Chicago Law Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Samsing
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Samsing » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:54 am

HarvardHopeful wrote:Is anyone thinking about living in the Shoreland?

If I end up at UChicago I will be living at the Shoreland. I spoke to several others at ASW who said they were seriously considering the Shoreland. I think there will be enough law students to not really miss out on the Regents social scene. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more people started moving to the Shoreland since it just recently opened.

User avatar
applelover
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby applelover » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Just so you all know, Shoreland will only hold an apartment for 60 days after you apply.

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby truckstop » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Does anyone know if you can double deposit at Chicago and another school (at least until the date in mid-May where they make you pick one and withdraw from the others)? Or is Chicago one of the schools that makes you withdraw from everywhere else when you deposit there?

I want to try to negotiate my scholarship, but I don't know if I'll hear back with enough time to actually make a decision. Especially since I'm trying to see if NYU will increase their offer before I send stuff to Chicago (and Chicago won't even negotiate until the last week of April, right?).

Thanks!

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:43 pm

truckstop wrote:Does anyone know if you can double deposit at Chicago and another school (at least until the date in mid-May where they make you pick one and withdraw from the others)? Or is Chicago one of the schools that makes you withdraw from everywhere else when you deposit there?

I want to try to negotiate my scholarship, but I don't know if I'll hear back with enough time to actually make a decision. Especially since I'm trying to see if NYU will increase their offer before I send stuff to Chicago (and Chicago won't even negotiate until the last week of April, right?).

Thanks!


The language on the commitment form is not explicit about whether you have to withdraw from other schools you've been accepted to, but it does explicitly say that you are not allowed to double-deposit.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm

midwest17 wrote:
truckstop wrote:Does anyone know if you can double deposit at Chicago and another school (at least until the date in mid-May where they make you pick one and withdraw from the others)? Or is Chicago one of the schools that makes you withdraw from everywhere else when you deposit there?

I want to try to negotiate my scholarship, but I don't know if I'll hear back with enough time to actually make a decision. Especially since I'm trying to see if NYU will increase their offer before I send stuff to Chicago (and Chicago won't even negotiate until the last week of April, right?).

Thanks!


The language on the commitment form is not explicit about whether you have to withdraw from other schools you've been accepted to, but it does explicitly say that you are not allowed to double-deposit.

Well, yes, but it's not binding or anything.

University of Chicago wrote:The Law School asks that applicants only have one deposit or letter of intent to enroll at a law school unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the applicant from making a decision among outstanding offers of admission. When you reserve a seat in the Class of 2017, we request that you withdraw any deposits or commitments to attend any other law school. You are not required to remove your name from waitlists at other law schools. Please do not check this option unless you are fully committed to attending the University of Chicago Law School at this time.

They request it, and they seem more hardline about withdrawing than a lot of other schools, but you can still double-deposit. Just be quiet about it.

The real trouble comes if you haven't decided and withdrawn by the second deadline. That's when they will consider rescinding.

Ultimately, I'd say avoid double-depositing if you can. I wouldn't risk it.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm pretty sure schools can't ask not to double deposit at other schools until June or sometime thereabouts. There's an ABA rule about it. I'm too lazy to look it up. If you're still unsure about money I would consider double depositing but I think it's more indicative that you applied later than you should have this cycle. You should consider reapplying next year. You might be leaving money on the table.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure schools can't ask not to double deposit at other schools until June or sometime thereabouts. There's an ABA rule about it. I'm too lazy to look it up. If you're still unsure about money I would consider double depositing but I think it's more indicative that you applied later than you should have this cycle. You should consider reapplying next year. You might be leaving money on the table.


My recollection is that the ABA rule is just about when they're allowed to start sharing data on who's deposited, but I may be wrong about that. And I guess if they can't share the data until then there's really no way they can catch you.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure schools can't ask not to double deposit at other schools until June or sometime thereabouts. There's an ABA rule about it. I'm too lazy to look it up. If you're still unsure about money I would consider double depositing but I think it's more indicative that you applied later than you should have this cycle. You should consider reapplying next year. You might be leaving money on the table.


My recollection is that the ABA rule is just about when they're allowed to start sharing data on who's deposited, but I may be wrong about that. And I guess if they can't share the data until then there's really no way they can catch you.


That's exactly the reason why you can double deposit. And only after they start sharing will they nicely request that you make your choice. So it will buy you time. But if you're waiting until june for financial aid money then you need to reapply next year. That's the larger point. You're probably not getting as much as you could.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby 20141023 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sojourner2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Sojourner2 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
LSAC: Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission

It looks like they won't find out until May 15th anyway, so as long as you make a decision by then, I doubt they'll even know even if it is a problem (which it shouldn't be).


I'm curious why someone would want to wait this long to decide, unless there are non-monetary factors at play. I'm not sure a school would negotiate with you past their deposit deadline, and the latest deposit deadline I've heard of is May 1 (Columbia). Are there other schools that are later than that? If not, what sorts of advantages are there to waiting longer? (Again, unless non-monetary factors are at play, in which case I could understand there could be any number of reasons.)

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:I'm curious why someone would want to wait this long to decide, unless there are non-monetary factors at play. I'm not sure a school would negotiate with you past their deposit deadline, and the latest deposit deadline I've heard of is May 1 (Columbia). Are there other schools that are later than that? If not, what sorts of advantages are there to waiting longer? (Again, unless non-monetary factors are at play, in which case I could understand there could be any number of reasons.)


Why wouldn't schools negotiate past the deposit deadline? You can always break the deposit, and presumably some people they offered money to didn't deposit, which might free up some money.

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby truckstop » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure schools can't ask not to double deposit at other schools until June or sometime thereabouts. There's an ABA rule about it. I'm too lazy to look it up. If you're still unsure about money I would consider double depositing but I think it's more indicative that you applied later than you should have this cycle. You should consider reapplying next year. You might be leaving money on the table.


I actually applied in October, so that's not true. I just had one school's offer change very recently (without my negotiating) and Columbia also sent their financial aid package pretty recently. And one school still hasn't even sent me their initial financial aid package. I guess they'll all just have to tell me their decisions on scholarship negotiation before their respective deadlines?

truckstop
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby truckstop » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:42 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:
LSAC: Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices wrote:After April 1, except under binding early decision plans, every applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on May 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission

It looks like they won't find out until May 15th anyway, so as long as you make a decision by then, I doubt they'll even know even if it is a problem (which it shouldn't be).


Thanks for your help!

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:58 pm

truckstop wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:I'm pretty sure schools can't ask not to double deposit at other schools until June or sometime thereabouts. There's an ABA rule about it. I'm too lazy to look it up. If you're still unsure about money I would consider double depositing but I think it's more indicative that you applied later than you should have this cycle. You should consider reapplying next year. You might be leaving money on the table.


I actually applied in October, so that's not true. I just had one school's offer change very recently (without my negotiating) and Columbia also sent their financial aid package pretty recently. And one school still hasn't even sent me their initial financial aid package. I guess they'll all just have to tell me their decisions on scholarship negotiation before their respective deadlines?


I'm not saying it's a universal rule so that is why I suggested double depositing. But there are other people I've talked to ITT who need to apply next year. You know who you are.

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:24 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Sojourner2 wrote:I'm curious why someone would want to wait this long to decide, unless there are non-monetary factors at play. I'm not sure a school would negotiate with you past their deposit deadline, and the latest deposit deadline I've heard of is May 1 (Columbia). Are there other schools that are later than that? If not, what sorts of advantages are there to waiting longer? (Again, unless non-monetary factors are at play, in which case I could understand there could be any number of reasons.)


Why wouldn't schools negotiate past the deposit deadline? You can always break the deposit, and presumably some people they offered money to didn't deposit, which might free up some money.


It definitely happens. Jaqen and I can both vouch for scholarships being offered well past the deadline to waitlist admits last cycle.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 am

Anyone heard back about negotiations?

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 am

They do the reviews from April 21st-25th I think

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:Anyone heard back about negotiations?

I've heard back. Marginal increase. Northwestern it is.

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

When did you appeal? I thought I recalled reading that they did all appeals from the 21st-25th, but I guess not.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:52 pm

drawstring wrote:When did you appeal? I thought I recalled reading that they did all appeals from the 21st-25th, but I guess not.

I appealed in late March. I had early deadlines for competing offers, so I think they expedited my review.

User avatar
Ryan11212
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Ryan11212 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Hey everyone,
Don't post on TLS much, but I'm in sort of a tough spot, and I could use some advice/direction. I was planning on depositing at Chi until I got offered a Levy (full tuition) at Penn yesterday. Chi didn't give me much in terms of merit $, but I still really liked it/thought I was worth the money. I'm trying to negotiate now, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a decision by the Penn deadline. How much more would you be willing to pay for Chicago vs Penn?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 pm

Ryan11212 wrote:Hey everyone,
Don't post on TLS much, but I'm in sort of a tough spot, and I could use some advice/direction. I was planning on depositing at Chi until I got offered a Levy (full tuition) at Penn yesterday. Chi didn't give me much in terms of merit $, but I still really liked it/thought I was worth the money. I'm trying to negotiate now, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a decision by the Penn deadline. How much more would you be willing to pay for Chicago vs Penn?


Depends on your goals. I would negotiate with Chicago right now, make it very clear about your deadline, and hopefully they will get back to you in time.

They're obviously not likely to match it (heh) but they might make it a competitive option for you.
I think Chicago has a goal to meet deadlines when possible.

ETA: My point is, it would be nice if you could make a decision after knowing the true $$ situation.

User avatar
kershka
Posts: 630
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby kershka » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Checking out! I officially sent in my withdrawal a couple of days ago. Good luck to all of you dealing with scholarship negotiations; there's a least one more Ruby on the table and I hope it goes to one of my fellow TLSers! It was fantastic meeting all of you and good luck with law school whether you wind up at UChi or elsewhere.

LSAT9986
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby LSAT9986 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Checking out as well. $0.00 scholarship here!

User avatar
drawstring
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby drawstring » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 pm

kershka wrote:Checking out! I officially sent in my withdrawal a couple of days ago. Good luck to all of you dealing with scholarship negotiations; there's a least one more Ruby on the table and I hope it goes to one of my fellow TLSers! It was fantastic meeting all of you and good luck with law school whether you wind up at UChi or elsewhere.


Headed to Harvard?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests