Cheapest/lowest-headache way to do long-distance moves to start work this fall? Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
SplitMyPants

Gold

Cheapest/lowest-headache way to do long-distance moves to start work this fall?

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:37 pm

How are people doing long distance moves to NYC or any other urban areas???
It seems like most of the traditional long distance movers are geared toward moving entire houses in terms of their pricing. Are pod services the better way to go?

My firm won't cover it, but my gf's firm does up to $3k. However, one quote we got was over $5500...

Is there a credited response for moving a small 1br aptmt's worth of stuff to the city for the least cost and smallest headache?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: Cheapest/lowest-headache way to do long-distance moves to start work this fall?

Post by NoDayButToday » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 pm

I just did essentially the reverse of this move--moving out from Boston to South Carolina. Packed belongings myself with spouse (starting 2-3 weeks prior to move); rented 16-foot Penske truck; hired load/unload help on either end of the move through U-Haul's moving help site (2 guys, 2 hours, each side), and drove the truck myself. No commercial drivers license needed for that size. Haven't added up exactly how much it ended up being with boxes ($.75/each at Home Depot)/bubble wrap/packing tape/ropes/padlock for truck, tolls, gas, overnight at the halfway point in Virginia, and tips for the load/unload only movers but I would estimate that it was around $2000-2200 total with the truck comprising about $1300 of that. This was for 2 BR apt. I think for 1 BR you could do a much smaller truck and have lower costs overall for gas and packing.

We did this same move from DC to Boston three years ago and it was a little bit less then for us--prices are up in every area except maybe gas. I felt a-ok driving the truck because my husband drove his car behind me and we could chat with speakerphone/hands-free when I needed help (e.g., he could navigate for us and in heavy traffic he could warn me before merging if someone was in my blind spot since there's no rearview mirror). He also would either lead or tail me so he could clear the way when I needed to pass or something.

I wouldn't describe this as the lowest-headache way of doing things, but it was wayyyyy cheaper than hiring people to pack, load, move, unload, etc. Our initial quotes were also in the $4K-6K range. The one headache this process did remove was concerns about where our property was at a given time--it was with us. We had faith it was packed securely because we had done the packing and customized care of special items as we went, and we knew where all of our stuff was (i.e., in which boxes).

If you have one or more cars, you'll either need a second person to drive or you will need a tow (personally, I'd feel comfortable with a tow only if I have a 6-8 foot truck, but really no longer than that).

Also, if you're heading northeast from the southeast, consider taking a route that isn't I-95. We added an hour or two to our trip, but we went out west a bit through upstate NY and NJ, through central/eastern Pennsylvania, and then down I-81 to I-77. It's for sure a longer distance, but a) you avoid the really steep tolls around NYC, Philly, DC, etc. and more importantly, b) you avoid the traffic around those major northeast cities. Google will tell you, for example, that it's a 4 hour drive from DC to NYC. But I've done that and hit mad traffic before and it's been 7 hours. If you don't time it right or if there's an accident, you're stuck.

With pods, you have to be careful--need to make sure in advance that you have a place for the pod to park or chill for a bit while you unload. That wasn't an option where we were living in Boston (high traffic area with tandem parking arrangement), so worth investigating before committing to that.
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Re: Cheapest/lowest-headache way to do long-distance moves to start work this fall?

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:12 am

Thanks ndbt---this is extremely helpful!

I think we'll probably go this route. It especially makes sense since we'd have to rent a car anyways to get up to NYC since we've got a dog to bring as well

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:09 am

NoDayButToday wrote:Packed belongings myself with spouse (starting 2-3 weeks prior to move); rented 16-foot Penske truck; hired load/unload help on either end of the move through U-Haul's moving help site (2 guys, 2 hours, each side), and drove the truck myself.
Absolutely agree with this (except I made the spouse drive the truck). Hiring people to load/unload is pretty cheap (a couple hundred bucks in low COL areas, maybe more in NYC but there's more competition for the work) and it makes a HUGE difference in how painful it all is. We also got movers to pack our stuff this last time and I actually almost like packing it ourselves better - more work, but much easier for unpacking.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:52 am

NoDayButToday wrote: Also, if you're heading northeast from the southeast, consider taking a route that isn't I-95. We added an hour or two to our trip, but we went out west a bit through upstate NY and NJ, through central/eastern Pennsylvania, and then down I-81 to I-77. It's for sure a longer distance, but a) you avoid the really steep tolls around NYC, Philly, DC, etc. and more importantly, b) you avoid the traffic around those major northeast cities. Google will tell you, for example, that it's a 4 hour drive from DC to NYC. But I've done that and hit mad traffic before and it's been 7 hours. If you don't time it right or if there's an accident, you're stuck.
So much this. I've made the drive between NC and the Philly area a few times recently. It's supposed to take ~7 hours but generally takes closer to 9 or more on I-95 because DC/Baltimore area traffic sucks big-time. I'll be going up I-81 and across PA again when I go up to take the bar and then move a week later. It will take just as long, the distance will be longer, and there will still be tolls, but it will be a far more pleasurable experience than doing the stop-go-stop-go routine all the way through NOVA, DC, and MD.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:22 pm

re: avoiding I-95---we will definitely heed that advice---thanks! we had that issue last summer in a rental minivan and it was a pain.
really wouldnt want to deal with that it a rear-view-mirrorless uhaul...

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Whatever you choose, keep receipts, documentation, and mileage for any personal vehicle travel ... Even if your job isn't reimbursing it, most or all of your expenses should be tax deductible if you're moving for a job.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 am

Of course! Good luck to you! Moving is expensive and painful regardless of how you choose to do it, but you're thinking/planning ahead. You'll thank yourself down the road for that!
Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:30 am

I just moved a 4BR house from Atlanta to Chicago for less than $5k by doing it ourselves. It required a good number of trips and one-way flights, but do your homework, plan a route that avoids low clearance bridges, shop for truck rental deals, hire Task Rabbit assistance or a moving company at the two ends (the cost comes in having them do the driving), and contact the local authorities to have reserved truck parking awaiting your arrival.

Another pro-tip: Rent from Penske rather than the other companies as Penske's comprehensive insurance policy covers roof and tire damages. Other companies, even in their mack daddy insurance, exclude these, and personal insurance plans often have a weight exclusion.

Short answer: Drive the truck yourself and you'll save a ton.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:38 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:re: avoiding I-95---we will definitely heed that advice---thanks! we had that issue last summer in a rental minivan and it was a pain.
really wouldnt want to deal with that it a rear-view-mirrorless uhaul...
So not only did we go the I-95 route in our 15' uhaul (did not want to exceed the miles that uhaul allotted us...), but we passed throughDC/Baltimore during the middle of rush-hour... Do I get some kind of award for bravery or stupidity—or both? :?

MichiganHoosier

New

Post by MichiganHoosier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:36 pm

I know you already did the move, and I know I'm not class of 2017, thought I'd throw in some moving advice however for people gearing up for a move who may stumble across this thread. Pro tip for moving, any major store (Walmart, target, dollar general) will give you free boxes. Go in, talk to a manager, they'll tell you when you can come and grab them. Saves you 75+cents a box. Good luck with the rest of the drive!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”