Davis 3L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:09 pm

ejjones wrote:Davis 3L-

When you say "Try to explain why you would be a good fit for the King Hall community", can you elaborate/clarify? Do you mean discuss what the individual on the waitlist can bring to the school/student body



No, not necessarily what you can bring. More like, explain how the small class size, clinics, and "community" feel appeal to you. It doesn't have to be complicated...just say you're grateful to be waitlisted, and that if offered admission, you would likely attend because you are drawn to Davis for X, Y, Z. For example:

"I'd like to attend King Hall because my mindset seems consistent with many of your current students'. I would cherish the opportunity to attend a school where students are willing to share notes and professors have students over for dinner. I think this creates the best environment for the study of law, and thus would greatly like to be a part of it."

*Warning, don't copy that.

I guess it's more of a tone thing. Don't make it sound like it's all about you. A lot of people write letters that sound like this:

"I want to attend UCD because I want to practice environmental law. I took many enviro law classes in college. I worked at Sierra Club last year. I think Davis is a good fit for me because I can take advantage of the clinics. Going to Davis can help me achieve my goals."
Last edited by davis3l on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby articulably suspect » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:39 pm

davis3l wrote:
ejjones wrote:Davis 3L-

When you say "Try to explain why you would be a good fit for the King Hall community", can you elaborate/clarify? Do you mean discuss what the individual on the waitlist can bring to the school/student body



No, not necessarily what you can bring. More like, explain how the small class size, clinics, and "community" feel appeal to you. It doesn't have to be complicated...just say you're grateful to be waitlisted, and that if offered admission, you would likely attend because you are drawn to Davis for X, Y, Z. For example:

"I'd like to attend King Hall because my mindset seems consistent with many of your current students. I would cherish the opportunity to attend a school where students are willing to share notes and professors have students over for dinner. I think this creates the best environment for the study of law, and thus would greatly like to be a part of it."

*Warning, don't copy that.

I guess it's more of a tone thing. Don't make it sound like it's all about you. A lot of people write letters that sound like this:

"I want to attend UCD because I want to practice environmental law. I took many enviro law classes in college. I worked at Sierra Club last year. I think Davis is a good fit for me because I can take advantage of the clinics. Going to Davis can help me achieve my goals."


I see.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby sanpiero » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Davis 3L - any idea how difficult it is to transfer to Davis from a slightly higher ranked school (i.e. 30-50)? I know they take only a limited number of transfers (something like 11 in a recent year), so I figure it's quite difficult. Also, if you have any anecdotal evidence on how transfers fare at OCI, it'd be great if you could share. TIA

EDITed for precision

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Let's make a deal:

I'll pay you an application fee and apply before your deadline and in return you give me a decision (or even a WL) before my tuition deposits are due at nearly every other decent law school in the country. I don't think that's too much to ask at all. I certainly don't mean to take it out on you, but Davis's lack of transparency is really rubbing me the wrong way.

davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:06 pm

sanpiero wrote:Davis 3L - any idea how difficult it is to transfer to Davis from a slightly higher ranked school (i.e. 30-50)? I know they take only a limited number of transfers (something like 11 in a recent year), so I figure it's quite difficult. Also, if you have any anecdotal evidence on how transfers fare at OCI, it'd be great if you could share. TIA

EDITed for precision



1. Transferring from a slightly higher ranked school - so you want to transfer from like Hastings, for example? I don't know anyone who has done this, but my guess would be, if you rank median+ at the 30-50 school, you could probably transfer to Davis. It would also help if you have a legitimate reason for wanting to transfer (not just because Davis had a little bump in the rankings).

2. Transfers at OCI - these days OCI sucks for pretty much everyone. But in good years, transfers have definitely fared well in OCI here. I suppose it depends where you transfer from. I believe a lot of our transfers come from USD/Loyola. If you transfer from a top 100 school, firms at Davis OCI will more or less use your 1L rank from wherever you transferred from. So if you were top 10% at Loyola, I think you would be roughly equal to a top 15% Davis student.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby Inygma » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

davis3l wrote:
sanpiero wrote:Davis 3L - any idea how difficult it is to transfer to Davis from a slightly higher ranked school (i.e. 30-50)? I know they take only a limited number of transfers (something like 11 in a recent year), so I figure it's quite difficult. Also, if you have any anecdotal evidence on how transfers fare at OCI, it'd be great if you could share. TIA

EDITed for precision



1. Transferring from a slightly higher ranked school - so you want to transfer from like Hastings, for example?



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loved that.

davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm

It wasn't an accident. Call it inspired by Swheat.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

davis3l wrote:It wasn't an accident.


Wait, you weren't serious? Now I'm really confused. :wink:

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:39 am

davis3l wrote:It wasn't an accident. Call it inspired by Swheat.


I suspect his kvetching is inspiring actual Hastings students to transfer to Davis at this point.

In any event Davis3L, whoever you are, thank you for keeping on keeping on in this thread.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:49 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
davis3l wrote:It wasn't an accident. Call it inspired by Swheat.


I suspect his kvetching is inspiring actual Hastings students to transfer to Davis at this point.

In any event Davis3L, whoever you are, thank you for keeping on keeping on in this thread.


FYI most people at Hastings don't care. They are all like "so what? who wants to live in Davis anyway?" I see the logic in their argument.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:12 am

swheat wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
davis3l wrote:It wasn't an accident. Call it inspired by Swheat.


I suspect his kvetching is inspiring actual Hastings students to transfer to Davis at this point.

In any event Davis3L, whoever you are, thank you for keeping on keeping on in this thread.


FYI most people at Hastings don't care. They are all like "so what? who wants to live in Davis anyway?" I see the logic in their argument.


Fortunately for us, USNews doesn't. :mrgreen:

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
swheat wrote:FYI most people at Hastings don't care. They are all like "so what? who wants to live in Davis anyway?" I see the logic in their argument.


Fortunately for us, USNews doesn't. :mrgreen:


I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you, especially since you seem to be plotting something with the other mods. There is no need for me to argue with you over this...I am confident that when the dust settles the truth will be made clear. I think you sense the strength in my arguments, and that's why you are not confronting them directly. Neither has Davis 3L for that matter.

As others have point out, I initially overreacted to the news. I won't be making that mistake again, and I won't be "swift-boated" as an irrational, maniacal, ultra-competitive Hastings gunner on a quest for vengeance. I'll be collecting data and presenting my argument when time permits.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 am

swheat wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
swheat wrote:FYI most people at Hastings don't care. They are all like "so what? who wants to live in Davis anyway?" I see the logic in their argument.


Fortunately for us, USNews doesn't. :mrgreen:


I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you, especially since you seem to be plotting something with the other mods. There is no need for me to argue with you over this...I am confident that when the dust settles the truth will be made clear. I think you sense the strength in my arguments, and that's why you are not confronting them directly. Neither has Davis 3L for that matter.

As others have point out, I initially overreacted to the news. I won't be making that mistake again, and I won't be "swift-boated" as an irrational, maniacal, ultra-competitive Hastings gunner on a quest for vengeance. I'll be collecting data and presenting my argument when time permits.


Go for it. In the meantime, start all the Davis v. Hastings threads you want but quit trolling the Davis students threads with your bullshit. This is an official warning.

davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:52 am

Ok enough is enough. I thought maybe after a couple days you'd cool down and use your presumably "smart" law student brain to realize why the Davis employment stats are not even remotely suspicious. I'm not going to spell it out for you because my purpose on this site is to provide hopefully objective information about my school, not to spoon feed crazies. All I will say is, don't waste time with your "arguments." This isn't moot court dude. There is no argument. Davis didn't pad the numbers...just think really really hard and you'll see the answer.
Last edited by davis3l on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby zeth006 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:53 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
swheat wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
swheat wrote:FYI most people at Hastings don't care. They are all like "so what? who wants to live in Davis anyway?" I see the logic in their argument.


Fortunately for us, USNews doesn't. :mrgreen:


I'm not going to continue going back and forth with you, especially since you seem to be plotting something with the other mods. There is no need for me to argue with you over this...I am confident that when the dust settles the truth will be made clear. I think you sense the strength in my arguments, and that's why you are not confronting them directly. Neither has Davis 3L for that matter.

As others have point out, I initially overreacted to the news. I won't be making that mistake again, and I won't be "swift-boated" as an irrational, maniacal, ultra-competitive Hastings gunner on a quest for vengeance. I'll be collecting data and presenting my argument when time permits.


Go for it. In the meantime, start all the Davis v. Hastings threads you want but quit trolling the Davis students threads with your bullshit. This is an official warning.


This.

A comment's tone says a lot about where a person is coming from. In this case, the tone I've been [strike]hearing[/strike] seeing in his other posts on Davis rankings-related topics is one of not-so-masked indignation. The only other group of people I've come across who've often resorted to similarly emotionally charged statements is that which includes Apple tards.


EDIT: Give it a rest, bro. In the other Davis admissions thread, most of us were polite enough to hold off on the flaming. But it seems like you've got a lot of free time. I mean you've been visiting other threads and jumping in with your trolling and venting your pent-up frustration. Last I checked, there is no USC/UCLA-styled Davis Law and Hastings Law enemy school rivalry. You don't have people throwing eggs at each other anymore. College ended a long time ago.


Unless you're a super genius who breezes through law school finals, I'm not so sure that starting another "Davis' ranking gains are fake" discussion is the best use of your time. I'm not talking down to you. But I think you'll do yourself and the rest of us here a small favor if you find better ways to pass your free time. Otherwise you risk coming off as a butt-hurt internet tough guy. On TLS.

User avatar
HungryHippo
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby HungryHippo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:26 am

Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 pm

HungryHippo wrote:Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!


+1

Yeah, it seemed like Davis had a continuation of undergrad feel. Not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it might be a little awkward at first for married and/or older students. I know they're there, question is, how well do they fit in?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby 20160810 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:14 pm

drdolittle wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!


+1

Yeah, it seemed like Davis had a continuation of undergrad feel. Not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it might be a little awkward at first for married and/or older students. I know they're there, question is, how well do they fit in?


I feel like an awful lot of people take a couple years off between then undergrad and law school. I am a 24 year old 1L and probably about the norm for my class, and I know several married students.

davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 pm

davis3l wrote:
Inygma wrote:Are there many married students? Is there a club or anything for married students?

Do many people take their SO out with their law school buddies?


There are quite a few married students. I can't really put a number on it, but I know at least a handful just in my class. There isn't a club for married students, and they don't necessarily all hang out just with each other.

Sure lots of people take their SO out with law school buddies. Pretty much every circle of friends has at least 1 person who is the SO of a law student.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:28 pm

davis3l wrote:Ok enough is enough. I thought maybe after a couple days you'd cool down and use your presumably "smart" law student brain to realize why the Davis employment stats are not even remotely suspicious. I'm not going to spell it out for you because my purpose on this site is to provide hopefully objective information about my school, not to spoon feed crazies. All I will say is, don't waste time with your "arguments." This isn't moot court dude. There is no argument. Davis didn't pad the numbers...just think really really hard and you'll see the answer.


Submitted 2008 employment stats?

User avatar
oopivyoo
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby oopivyoo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 pm

drdolittle wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!


+1

Yeah, it seemed like Davis had a continuation of undergrad feel. Not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it might be a little awkward at first for married and/or older students. I know they're there, question is, how well do they fit in?


This was my question when coming to Davis too. I like my anonymity on here, so I will leave my class year out. I am married with kids and personally chose Davis over Hastings because of the town. I don't know if you have kids or not, but this place is perfect for families. Every elementary school in Davis is a "California Distinguished School" and there are tons of parks. I know quite a few married people in school without kids too. I was a little older than the rest of the class coming in, but not much. I didn't feel out of place or anything, but it is such a small school that it is kind of weird when you see a lot of people dating and breaking up. It kind of reminded me of HS my first year, but after that it kind of calmed down. As far as SOs are concerned, I think the only ones that don't hang out with the rest of the law school students are the ones that live out of town. My wife hangs out with some of the women in the law school without me, and we occasionally go out together for bar review. Then again, there are some couples that I tend to forget which one is in law school because they both hang out around campus all the time.

User avatar
HungryHippo
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:55 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby HungryHippo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:18 am

oopivyoo wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!


+1

Yeah, it seemed like Davis had a continuation of undergrad feel. Not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it might be a little awkward at first for married and/or older students. I know they're there, question is, how well do they fit in?


This was my question when coming to Davis too. I like my anonymity on here, so I will leave my class year out. I am married with kids and personally chose Davis over Hastings because of the town. I don't know if you have kids or not, but this place is perfect for families. Every elementary school in Davis is a "California Distinguished School" and there are tons of parks. I know quite a few married people in school without kids too. I was a little older than the rest of the class coming in, but not much. I didn't feel out of place or anything, but it is such a small school that it is kind of weird when you see a lot of people dating and breaking up. It kind of reminded me of HS my first year, but after that it kind of calmed down. As far as SOs are concerned, I think the only ones that don't hang out with the rest of the law school students are the ones that live out of town. My wife hangs out with some of the women in the law school without me, and we occasionally go out together for bar review. Then again, there are some couples that I tend to forget which one is in law school because they both hang out around campus all the time.



Thank you for your anecdotal response. It's reassuring to hear that your wife hangs around with other law students (without you for that matter :D ) We don't have children yet, so my wife was worried that she would be lonely in Davis.

.... Now...... if they would only accept me

angela
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby angela » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:26 pm

hi there,
I was wondering if you could offer some advice about a good location to live in. I heard that West Davis is really loud with lots of undergrads. Is that true? Would living in South Davis or Central Davis be the best option?
Thanks!

davis3l
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby davis3l » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 pm

angela wrote:hi there,
I was wondering if you could offer some advice about a good location to live in. I heard that West Davis is really loud with lots of undergrads. Is that true? Would living in South Davis or Central Davis be the best option?
Thanks!


West Davis has some nice complexes, so I wouldn't write it off. But if you're looking for quiet, undergrad-free complexes, South Davis is probably your best bet.

From a couple pages back:

"The complexes in Davis vary based on how close to campus they are. As a general rule, the ones within a couple miles of campus are pretty much like normal college apartments...not really high-end, fairly noisy with lots of undergrads, almost like motel setup. But they're useful because you can walk or bike to school. If you're looking for "nice" apartments (newer, less noisy, more like suburb apartments), you need to look south of highway 80 or west of highway 113."

angela
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 am

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Postby angela » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:50 am

davis3l wrote:
angela wrote:hi there,
I was wondering if you could offer some advice about a good location to live in. I heard that West Davis is really loud with lots of undergrads. Is that true? Would living in South Davis or Central Davis be the best option?
Thanks!


West Davis has some nice complexes, so I wouldn't write it off. But if you're looking for quiet, undergrad-free complexes, South Davis is probably your best bet.

From a couple pages back:

"The complexes in Davis vary based on how close to campus they are. As a general rule, the ones within a couple miles of campus are pretty much like normal college apartments...not really high-end, fairly noisy with lots of undergrads, almost like motel setup. But they're useful because you can walk or bike to school. If you're looking for "nice" apartments (newer, less noisy, more like suburb apartments), you need to look south of highway 80 or west of highway 113."


Thank you, this is definitely helpful!




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010 and 6 guests