NYU 2L taking ? for a bit

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jacko

Re: NYU 2L taking ? for a bit

Postby jacko » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:22 am

If you didn't really want to work in New York but would like to live there for a while do you think NYU would be worth the additional costs then say going to a school in the lower T10 to save cash?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm

jacko wrote:If you didn't really want to work in New York but would like to live there for a while do you think NYU would be worth the additional costs then say going to a school in the lower T10 to save cash?

Great question - I am struggling with this one too.

Is there anyone here who didn't get the Dean's scholarship e-mail initially but had success this year or in a prior year with negotiating any merit aid? If so, care to describe?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 pm

What would you say the average rate for a studio or one bedroom apt is in the village vs. brooklyn?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I have a question about the guaranteed summer funding. Is it only for jobs that don't pay at all, or can you still qualify for summer funding if you work at a job that gives a modest stipend? If so, does NYU only pay the difference between the stipend and what they would have paid, or are you allowed to supplement NYU's funding with a stipend from your organization/fellowship, up to a certain limit? I feel like I remember reading/hearing something about it being for people who make less than $15,000 total for a summer, but I can't seem to find that.

novaman3

Postby novaman3 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 pm

democrattotheend wrote:I have a question about the guaranteed summer funding. Is it only for jobs that don't pay at all, or can you still qualify for summer funding if you work at a job that gives a modest stipend? If so, does NYU only pay the difference between the stipend and what they would have paid, or are you allowed to supplement NYU's funding with a stipend from your organization/fellowship, up to a certain limit? I feel like I remember reading/hearing something about it being for people who make less than $15,000 total for a summer, but I can't seem to find that.

For 1Ls, the max you can make is $6,000 and as a 2L, the max is $15,000. You can get summer funding in addition to whatever you are being paid from another source as long as you remain within those limits.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:13 am

Given that it is a little late for JD/MBA applications, I was wondering how difficult it would be to get into the MBA program when applying as a JD student. When I was going through the NYU site, it said that taking the GMAT is not required. If you were an above median student at NYU law, how plausible would it be to gain admittance to Stern after 1L or 2L?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 am

novaman3 wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:I have a question about the guaranteed summer funding. Is it only for jobs that don't pay at all, or can you still qualify for summer funding if you work at a job that gives a modest stipend? If so, does NYU only pay the difference between the stipend and what they would have paid, or are you allowed to supplement NYU's funding with a stipend from your organization/fellowship, up to a certain limit? I feel like I remember reading/hearing something about it being for people who make less than $15,000 total for a summer, but I can't seem to find that.

For 1Ls, the max you can make is $6,000 and as a 2L, the max is $15,000. You can get summer funding in addition to whatever you are being paid from another source as long as you remain within those limits.

Excellent, thanks for answering. I guess that's why I remembered hearing $15,000...that makes sense now.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”