Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:28 pm

*EDIT: Password for the orientation survey is wigmore.

Well, we're definitely in the dog days now. Those with jobs are probably just counting minutes wondering why it's taking so long to get to mid-August. Those without may be doing the same...I know I am.

Anyway, new poll up! The previous one has been added to the OP. I'll throw some more housecleaning items here (and on the OP) to keep us on track:

-If you haven't yet, fill out and turn in your Admission Health Record. It'll save you hassle once we get started.
-Apparently, there's an Orientation Survey we need to fill out..."wigmore" is the password.
-Here is a copy of the Draft Orientation Schedule

Again, if there's anything incorrect or any data you have and want me to pass, let me know! 37 days until we meet on day 1 of orientation...
Last edited by MT Cicero on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bonerland
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby bonerland » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Soco Law wrote:Well, we're definitely in the dog days now. Those with jobs are probably just counting minutes wondering why it's taking so long to get to mid-August. Those without may be doing the same...I know I am.

Anyway, new poll up! The previous one has been added to the OP. I'll throw some more housecleaning items here (and on the OP) to keep us on track:

-If you haven't yet, fill out and turn in your Admission Health Record. It'll save you hassle once we get started.
-Apparently, there's a Orientation Survey, but I haven't seen the password anywhere yet. If anyone has received the password from student services, go ahead and let us know!
-The school is requesting an official copy of our transcripts. The information is on the Orientation Website.
-Here is a copy of the Draft Orientation Schedule Again, if there's anything incorrect or any data you have and want me to pass, let me know! 37 days until we meet on day 1 of orientation...


I believe that the info re: transcripts on that webpage is incorrect. That information was posted before the pre-matriculation guides were emailed. Here is a portion of an email from Christina dated 7/11:


2. The Pre-Matriculation guide for all incoming JD students (JD, JD/MBA, JD- LLM IHR, or JD-LLM Tax) is on the admitted students’ site.

(a) You should be wrapping up the process of getting your student health record in order and sent to the main campus. While the deadline on the form is July 1st for fall start, we were given an extension to July 15th. If you need additional time to get this done, please let me know.

(b) I still don’t have an answer about final transcripts. We want to make sure we give you the right information so once I get it from the ABA, I promise I will email you with your new action item

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:34 pm

bonerland wrote:Hold off on transcripts


Got it. Removed from my post above.

dempsey6
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby dempsey6 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Very random question but has anyone ever heard of a law student getting a home loan (post 2009)? Looking at the prices to rent and makes total sense to purchase a place, financially at least… especially if we work in the city after 3 years at NU.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby whereskyle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Soco Law wrote:Well, we're definitely in the dog days now. Those with jobs are probably just counting minutes wondering why it's taking so long to get to mid-August. Those without may be doing the same...I know I am.

Anyway, new poll up! The previous one has been added to the OP. I'll throw some more housecleaning items here (and on the OP) to keep us on track:

-If you haven't yet, fill out and turn in your Admission Health Record. It'll save you hassle once we get started.
-Apparently, there's a Orientation Survey, but I haven't seen the password anywhere yet. If anyone has received the password from student services, go ahead and let us know!
-Here is a copy of the Draft Orientation Schedule

Again, if there's anything incorrect or any data you have and want me to pass, let me know! 37 days until we meet on day 1 of orientation...


Thanks for streamlining the orientation schedule!

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

whereskyle wrote:Thanks for streamlining the orientation schedule!


No problem!

I'm guessing that many of you received an email from student services today. It contained the password for the orientation survey: wigmore.

I've updated the post at the top of this page.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby M458 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Rising 2L here happy to answer any questions you guys have. Just FYI, you probably won't know your sections until the week before orientation.

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby dstars823 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm

M458 wrote:Rising 2L here happy to answer any questions you guys have. Just FYI, you probably won't know your sections until the week before orientation.


rising 2L as well if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm

dstars823 wrote:
M458 wrote:Rising 2L here happy to answer any questions you guys have. Just FYI, you probably won't know your sections until the week before orientation.


rising 2L as well if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Rising 2L transfer here, if you guys wanna make fun of me, feel free to respond. :D

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:16 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:
M458 wrote:Rising 2L here happy to answer any questions you guys have. Just FYI, you probably won't know your sections until the week before orientation.


rising 2L as well if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Rising 2L transfer here, if you guys wanna make fun of me, feel free to respond. :D


As a 0L, I make fun of nobody. I'm acquainted with a few of the rising 2Ls...you're joining some good folks.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lhanvt13 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Soco Law wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:
dstars823 wrote:
M458 wrote:Rising 2L here happy to answer any questions you guys have. Just FYI, you probably won't know your sections until the week before orientation.


rising 2L as well if you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

Rising 2L transfer here, if you guys wanna make fun of me, feel free to respond. :D


As a 0L, I make fun of nobody. I'm acquainted with a few of the rising 2Ls...you're joining some good folks.

Woo! awesome

User avatar
d cooper
Posts: 306
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby d cooper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 pm

What am I agreeing to in this part of the survey?

As you are probably already aware, your reputation for professionalism, accountability, and personal responsibility will be invaluable to you in the legal and business professions. Throughout your academic career, certain activities and events will be designated as

Your attendance at these events is considered essential for good citizenship, as well as integral to your academic career and personal development. Failure to attend an event without prior approval of the Dean of Students, could result in the notation of such failure in your Student Services’ file, a file referenced for any future inquiries regarding your character and fitness to practice law.

[ ] By checking this box, I am indicating I have acknowledged and read this policy.

User avatar
MT Cicero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby MT Cicero » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:23 pm

d cooper wrote:What am I agreeing to in this part of the survey?

As you are probably already aware, your reputation for professionalism, accountability, and personal responsibility will be invaluable to you in the legal and business professions. Throughout your academic career, certain activities and events will be designated as

Your attendance at these events is considered essential for good citizenship, as well as integral to your academic career and personal development. Failure to attend an event without prior approval of the Dean of Students, could result in the notation of such failure in your Student Services’ file, a file referenced for any future inquiries regarding your character and fitness to practice law.

[ ] By checking this box, I am indicating I have acknowledged and read this policy.


Saw that. Let's finish the sentence for them:

"...Thunderdome death matches"

babblefish
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby babblefish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am

Rising 2L here. I am betting they mean 'mandatory' designation. Our class got a lot of flack for not attending events (though I still take the theory that it was just because our class size was smaller) so looks like they are trying to get you guys on the front end.

Thunderdome death matches would be preferrable though, imo.

User avatar
lhanvt13
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am

babblefish wrote:Rising 2L here. I am betting they mean 'mandatory' designation. Our class got a lot of flack for not attending events (though I still take the theory that it was just because our class size was smaller) so looks like they are trying to get you guys on the front end.

Thunderdome death matches would be preferrable though, imo.

I hear this from every 2L I talk to. What events are usually held?

babblefish
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby babblefish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:37 am

Good question (and also welcome!). There are quite a few events every week by student groups, but the mandatory events are held by either Career Services (firm cocktails, OCI info, job market stuff) or Student Services (how to outline, write an exam, curriculum stuff). One of our problems last year would be that these two offices would schedule mandatory events on the same day without checking with each other first.

Where we really got in trouble was not attending the Career Services events. Again, I attended the majority of events and I think that the drop in attendance can largely be attributed to a drop in class size, but there was one Meet the Employers event (which you all should go to, btw, it led to an interview for me) where there were more attorneys than law students and it reflected poorly on the school.

User avatar
scorneli
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby scorneli » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

babblefish wrote:Good question (and also welcome!). There are quite a few events every week by student groups, but the mandatory events are held by either Career Services (firm cocktails, OCI info, job market stuff) or Student Services (how to outline, write an exam, curriculum stuff). One of our problems last year would be that these two offices would schedule mandatory events on the same day without checking with each other first.

Where we really got in trouble was not attending the Career Services events. Again, I attended the majority of events and I think that the drop in attendance can largely be attributed to a drop in class size, but there was one Meet the Employers event (which you all should go to, btw, it led to an interview for me) where there were more attorneys than law students and it reflected poorly on the school.


The non-attendance at mandatory events is to me both baffling and wildly hilarious. For the 2L's: are there frequent mandatory events that are an enormous time sink, or what gives?

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby M458 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm

scorneli wrote:
babblefish wrote:Good question (and also welcome!). There are quite a few events every week by student groups, but the mandatory events are held by either Career Services (firm cocktails, OCI info, job market stuff) or Student Services (how to outline, write an exam, curriculum stuff). One of our problems last year would be that these two offices would schedule mandatory events on the same day without checking with each other first.

Where we really got in trouble was not attending the Career Services events. Again, I attended the majority of events and I think that the drop in attendance can largely be attributed to a drop in class size, but there was one Meet the Employers event (which you all should go to, btw, it led to an interview for me) where there were more attorneys than law students and it reflected poorly on the school.


The non-attendance at mandatory events is to me both baffling and wildly hilarious. For the 2L's: are there frequent mandatory events that are an enormous time sink, or what gives?


Perhaps not frequent, but there are some that come to mind that ARE enormous time sinks (the journal meeting, curriculum meetings, and OMG THOSE LAWYER AS A PROBLEM SOLVER SESSIONS). I never really understood folks that didn't go to job market/firm reception stuff though. Whole point of coming to law school is to get a job.

suzige
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby suzige » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:39 pm

scorneli wrote:
babblefish wrote:Good question (and also welcome!). There are quite a few events every week by student groups, but the mandatory events are held by either Career Services (firm cocktails, OCI info, job market stuff) or Student Services (how to outline, write an exam, curriculum stuff). One of our problems last year would be that these two offices would schedule mandatory events on the same day without checking with each other first.

Where we really got in trouble was not attending the Career Services events. Again, I attended the majority of events and I think that the drop in attendance can largely be attributed to a drop in class size, but there was one Meet the Employers event (which you all should go to, btw, it led to an interview for me) where there were more attorneys than law students and it reflected poorly on the school.


The non-attendance at mandatory events is to me both baffling and wildly hilarious. For the 2L's: are there frequent mandatory events that are an enormous time sink, or what gives?


For the career services stuff that is mandatory, they always have a random form for u to sign that otherwise will bar u from participating in OCI, etc if you don't do what they req. I also was annoyed by mandatory mtgs and events that were scheduled at the same time. Oh, and gotta love it when you have classes rescheduled DURING mandatory meetings...those are great too.

But yes, the majority of "mandatory" mtgs are a waste of time and could easily be dealt w/ thru a long email.

kenwash
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kenwash » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:38 am

Does anyone have recommendations on cheaper parking in the downtown area? I'm bringing my car (against the advice of many, I know!), so I'll need parking. I'm looking for something less expensive than what my apartment offers ($200/mo). Unfortunately, I live too close to campus to use the school's garage. I've got my eye on Craigslist, but I'd like to explore other options as well.

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 am

kenwash wrote:Does anyone have recommendations on cheaper parking in the downtown area? I'm bringing my car (against the advice of many, I know!), so I'll need parking. I'm looking for something less expensive than what my apartment offers ($200/mo). Unfortunately, I live too close to campus to use the school's garage. I've got my eye on Craigslist, but I'd like to explore other options as well.


IMO $200/month is a good price for that area :/

kenwash
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kenwash » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
kenwash wrote:Does anyone have recommendations on cheaper parking in the downtown area? I'm bringing my car (against the advice of many, I know!), so I'll need parking. I'm looking for something less expensive than what my apartment offers ($200/mo). Unfortunately, I live too close to campus to use the school's garage. I've got my eye on Craigslist, but I'd like to explore other options as well.


IMO $200/month is a good price for that area :/

Not what I wanted to hear :( Does anyone know of surrounding areas (maybe 10-15 minutes via transit if that's reasonable) that may be cheaper?

babblefish
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby babblefish » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 pm

You can park on the street in Lakeview for free, but just be aware when they move cars for street cleaning, etc (usually the 3rd Thursday of every month). Also sometimes they will give a 48 hour notice before they move your car and I have had mine towed to a nearby parking lot, but you just call the police department and give them your license plate and they will tell you where they moved it.

Still recommend you don't bring the car, especially if you're living so close to school. I had mine for about two months before I sold it.

M458
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby M458 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:36 pm

babblefish wrote:You can park on the street in Lakeview for free, but just be aware when they move cars for street cleaning, etc (usually the 3rd Thursday of every month). Also sometimes they will give a 48 hour notice before they move your car and I have had mine towed to a nearby parking lot, but you just call the police department and give them your license plate and they will tell you where they moved it.

Still recommend you don't bring the car, especially if you're living so close to school. I had mine for about two months before I sold it.


+1 on recommending you don't bring the car, but also throwing in some parts of Wicker Park where you can park your car on the street for free (bit further from school than Lakeview though).

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby feralinfant » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

babblefish wrote:You can park on the street in Lakeview for free, but just be aware when they move cars for street cleaning, etc (usually the 3rd Thursday of every month). Also sometimes they will give a 48 hour notice before they move your car and I have had mine towed to a nearby parking lot, but you just call the police department and give them your license plate and they will tell you where they moved it.

Still recommend you don't bring the car, especially if you're living so close to school. I had mine for about two months before I sold it.


Not sure if theres areas i dont know about but a lot of lakeview is actually zone parking, so unless you have a lease showing you live in the neighborhood, you're not getting a sticker for street parking.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest