Northwestern AJD Class of 2016 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Current AJD students: What was the most important factor in your decision?

Lower opportunity cost
54%
More mature, experienced student body
21%
Job placement
11%
Personal reasons
14%

Total votes: 28

pompoms

Bronze

Re: Northwestern AJD Class of 2016

Post by pompoms » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:56 pm

paglababa wrote:
pompoms wrote:Predictions on when we'll hear about $ this week? I hope it's before the Open House, Friday!
Is it final that it's happening this week?
An email was sent stating that we should "expect tentative aid packages during the week of March 3."

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I'll predict Friday. My experiences with admissions (not NU-specific) have conditioned me to expect decisions to be made at or shortly after the announced deadlines.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

pompoms wrote:
paglababa wrote:
pompoms wrote:Predictions on when we'll hear about $ this week? I hope it's before the Open House, Friday!
Is it final that it's happening this week?
An email was sent stating that we should "expect tentative aid packages during the week of March 3."
Just being real, if they expect us to fork over $750 in TWO WEEKS :shock: (Fuuuuuuuuuuu.....) they better be slinging some serious info our way soon.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow, just got my UCLA financial aid info, and they don't need a decision until April. Come on Northwestern!

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 pm

@tweetsbyjohann:

1. Read more files
2. Go over decisions for release (pt 1)

3. Go over AJD scholarships
4. Go over UM fellowships
5. Go over decisions for release (pt 2)
6. MEETINGS!!

7. Have a drink several drinks w/ AJD Admits
8. Remember to smile :)
ftfy Johann :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:46 pm

Leo wrote:
@tweetsbyjohann:

1. Read more files

6. MEETINGS!!

+100.

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:56 pm

pompoms wrote:
Leo wrote:
@tweetsbyjohann:

1. Read more files

6. MEETINGS!!

+100.

bm25

New

Post by bm25 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm

AJD '15 here, chiming in with my two cents. Haven't read through everything on this board - apologies in advance if it's redundant. This post is mainly for people who are considering NU AJD w/scholarship vs. three year programs, which is the boat I was in last year.

1) In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the AJD program is taking your 1L classes with less than 30 students. Sections at NU are "small" relative to other schools anyway (~65), but 28 people is an incredibly unique opportunity to ease in to law school, feel more comfortable participating in class, make sure professors know who you are etc. I also personally like the regular schedule of the summer. It was predictable and I didn't find it overwhelming. Taking three finals in one week is undeniably rough, but again, I chalk the summer semester up as a big PLUS for the program. Also - Law school is challenging, and five finals periods is better than six, just as two calendar years of stress is better than three years.

2) Comparing the 3 yr programs: I was seriously considering three year programs, most specifically CCN. I came to NU mainly bc of the generous scholarship. I'll be honest, I've gone back and forth on whether or not I made the right choice. Ultimately, I think I did, for two reasons. First, even if you get a comparable scholarship at a three year program, you're foregoing around $160k in that first year's salary if BigLaw or a significant net positive salary even if not BigLaw. Next, I think it would have been totally self-indulgent for me to forego the scholarship in order to go to a school with a more traditionally prestigious program.

I say this because going to the NU AJD program does NOT mean foregoing any law school opportunities you would otherwise have had. Sometimes there are a couple more barriers, yes, like the hectic nature of the writing competition for journal at the end of the summer. But you have all the opportunities available to you- if you're already gunning for law review, think from now about reserving the last week in Aug to attack that writing competition with all you've got. If you're already certain that you want to clerk, study hard all summer and fall. If you're less sure about what you want to do, you do have time to experiment with courses, clinics, and externships (which are a good way to supplement your legal resume in place of a 1L job).

The mere possibility of liking another school's "ethos" better (how I felt about NYU) wasn't enough to make me think that I should risk a quarter of a million in debt. I would have had a lot more regrets if I had hated law school and was living so deeply in the red for three years.

3) The negatives: integrating into the "general population" of JDs can be a bit strange. NU law students are really friendly, but everyone else will have a whole year of student life together that in a sense you totally miss out on. Just something to think about if being really involved in student life is super important to you. (As a counter to that, the level of familiarity/friendliness the small AJD class has is unique and makes up for it, in my opinion).

Also, taking 17/credits a semester and being in curved classes with students who are taking 14 can put a chip on your shoulder. (but again, just be wise about your class choices and you'll be fine)

4) Personal work experience/goals: Public interest background, I was not planning to go into BigLaw, but I ended up doing OCI and will be summering at a firm. NU Law is in the top five for BigLaw placement, and AJD students reflect that percentage. If you don't want to do BigLaw, there are a wealth of government internships (including state prosecutor, USAO stuff) and public interest fellowships for the summer that you can apply for. If clerkships are on your mind, judicial externships are probably a good idea. If you do want to do BigLaw, I think that it's much less about the program and much more about your personal interview technique and bidding wisely. Make sure you have a compelling narrative that ties your work experience to why you are in law school, and how that all translates to working for the specific firm. All of the top firms recruit at NU, with a few exceptions (and I know that NU students have gotten jobs there anyway - WLRK/Debevoise).

CAVEAT: If you are totally committed, 100%, to doing public interest work, you should go to the best school you get into, whether highest ranked or best in your specialty area or whatnot, and sign up for the loan repayment assistance program. No or little debt because of LRAP at a T5 >no/little debt bc of scholarship at NU Law, imho.

Overall: Is doing the program a bit of a risk if presented with higher-ranked three year alternatives? Yes. In light of a scholarship? Not as much. Do I regret this? No.

Wow this is so long. Let me know if you have questions!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:45 pm

bm25 wrote:AJD '15 here, chiming in with my two cents. Haven't read through everything on this board - apologies in advance if it's redundant. This post is mainly for people who are considering NU AJD w/scholarship vs. three year programs, which is the boat I was in last year.

1) In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the AJD program is taking your 1L classes with less than 30 students. Sections at NU are "small" relative to other schools anyway (~65), but 28 people is an incredibly unique opportunity to ease in to law school, feel more comfortable participating in class, make sure professors know who you are etc. I also personally like the regular schedule of the summer. It was predictable and I didn't find it overwhelming. Taking three finals in one week is undeniably rough, but again, I chalk the summer semester up as a big PLUS for the program. Also - Law school is challenging, and five finals periods is better than six, just as two calendar years of stress is better than three years.

2) Comparing the 3 yr programs: I was seriously considering three year programs, most specifically CCN. I came to NU mainly bc of the generous scholarship. I'll be honest, I've gone back and forth on whether or not I made the right choice. Ultimately, I think I did, for two reasons. First, even if you get a comparable scholarship at a three year program, you're foregoing around $160k in that first year's salary if BigLaw or a significant net positive salary even if not BigLaw. Next, I think it would have been totally self-indulgent for me to forego the scholarship in order to go to a school with a more traditionally prestigious program.

I say this because going to the NU AJD program does NOT mean foregoing any law school opportunities you would otherwise have had. Sometimes there are a couple more barriers, yes, like the hectic nature of the writing competition for journal at the end of the summer. But you have all the opportunities available to you- if you're already gunning for law review, think from now about reserving the last week in Aug to attack that writing competition with all you've got. If you're already certain that you want to clerk, study hard all summer and fall. If you're less sure about what you want to do, you do have time to experiment with courses, clinics, and externships (which are a good way to supplement your legal resume in place of a 1L job).

The mere possibility of liking another school's "ethos" better (how I felt about NYU) wasn't enough to make me think that I should risk a quarter of a million in debt. I would have had a lot more regrets if I had hated law school and was living so deeply in the red for three years.

3) The negatives: integrating into the "general population" of JDs can be a bit strange. NU law students are really friendly, but everyone else will have a whole year of student life together that in a sense you totally miss out on. Just something to think about if being really involved in student life is super important to you. (As a counter to that, the level of familiarity/friendliness the small AJD class has is unique and makes up for it, in my opinion).

Also, taking 17/credits a semester and being in curved classes with students who are taking 14 can put a chip on your shoulder. (but again, just be wise about your class choices and you'll be fine)

4) Personal work experience/goals: Public interest background, I was not planning to go into BigLaw, but I ended up doing OCI and will be summering at a firm. NU Law is in the top five for BigLaw placement, and AJD students reflect that percentage. If you don't want to do BigLaw, there are a wealth of government internships (including state prosecutor, USAO stuff) and public interest fellowships for the summer that you can apply for. If clerkships are on your mind, judicial externships are probably a good idea. If you do want to do BigLaw, I think that it's much less about the program and much more about your personal interview technique and bidding wisely. Make sure you have a compelling narrative that ties your work experience to why you are in law school, and how that all translates to working for the specific firm. All of the top firms recruit at NU, with a few exceptions (and I know that NU students have gotten jobs there anyway - WLRK/Debevoise).

CAVEAT: If you are totally committed, 100%, to doing public interest work, you should go to the best school you get into, whether highest ranked or best in your specialty area or whatnot, and sign up for the loan repayment assistance program. No or little debt because of LRAP at a T5 >no/little debt bc of scholarship at NU Law, imho.

Overall: Is doing the program a bit of a risk if presented with higher-ranked three year alternatives? Yes. In light of a scholarship? Not as much. Do I regret this? No.

Wow this is so long. Let me know if you have questions!
This whole post is pretty much exactly what I'm considering right now. I'm mostly just upset, because I'm sitting here with no scholarship offer to consider less than two weeks before I have to hand over my deposit. I like the idea of not wasting a year of my life. I just want to make sure that AJDs feel like they can successfully grab the same job opportunities as regular NU JD's. Also, not going to lie the NLJ's BIGLAW list really helped assuage some of my fears.

My only question is: Do you really feel like you have the time/energy you need to pursue student orgs/journals/clinics/externships or anything that isn't directly for a class?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrHart

New

Post by MrHart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:08 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:I'm sitting here with no scholarship offer to consider less than two weeks before I have to hand over my deposit.
If you are feeling squeezed for time, I suggest asking NU about an extension to the deposit deadline. I think you can make a good argument that an extension is reasonable given the delay in scholarship/loan information. This is an important decision and you need sufficient time to weigh all factors carefully, especially the financial aspects. I'd be very surprised if they didn't extend the deadline. In my year, a guy sent in a deposit and moved to Chicago the weekend before classes started, so I think the situation is more flexible than the administration cares to admit / generally allow.

As to your concern about AJD v. JD job opportunities, I would say that in my experience, the AJD route is no more risky than entering a regular JD program at this time.

- Hart

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Argh. Not the email I was hoping for from NU. Come on already!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

Leo wrote:Argh. Not the email I was hoping for from NU. Come on already!
Just getting on to post this.
MrHart wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:I'm sitting here with no scholarship offer to consider less than two weeks before I have to hand over my deposit.
If you are feeling squeezed for time, I suggest asking NU about an extension to the deposit deadline. I think you can make a good argument that an extension is reasonable given the delay in scholarship/loan information. This is an important decision and you need sufficient time to weigh all factors carefully, especially the financial aspects. I'd be very surprised if they didn't extend the deadline. In my year, a guy sent in a deposit and moved to Chicago the weekend before classes started, so I think the situation is more flexible than the administration cares to admit / generally allow.

As to your concern about AJD v. JD job opportunities, I would say that in my experience, the AJD route is no more risky than entering a regular JD program at this time.

- Hart
I'm hoping they will be more reasonable with the deadline. I have plenty of viable reasons for wanting an extension (getting married in 17 days...) Can you suggest a way to approach asking for an extension, Hart?

MrHart

New

Post by MrHart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote: I'm hoping they will be more reasonable with the deadline. I have plenty of viable reasons for wanting an extension (getting married in 17 days...) Can you suggest a way to approach asking for an extension, Hart?
Are you coming to the AJD visit day this Friday? Easier to make the case if you have shown initiative to come to campus and listen to their / our spiel. I'll ask around and see if there is a consensus for suggested method to request an extension.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:45 pm

MrHart wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote: I'm hoping they will be more reasonable with the deadline. I have plenty of viable reasons for wanting an extension (getting married in 17 days...) Can you suggest a way to approach asking for an extension, Hart?
Are you coming to the AJD visit day this Friday? Easier to make the case if you have shown initiative to come to campus and listen to their / our spiel. I'll ask around and see if there is a consensus for suggested method to request an extension.

Aaaahhhhhh... I WISH I was going to be there Friday. I had all ready made plans that weekend, because I didn't find out about the AJD ASW until about a month ago... I get the feeling that probably would have been the best approach, and would give a lot to be able to cancel those plans. But unfortunately, I will not be there. I was thinking a phone call MIGHT be a good idea? I feel like pretty much anything is better than an email...

bm25

New

Post by bm25 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:49 pm

I asked for an extension by saying that I was VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE OFFER, but that I was considering 3 year programs, was still waiting on admissions decisions from a couple of law schools, and was waiting on financial aid packages from most schools. They gave me two weeks, I think, although they were reluctant about it. I said something along the lines of it not being in their office's interests to have me pay just to meet the deadline and then end up withdrawing at the last minute anyway (in a nice way).

I ended up paying the deposit before fully committing in my mind to go here anyway, bc it was worth it to keep my place.

Regarding time for non-class activities: If I was more interested in doing specific activities, I would make the time. I do a couple non-class things that I'm somewhat interested in, but only in moderation. not bc I couldn't make the time if I wanted to, but because I choose to use that time to see my loved ones and consume some Netflix when I want to etc. I do think I would have more energy for a couple things if in the three year program, yes, but you can be choosy about what you want to be involved in (and whether it's for the sake of being involved, or for the payoff on your resume), and devote a lot of time to it accordingly.

MrHart

New

Post by MrHart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote: Aaaahhhhhh... I WISH I was going to be there Friday. I had all ready made plans that weekend, because I didn't find out about the AJD ASW until about a month ago... I get the feeling that probably would have been the best approach, and would give a lot to be able to cancel those plans. But unfortunately, I will not be there. I was thinking a phone call MIGHT be a good idea? I feel like pretty much anything is better than an email...
I talked to another '14 AJD and her experience was similar to mine on this... Generally speaking, the NULaw admissions staff was pretty receptive to adjusting for our own personal situations, and they will probably be flexible with you too.

I agree that a phone call would be best. I would just relate your situation and try to convey that you are still (earnestly) trying to gather information about your law school options. Since the deposit deadline is drawing near, you would like a little more time (say two weeks?) to make an informed, deliberate decision.

Good luck!

- Hart

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 pm

MrHart wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote: Aaaahhhhhh... I WISH I was going to be there Friday. I had all ready made plans that weekend, because I didn't find out about the AJD ASW until about a month ago... I get the feeling that probably would have been the best approach, and would give a lot to be able to cancel those plans. But unfortunately, I will not be there. I was thinking a phone call MIGHT be a good idea? I feel like pretty much anything is better than an email...
I talked to another '14 AJD and her experience was similar to mine on this... Generally speaking, the NULaw admissions staff was pretty receptive to adjusting for our own personal situations, and they will probably be flexible with you too.

I agree that a phone call would be best. I would just relate your situation and try to convey that you are still (earnestly) trying to gather information about your law school options. Since the deposit deadline is drawing near, you would like a little more time (say two weeks?) to make an informed, deliberate decision.

Good luck!

- Hart
Thanks so much! I really appreciate this!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 pm

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Leo wrote:Image

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ETA: Wait... he didn't tweet this... where did this come from?!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:22 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:Image

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ETA: Wait... he didn't tweet this... where did this come from?!
He did, no?
https://twitter.com/tweetsbyjohann

But why does he have a Penn pad?

kcdc1

Silver

Post by kcdc1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:02 am

Well, I had predicted Friday for aid packages, but I'm now thinking today will be the day. Tomorrow, during the Open House, doesn't seem like a good setting to release the offers. At the very least, it would be awkward to have everyone on their phones checking their aid packages together. And Johann's tweet seemed to suggest we were next on the to-do list. It will be nice to finally have enough relevant information to begin making my decision--tho like others, I am still waiting on admissions decisions.

In any event, I'm looking forward to meeting many of you tomorrow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pompoms

Bronze

Post by pompoms » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 am

kcdc1 wrote:Well, I had predicted Friday for aid packages, but I'm now thinking today will be the day. Tomorrow, during the Open House, doesn't seem like a good setting to release the offers. At the very least, it would be awkward to have everyone on their phones checking their aid packages together. And Johann's tweet seemed to suggest we were next on the to-do list. It will be nice to finally have enough relevant information to begin making my decision--tho like others, I am still waiting on admissions decisions.

Excited to meet you all, too! Trying to figure out if I should introduce myself as [name] or [TLS handle] :)

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:56 am

pompoms wrote:
kcdc1 wrote:Well, I had predicted Friday for aid packages, but I'm now thinking today will be the day. Tomorrow, during the Open House, doesn't seem like a good setting to release the offers. At the very least, it would be awkward to have everyone on their phones checking their aid packages together. And Johann's tweet seemed to suggest we were next on the to-do list. It will be nice to finally have enough relevant information to begin making my decision--tho like others, I am still waiting on admissions decisions.

Excited to meet you all, too! Trying to figure out if I should introduce myself as [name] or [TLS handle] :)
pompoms wrote:

:( I can't believe I'm missing this!! GAH! Have a great time, and PLEASE post your impressions here for those of us who couldn't make it!

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:

:( I can't believe I'm missing this!! GAH! Have a great time, and PLEASE post your impressions here for those of us who couldn't make it!

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Also, Johann, don't forget about us! :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”