UCLA Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Which welcome reception will you be attending?

Monday, March 10
12
41%
Sunday, April 6
17
59%
 
Total votes: 29

ninjagirl
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby ninjagirl » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 am

People who have technical backgrounds and might be interested in IP, check out the law preview scholarships. Deadline of June 1 to apply.
http://www.lawpreview.com/index.php/ucl ... f-law-ipsp

There are also (separate) Diversity Law Preview Scholarships available. Check out the main link:
http://www.lawpreview.com/scholarships

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Glasseyes » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:14 am

CookieDough wrote:Oh now you need to tell us who you are :)


Dunno if this will ring a bell, but I was in entertainment before this.

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby toshiroh » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Checking in, maybe

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Frozinite wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
Frozinite wrote:Aw man, why did no one tell me about this thread. I was hanging around the applicants thread the entire time, I would love to have met some TLSers at the ASD.

I was in Section 3 (which was filled with military and out-of-school-for-a-while/married/have kids folks) if anyone is wondering if they met me.


I definitely met you then lol


Sweet.....so what happens now? Do we try to guess who in the room was the other? :? *awkward*


Group 3 as well. I know Glasseyes since we chatted during the evening reception. Frozinite, easy one given the major & undergrad. CookieDough, not positive, but I think I remember. Given you're female, you're not Frozinite and you're not from Portland...I'm pretty sure I remember.

I was the first intro after the current students. Had my sis with me (she lives in Venice and wanted to come hang out all day since we only see each other every year or two).

Big G3 presence on TLS!

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby CookieDough » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:47 am

Soco Law wrote:
Frozinite wrote:
CookieDough wrote:
Frozinite wrote:Aw man, why did no one tell me about this thread. I was hanging around the applicants thread the entire time, I would love to have met some TLSers at the ASD.

I was in Section 3 (which was filled with military and out-of-school-for-a-while/married/have kids folks) if anyone is wondering if they met me.


I definitely met you then lol


Sweet.....so what happens now? Do we try to guess who in the room was the other? :? *awkward*


Group 3 as well. I know Glasseyes since we chatted during the evening reception. Frozinite, easy one given the major & undergrad. CookieDough, not positive, but I think I remember. Given you're female, you're not Frozinite and you're not from Portland...I'm pretty sure I remember.

I was the first intro after the current students. Had my sis with me (she lives in Venice and wanted to come hang out all day since we only see each other every year or two).

Big G3 presence on TLS!


Lol I wish I'd known that half the group was from TLS at the time!

And yes I remember you. I'm the one who made things awkward by asking an apparently difficult question lmao

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:54 am

CookieDough wrote:Lol I wish I'd known that half the group was from TLS at the time!

And yes I remember you. I'm the one who made things awkward by asking an apparently difficult question lmao


I definitely remember you now as well! Big contingent here on TLS from our breakout group of 10-12!

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!

ninjagirl
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:29 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby ninjagirl » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!


Thanks so much for the tips!

gta
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby gta » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Feeling really weird about UCLA. It would be a contender for with $$$ and my numbers are deserving, but I wasn't offered any off the bat. I requested a "reconsideration of merit scholarship aid" on Tuesday and have heard nothing in return. What's up? :shock:

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Glasseyes » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Yea All Right wrote:Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!


I'm curious what your scholly timeline was like?

Oddly enough, I did exactly this a few weeks ago - shared offers from peer and higher ranked schools... and literally got nothing. I got the impression it may have been a case of timing, as I was told to inquire again later, but it's disheartening.

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:52 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!


I'm curious what your scholly timeline was like?

Oddly enough, I did exactly this a few weeks ago - shared offers from peer and higher ranked schools... and literally got nothing. I got the impression it may have been a case of timing, as I was told to inquire again later, but it's disheartening.


I recommend sending an email directly to the Dean and/or Director of Admissions as opposed to the general Admissions Office inbox. That should decrease the chance of your message getting lost in all of the hustle and bustle. After establishing contact with the right people, I provided my current offers, and about a week or two later they got back to me with their offer.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Glasseyes » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!


I'm curious what your scholly timeline was like?

Oddly enough, I did exactly this a few weeks ago - shared offers from peer and higher ranked schools... and literally got nothing. I got the impression it may have been a case of timing, as I was told to inquire again later, but it's disheartening.


I recommend sending an email directly to the Dean and/or Director of Admissions as opposed to the general Admissions Office inbox. That should decrease the chance of your message getting lost in all of the hustle and bustle. After establishing contact with the right people, I provided my current offers, and about a week or two later they got back to me with their offer.


My bad, I made that somewhat unclear. I actually went back and forth several times with the Dean. He seemed quite enthusiastic when he saw my competing offers, but then randomly wrote back a few minutes later to say they couldn't alter their original offer (which was nothing). He did say to try back later, but in the meantime I can't rightly consider UCLA at sticker when I've got better offers on the table. I was just curious when all your negotiations took place, and over what period of time. At the end of the day, I'm sure your numbers are better than mine anyway.

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:08 am

Glasseyes wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:Sorry to interject in the current conversation, but just wanted to offer my experience regarding scholarships in case it helps anyone.

Accepted back in late November, but did not get any scholarship money. This month I submitted offers I had from peer schools, and now I have a $75,000 offer from UCLA. Granted this might be an atypical outcome since my numbers probably should have warranted money in the first place according to mylsn.info (168/3.6). I guess they didn't feel like they needed to offer me right away since I had expressed a lot of interest in attending. Who knows.

Point is, don't be afraid to ask for money!


I'm curious what your scholly timeline was like?

Oddly enough, I did exactly this a few weeks ago - shared offers from peer and higher ranked schools... and literally got nothing. I got the impression it may have been a case of timing, as I was told to inquire again later, but it's disheartening.


I recommend sending an email directly to the Dean and/or Director of Admissions as opposed to the general Admissions Office inbox. That should decrease the chance of your message getting lost in all of the hustle and bustle. After establishing contact with the right people, I provided my current offers, and about a week or two later they got back to me with their offer.


My bad, I made that somewhat unclear. I actually went back and forth several times with the Dean. He seemed quite enthusiastic when he saw my competing offers, but then randomly wrote back a few minutes later to say they couldn't alter their original offer (which was nothing). He did say to try back later, but in the meantime I can't rightly consider UCLA at sticker when I've got better offers on the table. I was just curious when all your negotiations took place, and over what period of time. At the end of the day, I'm sure your numbers are better than mine anyway.


Interesting. My numbers are listed in my profile, so that's up to you to decide. Wait a little as he suggested, then strike up the conversation again and hope for the best, in my opinion the UCLA people are great and should be reasonable if they're presented with the right competing offers and you negotiate well.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Glasseyes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:00 am

Yea All Right wrote:Interesting. My numbers are listed in my profile, so that's up to you to decide. Wait a little as he suggested, then strike up the conversation again and hope for the best, in my opinion the UCLA people are great and should be reasonable if they're presented with the right competing offers and you negotiate well.


Yeah, that's the plan. I've not written them off yet. I've enjoyed dealing with them on everything else up til this point, and I'm hopeful they'll give a little ground.

My numbers are actually pretty close to yours, just a smidge under.

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:11 am

Glasseyes wrote:Yeah, that's the plan. I've not written them off yet. I've enjoyed dealing with them on everything else up til this point, and I'm hopeful they'll give a little ground.

My numbers are actually pretty close to yours, just a smidge under.


Wishing you the best of luck!

User avatar
Dekal2009
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Dekal2009 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am

Checking in!

Excited about LA this fall

User avatar
toshiroh
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby toshiroh » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 am

did anyone get their provisional Fin Aid? I'm confused by this.

winterorange
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby winterorange » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 am

toshiroh wrote:did anyone get their provisional Fin Aid? I'm confused by this.

Yeah, I received that as well, and it didn't mention scholarships--are they supposed to be contained in the ePAL, or is that a separate thing?

calmenda
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby calmenda » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

Quick question: how much is the first deposit at UCLA? I was recently accepted and I am out of town so won't receive the official letter for another week or so. Also - when is it due? Thank you.

User avatar
ohhdear
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby ohhdear » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 am

calmenda wrote:Quick question: how much is the first deposit at UCLA? I was recently accepted and I am out of town so won't receive the official letter for another week or so. Also - when is it due? Thank you.


$500 and it's due on April 21st.

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:37 pm

Withdrawn. Enjoy that sunshine you guys! :D

User avatar
Slytherpuff
Posts: 2343
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:16 pm

I'm going to withdraw later this month, but if anyone is committing to UCLA and wants to be added to the original post, PM me!

lakers180
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby lakers180 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:14 am

.
Last edited by lakers180 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calmenda
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby calmenda » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:45 am

I'll be there this weekend.

"The cost of transportation from the airport to Hotel Palomar (and vice versa) will be reimbursed by UCLA Law with applicable receipts"

Just take a cab and keep the receipt. They'll cover it.

stevie1138
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Re: UCLA Class of 2017

Postby stevie1138 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:42 pm

So I just finally decided on UCLA and am about to submit my deposit. I've also decided I want to live in Weyburn next year. I'm guessing there will be a bunch of people here who will also. Are you guys going to try and find a roommate before hand or go with the random matching?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest