University of Chicago Law C/O 2017 Transfers Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
fmp2017

New

University of Chicago Law C/O 2017 Transfers

Post by fmp2017 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:32 pm

Congrats to everyone who was admitted! I wanted to start a forum for U Chicago Transfers.

Is anyone considering doing the writing competition for the journals? I tried to signup but the website was not working.

gwesia

New

Re: University of Chicago Law C/O 2017 Transfers

Post by gwesia » Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Yah it didn't work for me either

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Checking in

Lawskoolnurd

New

Post by Lawskoolnurd » Sat May 30, 2015 7:22 am

fmp2017 wrote:Congrats to everyone who was admitted! I wanted to start a forum for U Chicago Transfers.

Is anyone considering doing the writing competition for the journals? I tried to signup but the website was not working.
I was thinking about it but I've been told it is essentially impossible and not worth your time. I will certainly do it if I have a chance.

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:08 am

Lawskoolnurd wrote:
fmp2017 wrote:Congrats to everyone who was admitted! I wanted to start a forum for U Chicago Transfers.

I was thinking about it but I've been told it is essentially impossible and not worth your time. I will certainly do it if I have a chance.
Yeah I think it's common at most schools for only a few people to actually make the journal through writing on.

I just finished the write on at my home school because we didnt have spring grades yet to know if we would grade on so I have some practice now I guess. Sucks that I wasted my time doing it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawskoolnurd

New

Post by Lawskoolnurd » Sat May 30, 2015 10:52 am

Does anyone know the city at all?

I know nothing, researching some neighborhoods to live in. My summer roommate is NW Law so I'll post his suggestions too.

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Lawskoolnurd wrote:Does anyone know the city at all?

I know nothing, researching some neighborhoods to live in. My summer roommate is NW Law so I'll post his suggestions too.
Yeah I live here now! I live in Printers Row (South Loop). Its pretty much the best spot to be. I will take the Hyde Park Express Bus (2) to school - its less than a block from my apartment.

If you want to be really close to school then you should live in Hyde Park. Regents Apartments is a really popular place for law students to live - there is a shuttle right to the school. But to me Hyde Park does not have a whole lot to do and it has more of a suburbs feel than a city feel.

In Printer's Row you are at the edge of the loop and walking distance from all the law firms and court houses. Every city bus line and L train is super close too. Printer's Row is also incredibly safe and a lot of my neighbors are actually lawyers.

If you want to move outside of Hyde Park I would suggest looking at places that are near the 2 bus stops- it drops you off right by the law school. Another good bus to take is the 6 - but it drops you off at the end of the midway and you'll either have to walk to the law school or catch one of the campus shuttles. If you have a car then you'll be fine anywhere probably but I wouldn't suggest driving to school because of the traffic and expensive parking.

Lawskoolnurd

New

Post by Lawskoolnurd » Sat May 30, 2015 3:15 pm

fmp2017 wrote:

Yeah I live here now! I live in Printers Row (South Loop). Its pretty much the best spot to be. I will take the Hyde Park Express Bus (2) to school - its less than a block from my apartment.

If you want to be really close to school then you should live in Hyde Park. Regents Apartments is a really popular place for law students to live - there is a shuttle right to the school. But to me Hyde Park does not have a whole lot to do and it has more of a suburbs feel than a city feel.

In Printer's Row you are at the edge of the loop and walking distance from all the law firms and court houses. Every city bus line and L train is super close too. Printer's Row is also incredibly safe and a lot of my neighbors are actually lawyers.

If you want to move outside of Hyde Park I would suggest looking at places that are near the 2 bus stops- it drops you off right by the law school. Another good bus to take is the 6 - but it drops you off at the end of the midway and you'll either have to walk to the law school or catch one of the campus shuttles. If you have a car then you'll be fine anywhere probably but I wouldn't suggest driving to school because of the traffic and expensive parking.
That's great thanks.
How long is that commute?

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:20 pm

Lawskoolnurd wrote:
fmp2017 wrote:

That's great thanks.
How long is that commute?
It's about 20-30 mins depending on traffic. It's a very scenic ride down lake shore drive though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Sat May 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Someone should make a Facebook page and PM links

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:36 pm

sandwhich wrote:Someone should make a Facebook page and PM links

I was thinking the same thing - wasn't sure if it was too early though haha.

You should make one!

asg14c

New

Post by asg14c » Sat May 30, 2015 5:49 pm

Checking in

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Sat May 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Lawskoolnurd wrote:

Can't decide if it's worth it. I'm not naive enough to believe the Review is more than a pipe dream, but I'd be fine on the other journals.

A friend of mine got in as well, but can't decide if they want to just forgo transferring altogether (I didn't know that was a thing). Anybody else in that boat?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah I've heard of people telling their home school that they were accepted to transfer to a better school and then negotiating to get more scholarship money.

Lawskoolnurd

New

Post by Lawskoolnurd » Sat May 30, 2015 9:00 pm

fmp2017 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:Someone should make a Facebook page and PM links

I was thinking the same thing - wasn't sure if it was too early though haha.

You should make one!
Did anyone start one?

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 pm

Of course, but I'm specifically referencing binding ED transfers. I guess I mistakenly interpreted "binding" to mean that you have to go to U of Chicago no matter what and not that you can forgo transferring altogether.

iaiava

New

Post by iaiava » Sat May 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi all, here is a link to a facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383762498477384/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 pm

I deactivated my old account in undergrad, but this seems like a good time to make a new one.

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:51 am

KanyeShrug wrote:Of course, but I'm specifically referencing binding ED transfers. I guess I mistakenly interpreted "binding" to mean that you have to go to U of Chicago no matter what and not that you can forgo transferring altogether.
Oh yeah they definitely can't force you to transfer! I think it's only binding in the sense that you can't transfer anywhere else - but I think even then there are exceptions.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:11 am

Is anybody planning to do OCI at their old school in addition to OCI at Chicago?

fmp2017

New

Post by fmp2017 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:54 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Is anybody planning to do OCI at their old school in addition to OCI at Chicago?

Nope... That's not an option for me since both OCIs are the same week. I also don't think that's necessary considering how much firms love U Chicago

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sandwhich

Bronze

Post by sandwhich » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:31 am

fmp2017 wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Is anybody planning to do OCI at their old school in addition to OCI at Chicago?

Nope... That's not an option for me since both OCIs are the same week. I also don't think that's necessary considering how much firms love U Chicago
Stable career prospects, stable career prospects all around!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:52 am

Congrats, all. I'm a recent grad (not a transfer), and happy to answer any questions via PM regarding OCI, what classes to take, etc. Good luck!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:21 am

Congrats everyone! Come join us over in the transfer thread and if willing, share your stats to help out future applicants: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p8646897

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Bronze

Post by n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Chicago states that transfers can put their GPA on their resume, but ought to indicate the grading scale. What is the best way to accomplish this? I feel that "3.XX/4.XX" is confusing because there are so many numbers in short sequence. Is "3.XX (out of a 4.XX scale)" better? Am I overthinking this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”