Any UNC law students?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TarHeel11

Re: Any UNC law students?

Postby TarHeel11 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:59 am

laughingberries wrote:do i have to run parallels on my mac to use the testing software?

(between my hiking/farmers market/mac questions, its' pretty obvious i'm from the northwest :lol: )

They switched exam software last semester to Electronic Blue Book, which publishes a Mac specific version. The exam policy for Macs actually prohibits you from running a Windows emulator during the test.

el_jugador

Postby el_jugador » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:42 pm

Im a 1L at UNC and thought id add my 2 cents.

{In regards to the quality of life, do people from the law school tend to hang out together and socialize much outside of class, or does everyone go their own way for their (limited) down town?}

Life here has been great. There is a lot going on within the law school and on other parts of campus. If you like to watch sports there are some of the best athletic teams in the nation here. I been to a bunch of games with classmates already. We also have a bar review every Thursday usually on Franklin St. Downtown is great. Chapel Hill is one of the best college towns in the US.

{How would you describe your classmates and level of competition? }

My classmates are all friendly. People want to be successful but that doesn't prohibit them from being nice and helpful.

{How about career services and job prospects in general?}
I'm a 1L so no job yet but I have library is found the people in career services to be very helpful. They have already helped me with my resume and networking. I was even able to get help over the Christmas break.

Also, I called and spoke with the dean of career services prior to attending UNC to discuss the idea of returning to my home state after I graduate. Overall career services has been very helpful.

{And can you also comment about the facilities (classroom, law library).}
Not the nicest I've seen. UGA's much nicer. But it all functions. Classrooms have outlets and wifi.

{I will be visiting UNC in 2 weeks, where do law students usually find housing?}
All over. The sweetest place I've seen so far though, is the homes directly across from the law school.

{Also, are the exams handwritten or typed?}
Typed. Handwriting exams was actually discouraged by one of my professors.

{What factors did it come down to when choosing this school over others?}
I tried to find the right balance for me between debt and prestige. I also really enjoyed my visit to UNC.

{How has your overall experience been with UNC law?}
Great, I made a lot of friends and have found everyone in the school to be very helpful. There are a lot of great resources here if you use them. Also you cant beat the free tickets to bball games.

jss1100

Postby jss1100 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 am

el_jugador wrote:{I will be visiting UNC in 2 weeks, where do law students usually find housing?}
All over. The sweetest place I've seen so far though, is the homes directly across from the law school.

Do you know the name of these apartments so I can more easily look them up? Are they prefurnished? If not, do you know of any decent prefurnished?

Any observations on the job prospects for students below median? I only make like 25k now so I want to make sure that even if I dont end up above median I will have a good increase in pay when its all said and done. lol

el_jugador

Postby el_jugador » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:35 am

Across the street from the law school are private homes that people rent out. Some of the on-campus housing is furnished. I don't know of any furnished apartments but here are some ive heard of: Glen Lennox, Alta Springs, Chapel Ridge, Finley Forest, a few lived at the Verge, and some lived in southern village.

Also Im not sure how they pay breaks down in terms of class rank but I believe most starting non-profit jobs start at like 35k or 40k. You better do some research though to make sure.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm

I was wondering, as someone from the northeast, if any current students have had the experience of trying to establish residency after 1L and could share their experience? Thanks!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:I was wondering, as someone from the northeast, if any current students have had the experience of trying to establish residency after 1L and could share their experience? Thanks!

Not a current student, but it's been fairly well established that it's next to impossible to gain residency. Ken had it listed as one of the hardest states in the country to gain residency in for LS purposes in one of his posts. I'm sure that post would be pretty helpful it you wanted to search for it.

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon May 03, 2010 7:16 pm

If anyone is still taking questions, do most students have something lined up for 1L/2L summer? UNC's employment #'s concern me a bit.

stab master arson

Postby stab master arson » Thu May 06, 2010 8:12 pm

solotee wrote:If anyone is still taking questions, do most students have something lined up for 1L/2L summer? UNC's employment #'s concern me a bit.
I haven't asked the career services office people about numbers, but all but one person of the dozen or so classmates I've talked to about this had something lined up. That last person may have landed something in the three weeks since I talked to her about it.

At least four are working as research assistants for various professors.
A few are working nonprofit internships.
A few are working for the state government.
Two or three are doing judicial externships or clerking for judges.
Two or three are working for firms or solo practices.
One is studying abroad.

I have no idea whether that's a representative sample.

solotee

Postby solotee » Thu May 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Anecdotes are definitely appreciated, thanks!

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 18, 2010 12:43 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
insertclevernamehere wrote:I was wondering, as someone from the northeast, if any current students have had the experience of trying to establish residency after 1L and could share their experience? Thanks!

Not a current student, but it's been fairly well established that it's next to impossible to gain residency. Ken had it listed as one of the hardest states in the country to gain residency in for LS purposes in one of his posts. I'm sure that post would be pretty helpful it you wanted to search for it.

I also am aware that establishing residency in NC is very difficult, esp. within a year. However, if the difficulty lies in the very high quantity of measures one must take (but each of which on its own is doable), then it would be a problem solved by being thorough, hardy, and determined. If the difficulty lies in the quality of the hoops one needs to jump through, then maybe one simply has to be convincing enough to the powers that be that one wants to live and stay in NC indeifinitely.
So, does anyone know (preferably one who has gone through the process) if it is about "legwork" or about the unpredictable judgment of a panel of very discriminating judges?
If it's the former, then it just means doing all the things necessary, no?

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue May 18, 2010 12:49 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

I also am aware that establishing residency in NC is very difficult, esp. within a year. However, if the difficulty lies in the very high quantity of measures one must take (but each of which on its own is doable), then it would be a problem solved by being thorough, hardy, and determined. If the difficulty lies in the quality of the hoops one needs to jump through, then maybe one simply has to be convincing enough to the powers that be that one wants to live and stay in NC indeifinitely.
So, does anyone know (preferably one who has gone through the process) if it is about "legwork" or about the unpredictable judgment of a panel of very discriminating judges?

Here are links that should answer all your questions. There are dozens of UNC residency threads on here if you search for them. This info. comes from the TLS UNC profile (just look at the residency section) and a link that it offers (which is from the State of NC regarding residency). Hope it's helpful.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/unc-law-school.html
http://regweb.unc.edu/residency/ncres.php

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 18, 2010 2:31 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Here are links that should answer all your questions. There are dozens of UNC residency threads on here if you search for them. This info. comes from the TLS UNC profile (just look at the residency section) and a link that it offers (which is from the State of NC regarding residency). Hope it's helpful.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/unc-law-school.html
http://regweb.unc.edu/residency/ncres.php

Hey thanks!
If they offer me a spot off the WL, and if I can see a reasonable way by which I manage to establish residency, then a UNC JD would be mighty hard to resist. Major savings potential there.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDL

Postby PDL » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:40 pm

beccabea wrote:Can anybody attest to whether the head of the legal writing program is as bad as I've heard? I read on another UNC Law chat board that she "needs a brain transplant."
Also, I haven't had a chance to visit yet, but what should I be expecting facilities-wise? I've read several comments about them being "blah," but honestly, I go to a public university, and I'm not used to beautiful classrooms anyway.. I just want to make sure I'm not in for something shocking when I visit.
Also, do you happen to know if there are any get-togethers for entering 1Ls the summer before classes start? I live in Charlotte, so I assume there'll be a few other UNC Law students around.

Most people seem to love the head of the legal writing program. I guess I shouldn't be, but I am surprised someone said something so rude about her on another forum. If the legal writing program is a concern, it is my understanding that a major revamp of it is planned for next year. In the past, most of the sections have been taught by adjuncts. The school is currently hiring full-time faculty to teach legal writing.

The building was built in the 1960s with an addition in the early 1990s. It is what you would expect of an institutional building paid for by an (at that time fairly poor) state government. It is blah, but it is functional. It is also slated for replacement in the near future as the law school has outgrown the building. Three years ago one of the brick facades cracked during an intense summer heat wave that coincided with the start of classes, and they closed one wing of the building for most of the fall semester. That jump started plans for a new building, but the economy has since slowed that momentum down.

There are usually some chances to hang out with future classmates in Chapel Hill the summer before classes start.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:24 am

Thanks!

I probably sound petty worrying about the facilities. I'm not worried over how pretty they are -- I've just read in various posts where people are saying that they're cramped. How bad is that, exactly? A big problem? Bad enough to be a consideration when choosing a school? I'm sure I'll get some idea when I manage to come and visit, but you guys will be able to tell me how it affects your daily life, if at all.

Also, what kind of political leaning does the law school have?

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 am

beccabea wrote:Thanks!

I probably sound petty worrying about the facilities. I'm not worried over how pretty they are -- I've just read in various posts where people are saying that they're cramped. How bad is that, exactly? A big problem? Bad enough to be a consideration when choosing a school? I'm sure I'll get some idea when I manage to come and visit, but you guys will be able to tell me how it affects your daily life, if at all.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking into account facilities. But for me it wasn't a huge factor. I figure the bargain on tuition at UNC makes up for the building being a little older and showing its age.

The building is cramped because they increased the class size a couple of years ago from 220 to 255. Where that shows up for students is mainly in finding space for group activities. I've never had trouble finding space to study by myself. But sometimes it's difficult when one of the student organizations I'm involved with needs a room and they're all booked up. It doesn't really affect classes because they get priority on space and the increased number of students really only means larger classes for the already large classes. I don't think there's a huge difference between 75 people in a class and 85 people in a class.

I'd describe the political leaning of the school as center-left. The faculty is generally very liberal. The students are all over the place, but most seem to be moderate but left-leaning. Both the Federalist Society and the American Constitution Society are very active. I think no matter what your political stripe is, you'll find people here who have similar beliefs.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:53 pm

That sounds reasonable to me. How about the professors -- are they generally pretty accessible if students need help outside of class?

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 pm

beccabea wrote:That sounds reasonable to me. How about the professors -- are they generally pretty accessible if students need help outside of class?

Out of the three professors I had 1st semester:

1) Very accessible
2) Accessible by appointment/ gives home phone number/ goes out for beers
3) Accessible only in class

beccabea wrote:Thanks!

I actually like the facilities, they're cozy. There is never a shortage of places to sneak off to and study.
The only time it gets cramped is near the lockers when students gather in the hallway. I had to go around the students about once a week, but it's not anything inconvenient.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”