University of Washington Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
kriegersan69

New

University of Washington Class of 2017

Post by kriegersan69 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:03 am

There's another one of these floating in another part of the forum, but there should be one here too.

Currently living in Los Angeles, and I will be traveling to Seattle in May to secure housing. I'm looking at fremont or capitol hill :lol: . I'm so excited!!
Last edited by kriegersan69 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morrigan

New

Re: UW Class of 2017

Post by Morrigan » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:38 am

Checking in!
80% sure I'm going.

Anonymous91

New

Re: University of Washington Class of 2017

Post by Anonymous91 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Checking in. Oregon resident, UO undergad. Attending the ASD on 4/4.

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Checking in.
Anyone who wants a place to crash for the 4/4 ASW, PM me. I live a short ways from the Law School, and will be attending the event (and going out for an unrelated Friday night celebratory drinks round afterward.)

Any questions about any of this, PM me.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:32 pm

Checking in as well. Oregon native but Seattle resident the last 3 years. I'll be at ASW this Friday.

Kind of random question about residency: The admitted students portal has a checklist item that states "Students who are seeking in-state tuition must complete the Washington Institutions of Higher Education Residence Questionnaire form, which can be found here: http://depts.washington.edu/registra/forms/UoW1819.pdf. Is this only for students seeking to establish residency or is this just something everyone has to do? I'm a little worried because it says I needed to get a Washington driver's license within 30 days of when I arrived here in August 2011 which I didn't (waited a year until I needed a WA driver's license for work).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 pm

zephyr12 wrote:Checking in as well. Oregon native but Seattle resident the last 3 years. I'll be at ASW this Friday.

Kind of random question about residency: The admitted students portal has a checklist item that states "Students who are seeking in-state tuition must complete the Washington Institutions of Higher Education Residence Questionnaire form, which can be found here: http://depts.washington.edu/registra/forms/UoW1819.pdf. Is this only for students seeking to establish residency or is this just something everyone has to do? I'm a little worried because it says I needed to get a Washington driver's license within 30 days of when I arrived here in August 2011 which I didn't (waited a year until I needed a WA driver's license for work).
You should be ok. The people you'll want to talk to will be in Schmitz hall (a short jaunt from Gates) and will be able to answer your questions more exhaustively than any of us TLS nerds. Just head there on Friday after the ASW and they'll straighten it out for ya.
My totally unqualified thought though is that you'll be fine.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Gustave wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:Checking in as well. Oregon native but Seattle resident the last 3 years. I'll be at ASW this Friday.

You should be ok. The people you'll want to talk to will be in Schmitz hall (a short jaunt from Gates) and will be able to answer your questions more exhaustively than any of us TLS nerds. Just head there on Friday after the ASW and they'll straighten it out for ya.
My totally unqualified thought though is that you'll be fine.
That's good to hear. I will definitely check-in with that office on Friday. Thank you.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:40 pm

kriegersan69 wrote:There's another one of these floating in another part of the forum, but there should be one here too.

Currently living in Los Angeles, and I will be traveling to Seattle in May to secure housing. I'm looking at fremont or capitol hill :lol: . I'm so excited!!
Thanks for making this thread. Where's the other one? Are you talking about the one under Acceptances, Denials and Waitlists?

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Sorry to be spamming but I thought everyone would like to see this: http://www.law.washington.edu/Admission ... ckCase.pdf

I stumbled across it while I was looking for for information about ASD since I haven't received an e-mail or anything since I sent in my RSVP. Get started on your homework for Friday!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm

UW ABA Employment stats are up.

Statistics of note, for UW 2013
TLS (100+ & Fed Clerkships) 15%
WA Adjusted (100+ & All Clerkships) 25%
Seattle Adjusted (26+ & All Clerkships) 47%
UW Adjusted (Gov, PI, 26+, Clerkships) 67%
Bar + JD Preferred 80%

Statistics of note, for SU 2013 (as a point of comparison)
TLS (100+ & Fed Clerkships) 7%
WA Adjusted (100+ & All Clerkships) 10%
Seattle Adjusted (26+ & All Clerkships) 19%
UW Adjusted (Gov, PI, 26+, Clerkships) 28%
Bar + JD Preferred 55%

Twice as good for every employment outcome, and half as many people without a Bar + JD FTLT jarb.

A quick justification for many of the statistics
Seattle has a very small and hard to crack legal market, so I included 25+ (mid size) and State/Local clerkships.
Many UW Law students are trying to PImprove the world, so I included Gov + PI.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Gustave wrote:UW ABA Employment stats are up.

Statistics of note, for UW 2013
TLS (100+ & Fed Clerkships) 15%
WA Adjusted (100+ & All Clerkships) 25%
Seattle Adjusted (26+ & All Clerkships) 47%
UW Adjusted (Gov, PI, 26+, Clerkships) 67%
Bar + JD Preferred 80%

Statistics of note, for SU 2013 (as a point of comparison)
TLS (100+ & Fed Clerkships) 7%
WA Adjusted (100+ & All Clerkships) 10%
Seattle Adjusted (26+ & All Clerkships) 19%
UW Adjusted (Gov, PI, 26+, Clerkships) 28%
Bar + JD Preferred 55%

Twice as good for every employment outcome, and half as many people without a Bar + JD FTLT jarb.

A quick justification for many of the statistics
Seattle has a very small and hard to crack legal market, so I included 25+ (mid size) and State/Local clerkships.
Many UW Law students are trying to PImprove the world, so I included Gov + PI.
Thanks for posting this. Noob question: how correlated are the better employment outcomes (BigLaw, Federal Clerkship etc.) with class rank?

Anonymous91

New

Post by Anonymous91 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I had a great time at ASD and I have decided to attend UW in the Fall. I just learned that Mercer Court does not have any more 2 bedroom apts available, but there are several 4 bedroom apts. Anybody looking for a roommate? I'm a 22 year old male - very organized and respectful of people's space.

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:21 pm

April 15th was the deadline for admitted students with merit-based scholarship offers to accept those offers. April 16-30 is the time frame in which they are redistributing the money coming back from withdrawals and admits who didn't accept their offers to give out to admits who didn't get an initial offer. Has anyone been contacted about a scholarship offer yet? I know it's still pretty early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 pm

zephyr12 wrote:April 15th was the deadline for admitted students with merit-based scholarship offers to accept those offers. April 16-30 is the time frame in which they are redistributing the money coming back from withdrawals and admits who didn't accept their offers to give out to admits who didn't get an initial offer. Has anyone been contacted about a scholarship offer yet? I know it's still pretty early.
As far as a timeline goes, last year I had my scholarship pushed upward in the first week of May.

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:57 pm

I got my scholarship drastically increased this week. I went from a fat zero to around 80% of tuition. Thrilled! Makes the decision really tough since I had basically written off uw full price. My advice is hang in there and make sure deal le knows you really want to go there. Good luck!

Pm w questions. I'm above 75ths but nothing crazy high

Gustave

New

Post by Gustave » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Using my 100th post to announce that I paid $500 to UW for that seat deposit. Anyone who wants to talk housing, Seattle, UW or anything else, let me know. Let's get some movement on here! Go Dawgs!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Gustave wrote:Using my 100th post to announce that I paid $500 to UW for that seat deposit. Anyone who wants to talk housing, Seattle, UW or anything else, let me know. Let's get some movement on here! Go Dawgs!
Congrats! It was definitely the best I've ever felt when writing a large check like that. I'm excited to get started.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kriegersan69

New

Post by kriegersan69 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 pm

hmm.. I'm in CA, and i'm looking at studios near campus on CL, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on La Vita apartments (http://www.lavitaapartments.com/). Has anyone checked them out? Are they legit?

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm

kriegersan69 wrote:hmm.. I'm in CA, and i'm looking at studios near campus on CL, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on La Vita apartments (http://www.lavitaapartments.com/). Has anyone checked them out? Are they legit?
Don't know about them specifically but I just looked at their website and it says "UPDATE: We are all leased for Fall 2014. Please visit us again next year."

So maybe that makes your decision for you?

As someone who has lived in Seattle for nearly 3 years now, I'd consider not living in the U District neighborhood if I were you. The housing stock is considered some of the worst in the city and has attracted some of worst landlords as well. There's some good affordable options in Ballard, Ravenna or Roosevelt if you're willing to take a bus/ride a bike for 20 minutes.

kriegersan69

New

Post by kriegersan69 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 pm

zephyr12 wrote:
kriegersan69 wrote:hmm.. I'm in CA, and i'm looking at studios near campus on CL, and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on La Vita apartments (http://www.lavitaapartments.com/). Has anyone checked them out? Are they legit?
Don't know about them specifically but I just looked at their website and it says "UPDATE: We are all leased for Fall 2014. Please visit us again next year."

So maybe that makes your decision for you?

As someone who has lived in Seattle for nearly 3 years now, I'd consider not living in the U District neighborhood if I were you. The housing stock is considered some of the worst in the city and has attracted some of worst landlords as well. There's some good affordable options in Ballard, Ravenna or Roosevelt if you're willing to take a bus/ride a bike for 20 minutes.
Yea, I'm on track to get a studio and reserved garage parking from them, but I haven't visited yet (visiting in late may).

pixy1900

New

Post by pixy1900 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:13 am

Just sent in my deposit! :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Anyone get a scholly bump in the last week? If so, was it solicited or unsolicited?

etoile

New

Post by etoile » Fri May 09, 2014 2:13 pm

zephyr12 wrote:Anyone get a scholly bump in the last week? If so, was it solicited or unsolicited?
+1

I'm waiting to hear back too!

zephyr12

New

Post by zephyr12 » Fri May 09, 2014 3:08 pm

etoile wrote:
zephyr12 wrote:Anyone get a scholly bump in the last week? If so, was it solicited or unsolicited?
+1

I'm waiting to hear back too!
I sent sort of a LOCI asking for a reconsideration of my merit-based offer (currently 10k/year) and Dean Le got back to me the same day with a nice e-mail that said I was on the list for reconsideration. He didn't give any dates though.

etoile

New

Post by etoile » Fri May 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Same. Though he added that it would take them a couple of days, so I'm hoping we find out any day now...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”