

happypp43 wrote:.

I can't answer this because I don't want to be wrong. But the admissions packet is by snail mail (as mentioned earlier in this thread, so it's possible you got the email while the actual packet is in transit. Good luck.

beezy31 wrote:-How intensive is the litigation focus at Emory? As someone who isn't interested in being a litigator, I don't want to be in an environment that emphasizes this one facet of legal practice

Law school in general has more of a litigation than transactional focus. Personally, I'm very gung-ho litigation. But my friends who want to do transactional have plenty of options. We have a transactional program that is supposed to be pretty awesome--lots of mock deals/negotiations etc. No school is going to be exclusively litigation or transactional, but Emory wouldn't be as transactional focused--I'd imagine--as a school like Columbia. Don't worry about getting adequate exposure to transactional law, you'll get that no matter what school you go to. I would like to add that a significant number of people change their mind about what they want to do when they get to school. I thought I wanted to do torts, now I'm much more interested in labor and employment, along with soft IP. Of course, that could completely change by next year.
TI:GER is pretty difficult to get into. I think there are 14-20 spots total (half patent, half "technology"). Pure hearsay, but I think about 70 people applied--maybe a tad more. I know people who were top 1/3 with solid WE who didn't it; grades are a very important factor, especially on the tech side where you don't need to have any particular background.
One good thing is that Emory is trying to expand its partnership with Georgia Tech regarding IP. I believe the program will continue to expand because (thank fucking god) Georgia Tech has no interest in opening a law school.
If you're interested in IP, then I can't rep Emory's faculty enough. Our IP teachers are outstanding and definitely got me interested in the field.

stayingclassy wrote:Now that Fall 2010 has passed, and Career Services has compiled the information, could you share Emory's Summer 2010 employment statistics for the current 3L class?
Thanks.

I'd like this information as well Emory Rob. They may have shown it at ASW--I don't know to be honest.

Eviix

Postby Eviix » Tue May 03, 2011 1:58 pm

This question gets repeated a lot on these forums but never answered by an admissions staffer:

how "irrelevant" are extracurricular activities/softs?
TLS paints a general picture of disdain and lack of necessity while I just read a post that indicated that they were only irrelevant because of their commonality and that they sort of form a minimum line.

Which is it? :P
Thanks!

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu May 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Eviix wrote:This question gets repeated a lot on these forums but never answered by an admissions staffer:

how "irrelevant" are extracurricular activities/softs?
TLS paints a general picture of disdain and lack of necessity while I just read a post that indicated that they were only irrelevant because of their commonality and that they sort of form a minimum line.

Which is it? :P
Thanks!

Necessary but not sufficient. Ie, it'll look weird if you don't have them, but they probably won't help you that much (if at all).

adamtx11

Postby adamtx11 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Is there any way I can find what firms y'all have coming for Fall 2011 OCI or what firms came for Spring 2011 OCI? Would greatly appreciate a source

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon May 16, 2011 11:04 am

adamtx11 wrote:Is there any way I can find what firms y'all have coming for Fall 2011 OCI or what firms came for Spring 2011 OCI? Would greatly appreciate a source

The list isn't available yet; I think it comes out in July-ish. Spring OCI for 2Ls probably will have very few firms. We had around 20-25 for 1L OCI if you count multiple offices as separate employers.

kaspar

Postby kaspar » Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Omerta wrote:
adamtx11 wrote:Is there any way I can find what firms y'all have coming for Fall 2011 OCI or what firms came for Spring 2011 OCI? Would greatly appreciate a source

The list isn't available yet; I think it comes out in July-ish. Spring OCI for 2Ls probably will have very few firms. We had around 20-25 for 1L OCI if you count multiple offices as separate employers.

What? Yes it is. It has been for months. It might change as firms are added/dropped but the list always comes out before spring finals.

adamtx11

Postby adamtx11 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 pm

kaspar wrote:
Omerta wrote:

What? Yes it is. It has been for months. It might change as firms are added/dropped but the list always comes out before spring finals.

Would you mind PM'ing me a copy of the list?

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 pm

kaspar wrote:
Omerta wrote:

Really? I just checked, and I only see the list from last year. Weird.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri May 20, 2011 12:42 pm

kaspar wrote:
Omerta wrote:

I checked the website a few minutes ago and I could only find last year's list. Please link if it is available.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”