Chicago Law Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Very disappointed in my scholly. PM me if you want to compare offers with stats. I want to hear from people who are happy AND unhappy with package. Thanks.

User avatar
Ryan11212
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Ryan11212 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Just to confirm, none of the folks who got scholarship info were from this week's acceptances, right?

User avatar
KatyMarie
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby KatyMarie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 pm

paglababa wrote:Very disappointed in my scholly. PM me if you want to compare offers with stats. I want to hear from people who are happy AND unhappy with package. Thanks.


. Edit: Whoops. Thought I was in PM mode :?
Last edited by KatyMarie on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Howl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:33 pm

Wait, does Chicago only do merit-based scholarships? If they do need-based, I feel like knowing stats wouldn't be of much use without knowing the financial situation of the applicant.

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2068
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Howl wrote:Wait, does Chicago only do merit-based scholarships? If they do need-based, I feel like knowing stats wouldn't be of much use without knowing the financial situation of the applicant.


They consider need, which is why you have 2 weeks to submit your need-based aid info for acceptances following feb 15(?)

User avatar
dubster101
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby dubster101 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:36 pm

Howl wrote:Wait, does Chicago only do merit-based scholarships? If they do need-based, I feel like knowing stats wouldn't be of much use without knowing the financial situation of the applicant.


Pretty sure the grants are mostly merit based. IIRC, need based-aid is added in later/separately (once you complete NeedAccess/FAFSA, etc.).

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Howl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Now I'm confused. I thought the scholarship e-mail we got today was considerate of financial need - I'd submitted my Needaccess/FAFSA forms in the two weeks after my admittance on 2/25.

User avatar
dubster101
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby dubster101 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:54 pm

Howl wrote:Now I'm confused. I thought the scholarship e-mail we got today was considerate of financial need - I'd submitted my Needaccess/FAFSA forms in the two weeks after my admittance on 2/25.


I haven't submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess, so mine definitely doesn't factor in need. Guess it depends on whether you submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess beforehand.

User avatar
Howl
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:11 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Howl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:56 pm

dubster101 wrote:
Howl wrote:Now I'm confused. I thought the scholarship e-mail we got today was considerate of financial need - I'd submitted my Needaccess/FAFSA forms in the two weeks after my admittance on 2/25.


I haven't submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess, so mine definitely doesn't factor in need. Guess it depends on whether you submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess beforehand.


I should think so, because my scholarship is disproportionately larger than what people with similar stats have received, as far as I can see on lsn. Feel free to pm if curious.

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Kimikho » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Howl wrote:
dubster101 wrote:
Howl wrote:Now I'm confused. I thought the scholarship e-mail we got today was considerate of financial need - I'd submitted my Needaccess/FAFSA forms in the two weeks after my admittance on 2/25.


I haven't submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess, so mine definitely doesn't factor in need. Guess it depends on whether you submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess beforehand.


I should think so, because my scholarship is disproportionately larger than what people with similar stats have received, as far as I can see on lsn. Feel free to pm if curious.


Unless I filled out FAFSA/NeedAccess wrong, I can assure everyone that this does not take financial need (or lack thereof) into account.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Apparently last year they had an official scholarship appeal form that you filled out. Have the people from the earlier scholly wave received anything like that?

User avatar
Let It Roll
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Let It Roll » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:47 pm

cotiger wrote:Apparently last year they had an official scholarship appeal form that you filled out. Have the people from the earlier scholly wave received anything like that?


You can find the form once you log on as an admitted student. I saw it on there before.

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Let It Roll wrote:
cotiger wrote:Apparently last year they had an official scholarship appeal form that you filled out. Have the people from the earlier scholly wave received anything like that?


You can find the form once you log on as an admitted student. I saw it on there before.


Sweet, thanks

User avatar
rsklnkv515
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:08 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby rsklnkv515 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Is consensus that only HYS acceptance, CN offer or lower T14 full-ride will compel Chicago to raise their offer? Will a Vandy / UCLA full ride do anything? Thanks for the insight and congrats to all those who got schollys today

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:30 pm

Got my offer today too. A little lower than I'd hoped. Which of these offers would you use as leverage: full ride at lower T14 or half ride at T10?

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:04 am

delete
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
FuriousDuck
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby FuriousDuck » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:55 am

...
Last edited by FuriousDuck on Tue May 13, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Trig
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Trig » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am

Howl wrote:
dubster101 wrote:
Howl wrote:Now I'm confused. I thought the scholarship e-mail we got today was considerate of financial need - I'd submitted my Needaccess/FAFSA forms in the two weeks after my admittance on 2/25.


I haven't submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess, so mine definitely doesn't factor in need. Guess it depends on whether you submitted the FAFSA/NeedAccess beforehand.


I should think so, because my scholarship is disproportionately larger than what people with similar stats have received, as far as I can see on lsn. Feel free to pm if curious.


+1

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:04 pm

What's the dress code for the lambs club this Wed in NYC? It looks like a fancy place but not so fancy that a jacket&tie is necessary. Business casual it is?

User avatar
bbkk
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby bbkk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am

paglababa wrote:What's the dress code for the lambs club this Wed in NYC? It looks like a fancy place but not so fancy that a jacket&tie is necessary. Business casual it is?


Business casual sounds good to me. :wink:

omzster67
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby omzster67 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:09 pm

No scholarship here!!! Hopefully I win my tournament bracket so I can get some cash

gottago
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby gottago » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:38 pm

deleted
Last edited by gottago on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MoMettaMonk
Posts: 513
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby MoMettaMonk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:49 pm

gottago wrote:any of you peeps who were disappointed in your aid but still going to Lambs Club or ASW or any other events:

would it be totally weird to withdraw the day after Lambs Club or the day after ASW?

for me the decision is coming down to 1 of 2 HYS schools and Chi didn't give me the ruby and someone above said it's hard to negotiate from 20-30k/yr to a freaking Ruby even with HYS under your belt. that said, withdrawing the day after makes it seem as though I never seriously considered them, which I would have if I had gotten the Ruby.

or are people actually trying to get Rubys?


The first Ruby deadline is April 15. I imagine that they'll start another round of Ruby offers once some people from the original batches turn it down, so if you can wait until a few days after that to try and negotiate you might have better luck.

User avatar
jingosaur
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:33 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby jingosaur » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:44 pm

Just withdrew from Chicago so no more posting ITT for me. I hope all of you have an amazing time at Chicago Law!!!

anagram
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby anagram » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Just wondering,

What does $, $$, and $$$ correspond to in terms of scholarship offers, amount-wise?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest