Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
excelsiorcaelo

Bronze

Re: Harvard 1L will take some questions about Harvard.

Post by excelsiorcaelo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:06 am

creatinganalt wrote:Are there any books that every HLS 1L has no matter the section so I can them now?
I think you accidentally the verb.

:P

But seriously, the answer is no. Except for the Blue Book, but there's absolutely no point in getting that now, so don't even think about it.

creatinganalt

Bronze

Post by creatinganalt » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 am

excelsiorcaelo wrote:
creatinganalt wrote:Are there any books that every HLS 1L has no matter the section so I can them now?
I think you accidentally the verb.

:P

But seriously, the answer is no. Except for the Blue Book, but there's absolutely no point in getting that now, so don't even think about it.
:lol:

Just know that the prices will probably jump/everything go out of print the minute that the sections/reading lists are out.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Second-semester grades just came back. I think the lesson for me is, regarding work ethic and schedules, it's better to do a lot of work, but the payoff diminishes greatly, and it's very important to know what to study and how to study it in the run-up to an exam. I say this having had (as I described) two very different semesters. I can go into more detail if you want over PM; since I'm more or less outed, I think it's a little uncouth to publicly discuss grade- or exam-related matters here.

expat

New

Post by expat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:02 am

mallard wrote:Second-semester grades just came back. I think the lesson for me is, regarding work ethic and schedules, it's better to do a lot of work, but the payoff diminishes greatly, and it's very important to know what to study and how to study it in the run-up to an exam. I say this having had (as I described) two very different semesters. I can go into more detail if you want over PM; since I'm more or less outed, I think it's a little uncouth to publicly discuss grade- or exam-related matters here.
I'd love to hear more if you wouldn't mind sending a PM.

Thanks!

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:21 am

expat wrote:
mallard wrote:Second-semester grades just came back. I think the lesson for me is, regarding work ethic and schedules, it's better to do a lot of work, but the payoff diminishes greatly, and it's very important to know what to study and how to study it in the run-up to an exam. I say this having had (as I described) two very different semesters. I can go into more detail if you want over PM; since I'm more or less outed, I think it's a little uncouth to publicly discuss grade- or exam-related matters here.
I'd love to hear more if you wouldn't mind sending a PM.

Thanks!
Me too! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 am

When exactly do they announce the results of the writing competition?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 am

mallard wrote:
avacado111 wrote:ah. Your back!

How do youl ike harvard?
It's alright. The people are awesome, but the place's foibles seem pretty persistent. I'm feeling a bit down about legal culture as a whole, and many of the flaws are definitely present here.
Please elaborate. Down on legal culture? Flaws present?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:16 am

Also would love to hear your thoughts about your preparation for the exams for the two semesters and grades, thanks so much for the help and this thread!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm working on a post (well, in my head at this point) about exam prep and grades. It's not going to be a "what I did 1L" post; instead, I'll try to incorporate the lessons I learned... anyway, whatever. I don't know when writing competition results come out. I didn't do it and am quite happy with that decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:47 pm

^^ Oh, I did as a transfer applicant and thought it went rather well. Naturally I'm eagerly anticipating the result, as that will probably determine whether I get in or not.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:48 pm

traydeuce wrote:^^ Oh, I did as a transfer applicant and thought it went rather well. Naturally I'm eagerly anticipating the result, as that will probably determine whether I get in or not.
Oh God. Well, good luck.

EijiMiyake

Bronze

Post by EijiMiyake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Mallard, are you planning to participate in OCI? It seems like just about everybody does, even if they are planning to pursue non-firm work after school.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:55 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:Mallard, are you planning to participate in OCI? It seems like just about everybody does, even if they are planning to pursue non-firm work after school.
Most people I know are trying to convince me to. I haven't really given it much thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:08 pm

mallard wrote:I'm working on a post (well, in my head at this point) about exam prep and grades. It's not going to be a "what I did 1L" post; instead, I'll try to incorporate the lessons I learned... anyway, whatever. I don't know when writing competition results come out. I didn't do it and am quite happy with that decision.
I look forward to this. I find these advice threads to be really useful, thanks :)

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:35 pm

Question for any current Harvard students or those who have been in the Cambridge area:

I'm currently an AT&T Customer but am considering a switch to a new phone... I was wondering what are peoples experiences with Cellphone coverage in the area?

1) I've heard from past reports 2008-2009 that AT&T was pretty bad around the Harvard Law campus area and Verizon is much better, is that still true? Or has AT&T improved?

2) I'm also considering getting an Iphone 4, any current Iphone 3 or or 4 users care to share their experiences reception wise? Thanks!

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:00 pm

I read that Sprint has the best coverage. The source was via Google and pretty anecdotal, however. But if you look at Sprint's coverage map for the area, it looks pretty strong.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Question for any current Harvard students or those who have been in the Cambridge area:

I'm currently an AT&T Customer but am considering a switch to a new phone... I was wondering what are peoples experiences with Cellphone coverage in the area?

1) I've heard from past reports 2008-2009 that AT&T was pretty bad around the Harvard Law campus area and Verizon is much better, is that still true? Or has AT&T improved?

2) I'm also considering getting an Iphone 4, any current Iphone 3 or or 4 users care to share their experiences reception wise? Thanks!
AT&T/iPhone reception can be pretty spotty. For example there's a large dead zone in the downstairs area of the student center (AKA The Hark) that makes meeting there somewhat less than ideal. I also have a friend who lives in Harvard affiliated housing and she can't get any reception whatsoever in her place, and I can think of a couple other places where reception cuts out entirely. People with other services do sometimes have trouble in the same areas but obviously as an iPhone 3G user I am most aware of AT&T. I will say that the whole campus is wired with wifi so you can generally check email with your iphone from anywhere, which is nice, and there is reception in the majority of the other areas on campus (Save the tunnels where reception is bad for pretty much everyone.)

Ultimately the biggest PITA about the iPhone at HLS is the student center. It sucks to be meeting people there and not be able to call or text them without leaving the building and searching for a signal, or going upstairs to the cafeteria area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:32 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:Question for any current Harvard students or those who have been in the Cambridge area:

AT&T/iPhone reception can be pretty spotty. For example there's a large dead zone in the downstairs area of the student center (AKA The Hark) that makes meeting there somewhat less than ideal. I also have a friend who lives in Harvard affiliated housing and she can't get any reception whatsoever in her place, and I can think of a couple other places where reception cuts out entirely. People with other services do sometimes have trouble in the same areas but obviously as an iPhone 3G user I am most aware of AT&T. I will say that the whole campus is wired with wifi so you can generally check email with your iphone from anywhere, which is nice, and there is reception in the majority of the other areas on campus (Save the tunnels where reception is bad for pretty much everyone.)

Ultimately the biggest PITA about the iPhone at HLS is the student center. It sucks to be meeting people there and not be able to call or text them without leaving the building and searching for a signal, or going upstairs to the cafeteria area.
Thanks a lot Cleareyes.. hmm i searched online and read something about how Harvard installed an AT&T cellphone tower in the area. I guess that helps with something but not the deadspots you described?

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Na_Swatch wrote: Thanks a lot Cleareyes.. hmm i searched online and read something about how Harvard installed an AT&T cellphone tower in the area. I guess that helps with something but not the deadspots you described?
If that happened after the end of finals then maybe it changes things? I am not in Cambridge this summer. My recollection, though, is that reception got worse during the year. I believe that at the beginning of fall semester I did have reception in the hark.

I will say, BTW, that I really liked having my iPhone. HLS is kind of big and having access to email at all times to remind you of what room event X or appointment Y was in was pretty useful. Cambridge is also laid out in a weird way (for someone who comes from Manhattan) so I used the map function a lot to get around. Throw in the ability to check grades and respond to time sensitive emails from your phone, plus music and games, and I would say that it makes sense to get a smart phone in general and an iphone in particular for law school. You don't need it, but it's pretty convenient.

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:51 pm

mallard wrote:
traydeuce wrote:^^ Oh, I did as a transfer applicant and thought it went rather well. Naturally I'm eagerly anticipating the result, as that will probably determine whether I get in or not.
Oh God. Well, good luck.
Thanks. Do you know if people found it hard?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pm

traydeuce wrote:
mallard wrote:
Oh God. Well, good luck.
Thanks. Do you know if people found it hard?
I really have no idea what that would mean. I tried to avoid the topic when it came up in conversation, frankly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:28 pm

sorry if this has been covered already, but i haven't been successful in searching for posts on 10 akron st

i've checked out everything on huhousing, but just wanted to hear what other ppl have to say about it

it seems pretty nice and new, but the floor plans do seem slightly smaller than 29 garden

also, are utilities included for all apartments through huhousing?

i got in off waitlist last month so i'm way late in the housing game, any help would be appreciated!

thanks,
-greg

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:35 pm

gerghk wrote:sorry if this has been covered already, but i haven't been successful in searching for posts on 10 akron st

i've checked out everything on huhousing, but just wanted to hear what other ppl have to say about it

it seems pretty nice and new, but the floor plans do seem slightly smaller than 29 garden

i got in off waitlist last month so i'm way late in the housing game, any help would be appreciated!

thanks,
-greg
I think I told someone else this perspective in the In at Harvard! thread (GaiatheCheerleader maybe?) but this is a LONG walk in the wintertime. When it's 10 degrees and windy, a 15 minute walk in each direction, even at a brisk pace, is going to make it a bit nasty getting to school, and there's really no better way coming from that area.

Other than that, it seems like nice enough housing. Utilities are generally all included in Harvard-owned stuff, but just clarify when you check the listings on HRES.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 am

GeePee wrote:
gerghk wrote:sorry if this has been covered already, but i haven't been successful in searching for posts on 10 akron st

thanks,
-greg
I think I told someone else this perspective in the In at Harvard! thread (GaiatheCheerleader maybe?) but this is a LONG walk in the wintertime. When it's 10 degrees and windy, a 15 minute walk in each direction, even at a brisk pace, is going to make it a bit nasty getting to school, and there's really no better way coming from that area.

Other than that, it seems like nice enough housing. Utilities are generally all included in Harvard-owned stuff, but just clarify when you check the listings on HRES.
Yes, GeePee is correct. I did ask this question and his answer was very helpful <3

10 Akron Street is really gorgeous (it is right on the Charles River) and I have already signed a lease to live there for 1L. All amenities are included in the rent, and it offers on-site underground parking. I am a little apprehensive about the walk, but I've walked long distances in the cold throughout my time in UG so this really isn't anything new to me. Also, there is a nearby shuttle stop at Peabody Terrace that I definitely intend to utilize, lol...But 10 Akron is one of the newer HRES buildings and it is also part of the Graduate Commons Program - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36802764160 - which connects all the residents of 10 Akron Street and 5 Cowperthwaite Street.

FWIW, I decided to live at 10 Akron because I know that there are a lot of HBS and HKS students who also live there and I really want to network across graduate schools. What better way is there to do so when you live in the same building, lol? Also, I didn't want to live with a mass of 1L students come finals. If anyone knows any different please let me know, but I have a feeling that dorm life would be really tense during that time and I need my serenity.

hth. Good luck with your decision and see you in Cambridge!!! :)

gerghk

New

Post by gerghk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:52 am

Ended up getting a studio in 29 Garden St, see y'all in Cambridge!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”