USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
philipthegreat

New

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by philipthegreat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Also, love the HP reference mirroroferised7. Do you see yourself at USC when you look in the mirror?

musicdiplomacy

New

Post by musicdiplomacy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:I have to say... some of the stuff about UCLA's out-right racism is kind of swaying me towards USC...
what stuff?[/quote]

There was a bunch of black students complaining there wasn't enough black students. Nothing beyond that.[/quote]

Is it racist if that annoys me?[/quote]

I think it's legitimate to be concerned by a lack of students of color (non-URM myself) but perhaps this isn't the forum for discussing whether or not it's racist?[/quote]

philipthegreat is right in that this may not be the best forum. that being said, here's the link to the info:
http://abovethelaw.com/2014/02/racism-a ... ol-of-law/

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:28 pm

omzster67 wrote:
zman wrote:
omzster67 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:I have to say... some of the stuff about UCLA's out-right racism is kind of swaying me towards USC...
what stuff?
There was a bunch of black students complaining there wasn't enough black students. Nothing beyond that.
Is it racist if that annoys me?
1) It's not that there aren't enough black students. It's the fact that they are routinely singled out, and othered on campus.

2) Is it racist if that bothers you? No, but your goddamn privilege is showing. You might want to check that before you look like an asshole.

3) And there's more: http://abovethelaw.com/2014/02/racism-a ... ol-of-law/

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:30 pm

philipthegreat wrote:Also, love the HP reference mirroroferised7. Do you see yourself at USC when you look in the mirror?

And philip, you're totally right that this is just not the right forum for that. TLS is nothing if not homogeneous.

Also, I don't see myself at law school, I see myself kicking ass and taking names as in-house at some giant entertainment corporation :D

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 pm

It looks a lot worse now after reading that article.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

philipthegreat

New

Post by philipthegreat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:16 pm

I meant thread not forum sorry. This is definitely a question we should ask about law schools before we make a decision to attend and is hence relevant here. However people that are mad about AA should sound off in a dedicated thread.

philipthegreat

New

Post by philipthegreat » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:36 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
1) It's not that there aren't enough black students. It's the fact that they are routinely singled out, and othered on campus.

2) Is it racist if that bothers you? No, but your goddamn privilege is showing. You might want to check that before you look like an asshole.

Wow, UCLA sux. Also (violating my own recommendation Here) re: #2 failure to check privilege still counts as passive racism no?

EDIT: Spelling

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:10 pm

philipthegreat wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:

Wow, UCLA sux. Also (violating my own recommendation Here) re: #2 failure to check privilege still counts as passive racism no?

EDIT: Spelling
Checked with the (not even fucking with you) racial justice program manager at my job. They confirmed that yes, yes it is.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:37 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Also, I don't see myself at law school, I see myself kicking ass and taking names as in-house at some giant entertainment corporation :D
This.

That's the thought process that will get all [Edit: "most"] of us through law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Just got a personal invite from Dean Robert Rasmussen to attend a reception at his home for students who have been accepted into Gould and went to USC. Very cool! Some of my favorite things about USC are the school's Trojan Family and the go-getter attitude in its efforts to be a top undergraduate and graduate institution.

ohhdear

New

Post by ohhdear » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Just got a personal invite from Dean Robert Rasmussen to attend a reception at his home for students who have been accepted into Gould and went to USC. Very cool! Some of my favorite things about USC are the school's Trojan Family and the go-getter attitude in its efforts to be a top undergraduate and graduate institution.
That's awesome!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Just got a personal invite from Dean Robert Rasmussen to attend a reception at his home for students who have been accepted into Gould and went to USC. Very cool! Some of my favorite things about USC are the school's Trojan Family and the go-getter attitude in its efforts to be a top undergraduate and graduate institution.

I just RSVP'd for this.

FizzyBeepBop24

New

Post by FizzyBeepBop24 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Just checking in!

I'm actually a UCLA grad, and I received a similar email for Bruins who have been accepted into Gould. They even reference "going across town." Would go if I weren't out of town - but I love that they do this.

Only in on Tuesday, still waiting to hear about that money! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:35 pm

FizzyBeepBop24 wrote:
Just checking in!

I'm actually a UCLA grad, and I received a similar email for Bruins who have been accepted into Gould. They even reference "going across town." Would go if I weren't out of town - but I love that they do this.

Only in on Tuesday, still waiting to hear about that money! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hah, I like that they reference the rivalry! For what it's worth, I got my scholarship email about 3 weeks after my acceptance. Good luck!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Congrats Fizzy! That's neat that they do that.

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Changed your username I see! Nice avatar, would that happen to be... power rangers?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Changed your username I see! Nice avatar, would that happen to be... power rangers?

Ya, when I first signed up I thought username was personal, not public. I thought it was time to change it. And yes, Zordon... I suppose I was being indoctrinated into listening to talking heads on the T.V. at the tender age of 4.

So, you going to double Trojan reception? I know this could potentially reveal our secret identities....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:52 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Changed your username I see! Nice avatar, would that happen to be... power rangers?

Ya, when I first signed up I thought username was personal, not public. I thought it was time to change it. And yes, Zordon... I suppose I was being indoctrinated into listening to talking heads on the T.V. at the tender age of 4.

So, you going to double Trojan reception? I know this could potentially reveal our secret identities....

How many people are expected to be there?

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

Just got 50k a year!

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 pm

applelover wrote:Just got 50k a year!
Can you share your stats?? USC is all over the place with $$$$.. I saw a bunch of people who got 50k per year with just barely above 75th numbers and yet some who are way over the 75 are only getting 40k per year.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:52 pm

xJD2017x wrote:
applelover wrote:Just got 50k a year!
Can you share your stats?? USC is all over the place with $$$$.. I saw a bunch of people who got 50k per year with just barely above 75th numbers and yet some who are way over the 75 are only getting 40k per year.
Above 75ths for both, but my GPA is way over the 75th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:

Hah, yeah that was probably a good idea just for anonymity's sake. Speaking of anonymity, I RSVPed for the reception yesterday, and we are indeed compromising our secret identities by admitting so. Should be fine though since we are Brojans.

JUCO

New

Post by JUCO » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:57 pm

This "Racism thing" at UCLA is probably the best thing that ever happened to usc law school.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:06 pm

JUCO wrote:This "Racism thing" at UCLA is probably the best thing that ever happened to USC law school.
I dont think many people even know about that outside UCLA law school.. It might discourage certain people not to go there I guess but that's not likely...

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:23 pm

So, here are some photos to get us all stoked for USC! I'll show campus pics and pics of the things immediately surrounding the campus (e.g., downtown Los Angeles: Rose Garden, L.A. Live, Staples Center...).

The law school building is unfortunately the ugliest building on campus. Very 1980s.

I'll also post two pics at the end of the Wallis Annenberg Hall and of Dauterive Hall, which should both be open by the time we arrive. There is also the USC Village that is being built, but won't be done until about 2020 (3 phases of 24 months each), but, we'll see some of the benefits. There is also a bar at USC, Traddies, which is pretty cool (and underground). Either way, we all better meet up once we get there and grab a drink.

[EDIT: Spelling]

Last edited by Captain Rodeo on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”