whereskyle wrote:Hey all! I've lived in Florida and California my entire life, and I know only a few people, who really know how to deal with cold. I'm wondering if you all, my cohort, may be willing to contribute to a list of essential gear and practices I'm compiling for surviving those -30 degree days with my health intact. What do I need to wear to protect myself on a frigid day? What are wise practices to follow if I have to be somewhere across town on a wintry day? I understand that this is amateurish, but I've spent about 12 days of my life in freezing temperatures, and I just wore two jackets and two pairs of jeans. I'd like to upgrade. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You're AJD, right?
Okay, quick cold-weather (below zero) checklist:
1. Thermals, aka "long underwear". You will be wearing two layers of clothing (at least) from November to February. Have multiple pairs, and make sure they're quality (Under Armour, North Face, REI, type shit.)
2. Scarves. I know, there was a whole debate in the Lounge for a while about men looking like assholes for wearing scarves. You know who looks like an asshole? The guy with permanent skin damage due to windburn/frostbite. Don't fuck with the wind when you're within a mile of the lake.
3. Socks on Socks on Socks Seriously. Layer those bastards. You will need a least two pairs at all times.
4. Well-insulated, Water-proof boots both of those things are important. You get some fucking water-proof rain boot things that aren't insulated enough, no amount of socks will save you. Walk around in shitty Uggs, not only will I judge you on your taste, but your boots will get saturated and you'll end up footless as a punishment for wearing such shitty footwear.
5. Gloves Now, there are two schools of thought on this: You can either get some kind of gloves that give you access to finger tips (either finger-tip less gloves, or gloves that have a a mitten cap thing, whatever other various are floating around out there.), or you can go with one of those "conductor" type gloves. Either way, there will come a time when you will NEED to use your smartphone, and taking off your gloves will mean more pain and misery than you can imagine.
6. A Hat Hoods are cute, especially the kind with the dog-fur around the outside. But they do fuck-all in Chicago wind. If you're superfuckinglucky it will work during those magical times when the wind is at your back. In Chicago, that's about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time, you need a hat. Make sure it covers your ears, too. Those little shits get frostbite like no other.
7. Coat This is the super obvious one, but it's definitely the most open to interpretation. I have seen fuckers walking around with a hoodie under a fleece and call it a day. I have seen giant fucking puffs of coat that I assume contain humans somewhere in there. You get what works for you. But remember, this is your life raft. It will be with you more often than your motherfucking shadow November through February. Choose wisely.