Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
jonny09x1
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby jonny09x1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:45 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Just got word that they won't be increasing my scholly. Looks like unless I get into USC or Columbia, I'll be attending near sticker. And even then... :cry: :cry:


What other offers did you try to use in negotiation?

User avatar
scorneli
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby scorneli » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:35 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:Does anyone know which schools ranked below NU that they negotiate with? Also would they negotiate with a lesser amount from Michigan?


You may be able to put forward a cost of attendance argument with a lesser amount from Michigan. Even with a 15k bigger scholarship from NU, it was still hypothetically cheaper for me to attend Michigan. But I put down my deposit last night! Woohoo!

They've published the list of schools they'll compete with: Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Penn, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UT - Austin, UVA, and Yale.

bonerland
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby bonerland » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:23 pm

Anyone else making a cross country move? :shock:

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:17 am

bonerland wrote:Anyone else making a cross country move? :shock:


I did it my year. Sold everything that couldn't fit in my little mazda, and then took a marathon trip to the ikea in shaumberg to refurnish. The nice thing is, they deliver to the city for a very reasonable fee if you go out to the store and pick it all out yourself (vs ordering online)... and you get to spend a day at ikea.

User avatar
mellow
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mellow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:44 am

So NU's scholarship deadline is this Friday, but I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools regarding financial aid. Couldn't extend the deadline. If I deposit and accept the scholarship now, can I deposit/accept a seat at other schools? I know I can place multiple first deposits, but what about scholarship offers (NU's in particular)?

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 am

mellow wrote:So NU's scholarship deadline is this Friday, but I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools regarding financial aid. Couldn't extend the deadline. If I deposit and accept the scholarship now, can I deposit/accept a seat at other schools? I know I can place multiple first deposits, but what about scholarship offers (NU's in particular)?


My *understanding* is that Northwestern's first seat deposit is non-binding, so you can deposit and they won't like, withdraw you from all the schools you've gotten into.

But admittedly, I'm also looking on a perfect clarification of this.

I don't want to deposit at Northwestern just to find that I no longer can go anywhere else.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:02 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
mellow wrote:So NU's scholarship deadline is this Friday, but I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools regarding financial aid. Couldn't extend the deadline. If I deposit and accept the scholarship now, can I deposit/accept a seat at other schools? I know I can place multiple first deposits, but what about scholarship offers (NU's in particular)?


My *understanding* is that Northwestern's first seat deposit is non-binding, so you can deposit and they won't like, withdraw you from all the schools you've gotten into.

But admittedly, I'm also looking on a perfect clarification of this.

I don't want to deposit at Northwestern just to find that I no longer can go anywhere else.


I agree. There is nothing I see which makes me believe it is binding. That may be part of the reason it's so pricey.

redial38
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby redial38 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:25 am

I got no money from Northwestern after sending in those merit aid essays, but I really loved the school when I attended ASW. Does it seem possible to e-mail them with the offers of other schools to try and get something? I got some pretty hefty aid from some of the schools they compete with on that list they published. I'm hesitant because the e-mail seemed pretty definite, and the financial aid office sent me a loan plan shortly after.

I want to attend NU so badly but I just don't think I could do it at sticker...!

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:My *understanding* is that Northwestern's first seat deposit is non-binding, so you can deposit and they won't like, withdraw you from all the schools you've gotten into.


Almost certain that schools can't unilaterally withdraw your application to other schools, because they don't own your soul. Though they can rescind admittance if they've stated that you must withdraw from other schools and you don't.

Northwestern's first deposit doesn't have any language like that.

User avatar
barrelofmonkeys
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:32 am

cotiger wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:My *understanding* is that Northwestern's first seat deposit is non-binding, so you can deposit and they won't like, withdraw you from all the schools you've gotten into.


Almost certain that schools can't unilaterally withdraw your application to other schools, because they don't own your soul. Though they can rescind admittance if they've stated that you must withdraw from other schools and you don't.

Northwestern's first deposit doesn't have any language like that.


I know some Penn EDers who went to withdraw after being accepted to Penn ED and found that Penn had gone and withdrawn them already :shock:
I'm just ~nervous~

User avatar
cotiger
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby cotiger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 am

barrelofmonkeys wrote:I know some Penn EDers who went to withdraw after being accepted to Penn ED and found that Penn had gone and withdrawn them already :shock:
I'm just ~nervous~


Whoa. Huh. Maybe that was because of ED? Regardless, Northwestern's 1st deposit doesn't indicate that they even frown upon making multiple deposits (like Chicago), much less require you to withdraw from other schools (like NYU).

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:43 am

cotiger wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:I know some Penn EDers who went to withdraw after being accepted to Penn ED and found that Penn had gone and withdrawn them already :shock:
I'm just ~nervous~


Whoa. Huh. Maybe that was because of ED? Regardless, Northwestern's 1st deposit doesn't indicate that they even frown upon making multiple deposits (like Chicago), much less require you to withdraw from other schools (like NYU).


I agree with this. I also think that's probably why their (NU's) deposit is so pricey by comparison.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:05 pm

I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Marshmallow wrote:I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.


NU is in my top three, and I'm trying to decide if NU is in my top 2 before the deadline. A lot will hinge on my scholarship reconsideration, which hopefully should be coming in at any moment.

User avatar
Marshmallow
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Marshmallow » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:26 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.


NU is in my top three, and I'm trying to decide if NU is in my top 2 before the deadline. A lot will hinge on my scholarship reconsideration, which hopefully should be coming in at any moment.


good luck with the scholly reconsideration and your decision! I will perhaps re-ask this question come Friday :)

gimmedanger
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby gimmedanger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:01 pm

I'm still deciding between Northwestern and CU and I just deposited, if only to buy myself some extra decision-making time. $750 is lot of money to lose, but I don't want to rush the decision just because of money either.

Pretty sure I'll be at Northwestern though!!

User avatar
scorneli
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby scorneli » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:15 pm

redial38 wrote:I got no money from Northwestern after sending in those merit aid essays, but I really loved the school when I attended ASW. Does it seem possible to e-mail them with the offers of other schools to try and get something? I got some pretty hefty aid from some of the schools they compete with on that list they published. I'm hesitant because the e-mail seemed pretty definite, and the financial aid office sent me a loan plan shortly after.

I want to attend NU so badly but I just don't think I could do it at sticker...!


Absolutely. Do it. My philosophy is negotiate everything and negotiate hard. The worst they can say is no, but in your situation, I don't think that would be the case at all.

User avatar
scorneli
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby scorneli » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:17 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.


NU is in my top three, and I'm trying to decide if NU is in my top 2 before the deadline. A lot will hinge on my scholarship reconsideration, which hopefully should be coming in at any moment.


But Chicago is fun! You should definitely join us. Were you at the ASW? Perhaps we chatted.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm

scorneli wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.


NU is in my top three, and I'm trying to decide if NU is in my top 2 before the deadline. A lot will hinge on my scholarship reconsideration, which hopefully should be coming in at any moment.


But Chicago is fun! You should definitely join us. Were you at the ASW? Perhaps we chatted.


Yep I was at the ASW. And believe me, the city is one of the major draws for me about NU.

anneshirley
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby anneshirley » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:29 pm

For people who heard back about their scholarship re-examination requests, how long did it take for them to get back to you with their decision?

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:17 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
cotiger wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:My *understanding* is that Northwestern's first seat deposit is non-binding, so you can deposit and they won't like, withdraw you from all the schools you've gotten into.


Almost certain that schools can't unilaterally withdraw your application to other schools, because they don't own your soul. Though they can rescind admittance if they've stated that you must withdraw from other schools and you don't.

Northwestern's first deposit doesn't have any language like that.


I know some Penn EDers who went to withdraw after being accepted to Penn ED and found that Penn had gone and withdrawn them already :shock:
I'm just ~nervous~

Penn's Early Decision program, similar to most early decision programs is binding. And they make it very clear that it is binding. My gut tells me that law schools, particularly prestigious ones, aren't in the business of being vague or tricky.

From the Penn Application Instructions:
Penn Law's Early Decision program is binding. Applicants who wish to be considered for Early Decision must commit to matriculate at Penn Law if admitted. If admitted, you must withdraw your applications from all other law schools and refrain from initiating new applications. Applicants who apply through the Early Decision program may apply to other law schools but may not have more than one binding Early Decision application pending simultaneously. If an Early Decision application has been submitted to another school, applicants may apply through Penn Law's Early Decision program only if and when they are released from their binding terms at the other school.

I'm sure the contract you sign is even more clear.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 pm

anneshirley wrote:For people who heard back about their scholarship re-examination requests, how long did it take for them to get back to you with their decision?


I heard back within a few days.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Marshmallow wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:I'm curious... who is actually seriously considering putting down a deposit this week, but not at all sure about attending? As someone still waiting to hear on scholarship info (NU said they'd get second round decisions out between April 14-18, after first rounders have made a decision,) I'm trying to get a sense re: how many people are keeping NU in the mix without being certain.


NU is in my top three, and I'm trying to decide if NU is in my top 2 before the deadline. A lot will hinge on my scholarship reconsideration, which hopefully should be coming in at any moment.


good luck with the scholly reconsideration and your decision! I will perhaps re-ask this question come Friday :)


Not good news on the reconsideration front. No increase. I heard at ASW they possibly over admitted. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

gimmedanger
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby gimmedanger » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Since I deposited today... does that money go towards tuition or is it separate?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:16 pm

gimmedanger wrote:Since I deposited today... does that money go towards tuition or is it separate?

It gets contributed toward your tuition bill.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest