Davis 3L taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Inygma

Silver

Re: Davis 3L taking questions

Post by Inygma » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:48 am

HungryHippo wrote:
oopivyoo wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
HungryHippo wrote:Davis 3L - Are there many married students? Are most of the students just out of college or is there a good mix?

Thanks in advance!
+1

Yeah, it seemed like Davis had a continuation of undergrad feel. Not necessarily a bad thing overall, but it might be a little awkward at first for married and/or older students. I know they're there, question is, how well do they fit in?
This was my question when coming to Davis too. I like my anonymity on here, so I will leave my class year out. I am married with kids and personally chose Davis over Hastings because of the town. I don't know if you have kids or not, but this place is perfect for families. Every elementary school in Davis is a "California Distinguished School" and there are tons of parks. I know quite a few married people in school without kids too. I was a little older than the rest of the class coming in, but not much. I didn't feel out of place or anything, but it is such a small school that it is kind of weird when you see a lot of people dating and breaking up. It kind of reminded me of HS my first year, but after that it kind of calmed down. As far as SOs are concerned, I think the only ones that don't hang out with the rest of the law school students are the ones that live out of town. My wife hangs out with some of the women in the law school without me, and we occasionally go out together for bar review. Then again, there are some couples that I tend to forget which one is in law school because they both hang out around campus all the time.

Thank you for your anecdotal response. It's reassuring to hear that your wife hangs around with other law students (without you for that matter :D ) We don't have children yet, so my wife was worried that she would be lonely in Davis.

.... Now...... if they would only accept me
My wife has the exact same worry! It sounds like Davis seems open to SOs though, which is nice.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:40 pm

For people who prefer quiet, I cannot recommend South Davis enough.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:13 pm

For housing I would definitely look into private rental companies, in addition to apartment complexes. Though this was my first time renting a place, I found renting through a rental company was tremendously beneficial. Explore townhouses/houses/plex properties. Because I went this route, I will be living in a quiet area for very cheap. I also have more liberties I believe, then I would have had through an apartment. Because Davis is a college-oriented town, I can't help but believe the apartment complexes are taking advantage of students. This may not be true, but the prices at a lot of the complexes were a lot higher for a smaller place, then I have noticed through the rental companies.

Here are some rental companies in Davis that might help you find a place.

http://www.acadianmanagement.com (The company I am renting through, have been very nice and helpful)

http://www.kingproperties.com

http://www.davisrent.com

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Anyone considering living in West Sac, Woodland, or Dixon? Since King hall is right off the freeway, these towns are pretty easily reachable, and they seem to be 100-200/month cheaper. I definitely don't want to waste a lot of time driving, but 15 mins isn't too bad...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Im very interested in Davis and have heard that it is an awesome college town and that picnic day is awesome.

My question is:

My significant other wont be attending law school or graduate school. Is there any sort of infrastructure for people to find work in Davis that is not affiliated with the UC? Like do people work in Sact and commute etc..

I am also interested in Davis over hastings because it is attached to an undergraduate institution.

Do you feel that there is a supportive community at Davis?

thanks for your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:53 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Im very interested in Davis and have heard that it is an awesome college town and that picnic day is awesome.

My question is:

My significant other wont be attending law school or graduate school. Is there any sort of infrastructure for people to find work in Davis that is not affiliated with the UC? Like do people work in Sact and commute etc..

I am also interested in Davis over hastings because it is attached to an undergraduate institution.

Do you feel that there is a supportive community at Davis?

thanks for your time.
1. Jobs for spouses - I'm not sure what you mean by "infrastructure" for finding jobs. Probably the best way to find a job in Davis is to browse Sac Craigslist. There are plenty of jobs here that aren't affiliated with UC Davis. But I guess it depends on what kind of job your spouse wants. Davis doesn't exactly have a lot of "professional" job opportunities (lawyer, architect), but there are lots of teaching and retail options.

As for commuting from Davis to Sac...it's very doable. There isn't much traffic, so your spouse could easily work in downtown Sac and only have a 20-30 minute commute.

2. Community feel - I can't really say much to this other than yes, there is a "supportive community" here.

windslashz

New

Post by windslashz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 am

Inygma wrote:For housing I would definitely look into private rental companies, in addition to apartment complexes. Though this was my first time renting a place, I found renting through a rental company was tremendously beneficial. Explore townhouses/houses/plex properties. Because I went this route, I will be living in a quiet area for very cheap. I also have more liberties I believe, then I would have had through an apartment. Because Davis is a college-oriented town, I can't help but believe the apartment complexes are taking advantage of students. This may not be true, but the prices at a lot of the complexes were a lot higher for a smaller place, then I have noticed through the rental companies.

Here are some rental companies in Davis that might help you find a place.

http://www.acadianmanagement.com (The company I am renting through, have been very nice and helpful)

http://www.kingproperties.com

http://www.davisrent.com
Depends on how many bar reviews (drinking with fellow law students) you want to go to and how much you want to hang out on campus. If you are an older student or don't plan on attending too many social events than those places are fine, but I think living in town gives you a better experience and there are some decently cheap options if you keep looking.

As for the poster who was asking about older students, there are quite a few and most us 'younger students' love interacting with them (we don't outcast you!!). I find most of them pretty cool and interesting to hang around.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 2:27 pm

davis3l wrote: 2. Davis v. tier 2 - I would PROBABLY still take Davis over a tier 2 with scholarship. I guess it depends which tier 2, what location, what scholarship. Here are some things to consider: a) Davis gives a ton of grants to 2Ls and 3Ls (unless you come from a rich background). So even though you might have a 20k scholarship to a tier 2, you might lose the scholarship after 1L, then be left paying full price for 2L and 3L. At Davis you might pay close to full price for 1L, but then you get 10-15k grants for 2L and 3L. b) Location of the tier 2 also matters a lot. If it's a school like Loyola, I'd say forget it...way too much competition around LA. But if it's somewhere like Houston (top school in a large city), then it would be a close decision.
Hey there,
just to follow-up on this: is that really a fair estimate? I'm 37 y.o., made basically zilch last year in earnings b/c I was in undergrad, and have like a grand in the bank. I hope to receive strong need-based aid from davis and/or Hastings.
$35,000 over 3 years is a nice prospect for someone without merit $$ being offered him.

Thanks!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
davis3l wrote: 2. Davis v. tier 2 - I would PROBABLY still take Davis over a tier 2 with scholarship. I guess it depends which tier 2, what location, what scholarship. Here are some things to consider: a) Davis gives a ton of grants to 2Ls and 3Ls (unless you come from a rich background). So even though you might have a 20k scholarship to a tier 2, you might lose the scholarship after 1L, then be left paying full price for 2L and 3L. At Davis you might pay close to full price for 1L, but then you get 10-15k grants for 2L and 3L. b) Location of the tier 2 also matters a lot. If it's a school like Loyola, I'd say forget it...way too much competition around LA. But if it's somewhere like Houston (top school in a large city), then it would be a close decision.
Hey there,
just to follow-up on this: is that really a fair estimate? I'm 37 y.o., made basically zilch last year in earnings b/c I was in undergrad, and have like a grand in the bank. I hope to receive strong need-based aid from davis and/or Hastings.
$35,000 over 3 years is a nice prospect for someone without merit $$ being offered him.

Thanks!
If you really have nothing then I would expect at least 5-10k for 1L, then maybe a little more for for 2L and 3L. I'm not a financial aid expert so I really don't know how much they give these days. I'm just basing this off how much I've heard friends get.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 6:44 pm

davis3l wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
Hey there,

Thanks!
If you really have nothing then I would expect at least 5-10k for 1L, then maybe a little more for for 2L and 3L. I'm not a financial aid expert so I really don't know how much they give these days. I'm just basing this off how much I've heard friends get.
Thanks man. I actually earned $7,000 + $2,000 in unemployment + received about $15,000 in scholarships/grants. But yes, about a grand in the bank (EFC =O), and no parental support since many, many years ago.
Thanks for the input. That would help me make a choice, with a strong presumption of trimming down the debt by virtue of, you know, my near-poverty :)

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Where is my acceptance letter?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 6:55 pm

Bert wrote:Where is my acceptance letter?
I don't think it's on this thread.
But at least you asked a question, I suppose.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
davis3l wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
Hey there,

Thanks!
Thanks man. I actually earned $7,000 + $2,000 in unemployment + received about $15,000 in scholarships/grants. But yes, about a grand in the bank (EFC =O), and no parental support since many, many years ago.
Thanks for the input. That would help me make a choice, with a strong presumption of trimming down the debt by virtue of, you know, my near-poverty :)
Their minimum grant for this year is 12K. So if you get anything, that will be the least as far as I understand. I only got 10K, but my grants were merit based and I didn't qualify for any need based money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu May 06, 2010 7:47 pm

Sweet. Thanks for that!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm

BUMP because thread title should now read "Davis GRADUATE taking questions." I hope you new students have as good three years as I've had.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 am

davis3l wrote:BUMP because thread title should now read "Davis GRADUATE taking questions." I hope you new students have as good three years as I've had.
Congrats!!! Where are you off to now?

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 am

tommytahoe wrote:Sweet. Thanks for that!
To further your expectations ...

My EFC was just under $11K. ... They gave me $12K in need grant. Which pretty much covers out-of-state fee. I would hope that for $0 EFC they'd pump in quite a bit more.

And congrats 3l. What's your next move? And I can't recall if this has been addressed, but how involved/successful was Career Services in your job search? Other TLSers at other schools tend to say those offices are typically not so great (at least at non-t14) and that students should seriously bust hump quite a bit on their own to secure post-grad job.

Not that I would expect career services to do everything for me. Just curious what your experience has been.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

ozarkhack wrote:

My EFC was just under $11K. ... They gave me $12K in need grant. Which pretty much covers out-of-state fee. I would hope that for $0 EFC they'd pump in quite a bit more.

And congrats 3l. What's your next move? And I can't recall if this has been addressed, but how involved/successful was Career Services in your job search? Other TLSers at other schools tend to say those offices are typically not so great (at least at non-t14) and that students should seriously bust hump quite a bit on their own to secure post-grad job.

Not that I would expect career services to do everything for me. Just curious what your experience has been.
I can't really say we're I'm headed. I will only say that I'm not currently looking for a job.

Career services has been fine here. In my mind, career services at any school only serves two functions: post job listings and give decent advice about resumes/cover letters. Really the advice part isn't even necessary because there are so many books and websites these days on job search strategies. But I guess for the type of people who half way through 1L don't even know what "OCI" is, career services is more valuable because they definitely spoon feed you a lot of info about what to do and avoid when looking for a job.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Fri May 14, 2010 1:44 pm

davis3l wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:

I can't really say we're I'm headed. I will only say that I'm not currently looking for a job.

Career services has been fine here. In my mind, career services at any school only serves two functions: post job listings and give decent advice about resumes/cover letters. Really the advice part isn't even necessary because there are so many books and websites these days on job search strategies. But I guess for the type of people who half way through 1L don't even know what "OCI" is, career services is more valuable because they definitely spoon feed you a lot of info about what to do and avoid when looking for a job.
hmmmm...me thinks davis3l = Kevin Johnson. :wink:

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to help us out. Your posts have definitely helped a lot of people!

davis3l

New

Post by davis3l » Fri May 14, 2010 2:00 pm

haha I wish I was KJ. Plus I'd hope my posts here have been slightly less biased than KJ's probably would be.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Bumping in case anyone wants to pose some questions for the UCD students on this board.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mrak

New

Post by Mrak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 am

Graduated from UCD a while back (mid 2000s). Most of the dozen friends who graduated with me work in government or small-mid law. No big law. UCD had no rep outside of Northern C. Many of the big law hires straight out of law school are no longer working in big law. Terrible facilities but I hear they're working on it now. Had a job teaching undergrads so it helped with tuition a lot. Hot as hell during the summer studying for the bar (100+ every day). Nice college town but it got very crowded towards the end of my stay.

primusux

Bronze

Post by primusux » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:38 am

Can anyone tell me why google maps shows a bus stop on Moore Blvd/Pole Line area, but when you look at Unitrans there is nothing that stops there? Is there an easy way to catch a bus up there? Looks to be a 20-30 min bike ride from there...yikes.
Also, if you buy a parking pass where do you park? The large structure next to Mondavi?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:15 am

primusux wrote:Can anyone tell me why google maps shows a bus stop on Moore Blvd/Pole Line area, but when you look at Unitrans there is nothing that stops there? Is there an easy way to catch a bus up there? Looks to be a 20-30 min bike ride from there...yikes.
Also, if you buy a parking pass where do you park? The large structure next to Mondavi?
Yeah, and there's a big lot behind the structure too. Parking is never really a problem, though the few spots right in front of King Hall go pretty quickly after 5 p.m.

haider

New

Post by haider » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:43 pm

[quote="primusux"]Can anyone tell me why google maps shows a bus stop on Moore Blvd/Pole Line area, but when you look at Unitrans there is nothing that stops there? Is there an easy way to catch a bus up there? Looks to be a 20-30 min bike ride

You can pick up the L line at Pole and Donner, which will take to The Silo on campus, which is right next to the law school.
map here: http://unitrans.ucdavis.edu/schedules/2 ... ce_map.pdf

Also just FYI, as a grad student you do need to purchase a bus pass which is $180 for the year.
http://unitrans.ucdavis.edu/fares/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”