Chicago Law Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)

Platinum

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Post by 2014 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am

dubster101 wrote:Do you need to fill out the NeedAccess form to get your financial aid/grant offer? Or is it purely based on merit?
They claim it's based on need/merit but you don't need to fill that out to get an offer and the offers correlate pretty damn highly with GPA/LSAT so it's pretty unlikely need matters except in the most extreme cases perhaps.

PearlPoet

New

Post by PearlPoet » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm

Friends,

I'm headed to Chicago in the fall, and I am just now beginning to research apartments. Are there any general recommendations or helpful resources that folks know about?

I have a wife who will be staying at home with our infant son, so I am definitely looking for someplace safe and comfortable. We are most likely looking for a 2 bedroom 1 bath, and, if possible, we would like to keep our total rent (base rent + utilities + parking fees) under 1600.

The only building I have looked into much already is Regent's Park. It is a bit above our price range, and the talk of noisy renovations makes me nervous since my wife will be home with the baby a good bit.

Thank you in advance for your help!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 pm

PearlPoet wrote:Friends,

I'm headed to Chicago in the fall, and I am just now beginning to research apartments. Are there any general recommendations or helpful resources that folks know about?

I have a wife who will be staying at home with our infant son, so I am definitely looking for someplace safe and comfortable. We are most likely looking for a 2 bedroom 1 bath, and, if possible, we would like to keep our total rent (base rent + utilities + parking fees) under 1600.

The only building I have looked into much already is Regent's Park. It is a bit above our price range, and the talk of noisy renovations makes me nervous since my wife will be home with the baby a good bit.

PM'd

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:39 pm

I would look into TLC managment - they've got a number of great buildings that are decently priced. I've lived in one for the past two years and it's the best I've lived in in six years of Hyde Park residence.

The UChicago craigslist equivalent is marketplace.uchicago.edu (and to a lesser degree, apartments.uchicago.edu) - independent brokers will post places and it's a very mixed bag. During undergrad I lived in a super nice condo I found on there, but had to look at 30 places ranging from decent to crappy before I found it.

There's also McKey and Poague, which is on the cheaper end but generally has good places. They are very old school and will drive you around to look at apartments; not even sure they have a website.

I'm hesitant to recommend MAC property management even though they're by far the biggest landlord in the area. They had a very bad reputation among undergrads for not repairing places, trying to take peoples' deposits, or denying they received rent. I've heard they've improved and a number of people at the law school live in the Shoreland, East Park Tower, or the Del Prado. I get the sense they have a separate customer service system for their nice buildings, but their nice buildings are even more expensive than regents.

PM me if you'd like any more specific help - x location vs y location, etc.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

I would look into TLC managment - they've got a number of great buildings that are decently priced. I've lived in one for the past two years and it's the best I've lived in in six years of Hyde Park residence.

The UChicago craigslist equivalent is marketplace.uchicago.edu (and to a lesser degree, apartments.uchicago.edu) - independent brokers will post places and it's a very mixed bag. During undergrad I lived in a super nice condo I found on there, but had to look at 30 places ranging from decent to crappy before I found it.

There's also McKey and Poague, which is on the cheaper end but generally has good places. They are very old school and will drive you around to look at apartments; not even sure they have a website.

I'm hesitant to recommend MAC property management even though they're by far the biggest landlord in the area. They had a very bad reputation among undergrads for not repairing places, trying to take peoples' deposits, or denying they received rent. I've heard they've improved and a number of people at the law school live in the Shoreland, East Park Tower, or the Del Prado. I get the sense they have a separate customer service system for their nice buildings, but their nice buildings are even more expensive than regents.

PM me if you'd like any more specific help - x location vs y location, etc.
McKey and Poague does have a website, but it's not much: http://www.mandpoffice.com/ :)

I'd agree with most of this advice - I live in an M&P building and really like it, but it's definitely on the older side. I didn't have great experiences with the TLC buildings I looked at: most of them seemed to have a permanent marijuana odor, and while the rooms were in good repair the hallways and other common areas were dingy and not well repaired. But I was looking at their cheaper apartments, so the higher end ones might be nicer.

The best advice I have is to find a bunch of places you're interested in and then actually come to Chicago and look at as many as you can in the span of 2-3 days. The quality is highly variable, and you won't always get a good sense of it based on price/posted pictures.

I've never signed a September lease here, but my guess is that you want to be looking in June-July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:19 pm

midwest17 wrote: McKey and Poague does have a website, but it's not much: http://www.mandpoffice.com/ :)

I'd agree with most of this advice - I live in an M&P building and really like it, but it's definitely on the older side. I didn't have great experiences with the TLC buildings I looked at: most of them seemed to have a permanent marijuana odor, and while the rooms were in good repair the hallways and other common areas were dingy and not well repaired. But I was looking at their cheaper apartments, so the higher end ones might be nicer.

The best advice I have is to find a bunch of places you're interested in and then actually come to Chicago and look at as many as you can in the span of 2-3 days. The quality is highly variable, and you won't always get a good sense of it based on price/posted pictures.

I've never signed a September lease here, but my guess is that you want to be looking in June-July.
Yea, that's solid. Hyde Park apartments are of really variable quality - things that look great in pictures don't always translate. That's just repeating what you're saying, I suppose.

re:TLC, the buildings are run semi-independently and thus also vary quite a bit. Some didn't even call me back when I was looking. But the others were really great (Scholar's, Mayfair, Madison Park, in order from cheapest to most expensive), and I've had a really good experience in terms of them being chill about slightly-delayed rent/quick maintenance/general building upkeep/etc.

My lease is September-August, and there probably wasn't quite as much on the market at that time, but it's definitely the best time in terms of matching up with the school year. I've had July-June and August-July before, and it's lead to stupid situations where you have to sublet or store your stuff for 2-3mos before moving into your next place.

Pilking76

New

Post by Pilking76 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Does anyone plan on attending any of the Coast to Coast events? I'm looking at the NY one at the Lamb's Club and the place is really expensive (way out of my budget), does anyone know how food and drink work at these things?

caito

New

Post by caito » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:03 am

PM'd as well.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 am

Pilking76 wrote:Does anyone plan on attending any of the Coast to Coast events? I'm looking at the NY one at the Lamb's Club and the place is really expensive (way out of my budget), does anyone know how food and drink work at these things?
You won't have to pay for anything! They are wooing you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 pm

Any fin aid info out yet?

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Leo wrote:I have it on good authority that scholarship offers will start going out on 3/7 for EDs and those admitted in the 1/25 wave, 3/17 for those admitted in the 2/21 wave.

truckstop

New

Post by truckstop » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:39 pm

I received an email on Friday evening with financial aid information. I was in the first wave of acceptances (RD). You can PM me if you want details.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Has anyone been accepted to the Doctoroff Program yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:50 pm

Leo wrote:Has anyone been accepted to the Doctoroff Program yet?
No, decisions aren't coming out until a week or so before ASW. Probably first week of April.

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Just RSVP'd for ASW!

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Anybody started the negotiation process with aid yet?

metroidbum

Silver

Post by metroidbum » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:50 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:Anybody started the negotiation process with aid yet?
I too, am curious as to when to begin this process.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rsklnkv515

New

Post by rsklnkv515 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:13 am

Had a great time meeting some of you (maybe?) at the "coast to coast" events - you guys are great and made me very excited about UChicago!

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:13 am

rsklnkv515 wrote:Had a great time meeting some of you (maybe?) at the "coast to coast" events - you guys are great and made me very excited about UChicago!
i like ur handle

rsklnkv515

New

Post by rsklnkv515 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:27 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
rsklnkv515 wrote:Had a great time meeting some of you (maybe?) at the "coast to coast" events - you guys are great and made me very excited about UChicago!
i like ur handle
Thanks, Swiper

ColShRo

New

Post by ColShRo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:54 am

Has anyone who was accepted in late February heard back about financial aid?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 am

ColShRo wrote:Has anyone who was accepted in late February heard back about financial aid?
March 17

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 am

Signed up for the ASW! :D Will be there Friday.

applelover

Gold

Post by applelover » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:44 am

scoobers wrote:Signed up for the ASW! :D Will be there Friday.
:) and I finally booked my flight. See you there Scoobers!

KatyMarie

Silver

Post by KatyMarie » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm in beg-mode at work to get Thursday and Friday off. I really want to make it to this whole ASW! Worst case scenario, I take a late flight in Friday night and come back Sunday.

Excited to meet everybody!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”