Need help on the TLS wiki? Please ask your question here. Forum

So you have the option to discuss TLS wiki matters within the forum system.
forumadmin

Silver

Need help on the TLS wiki? Please ask your question here.

Post by forumadmin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:14 am

Although the basics of a wiki are about as easy as using this forum, there are so many options available in the wiki that getting familiar with the wiki system can be overwhelming. If you get stuck on anything in the TLS wiki, then please don't hesitate to ask your question in this topic (or send me a PM if you prefer). Even if your question seems silly, asking it will likely help others. If I don't know the answer to your question, then I'll be happy to research to try and find an answer for you. I plan to monitor this topic regularly especially during the first few weeks of the TLS wiki so I should be able to respond fairly quickly. It is definitely appreciated if any of you can answer someone's question before I get to it.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Need help on the TLS wiki? Please ask your question here.

Post by Clearly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31 am

Yes, thank you for taking questions. What exactly should we do with the new wiki. I'm always down to contribute, but seeing as the school profiles are already complete, I don't understand the objective as far as schools go. If you want to expand the posts to cover things beyond just the schools themselves, I feel like I could contribute quite a bit.

forumadmin

Silver

Post by forumadmin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am

Clearly wrote:Yes, thank you for taking questions. What exactly should we do with the new wiki. I'm always down to contribute, but seeing as the school profiles are already complete, I don't understand the objective as far as schools go. If you want to expand the posts to cover things beyond just the schools themselves, I feel like I could contribute quite a bit.
Thanks for your question. Many of the existing profiles were written a while ago and have become outdated. Many profiles can also be improved upon greatly by contributions from multiple people with different perspectives on the school, especially by people with first-hand knowledge of the school. The current photos are also weak or non-existent, and the current captions need some help too.

If you go to a particular school you can help a lot with the profile. If you have considered a particular school then with your research into the school you can help a profile a lot. If you visit a particular school then you can take some photos and help a profile a lot.

The profiles are just an initial focus of the wiki. We plan to bring over all content on the main site that can benefit from the wiki such as LRAP pages, book reviews, LSAT articles, law firm pages, etc. However, the TLS wiki is for more than what we can think of using it for, and I'm sure many of you will think of some great ways to use the TLS wiki to make TLS an even better resource.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:50 pm

How will the wiki be expanded beyond school profiles? That's where its real value is: Telling people about the debt load, about job prospects, about secondary legal markets, etc.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:57 pm

Bikeflip wrote:How will the wiki be expanded beyond school profiles? That's where its real value is: Telling people about the debt load, about job prospects, about secondary legal markets, etc.
It's a wiki, anyone can create new pages

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 pm

patogordo wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:How will the wiki be expanded beyond school profiles? That's where its real value is: Telling people about the debt load, about job prospects, about secondary legal markets, etc.
It's a wiki, anyone can create new pages

Ah K, thanks. Clearly I know nothing about how to do stuff on wiki.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Ya so I don't want to use my TLS username to update my school's wiki...

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:08 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:Ya so I don't want to use my TLS username to update my school's wiki...
Apparently it's up to you in choosing your wiki editor name. It's technically a separate account. Only mods can see the association between the two accounts.

Hipster but Athletic

Gold

Post by Hipster but Athletic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:14 pm

it told me that my username was already made when I tried laxbrah so I figured I had to match the accounts. Fuck :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forumadmin

Silver

Post by forumadmin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Hipster but Athletic wrote:it told me that my username was already made when I tried laxbrah so I figured I had to match the accounts.
The username laxbrah is actually an inactive forum account with zero posts from back in 2010 which is why the system wouldn't let you use that username. I could rename laxbrah to something else so the laxbrah username would be available again, but now that the cat is out of the bag everyone would know laxbrah is you. Anyway, I am able to get rid of your Hipster but athletic wiki account and can reset your authorization code you you can create a new wiki account that isn't publicly associated with your forum account. You can send me a PM if you would like me to do that.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Maybe sticky this somewhere? I know I for one wouldn't have noticed this addition if I hadn't been browsing Active Topics when it went up. I guess ya'll might be going for the soft launch though.

forumadmin

Silver

Post by forumadmin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for your feedback. So far the only things we've done to let people know about the new wiki is to add this TLS wiki forum, put links on the old profiles to the new wiki profiles, and to add a link to the TLS wiki in the footer. However, the plan for the future is to feature the wiki a lot more. Eventually, the wiki profiles are planned to completely replace the old profiles. Also, in the future most of the main tabs in the header will probably be to pages on the wiki. In addition to the plans to feature the wiki content a lot more, we have plans to feature the forum content on wiki pages such as by having each wiki profile link to pages on the forum that mention that particular school. The introduction of the TLS wiki yesterday was just a first step, and some kind of forum wide announcement like you mentioned might be a good next step.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS wiki forum”