Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ISquareJudd
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby ISquareJudd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:01 pm

GeePee wrote:
ISquareJudd wrote:
I don't want to go to Yale anymore if this is what I can expect... thanks for being a bunch of gigantic douches in advance, Yale students. At least you outed yourselves now.


This is exactly the sort of generalizations of which I speak. You encounter one bad apple in an online forum, and suddenly you don't want to go to Yale? Give me a break.

I was making a joke, based off of your comments. Sorry if the subtle sarcasm didn't shine through. I'm still very interested in Yale; I'm equally interested in Harvard. That's why I'm here.


Well now I'm NEVER going to attend a school you're going to attend, I'm positive you will be representative of the student budy of the school you eventually attend.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:02 pm

ISquareJudd wrote:
GeePee wrote:
ISquareJudd wrote:
I don't want to go to Yale anymore if this is what I can expect... thanks for being a bunch of gigantic douches in advance, Yale students. At least you outed yourselves now.


This is exactly the sort of generalizations of which I speak. You encounter one bad apple in an online forum, and suddenly you don't want to go to Yale? Give me a break.

I was making a joke, based off of your comments. Sorry if the subtle sarcasm didn't shine through. I'm still very interested in Yale; I'm equally interested in Harvard. That's why I'm here.


Well now I'm NEVER going to attend a school you're going to attend, I'm positive you will be representative of the student budy of the school you eventually attend.

:wink:

nicdmx
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby nicdmx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:39 pm

mallard wrote:nicdmx, I apologize, but we are now outside of the realm of things I'm qualified even to muse about. I have to think they're both considered. My instinct is that putting the money into your house may be a good decision in terms of financial aid, but please, please do not rely on me for this advice.



Understood, is the aid office pretty helpful or do you feel I'd be tipping my hand to them if I called to talk about these sort of options ahead of time?

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 pm

mallard wrote:TheLuckyOne, you'll have to distinguish between LLM students and JD candidates. International students studying for a JD do tend to be at quite a high caliber. As for LLMs and the even rarer SJD students, I think they're sort of on a different track, and I haven't interacted with them much. They already have a degree so they obviously bring a higher level of substantive knowledge to bear on class discussion.



Hope you're still here...

Could you elaborate a bit on JD candidates? At least based on your experience.
In case you know, how does need-based aid work?

Thank you for the great info :mrgreen:

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:22 pm

In the epic Yale vs. Harvard struggle, would you characterize Harvard as the Sharks or the Jets?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby rayiner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 pm

puppins wrote:In the epic Yale vs. Harvard struggle, would you characterize Harvard as the Sharks or the Jets?


I don't do musicals, but FWIW Harvard has a marginally less shitty football team. They're 8-2 against Yale this decade.

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:53 pm

rayiner wrote:
puppins wrote:In the epic Yale vs. Harvard struggle, would you characterize Harvard as the Sharks or the Jets?


I don't do musicals, but FWIW Harvard has a marginally less shitty football team. They're 8-2 against Yale this decade.


This is important information to consider when deciding between the two schools, as everyone ITT is. Hmm. On the one hand, I am so used to having a losing football team, maybe continuing that trend would be a comfort to me. On the other hand, I have vowed to make all life decisions based on musical-based analogies.

User avatar
excelsiorcaelo
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Why does our team suck so hard? Why!? Luckily I blacked out a good portion of the Game this year.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm pretty sure we won the game this year because Yale went for it on fourth and a billion, or something like that. I think we were legitimately outplayed up until that point.

I apologize for not knowing the answers to any of the pending financial aid inquiries. http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/sfs/policy/need.html gives a little information that might be relevant to nicdmx's inquiry (scroll down about halfway, I guess), in terms of what they take into account. I can't speak to whether you'd be "tipping your hand" to ask specifically. Need-based aid for foreign students I know nothing about. As for the international JDs, I'm trying to think about who I know... I wouldn't say there's really a huge difference between them and the American students, systematically, and my sample size is probably too small to draw a real conclusion from anyway.

puppins, I really didn't know this all was going to go down. I guess I'll take the Sharks.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby Mr. Matlock » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:09 pm

:lol:
This is how I picture a Yale vs. Harvard game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby puppleberry finn » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:17 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote::lol:
This is how I picture a Yale vs. Harvard game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck


I picture it more like

http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=f ... dd000ad01f

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:19 pm

In this thread I've felt a bit more like this.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby dresden doll » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:25 pm

totalidiot wrote:Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat.


We have a source right here. Thus, input you received from your 'sources' isn't necessary. Kthanxbai.

(Bgc, where art thou?)

User avatar
Haribo
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby Haribo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:29 pm

ISquareJudd wrote:... None of the circle-jerkiness that haribo mentioned (I think that's more of a TLS phenomenon than a YLS one) was there). It was just good ol' fashioned fun. I often joke with people after that party, saying that I pretty much met half of YLS's class (get it? HARHAR).
...


Oops, sorry! My comment was 100% in the context of TLS, and even so there are many, many YLS students on TLS that I have e-crushes on. It's just that threads involving Yale and Harvard have a mysterious propensity to take a turn towards... well, what happened here, where YLS students come in and start talking about how much more amazing their classmates are than anyone they've ever met before and they don't understand how little old them could have possibly been accepted etc etc and it gets a little old.

Anyway in the context of adding useful information to the thread, I think Mallard should talk about the sexy study-abroad programs - in particular the JD-LLM with Cambridge. (That still exists right? Have you heard much about it as a 1L?) Studying abroad can have some downfalls, but Harvard arguably makes it easier than any other T3 school.

Finally, if you're in Boston, make sure to try out O'Sullivan's near Porter Square. All the locals agree, way better burgers than Bartley's. Mmm, I miss it. No, seriously, go there immediately if you haven't yet :D
Last edited by Haribo on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:31 pm

dresden doll wrote:
totalidiot wrote:Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat.


We have a source right here. Thus, input you received from your 'sources' isn't necessary. Kthanxbai.

(Bgc, where art thou?)


dres, tell Perry to call me on Monday. thx!!

ISquareJudd
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby ISquareJudd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:32 pm

All the locals agree, way better burgers than Bartleby's


Don't you mean "Bartley's"?

User avatar
excelsiorcaelo
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:53 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby excelsiorcaelo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:35 pm

mallard wrote:In this thread I've felt a bit more like this.

Epic win.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby dresden doll » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
totalidiot wrote:Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat.


We have a source right here. Thus, input you received from your 'sources' isn't necessary. Kthanxbai.

(Bgc, where art thou?)


dres, tell Perry to call me on Monday. thx!!


You'll get in. I'm not worried about you.

User avatar
Haribo
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:47 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby Haribo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:39 pm

ISquareJudd wrote:
All the locals agree, way better burgers than Bartleby's


Don't you mean "Bartley's"?


Oops :)

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:41 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote::lol:
This is how I picture a Yale vs. Harvard game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vV3QGagck


:lol:

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:42 pm

dresden doll wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
totalidiot wrote:Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat.


We have a source right here. Thus, input you received from your 'sources' isn't necessary. Kthanxbai.

(Bgc, where art thou?)


dres, tell Perry to call me on Monday. thx!!


You'll get in. I'm not worried about you.


:D

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby badfish » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:59 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Why does our team suck so hard? Why!? Luckily I blacked out a good portion of the Game this year.


who did you root for? oh wait, i know...

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby rayiner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 pm

excelsiorcaelo wrote:Why does our team suck so hard? Why!? Luckily I blacked out a good portion of the Game this year.


Apparently your alma matter played a less embarrassing game this year than last. :lol:

It's okay, rebuilding decade etc.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Are you really a duck?

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby tomhobbes » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:36 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Are you really a duck?


I doubt it. Ducks do not attend law school.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest