Chicago Law Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
FinalFour

New

Re: Chicago Law Class of 2017

Post by FinalFour » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 pm

I submitted the entrance counseling for financial aid and the MPN about a week ago and they still have not been marked as received. Is this a normal delay or should I contact someone? The "UCAPP" form was marked as received instantly after I submitted it, for what it's worth.

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:40 pm

FinalFour wrote:I submitted the entrance counseling for financial aid and the MPN about a week ago and they still have not been marked as received. Is this a normal delay or should I contact someone? The "UCAPP" form was marked as received instantly after I submitted it, for what it's worth.
I shot them an email last week. They said the info is updated when SLA actually gets around to your file. So the delay is on Chicago's end, not yours.

FinalFour

New

Post by FinalFour » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:02 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:
FinalFour wrote:I submitted the entrance counseling for financial aid and the MPN about a week ago and they still have not been marked as received. Is this a normal delay or should I contact someone? The "UCAPP" form was marked as received instantly after I submitted it, for what it's worth.
I shot them an email last week. They said the info is updated when SLA actually gets around to your file. So the delay is on Chicago's end, not yours.
Thanks!

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:59 am

The only things that we are supposed to have done for financial aid at this point are complete the FAFSA, UCAPP, introductory loan counseling session thing, and fill out our MPN for Direct Stafford loans, correct?

I have a sinking feeling that I forgot to do something important...

eliminatorjr

Bronze

Post by eliminatorjr » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Canof09 wrote:The only things that we are supposed to have done for financial aid at this point are complete the FAFSA, UCAPP, introductory loan counseling session thing, and fill out our MPN for Direct Stafford loans, correct?

I believe so. The GradPLUS stuff can be completed starting June 15th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:10 pm

eliminatorjr wrote:
Canof09 wrote:The only things that we are supposed to have done for financial aid at this point are complete the FAFSA, UCAPP, introductory loan counseling session thing, and fill out our MPN for Direct Stafford loans, correct?

I believe so. The GradPLUS stuff can be completed starting June 15th.
Whew, just making sure. Thanks!

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:49 pm

Trying to do UCAPP and every time I go to "My Financial Aid" the page won't load. I've tried it on two different computers now and same result.

Anyone have this problem?

c0llegeStUd3nt

New

Post by c0llegeStUd3nt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 pm

c0llegeStUd3nt wrote:Trying to do UCAPP and every time I go to "My Financial Aid" the page won't load. I've tried it on two different computers now and same result.

Anyone have this problem?
scratch that, worked this morning. Apparently the server was just busy yesterday, I'm sure the "June email update" had something to do with it

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Is everybody else still seeing the message that their loan entrance counseling and Stafford DPN app aren't submitted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:55 am

Canof09 wrote:Is everybody else still seeing the message that their loan entrance counseling and Stafford DPN app aren't submitted?
Did you go to studentloans.gov and fill out the requisite forms there? It takes about 24 hours for the information to get to the school.

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:43 am

Yeah I filled them out about a week ago, but I am still getting the message that they aren't submitted.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:06 am

I guess there's just a backlog of those coming in. My entrance counseling and Stafford MPN showed up pretty quickly on myUChicago, but I did those the day they became available. The GradPlus MPN that showed up on 6/2 and I completed 6/9 is still "not received" on myUChicago.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi everyone!

I am currently having trouble deciding where to live.

I know over half of 1L live in Regent and its immediate surroundings, but the prices are somewhat atrocious, $1100 for studio~.

Is there anywhere I could live not too far away from the LS/Regent while not paying such prices?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:39 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:Hi everyone!

I know over half of 1L live in Regent and its immediate surroundings, but the prices are somewhat atrocious, $1100 for studio~.

Is there anywhere I could live not too far away from the LS/Regent while not paying such prices?
Look through this thread, as there are a ton of posts on the subject: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165

Should note that not too far from the LS ≠ not too far from regents. The two aren't close together; they just happen to have a bus running between them.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:59 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:

Look through this thread, as there are a ton of posts on the subject: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165

Should note that not too far from the LS ≠ not too far from regents. The two aren't close together; they just happen to have a bus running between them.
I think if I have to pick I would live closer to Regents than the LS. Is it safe to walk around the regent area at night?

I am currently looking through PadMapper, and found some decent prices/location, are these listings to be trusted?

Edit: Thanks for the link, I will look through it again. I looked through it once before for interview preparation!

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 pm

lawschool2014hopeful wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

I think if I have to pick I would live closer to Regents than the LS. Is it safe to walk around the regent area at night?

I am currently looking through PadMapper, and found some decent prices/location, are these listings to be trusted?

Edit: Thanks for the link, I will look through it again. I looked through it once before for interview preparation!
Yes. It gets sketchier as you go west. But the area right around and to the south of Regents is among the safest in Hyde Park. If you're worried about safety, living close to the law school is much sketchier than most of the rest of Hyde Park (though really not that bad, these days).

I've never heard of that, so I can't speak to it. The independent brokers in Hyde Park generally use marketplace.uchicago.edu, and to a lesser degree craigslist. The bigger management companies have their own sites (TLC, MAC, etc).

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:29 pm

The Bursar's website says tuition is billed monthly, but someone in the SLA office told me that tuition is billed quarterly. Which is it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:37 pm

Leo wrote:The Bursar's website says tuition is billed monthly, but someone in the SLA office told me that tuition is billed quarterly. Which is it?
Quarterly

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Crowing wrote:
Leo wrote:The Bursar's website says tuition is billed monthly, but someone in the SLA office told me that tuition is billed quarterly. Which is it?
Quarterly
I think you can set up a thing where it gets pro-rated to monthly, but yea it's quarterly by default.

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:10 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Quarterly
I think you can set up a thing where it gets pro-rated to monthly, but yea it's quarterly by default.
Thanks for the responses. Found this on the Bursar's website. As you say, one can opt into a monthly payment plan for the low-low fee of $90/yr. Seems like a no-brainer for anyone that has an income during school.

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Leo wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Quarterly
Thanks for the responses. Found this on the Bursar's website. As you say, one can opt into a monthly payment plan for the low-low fee of $90/yr. Seems like a no-brainer for anyone that has an income during school.
I'm probably missing something here, but why would it be a no-brainer? Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's been a long week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leo

Bronze

Post by Leo » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:33 am

Canof09 wrote:I'm probably missing something here, but why would it be a no-brainer? Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's been a long week.
If you pay all at once at the beginning of the quarter, then you need to take out loans to cover your forthcoming income. If you pay monthly, then your loans only have to cover the difference between your income and your expenses.

Canof09

New

Post by Canof09 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:49 am

Ah, I misunderstood your original post. Yep that makes sense.

nedstarksbastard

New

Post by nedstarksbastard » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Does anyone know when and how loans and stipends get disbursed?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:57 am

nedstarksbastard wrote:Does anyone know when and how loans and stipends get disbursed?
Loans go out a few days before school starts. You will get it then if you do direct deposit, otherwise that's when the check is mailed and it usually gets to you around the first day of school. You don't have to deal with any dues, they take it all out and just give you the excess for you to use as you see fit.

The Ruby stipend is a check you pick up I think and later but still early in the quarter. I am not a Ruby so grains of salt and such.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”