USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
mirroroferised7

Silver

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by mirroroferised7 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Power_of_Facing wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:Above both 75ths

Admitted three weeks ago exactly.

Scholarship $135k, $45k/yr.
Is that about what you expected? Are you likely to take it?
It's about what I expected, but... to be honest, UCLA has better employment numbers, so I would probably take this scholarship offer to them and ask for a counter. I got $35k/yr from them. Plus, UCLA has instate tuition for everyone after the first year.

YouGoGlenCoCo

New

Post by YouGoGlenCoCo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

Above 75th in both LSAT and gpa.

Only offered 35k/year, kinda disappointed actually.

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

50k a year for 150k total. Above both 75ths, also got travel stipend approved a few days ago too :)

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

It's about what I expected, but... to be honest, UCLA has better employment numbers, so I would probably take this scholarship offer to them and ask for a counter. I got $35k/yr from them. Plus, UCLA has instate tuition for everyone after the first year.
UCLA will up your offer but they don't have better empoyment numbers, that's a myth. IF you look clerkship/big law last couple of years it's slightly better for USC and overall employment is better for USC(UCLA hires about 12% of their class). Also according to a database here on these forums USC has better median income.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:Why doesn't Gould administration put up a class of 2017 facebook page like so many other schools do? It might improve the yield.
Hm, not sure! Perhaps you should email them about it.
I don't really care that much but it might imrove recruiting and yield if people got to know each other.. It's something the administration should be on top off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jstep

New

Post by jstep » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

xJD2017x wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Hello everyone, currently an undergrad at USC. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, I'll try my best to give good answers. Congrats on getting accepted to Gould!

Why doesn't Gould administration put up a class of 2017 facebook page like so many other schools do? It might improve the yield.
Jump in this guy's FB grp to start building traction:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/615148768564533/

jstep

New

Post by jstep » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 pm

zman wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

UCLA will up your offer but they don't have better empoyment numbers, that's a myth. IF you look clerkship/big law last couple of years it's slightly better for USC and overall employment is better for USC(UCLA hires about 12% of their class). Also according to a database here on these forums USC has better median income.
+1

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:51 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

Do you think ucla will match? I'm in a similar situation. Same scholly from usc but 20/year from ucla.

Power_of_Facing

Bronze

Post by Power_of_Facing » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:13 pm

thestatusguo wrote:50k a year for 150k total. Above both 75ths, also got travel stipend approved a few days ago too :)
Interesting -- do you figure these offers mean no Rothman?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Got a rothman invite but didn't actually apply for a rothman so can't help there :/ Good luck though :)

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:13 pm

I got offered 40k a year, 120k total today with an above median GPA and 175+ LSAT. I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with the scholarship offer at all.

I want to hang on to my admission for now to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Does anyone know if the lower T14 would care about USC enough to negotiate? If not, I should probably withdraw soon so I don't take up space for someone else who would really love to go to USC.

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:25 am

45k a year about both 75ths

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:I got offered 40k a year, 120k total today with an above median GPA and 175+ LSAT. I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with the scholarship offer at all.

I want to hang on to my admission for now to negotiate scholarships from other schools. Does anyone know if the lower T14 would care about USC enough to negotiate? If not, I should probably withdraw soon so I don't take up space for someone else who would really love to go to USC.
T-14 schools do not consider USC a peer school, so they won't care. The only schools that might raise your scholarship are perhaps USC peer schools like UCLA,Texas and Vandy. Whatever your initial offer will likely stay. Having said that, I'm suprised lower T-14s didn't give you 100K++ with a 175 LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wholahoop

New

Post by wholahoop » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:46 pm

I got 30K per year with <25th GPA and >75 LSAT so I'm pretty happy with it, but I got the exact same offer from UCLA (although with a low 2.75 GPA requirement).

Should I still ask for more? It seems weird to present the exact same offer from a peer school to get more money. :/

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 pm

zman wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
Power_of_Facing wrote:

Shameless pro-USC trolling. LST still backs UCLA.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=ucla
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=usc

UCLA does hire 12% of their graduating class, and USC does have better federal clerkships. I checked both of their websites, and they report similar salaries. On top of this, I want to go into BL, and UCLA has a hire rate of placement there. PLUS, you can't beat saving money on in-state tuition.

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Equal money I would go to UCLA because it is more highly regarded by law firms and so on but it does not translate into better employment stats. I don't care about being pro any school but to say that UCLA has better employment stats is just factually wrong.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 am

zman wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:I got offered 40k a year, 120k total today with an above median GPA and 175+ LSAT. I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with the scholarship offer at all.

T-14 schools do not consider USC a peer school, so they won't care. The only schools that might raise your scholarship are perhaps USC peer schools like UCLA,Texas and Vandy. Whatever your initial offer will likely stay. Having said that, I'm suprised lower T-14s didn't give you 100K++ with a 175 LSAT.
I haven't heard back from very many schools since I submitted late so USC is one of my first and few acceptances. I have no idea what the field is going to look like this year so I didn't want to assume that I would get in/get money from other schools. It seems like this cycle has been very unpredictable so better safe than sorry.

On the other hand, I literally just found out I got $$ from a T6 so I think i'm bowing out. Hopefully, they can give my spot to some else now :D

Good luck to all of you!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

philipthegreat

New

Post by philipthegreat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am

milkandcheerios wrote:
On the other hand, I literally just found out I got $$ from a T6 so I think i'm bowing out. Hopefully, they can give my spot to some else now :D

Good luck to all of you!!
Way to go, congrats!

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:39 pm

jstep wrote:
xJD2017x wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Hello everyone, currently an undergrad at USC. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, I'll try my best to give good answers. Congrats on getting accepted to Gould!

Why doesn't Gould administration put up a class of 2017 facebook page like so many other schools do? It might improve the yield.
Jump in this guy's FB grp to start building traction:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/615148768564533/
No thanks.. We need a real FB page not something run by someone graduating UG in 2015. I guess we won't have anything serious until people actually decide where they will matriculate.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:04 pm

Well, I just joined the FB group; I didn't know they were created by admin. If they aren't going to make one (do they usually?) then it seems to me this is fine to join. Unless we want to request them for one, but it may be better to wait a few more weeks.

Anyway, what I'm concerned about is housing. Who's not going to live in downtown?

mirroroferised7

Silver

Post by mirroroferised7 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:41 pm

I have to say... some of the stuff about UCLA's out-right racism is kind of swaying me towards USC...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:43 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:I have to say... some of the stuff about UCLA's out-right racism is kind of swaying me towards USC...
what stuff?

zman

Bronze

Post by zman » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:49 pm

omzster67 wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:I have to say... some of the stuff about UCLA's out-right racism is kind of swaying me towards USC...
what stuff?
There was a bunch of black students complaining there wasn't enough black students. Nothing beyond that.

omzster67

Bronze

Post by omzster67 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:46 pm

zman wrote:
omzster67 wrote:
what stuff?
There was a bunch of black students complaining there wasn't enough black students. Nothing beyond that.
Is it racist if that annoys me?

philipthegreat

New

Post by philipthegreat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:50 pm

omzster67 wrote:
zman wrote:
omzster67 wrote:
what stuff?
Is it racist if that annoys me?
I think it's legitimate to be concerned by a lack of students of color (non-URM myself) but perhaps this isn't the forum for discussing whether or not it's racist?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”