USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
cottoncandymaniac

New

Re: USC GOULD CLASS OF 2017

Post by cottoncandymaniac » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 am

is there a separate thread for those who've been waitlisted?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed May 14, 2014 11:21 am

cottoncandymaniac wrote:is there a separate thread for those who've been waitlisted?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1550

MikeJD

Bronze

Post by MikeJD » Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 pm

cottoncandymaniac wrote:is there a separate thread for those who've been waitlisted?

IF you look at LSN a ton of people who sent deposits to USC are on waitlists that have not been withdrawn so I bet there will be a ton of movement.

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Thu May 22, 2014 5:01 pm

Has anyone been admitted from the waitlist yet?? I'm in the FB page and a bunch of people have gotten off the waitlist elsewhere and have moved on and yet no waitlist movement from USC.

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Fri May 30, 2014 9:20 am

I'm coming from the East Coast and seriously struggling with my apartment search. I've been to LA 3 times and a have a few areas in mind, but all the locals I know have given me widely varying opinions and I can't seem to narrow down my search.

My SO and I really like Culver City -- we'll have one car between the two of us so we love that this area is Metro accessible. Some locals have given us the thumbs up on the area, others have said to avoid it.

We also like Los Feliz/Silverlake and feel that this area fits our needs pretty well and is generally very safe, but I spoke to a realtor from TRG and she told me it's really hard to rent in this area if you haven't physically been to the buildings and met with the landlords because they are very selective.

If there are any locals here that can give me some honest advice/guidance, I would really appreciate it! Oh and I guess you need some more info on us.. I'm 21 and he's 23. He'll be working full time (still job searching) while I'm in school. We love to go out to eat, enjoy the outdoors, and exploring new places/activities, but we aren't big "go out and get wasted" people. Quiet and safety are two of our primary concerns in finding a place to live.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mhaas

Bronze

Post by mhaas » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:07 pm

cmroberto wrote:I'm coming from the East Coast and seriously struggling with my apartment search. I've been to LA 3 times and a have a few areas in mind, but all the locals I know have given me widely varying opinions and I can't seem to narrow down my search.

My SO and I really like Culver City -- we'll have one car between the two of us so we love that this area is Metro accessible. Some locals have given us the thumbs up on the area, others have said to avoid it.

We also like Los Feliz/Silverlake and feel that this area fits our needs pretty well and is generally very safe, but I spoke to a realtor from TRG and she told me it's really hard to rent in this area if you haven't physically been to the buildings and met with the landlords because they are very selective.

If there are any locals here that can give me some honest advice/guidance, I would really appreciate it! Oh and I guess you need some more info on us.. I'm 21 and he's 23. He'll be working full time (still job searching) while I'm in school. We love to go out to eat, enjoy the outdoors, and exploring new places/activities, but we aren't big "go out and get wasted" people. Quiet and safety are two of our primary concerns in finding a place to live.

Thanks!
I'm definitely not a local, but i've heard good things about Korea Town (affordable rent, decent restaurants, reasonably safe). I'm flying down there in a couple weeks to find a place, if I find any worthwhile areas i'll be sure to let you know!

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:41 pm

mhaas wrote:
cmroberto wrote:I'm coming from the East Coast and seriously struggling with my apartment search. I've been to LA 3 times and a have a few areas in mind, but all the locals I know have given me widely varying opinions and I can't seem to narrow down my search.

Thanks!
I'm definitely not a local, but i've heard good things about Korea Town (affordable rent, decent restaurants, reasonably safe). I'm flying down there in a couple weeks to find a place, if I find any worthwhile areas i'll be sure to let you know!
Thanks! I appreciate the input. Unfortunately neither myself nor my SO can get the time off from work (or afford to take the time off) to fly out and look at places so we're in a tough position. I have family in the valley as well as Marina Del Ray who will hopefully help is scope out a place.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:41 pm

So, I don't seem able to make a poll on here

I was wondering out of curiosity and boredom where everyone is going to/planning on live/ing

Terrace?

Walking Distance from Campus?

LA Suburb? (Culver City/West Hollywood/Silver Lake/Echo Park, etc...)

Still Looking?

So, I'll go first- a house, walking distance from campus with other 0Ls

logicspeaks

Bronze

Post by logicspeaks » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:15 pm

At first I was determined to live walking distance from campus but then I realized how much money I could save by living in "less desirable" surrounding areas. So that's probably what I'll be doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 pm

logicspeaks wrote:At first I was determined to live walking distance from campus but then I realized how much money I could save by living in "less desirable" surrounding areas. So that's probably what I'll be doing.

Ya, good thinking. We went off the assumption- no Terrace, but still close to campus.

However, there are a lot of nice places, that you have to commute to, but still reasonably close. That seems to be the 2L and 3L trend

Where are you thinking of?

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Also, I'm getting antsy/excited to start.

Anybody else?

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:09 am

Captain Rodeo wrote:Also, I'm getting antsy/excited to start.

Anybody else?
Me too! Also getting VERY excited about relocating to LA. I've had my last New England winter...

as far as your "poll" goes, I'll definitely be going with an LA suburb on the Metro. We have one car between myself and my SO, but he'll be driving it to work, so I need to have access to the Metro for the days he can't drop me at school.

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm

cmroberto wrote:
Captain Rodeo wrote:Also, I'm getting antsy/excited to start.

Anybody else?
Me too! Also getting VERY excited about relocating to LA. I've had my last New England winter...

as far as your "poll" goes, I'll definitely be going with an LA suburb on the Metro. We have one car between myself and my SO, but he'll be driving it to work, so I need to have access to the Metro for the days he can't drop me at school.

Ya, no more winter for you. Cool thing about CA is that you can drive to the winter spots if you want to. And we have some really nice ones (Yosemite, Mammoth). I prefer the cold over the hot though.

I saw your previous post. You're looking at the right spots. I don't really live close to LA, however, so I'm not too familiar with those areas, just that they are popular choices for surrounding cities for LA.

So, I was the one who looked at places to live- while my roommates saw videos and pics I posted. They are all either on the east coast, Midwest, or out of the country.

What will give you the absolute best feel for a place is a video tour of it. Not pictures. Tell whatever landlord/apartment company manager that you are really interested, but you need a video tour of the place to really seal the deal. Pictures can be/are very, very deceiving.

As far as the surrounding area goes, the general reputation of the place plus Google street view will be important tools.

For general niceness of towns, I've heard: Silverlake > Echo Park/ > /Culver City. That's off of hearsay and not my own observation. So take it with a grain of sand. Here's how I got there:

Culver City: I've heard it's fine, but the only thing that's out there is just one really nice street with shops and a theatre, etc.... I was there a while ago, and the street was nice, but short.

Echo Park: Nice, expect for the gangs. That's from someone I met who lives there now. Hence my slashes, since EP and CC may be interchangeable. There are always going to be gangs in the wrong spots of town.

Silverlake: nice area, lots of nature around it (I got that from my own searches). And I heard, also from the person who told me about CC, that it's a nice area with lots of hipsters.

I had a teacher at SC who commutes from Eagle Rock, but I don't know much about it or how far it is.
Last edited by Captain Rodeo on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Also, cmroberto, this http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/ is a fantastic forum. People discuss all the places you have in mind. You may want to make a profile and ask your questions on there, or they may already be answered.

Niners4Life

New

Post by Niners4Life » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:24 pm

Captain Rodeo wrote:So, I don't seem able to make a poll on here

I was wondering out of curiosity and boredom where everyone is going to/planning on live/ing

Terrace?

Walking Distance from Campus?

LA Suburb? (Culver City/West Hollywood/Silver Lake/Echo Park, etc...)

Still Looking?

So, I'll go first- a house, walking distance from campus with other 0Ls

Meant to officially join this thread a while ago.

I'm definitely still looking. I prefer something close to either USC or the Metro because effff L.A. traffic. Still trying to find a roommate if anyone is interested... :)

Captain Rodeo

Bronze

Post by Captain Rodeo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:32 pm

Niners4Life wrote:
Meant to officially join this thread a while ago.

I'm definitely still looking. I prefer something close to either USC or the Metro because effff L.A. traffic. Still trying to find a roommate if anyone is interested... :)
I'd make yourself known on the FB group. Some other people are looking on there too

cmroberto

New

Post by cmroberto » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:04 pm

we finally found a place to live! I will be commuting from Los Feliz. Anyone else planning to live there or in Silver Lake?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesunnybunny

New

Post by thesunnybunny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:32 am

I've heard of a lot of USC students recommend Los Feliz/Silverlake but I personally will be living in Terrace. Anyone else with me??

xJD2017x

Bronze

Post by xJD2017x » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 pm

ANy idea how man depositers they have now the that the 2nd deadline is past.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Last edited by Hand on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:25 pm

hey does usc have an outline bank that isn't http://weblaw.usc.edu/why/students/orgs ... tlines.cfm ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”