Chicago Law Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
somuchwaiting
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby somuchwaiting » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:16 pm

midwest17 wrote:
somuchwaiting wrote:
2014 wrote:Overall I think the pros outweighed the cons, but it really comes down to subjective factors. How much do you value the social benefits and the convenience vs how much you value amenities and responsive/adequate management. It can go either way for sure, I just didn't want it to seem like everyone hates Regents.


This may have already been mentioned, but what kind of rates can law students expect at Regents?


From the website, can't speak to accuracy:

Studio (550 - 650 Sq. Ft.)
$1,195 - $1,250

One Bedroom (715 - 750 Sq. Ft.)
$1,265 - $1,525

Two Bed / Two Bath (1,095 - 1,140 SF)
$1,575 - $1,895

Three Bed / Two Bath (1,255 Sq. Ft.)
$2,095 - $2,385

Four Bed / Four Bath (2,120 Sq. Ft.)
$2,200


Thanks!

User avatar
flippacious
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby flippacious » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm

Question for Regents folks: how much do the washing machines / dryers cost per load? Trying to figure out budget comparisons for buildings with laundry facilities vs. in-unit machines. Also, how much do you typically pay for utilities?

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey folks, congrats to everyone who got in recently. If you're not sure about coming to ASW, you definitely should go. There is a ton of free booze and free food, and it is really the best opportunity for you to get a feel of the law school, the neighborhood, and the city if you're unfamiliar.

On another note, if anyone is bringing a spouse or kids with them next year, I am happy to answer any questions I can about schools, job resources, etc. Plus ASW will have some events geared towards helping with that transition as well.

See you in April! Hopefully we have above-freezing temperatures by then

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby 2014 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:41 pm

flippacious wrote:Question for Regents folks: how much do the washing machines / dryers cost per load? Trying to figure out budget comparisons for buildings with laundry facilities vs. in-unit machines. Also, how much do you typically pay for utilities?

It is or was like $3.25 combined for washing/drying. The machines are fairly standard sized and they have an electronic card thing so you don't have to deal w/ quarters.

I think my utilities last year for a 2 br tended to be ~60-70 a month. My rent was on the lower end of the website range btw but within it.

Canof09
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Canof09 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:25 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Hey folks, congrats to everyone who got in recently. If you're not sure about coming to ASW, you definitely should go. There is a ton of free booze and free food, and it is really the best opportunity for you to get a feel of the law school, the neighborhood, and the city if you're unfamiliar.

On another note, if anyone is bringing a spouse or kids with them next year, I am happy to answer any questions I can about schools, job resources, etc. Plus ASW will have some events geared towards helping with that transition as well.

See you in April! Hopefully we have above-freezing temperatures by then



I went to ASW last year, and it was really freaking fun. Lots of booze and deep dish pizza. Also the law school will pay up to $200 of your transportation. No reason not to go.

User avatar
paglababa
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:32 pm

People with Rubies - did you have to submit your financial info first? Are there any full rides besides Ruby? Non named schollys?

User avatar
Sourrudedude
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Sourrudedude » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm

paglababa wrote:People with Rubies - did you have to submit your financial info first? Are there any full rides besides Ruby? Non named schollys?

I got the ruby before submitting need access.

User avatar
oxie
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby oxie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:15 pm

paglababa wrote:People with Rubies - did you have to submit your financial info first? Are there any full rides besides Ruby? Non named schollys?

I didn't have to submit financial info first.

As far as other scholarships go, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective ... holarships

My reading of the recent ABA 509 reports is that there are non-named scholarships, but probably not much other than the Ruby for full-tuition...
2012-2013 school year: (LinkRemoved) 37 full+, 2 full, 44 half-to-full, 309 less than half
2011-2012 school year (start of the Ruby): (LinkRemoved) 4 full+, 4 full, 36 half-to-full, 312 less than half
2010-2011 school year: (LinkRemoved) 0 full+, 2 full, 26 half-to-full, 266 less than half
2009-2010 school year: (LinkRemoved) 0 full+, 5 full, 39 half-to-full, 289 less than half

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:20 pm

paglababa wrote:People with Rubies - did you have to submit your financial info first? Are there any full rides besides Ruby? Non named schollys?


There is the Cafaro scholarship which is full ride based on need+merit. I believe they offer about 4

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

I've gotten lots of PM about apartment stuff, so I just wanted to add this publicly: housing that's not either Regents or University graduate housing is going to be hit and miss. Things will sound good in advertisements and look good in pictures that aren't actually that great. If you're going to rent outside of the default options you really need to spend a few days in Hyde Park actually looking at apartments. That's much less necessary with Regents and graduate housing where you can expect a more uniform experience and rely on what you hear from the large number of past students who have chosen those options.

20141023
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby 20141023 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:47 pm

.
Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instinctive
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Instinctive » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 pm

Checking in. Not much action from me until scholly news.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:59 pm

midwest17 wrote:I've gotten lots of PM about apartment stuff, so I just wanted to add this publicly: housing that's not either Regents or University graduate housing is going to be hit and miss. Things will sound good in advertisements and look good in pictures that aren't actually that great. If you're going to rent outside of the default options you really need to spend a few days in Hyde Park actually looking at apartments. That's much less necessary with Regents and graduate housing where you can expect a more uniform experience and rely on what you hear from the large number of past students who have chosen those options.


I recommend really talking to current students about how they feel about where they chose to live during ASW. Even within graduate student housing there's a lot of variation (I have a friend who loves her building and also know somebody who hated his so much he moved out immediately at the beginning of the school year). I know 1Ls who live in the Del Prado, the Algonquin, Hyde Park Tower, East Park Tower, Scholar's Corner, the Versailles (don't pick this one lol), all sorts of other buildings within Hyde Park that I don't remember/know the name of, and even the South Loop and the West Loop.

It can be tempting to go with Regents because it seems like such an easy default choice, but in my opinion with some research and diligence you can find a place more suited to your desires (or at least feel better about choosing Regents if that's what you ultimately decide on).

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Anyone know the dress code for the Day in the Life event tomorrow?

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby WhiteyCakes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 pm

Leo wrote:Anyone know the dress code for the Day in the Life event tomorrow?


No formal dress code, just don't look like a slob. I wore khakis and a button down for ASW last year, but plenty of people were in jeans too.

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Instinctive wrote:Checking in. Not much action from me until scholly news.


+1

I know it won't make the emails come any sooner, but do we have a guesstimate of when scholarship offers might be sent? I want to get plans made for ASW (and really would like to go), but I can't justify spending the money on it and taking time off work unless it's a serious option.

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Optimist Prime wrote:
Instinctive wrote:Checking in. Not much action from me until scholly news.


+1

I know it won't make the emails come any sooner, but do we have a guesstimate of when scholarship offers might be sent? I want to get plans made for ASW (and really would like to go), but I can't justify spending the money on it and taking time off work unless it's a serious option.


http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/financialaid/faq wrote:When will I receive my Financial Aid Package?
We will begin to release awards in early March to those students having completed their forms on time. Please note that we do not begin to pull forms until after the deadline so we will not be able to confirm receipt before then. However, if you are admitted later in the season, you will receive your award approximately a month after your admission.

Canof09
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Canof09 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:45 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:
Instinctive wrote:Checking in. Not much action from me until scholly news.


+1

I know it won't make the emails come any sooner, but do we have a guesstimate of when scholarship offers might be sent? I want to get plans made for ASW (and really would like to go), but I can't justify spending the money on it and taking time off work unless it's a serious option.


http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/financialaid/faq wrote:When will I receive my Financial Aid Package?
We will begin to release awards in early March to those students having completed their forms on time. Please note that we do not begin to pull forms until after the deadline so we will not be able to confirm receipt before then. However, if you are admitted later in the season, you will receive your award approximately a month after your admission.



I just checked my email inbox from last year, and I received my initial scholarship offer on March 15th. I negotiated and got my final offer on April 24th. Hope this helps.

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Canof09 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Optimist Prime wrote:
Instinctive wrote:Checking in. Not much action from me until scholly news.


+1

I know it won't make the emails come any sooner, but do we have a guesstimate of when scholarship offers might be sent? I want to get plans made for ASW (and really would like to go), but I can't justify spending the money on it and taking time off work unless it's a serious option.


http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/financialaid/faq wrote:When will I receive my Financial Aid Package?
We will begin to release awards in early March to those students having completed their forms on time. Please note that we do not begin to pull forms until after the deadline so we will not be able to confirm receipt before then. However, if you are admitted later in the season, you will receive your award approximately a month after your admission.



I just checked my email inbox from last year, and I received my initial scholarship offer on March 15th. I negotiated and got my final offer on April 24th. Hope this helps.


Thanks, but I'm not sure I can expect as timely an offer as Francis Underwood. And for the record I meant merit only, I won't be filling out finaid forms #middleclass #parentshavearetirementaccount

User avatar
Ricky-Bobby
Posts: 1151
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:12 pm

Canof09 wrote:I just checked my email inbox from last year, and I received my initial scholarship offer on March 15th. I negotiated and got my final offer on April 24th. Hope this helps.

That does help, thank-you.

Optimist Prime wrote:Thanks, but I'm not sure I can expect as timely an offer as Francis Underwood. And for the record I meant merit only, I won't be filling out finaid forms #middleclass #parentshavearetirementaccount

It doesn't matter. Aside from the Rubies, no scholarships are awarded until after the form deadline.

User avatar
Optimist Prime
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Optimist Prime » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Canof09 wrote:I just checked my email inbox from last year, and I received my initial scholarship offer on March 15th. I negotiated and got my final offer on April 24th. Hope this helps.

That does help, thank-you.

Optimist Prime wrote:Thanks, but I'm not sure I can expect as timely an offer as Francis Underwood. And for the record I meant merit only, I won't be filling out finaid forms #middleclass #parentshavearetirementaccount

It doesn't matter. Aside from the Rubies, no scholarships are awarded until after the form deadline.


Ah, gotcha. Thanks Ricky-Bobby. Shake & Bake bro.

Canof09
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:43 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Canof09 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/financialaid/faq wrote:When will I receive my Financial Aid Package?
We will begin to release awards in early March to those students having completed their forms on time. Please note that we do not begin to pull forms until after the deadline so we will not be able to confirm receipt before then. However, if you are admitted later in the season, you will receive your award approximately a month after your admission.



I just checked my email inbox from last year, and I received my initial scholarship offer on March 15th. I negotiated and got my final offer on April 24th. Hope this helps.


Thanks, but I'm not sure I can expect as timely an offer as Francis Underwood. And for the record I meant merit only, I won't be filling out finaid forms #middleclass #parentshavearetirementaccount


Haha I'm sure you will get your offer soon. My scholarship is merit based.

qweds
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby qweds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:03 pm

So in order to be considered for scholarships (both merit- and need-based), all we have to do is to submit need access, right?

Rt887
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby Rt887 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:22 pm

In the admission email that the1/21 wave received it said that scholarships would start to be issued by the end of February. Did it say the same in the emails the new admits received? Or is early march the new target date?

User avatar
t-14orbust
Posts: 2064
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Postby t-14orbust » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Rt887 wrote:In the admission email that the1/21 wave received it said that scholarships would start to be issued by the end of February. Did it say the same in the emails the new admits received? Or is early march the new target date?


It said for those accepted after feb1 it would take up to a month or something like that




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest