Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lysis

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Postby Lysis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Thanks for the speedy response. ASW sounds fun, and I think it's probably most valuable as a way to meet potential classmates (I don't need to be sold on H, although free food is nice). In any case, I don't think I'll be able to go.

The historical angle you bring up is really interesting. Two more things:

1) Joint degrees. Do you have friends pursuing them, what do you think of them, and is there a general perception that admissions to other schools is more likely if you're already a Harvard student (even though they obviously say that you need to get into both programs separately)? Particularly looking at HLS/HKS or HLS/Political Science PhD.

2) Can you write a bit about your interactions with professors? I've found at my ugrad, some of the big name professors actually teach and work with students pretty little--have you had face time with the Harvard professors you were most hoping to meet?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:49 pm

ITT. Harvard 1L's remind me how sad I was not to be accepted, while Yale 1L's convince me I made a good decision by not applying.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 pm

mallard wrote:Obviously the very top x students at Harvard will be better than the very top x students at Yale or Stanford, but in general it's not quite as picky as the other two.

Why would this be true? And thanks for the thread.

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Lysis wrote:Thanks for the speedy response. ASW sounds fun, and I think it's probably most valuable as a way to meet potential classmates (I don't need to be sold on H, although free food is nice). In any case, I don't think I'll be able to go.

The historical angle you bring up is really interesting. Two more things:

1) Joint degrees. Do you have friends pursuing them, what do you think of them, and is there a general perception that admissions to other schools is more likely if you're already a Harvard student (even though they obviously say that you need to get into both programs separately)? Particularly looking at HLS/HKS or HLS/Political Science PhD.

2) Can you write a bit about your interactions with professors? I've found at my ugrad, some of the big name professors actually teach and work with students pretty little--have you had face time with the Harvard professors you were most hoping to meet?

These are really good questions, so I apologize for taking a little bit longer to think about and answer them.

I am still considering a joint degree and I doubt I'm independently qualified for many of the schools I'd be applying to, so I have asked around a little bit about this. What I've heard is that it helps a little bit. What might help more is if you use your time here (which I haven't, yet) to make connections with the sorts of professors who might have relevant connections in the PhD program. For example, I know there are law school professors who themselves have political science PhDs or who publish in political science journals. Making connections with those sorts of professors will probably be more helpful than the fact of your attendance at the law school; these professors may also be able to help you work on your writing sample. For the Kennedy School, I think attending the law school will probably help a bit more, just because of the nature of the program, and anyway since it's a trade degree (like a law degree) and not a research degree (like a PhD) the standards will be lower and your HLS-relevant qualifications will translate a bit more readily.

My interactions with professors have been pretty good. Remember you don't get to pick your professors first semester, any of them. That said, I had a ridiculously accomplished set of profs and they were all very down-to-earth. But I did not try as hard as I should have to make a deeper connection, so I can't really speak to that. I'm pretty sure it varies a lot based on the professor. If you have an academic star professor you want to connect with, somebody who's published articles on the subjects you're interested in, it might not be so difficult, depending on the professor (Lessig or Sunstein are probably difficult to track down). If you have a true rockstar professor you're looking to get friendly with, that of course will be harder (I'm thinking Dershowitz, Warren, etc.).

tomhobbes, just numerically, I think a bigger school will produce better top students if the standards are roughly the same. My guess is the top ten students at Georgetown are stronger than the top ten students at Duke, for example.

RoyalT

Postby RoyalT » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:05 am

This is a very nice thread Mallard. Please don't be discouraged by the extraordinary insecurity displayed here.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:20 am

RoyalT wrote:This is a very nice thread Mallard. Please don't be discouraged by the extraordinary insecurity displayed here.

I didn't read the thread, but...seriously if you're insecure and even in the running for Harvard, shaddup.

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:02 am

Thank you so much for answering questions. Your answers have made me feel so much better about Harvard (and my decision not to apply to Yale after my JR2). You've already answered most of my questions, but

Questions I still have:

Does the campus feel tense? Does it seem like people are stressed out all the time?

I went to a large UG and liked all the opportunities, but it also felt pretty easy to get lost in the crowd. Is it like that at HLS? My class had 4,000 students, so I feel like even 500 will feel a lot smaller. Obviously, I'm still anxious about it, though.

Early in this thread, you advised us to spend our free time with our classmates instead of alone in front of the computer/TV. Is it easy to make friends? That sounds like a silly question where the obvious answer is "I don't know. Are you good at making friends?" but I don't know how else to ask it. I guess what I'm asking is, are the other students friendly and down-to-earth or are they too busy deciding which sports car to buy first and comparing how big their parents' summer homes are?

Again, thanks so much for answering our questions!

Edit: I also meant to say that I love water fowl, especially mallards. Your avatar is great.

j2d3

Postby j2d3 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:37 am

Another advantage of going to Yale is that it makes the outside world want to hear about it all the f-ing time. Seriously, people having unrelated conversations CANNOT WAIT to hear your stupid anecdotes. That's the real benefit of the YLS degree - it makes you so socially adept that nothing can ever get in your way again. Things that would ordinarily be considered huge faux pas are automatically excused because you WENT TO YALE AND EVERYONE AT YALE COMES IN GREAT AND EVERYONE DEFINITELY LEAVES GREAT BECAUSE YALE IS FOR GREAT PEOPLE.

By the way, a girl in my LSAT class got into Yale straight from undergrad. She wasn't very smart or interesting, she just had good grades/scores. Go fuck yourself.

I went to Yale for undergrad... ages ago. In the 90s.

What's said above is absolutely true. My life would have been 100x less exciting so far without the Yale factor. I've gotten away with all kinds of shit because of it.

I don't know to whom the "Go fuck yourself" was directed or why, but the anecdote about the boring girl... that certainly happens. Sometimes boring, lame, awful people go to Yale for mysterious reasons, sometimes for obvious reasons (George Bush, for instance). Sometimes talented, accomplished geniuses get rejected. When you are there as an undergrad you become aware of two things:

1. By default, people typically assume you are a genius (and also rich) because you went to Yale.
2. Although many people at Yale are not geniuses, and many are not rich, all will forevermore be considered so due to a process that includes quite a lot of arbitrariness.

It's not right, but it's okay because this arbitrariness mitigates the overall unfairness, just as arbitrariness does with so many things in life. For instance, I was born a healthy baby into a middle class white family in the southern USA. Many others were much less fortunate, and many were more fortunate. It isn't fair, but the fact that it's "random" makes it palatable.

I imagine the same goes for all the elite schools with global name brand recognition.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:22 am

j2d3 wrote:
Another advantage of going to Yale is that it makes the outside world want to hear about it all the f-ing time. Seriously, people having unrelated conversations CANNOT WAIT to hear your stupid anecdotes. That's the real benefit of the YLS degree - it makes you so socially adept that nothing can ever get in your way again. Things that would ordinarily be considered huge faux pas are automatically excused because you WENT TO YALE AND EVERYONE AT YALE COMES IN GREAT AND EVERYONE DEFINITELY LEAVES GREAT BECAUSE YALE IS FOR GREAT PEOPLE.

By the way, a girl in my LSAT class got into Yale straight from undergrad. She wasn't very smart or interesting, she just had good grades/scores. Go fuck yourself.

I went to Yale for undergrad... ages ago. In the 90s.

What's said above is absolutely true. My life would have been 100x less exciting so far without the Yale factor. I've gotten away with all kinds of shit because of it.

I don't know to whom the "Go fuck yourself" was directed or why, but the anecdote about the boring girl... that certainly happens. Sometimes boring, lame, awful people go to Yale for mysterious reasons, sometimes for obvious reasons (George Bush, for instance). Sometimes talented, accomplished geniuses get rejected. When you are there as an undergrad you become aware of two things:

1. By default, people typically assume you are a genius (and also rich) because you went to Yale.
2. Although many people at Yale are not geniuses, and many are not rich, all will forevermore be considered so due to a process that includes quite a lot of arbitrariness.

It's not right, but it's okay because this arbitrariness mitigates the overall unfairness, just as arbitrariness does with so many things in life. For instance, I was born a healthy baby into a middle class white family in the southern USA. Many others were much less fortunate, and many were more fortunate. It isn't fair, but the fact that it's "random" makes it palatable.

I imagine the same goes for all the elite schools with global name brand recognition.

For someone who attended Yale, your sarcasm detection abilities are a little lacking :wink:

totalidiot

Postby totalidiot » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:40 am

mallard wrote: Perhaps once you have grades you'll start worrying about things like responding to points that have actually been made, interpreting people's statements in line with the intentions behind those statements, and basic cause and effect (again, the fact that you may or may not be able to hold your own with your Yale classmates does not bear on student quality at any other school).

:lol: Yes, because the Honors/Pass distinction is really the same as 'having grades.' Seriously, you're out of touch if you think that Harvard has anywhere near the 'grades' that would foment the sort of high-pressure learning of law you would see at schools from Columbia on down.

Student quality at Harvard is lower than Yale or Stanford, but that's just the nature of such a large school, along with the fact that they generally don't get the pick of the litter to the same degree that Stanford and Yale do. Also, because they have a harder time gaming the LSAT/GPA system, they tend to have a more numbers-oriented set of students.

Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat.

Obviously the very top x students at Harvard will be better than the very top x students at Yale or Stanford

A far cry from obvious.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 am

totalidiot wrote: Student quality at Harvard is lower than Yale or Stanford, but that's just the nature of such a large school, along with the fact that they generally don't get the pick of the litter to the same degree that Stanford and Yale do.

This feels off. While you're always going to have those people who continue to play the rankings game within the HYS tier, there are more than a few perfectly defensible reasons to pick harvard over yale or stanford (and vice-versa). One would hope that any student who is competent enough to have a choice between one of the three would grasp that idea.

At the end of the day, none of this really matters because NYU pwns HYS.

bahama

Postby bahama » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 am

[quote="totalidiot]
Student quality at Harvard is lower than Yale or Stanford, but that's just the nature of such a large school, along with the fact that they generally don't get the pick of the litter to the same degree that Stanford and Yale do. Also, because they have a harder time gaming the LSAT/GPA system, they tend to have a more numbers-oriented set of students.[/quote]

This is a ridiculous statement. What measurement of quality is it based on? HLS students have better numbers than SLS students, so if that is how you are measuring quality it doesn't hold up. And HLS has a higher yield than SLS and apparently gets the majority of the cross-admits, so how is that not getting the pick of the litter? If you are saying it is because HLS is a bigger school, then does this make student quality lower at Columbia than Chicago because Columbia is bigger or lower at Penn than Duke because Penn is bigger?

Seriously, these are all great schools that admit largely the same pool of highly qualified applicants. In terms of non-quantifiable factors, I doubt there is much differentiation in the quality of students at the three schools, but this would be nearly impossible to measure. Strictly quantitatively then it is YLS > HLS > SLS.

[quote="totalidiot]Moreover, if my sources are on mark, getting an 'Honors' at Harvard is not exactly a very difficult feat. [/quote]

Yeah, scoring better than 63% of the class at HLS is not exactly a very difficult feat. The same way a 3.9 gpa or a 175 LSAT is not exactly a very difficult feat.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

ITT Yale kids prove Harvard is a better school.

Postby 06072010 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 pm

naturally, tinman takes the pussy way out and edits the posts. Can't even stand by his remarks. Mallard might be wrong as hell about some of this stuff, but at least he sticks by his words.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Wow. I was actually thinking to myself, "It's good none of the legitimate Yale posters from last year, like totalidiot or someone, haven't come in and joined in with this bullshit." To your first comment, just try me - notice that your sort-of-dumb and constantly intimidated friends are not coming back for more; to your second, yes, it is obvious, to everyone except you, including, I don't know, Senate confirmation committees, Supreme Court Justices, top firms, government agencies, law schools employing professors, fucking et cetera.

Also, please note that you are now coming here to engage, after I said it was off-point, this topic. I was never, ever talking about student quality in my post and I am only talking about it because insecure Yale kids came here to cry to me about how intimidated they were and how they'd be smart in comparison to these Harvard fuckers. Please keep that in mind, "total idiot."

The incredible cockiness with which you're talking about Harvard (it's not "high-pressure," it's not "a very difficult feat" to get an Honors) is especially inappropriate in a thread where it is my job to give accurate information to 0Ls about what it's like to be at the school. You are absolutely, positively fucking up my thread and my ability to do my job. Go away, but not without apologizing first.

Now, driveshaft.

Yes, it is possible to get lost in the crowd. This may be true at any law school given the nature of legal education but something tells me it is truer even at Harvard than at more "intimidating" schools. Your section will have 80 people. You may go a month without getting called on; you may get called on the first day and feel like you've been assaulted and violated and traumatized in some real way, and yet be shocked that nobody is coming to your defense or asking if you're alright.

The campus feels tense now. Or I mean it did a week ago. My answers are tinged with the coloration of finals. Please keep that in mind when you read them over. And total idiot is right in that it's probably not as tense as it would be with an A/B/C/D/F system, especially one with pluses and minuses, etc. But people certainly feel stressed out and tense. People's stress level during the semester will depend on what crowd you run with; in a large school, or at least at Harvard, there's a large variation. Also, my guess is the first semester is quite different in this regard than other semesters. I know if I do particularly well I'll relax a bit (knowing that my system worked) or if I do particularly poorly I'll relax a bit (knowing all the work didn't really earn me anything and deciding to just wing it).

Everybody is quite friendly and down-to-earth, in my experience, and this is not really a place of privilege like you're describing. Some other schools (actually and interestingly, Yale is certainly one of them) are known for taking a lot of kids from backgrounds of privilege (or "achievement" or something?), but there are a ton of kids who have never been in a private school before, who grew up poor, who are planning on going into public interest, etc. Personally I've found that the "cliquey" high-school-ish aspect of law school does have some bite: it can be a little tough to break into established social groups. (Harvard is a bit like high school in a lot of ways.) But I seriously doubt that there will be a critical mass of rich people who won't let you into their social group because of some sense of status. Actually, if there are, chances are most of your class will be gossiping about them, and they'll be the ones shunned. (Not saying that's a good thing, of course.)

Jayzon, financial aid has been good to me. I hear it would have been even better at other top schools. But my need-based aid more or less matched my average merit aid from Columbia and NYU (let's say between 1/3 and 1/2 tuition). I was unemployed for awhile last year and spent most of my savings, which turned out to have been a good idea. If you are going to a top school, especially HYS, don't save up "to pay for law school." If you have nothing, they pay for you.

I should note briefly that in terms of financial aid, you should keep an eye out for "in this economy" type alterations to the public-interest repayment structure, or at least to amounts of repayments, because things are changing a little bit with the times. I've been somewhat disappointed in a couple ways about the school's relationship with public interest work so far and I'm happier to go a bit more in depth to talk about that.
Last edited by mallard on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:28 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised at all this bickering. Thanks again for the answers though, Mallard; it's all been very informative. I also think it's funny that you apologized for taking 10 minutes to answer me (above). That's pretty damn speedy in my book.

You mentioned you've done some citation work on one of the journals. I'm curious how difficult it is to get involved with the secondary (non-HLR) journals. Also, do people who make law review continue with the other journals they have been involved with, or would that be too much?

ISquareJudd

Postby ISquareJudd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:30 pm

The generalizations here are a bit stunning. Every school has a few bad apples and but the smart peeps at HLS/SLS/YLS should be above generalizing them. I attended a YLS party over the summer and the people, frankly, were awesome. None of the circle-jerkiness that haribo mentioned (I think that's more of a TLS phenomenon than a YLS one) was there). It was just good ol' fashioned fun. I often joke with people after that party, saying that I pretty much met half of YLS's class (get it? HARHAR).

Same with HLS. The people there are awesome. I don't understand why tinman felt the need to post his spiel in this thread. Mallard was providing useful advice. Obviously, there's the risk that the advice will be tainted with bias, but I think TLSers assumed the risk (get it? I'm unstoppable!) when they opened this thread and decided to ask questions.

Question for Mallard:

Suppose I really, really wanted to do jurisprudence. Do you think HLS has a good offering in that department? Are there any plans to strengthen that department?

Also, I heard Michael Sandel takes on law students as TAs for his class in the FAS. How hard is it to get that? Do you know anyone going for that?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:34 pm

mallard, now that you have 1 semester of eperience, what would you advise a 0l to do before law school? LEEWS/E&Es/Hornbooks

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:42 pm

mallard wrote:Stanford is best if you want to work in venture capital, intellectual property, or on the West Coast. Harvard may be best for politics or business, but I'm not really sure there's a huge difference there.

Do you feel that these opportunities in venture capital and IP are closed off at Harvard? I have been wondering a lot about this and as I am very interested in becoming involved with the Green-Tech industry, trying to find a way to mix IP law and Environmental policy (i.e. influence the environment through tech).

I recently did a look at the lawyers who work for Wilson Sonsini (big in VC, tech, etc) and their appears to be as many HLS grads as SLS grads. True SLS is a much smaller school, but by the time you consider the west coast/east coast bias from HLS, roughly equal numbers seems to suggest these opportunities are equally open to HLS grads.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:50 pm

Lysis wrote:Wow, I'm really surprised at all this bickering. Thanks again for the answers though, Mallard; it's all been very informative. I also think it's funny that you apologized for taking 10 minutes to answer me (above). That's pretty damn speedy in my book.

You mentioned you've done some citation work on one of the journals. I'm curious how difficult it is to get involved with the secondary (non-HLR) journals. Also, do people who make law review continue with the other journals they have been involved with, or would that be too much?

I'm pretty sure two journals is too much and that people who get on law review drop their other journal. It's worth noting that only a minority of students even apply for the law review, in part because of the excellence of the secondary journals here. It's very easy to start subciting; almost all 1Ls do it, many for two or three journals (note that subciting is not the same as being on a journal in the first sentence of this paragraph). There are massive, massive meetings near the end of September for each journal. It's sort of horrible work but if you get assigned to a good article, it can be a pretty interesting process. If you do subcite, I highly advise you to stick it out as far as your journal will let you with the line editing and technical editing; that'll give you a real sense of how the journal works and it'll make you look good and useful and dedicated to the editor types who make promotion decisions.

avacado111 wrote:mallard, now that you have 1 semester of eperience, what would you advise a 0l to do before law school? LEEWS/E&Es/Hornbooks

Naw... I didn't even really do much of that during the semester. Read Getting to Maybe to get a sense of what a law school exam is looking for. Drink a lot. Watch The Paper Chase. I would actually advise looking at some law school exams and answers. Become slightly cynical but slightly humored about the law school experience before it takes over your life so you can keep perspective during the tumult.

Reading E&Es and hornbooks before the semester seems dangerous to me for a few reasons. First, you're likely to do it wrong. Second, you're likely to cover material your professor might not care about, or cover it in a way where the professor disagrees with the author. Third, the difficulty is never in learning the rules (law is conceptually pretty easy) but in applying them, which you do when you read cases and participate in class. If anything I'd say you should get started reading cases for issues.

But again this is all coming from my perspective, which is a case-heavy and anti-hornbook perspective even during the semester. Many of my friends read hornbooks almost to the exclusion of other materials, and if that's going to be your approach, I don't see why you wouldn't start it before the beginning of the semester.

ISquareJudd wrote:The generalizations here are a bit stunning. Every school has a few bad apples and but the smart peeps at HLS/SLS/YLS should be above generalizing them. I attended a YLS party over the summer and the people, frankly, were awesome. None of the circle-jerkiness that haribo mentioned (I think that's more of a TLS phenomenon than a YLS one) was there). It was just good ol' fashioned fun. I often joke with people after that party, saying that I pretty much met half of YLS's class (get it? HARHAR).

Same with HLS. The people there are awesome. I don't understand why tinman felt the need to post his spiel in this thread. Mallard was providing useful advice. Obviously, there's the risk that the advice will be tainted with bias, but I think TLSers assumed the risk (get it? I'm unstoppable!) when they opened this thread and decided to ask questions.

Question for Mallard:

Suppose I really, really wanted to do jurisprudence. Do you think HLS has a good offering in that department? Are there any plans to strengthen that department?

Also, I heard Michael Sandel takes on law students as TAs for his class in the FAS. How hard is it to get that? Do you know anyone going for that?

I agree, I had a very very positive view of YLS students a few days ago, and all of my friends at Stanford are incredible individuals as well.

I know nothing about Michael Sandel or TAing in FAS. I apologize.

Jurisprudence is a topic that'll affect how every other topic is taught, so in part how your views of jurisprudence develop simply has to do with which professors you have. That said, I honestly do not think our philosophy of law program is one of our strengths, which is sad for me because I'm quite interested in it; I'd have to recommend NYU for that. Harvard's graduate program in moral philosophy is certainly top-tier, so if you approach it from that angle you won't be disappointed. And we do have a few of the more important Critical Legal Studies people here. As a first-semester 1L I'm not really all that qualified to speak on this topic, though, since I haven't taken any electives yet.

In general I don't know much about plans to strengthen departments. Dean Kagan was obviously a force in strengthening our public law offerings and our faculty's conservative wing. We have a very strong and very politically diverse group of professors now. I'll look around, since it's a topic I'm interested in, and if I remember I'll get back to you.

nicdmx, West Coast bias becomes important in a practice where most of the firms are on the West Coast. Note that the bias is not just the firm's bias but simply the greater proximity of the school to the firms. Physical proximity definitely plays a role in your opportunities, just because you're bound to be a little lazy, or spend your time on other things. That said, of course you can do anything coming from Harvard, including intellectual property and venture capital, and I've already talked about the strength of our Berkman Center (and briefly mentioned Professor Lessig who we just stole from Stanford).

nicdmx

Postby nicdmx » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:52 pm

mallard wrote:
Jayzon, financial aid has been good to me. I hear it would have been even better at other top schools. But my need-based aid more or less matched my average merit aid from Columbia and NYU (let's say between 1/3 and 1/2 tuition). I was unemployed for awhile last year and spent most of my savings, which turned out to have been a good idea. If you are going to a top school, especially HYS, don't save up "to pay for law school." If you have nothing, they pay for you.

I have been wondering about this quite a bit. I will have considerable income from this year that I will have to report. Will MY income be taken in to consideration by HLS or will it mainly be my assets (how much I have in the bank?) I am underwater slightly on my house and am considering putting a bunch of money towards that so as to get a lower interest rate/payment before moving out for school. Also, what kind of consideration do they give to 401k savings?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:53 pm

I don't want to go to Yale anymore if this is what I can expect... thanks for being a bunch of gigantic douches in advance, Yale students. At least you outed yourselves now.

Mallard, what has it been like so far trying to line up your 1L summer? Has the Harvard brand proven useful right away getting interviews/positions? Has career services been a good resource as of yet, or do 1L's basically fend for themselves? Sorry if any of this leads to sensitive personal information; speaking in the most generic terms possible would be fine.

ISquareJudd

Postby ISquareJudd » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:56 pm

I don't want to go to Yale anymore if this is what I can expect... thanks for being a bunch of gigantic douches in advance, Yale students. At least you outed yourselves now.

This is exactly the sort of generalizations of which I speak. You encounter one bad apple in an online forum, and suddenly you don't want to go to Yale? Give me a break.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:59 pm

ISquareJudd wrote:

This is exactly the sort of generalizations of which I speak. You encounter one bad apple in an online forum, and suddenly you don't want to go to Yale? Give me a break.

I was making a joke, based off of your comments. Sorry if the subtle sarcasm didn't shine through. I'm still very interested in Yale; I'm equally interested in Harvard. That's why I'm here.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:59 pm

nicdmx, I apologize, but we are now outside of the realm of things I'm qualified even to muse about. I have to think they're both considered. My instinct is that putting the money into your house may be a good decision in terms of financial aid, but please, please do not rely on me for this advice.

GeePee, please don't judge Yale harshly because of this thread. It really is an incredible and special law school. You won't see that reading this thread, but that's because the sensible Yalies wouldn't parachute into this sort of thread (the sensible Yalies probably aren't even on TLS).

Lining up my 1L summer... is something on which I still have a lot of work to do. However, this is a trade school, and a large one, and its job is to get people to powerful positions. Anecdotally, from friends, there are certainly some places that will set up an interview, sometimes simply as a formality, because you're a Harvard student. This can be a bad thing too: for instance, I'm applying abroad (as well as at home), and I've been told to be careful of places without an established internship program, since they'll take me on quite happily as I'm from Harvard but might not have all that much for me to do when I get there. I feel mixed (I keep saying that, don't I?) about OCS and OPIA for a couple reasons, but they certainly have humongous databases of where everyone's worked, they can put you in touch with people, they can show you reviews of the places, advise you on what to put in your different cover letters. I don't really know what to compare it to because those types of services were simply not really there at my undergrad, but there are certainly tons of resources.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”