Berkeley Students (Boalties) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Dignan

Re: Berkeley Students (Boalties) Taking Questions

Postby Dignan » Thu May 06, 2010 3:38 am

amyLAchemist wrote:We don't use testing software, so you can use whatever computer you want without difficulty. We just type out exams in Word and upload them.

Seriously? That is awesome. Do you have to use Word, or can you use any text editor and then save/upload your answers as a PDF?

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 am

It's .doc format only. But if your word processor/text editor can save a .doc file then no problem. I use OpenOffice, so I haven't made an issue of it with student services, though I would prefer to use a different app and upload a pdf.

Just so you know, if you plan to take the California bar exam, you have to run Windows. I'm less sure on this point, but I think it also has to be a PC (i.e., no boot camp).

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu May 06, 2010 3:54 am

doomswitched wrote:Just so you know, if you plan to take the California bar exam, you have to run Windows. I'm less sure on this point, but I think it also has to be a PC (i.e., no boot camp).

It looks like you can take the California bar exam with Mac and boot camp. In fact, the instructions say that Mac users have to use boot camp. Here's the link (the Mac information is about halfway down):

--LinkRemoved--

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Thu May 06, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks! As I said, "less sure"

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Thu May 06, 2010 4:12 am

While we're on the subject, I noticed the following statement on the Berkeley Law web site: "Some exams may be taken on a laptop (Windows or Mac) rather than in a bluebook."

Some exams? Are there profs around that still require you to handwrite exams in a blue book? If so, I should probably drop out now. :)

doomswitched

Postby doomswitched » Thu May 06, 2010 11:31 am

Dignan wrote:While we're on the subject, I noticed the following statement on the Berkeley Law web site: "Some exams may be taken on a laptop (Windows or Mac) rather than in a bluebook."

Some exams? Are there profs around that still require you to handwrite exams in a blue book? If so, I should probably drop out now. :)

I have not heard of any exams being written by hand, but one of my professors floated the idea. He was met with intense resistance and dropped it. But, yes, professors could require a bluebook exam. There are also multiple choice exams that require good-ol scantron sheets.

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Thu May 06, 2010 11:36 am

Have you guys heard any stories of Boalt grads having trouble with having their loans repaid through the LRAP program? I'm considering going to Berkeley over a $135,000 scholarship at Northwestern. I'll probably end up doing Public Interest work, so Berkeley's LRAP is a plus, but 220k of debt is terrifying nonetheless, and I feel like I might be crazy for going at sticker. Any insight would be much appreciated.

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Fri May 07, 2010 10:23 am

frankjones wrote:Have you guys heard any stories of Boalt grads having trouble with having their loans repaid through the LRAP program? I'm considering going to Berkeley over a $135,000 scholarship at Northwestern. I'll probably end up doing Public Interest work, so Berkeley's LRAP is a plus, but 220k of debt is terrifying nonetheless, and I feel like I might be crazy for going at sticker. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Its really hard to make general statements about our LRAP, and as a rising 2L I haven't fully explored its fine print yet. There is always a bit of grumbling about the details (hey, some degree of rightous indignation kinda comes with the territory at Berkeley). Specifically, the biggest gripes I've heard about are the effects of calculated income when you are married (if your spouse makes it will be half of your joint income, seems fair to me) and the types of qualifying employment (i.e. your work must be "law-related.") I believe this second requirement has been modified for next year's class.

You should of course do your homework on LRAP, crunch numbers, talk to the financial aid office, etc. but I think you can count on Berkeley's commitment to maintaining one of the most generous LRAP programs around.
The details are all here.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Are students enrolled with SHIP covered during 1L and 2L summers? Are there additional fees for summer medical coverage?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Also, here's the new TLS article on the Boalt LRAP:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guide-to-lrap-berkeley.html

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Fri May 14, 2010 1:14 pm

How generous is Boalt in terms of scholarship money? I don't see many people on LSN with a lot of $$$. Also what kind of numbers would you need to be considered?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri May 14, 2010 1:21 pm

hellokitty wrote:How generous is Boalt in terms of scholarship money? I don't see many people on LSN with a lot of $$$. Also what kind of numbers would you need to be considered?

Would love to hear an answer to this question... Boalt tuition is absolutely maniacal.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 14, 2010 1:24 pm

hellokitty wrote:How generous is Boalt in terms of scholarship money? I don't see many people on LSN with a lot of $$$. Also what kind of numbers would you need to be considered?

I think that most (if not all) of Boalt's merit aid is disbursed via the Matching Scholarship program. So basically, you have to get a merit scholarship to another T14 school (except Northwestern) and then submit this scholarship to Boalt via an application (with an essay). They match a handful of these every year, but the criteria is pretty mysterious -- this year, they've matched several full scholarships from Michigan and Duke, but not partial scholarships from higher-ranked schools like Chicago and Columbia.

Historically, they've been pretty tight with merit aid, but based on anecdotal experiences on TLS, I think they may have been a bit more generous this year.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri May 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

I think that most (if not all) of Boalt's merit aid is disbursed via the Matching Scholarship program. So basically, you have to get a merit scholarship to another T14 school (except Northwestern) and then submit this scholarship to Boalt via an application (with an essay). They match a handful of these every year, but the criteria is pretty mysterious -- this year, they've matched several full scholarships from Michigan and Duke, but not partial scholarships from higher-ranked schools like Chicago and Columbia.

Historically, they've been pretty tight with merit aid, but based on anecdotal experiences on TLS, I think they may have been a bit more generous this year.

Do they do partial matching?? For instance, you submit a darrow offer of 135k or whatever. Do they only match the 135k or nothing or do they have the option of offering an amount like 80k.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri May 14, 2010 2:57 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Do they do partial matching?? For instance, you submit a darrow offer of 135k or whatever. Do they only match the 135k or nothing or do they have the option of offering an amount like 80k.

From the Matching Scholarship page:

"If you are selected for a Matching Scholarship you will be guaranteed a specific level of support, spelled out in your offer letter. However, that does not mean you will get precisely the same scholarship from us as from the other school. We may not be able to offer you a full match, but might offer you a level of scholarship that we hope will make Berkeley Law an outstanding and affordable choice."

For example, the Darrows I heard about (which are valued at $150,000) were matched for $135,000. After cost of living, there's a reasonable price difference between the two options (approx. 30k), but for some, that's worth it.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri May 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Are students enrolled with SHIP covered during 1L and 2L summers? Are there additional fees for summer medical coverage?

I can't find the relevant web site right now, but I looked this up a couple of weeks ago. For students beginning in Fall 2010, coverage starts on August 15, 2010. It continues through our 1L, 2L, and even 3L summers. (We're covered until August 31, 2013.) As best I could tell, there are no additional fees for summer medical coverage.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 am

Adding my $.02:

I think TG hit the nail on the head with the merit aid question. Seems to be much more prevalent this year. As a public school, the primary focus will probably stay on need based aid/LRAP.

As for SHIP Dignan is correct-- you get covered for a year by paying the fees. Likewise, if you qualify for a waiver (few will, I think), you have to apply for the waiver each year.

Great to see you all getting a jump on taking your place as "answerers" in the Boalties Taking Questions thread!

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:They match a handful of these every year, but the criteria is pretty mysterious -- this year, they've matched several full scholarships from Michigan and Duke, but not partial scholarships from higher-ranked schools like Chicago and Columbia.

No idea about the criteria, but one thing DE alluded to at the town hall last Fall was that the school has access to very detailed data (maybe not available until the cycle is over?) on each admit's options and final decisions. With that they get a pretty good sense of which schools in the T14 they are competing with for students. I'd imagine that some of their decision to offer or not offer merit aid is based on whether they think (A) that you're seriously considering not attending Berkeley and (B) that you could seriously be persuaded otherwise with more money.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Bump, 'cuz it's been a few weeks. Who else is getting quite stoked?

I wish they'd give us our schedule a bit earlier -- simply because I'd like to know what classes I have (and when they'll be). Either way, very excited. :D

feeblemiles

Postby feeblemiles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:08 am

Looking forward to having you all join the family next year.

23fulltimecowboys

Postby 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 am

also psyched

hey, does anyone know how it works with choosing our 1L electives? i know we receive our fall class schedules during orientation - does that mean that both 1L electives are in the spring? thanks

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:55 am

23fulltimecowboys wrote:also psyched

hey, does anyone know how it works with choosing our 1L electives? i know we receive our fall class schedules during orientation - does that mean that both 1L electives are in the spring? thanks

It's in the spring. You're also STRONGLY encouraged to take con law in the spring, so I at least half the class didn't take an elective. If you don't take con law you have to take 2 other classes, but if you take it then you don't have to take anything else besides the assigned stuff.

Your other classes and times are all assigned, so depending on what section you're in you might not have good elective options, or not good con law options. There's no way to know until they post the schedule.

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:01 am

Hi! I'm super excited to be joining and hopefully meeting you all in the Fall! I have a question that may seem strange but I've been very curious. Are there a lot of geeks at Boalt, i.e. gamers, chess players, die-hard Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars fans?

solidsnake

Postby solidsnake » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:10 am

Can the current Boalties please chime in and list the "can't miss" profs for 2L and 3L classes? I don't mean famous as much as great and rigorous teachers (although hopefully those aren't mutually exclusive). Thanks.

ikari_ningen

Postby ikari_ningen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:15 am

Island Girl wrote:Hi! I'm super excited to be joining and hopefully meeting you all in the Fall! I have a question that may seem strange but I've been very curious. Are there a lot of geeks at Boalt, i.e. gamers, chess players, die-hard Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars fans?

I'm attending this fall. Pleased to meet you.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”