Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
californiauser

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby californiauser » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:00 am

How easy is it to take the train from O'Hare to campus?

Leo

Postby Leo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 am

californiauser wrote:How easy is it to take the train from O'Hare to campus?

It's a bit of a trek. Firstly, a train derailed at the ohare station last week, and I am not sure if services have resumed yet. If they are running, then you have to take the train into the Loop and transfer to the Red line. The whole trip will probably take 1.25 hrs. Might be better to cough up the $40 for a cab or see if your hotel has a shuttle service.

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:17 am

Leo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Is it worth meeting w/ any finaid people, or is that best handled through the scholarship negotiation form?

Wait, there's a form? I just emailed them. I was only mildly successful though.

3-year admits had a 'please match my awesome scholarship from School X" form. I preferred the less structured negotiation window that the AJDs had.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:07 am

kcdc1 wrote:
Leo wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Is it worth meeting w/ any finaid people, or is that best handled through the scholarship negotiation form?

Wait, there's a form? I just emailed them. I was only mildly successful though.

3-year admits had a 'please match my awesome scholarship from School X" form. I preferred the less structured negotiation window that the AJDs had.

Yeah, there is a pretty structured form that you can fill out, asking for specific schools and amounts, etc. that you are considering. Although I'm sure you can just send them an email as well, with your request. That may be better.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:26 am

The blue line is running from O'Hare right now (service resumed after the derailment a couple days agos), but from 10 pm on Friday until 4 am on Monday there is planned work between Damen and Western (in between the airport and the loop) that will require a "bus substitution" and will undoubtedly be a hassle and increase travel time.

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_in ... rtId=22399

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am

If there are no train issues, I would take the train from O'Hare to Chicago Avenue, then, take a cab. It's ~$15 vs $40 for a cab the whole way. Obviously, though, only do this if you are getting in before 10pm on Friday. The bus substitution Mullens describes will undoubtedly be a total nightmare.

Also, the suggestion to go into the loop to catch the red line might have some weird advantage, but it is a route I would never consider. According to Google Maps it's no faster than taking the bus across Chicago Ave, and you have to walk much further.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to comment that you can negotiate flat rates with Chicago cabbies to/from the airport :D A lot of people do it. I didn't know about this for a long time, so I was always stuck paying either THEIR offered flat rate of $35, or a similar # from the ticker. So, hopefully this helps some out there.

Usually, the going flat rate is $30. Depending on who you get, some will accept $25 flat rate. It's awesome. Just tap on the window and ask if they'll take a $25 or $30 flat rate to campus/o'hare. If no, just ask the next one. In my experience, everyone took the $30, but for the $25, it was 1/3 or 1/4 tries.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm

janetdoe wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to comment that you can negotiate flat rates with Chicago cabbies to/from the airport :D A lot of people do it. I didn't know about this for a long time, so I was always stuck paying either THEIR offered flat rate of $35, or a similar # from the ticker. So, hopefully this helps some out there.

Usually, the going flat rate is $30. Depending on who you get, some will accept $25 flat rate. It's awesome. Just tap on the window and ask if they'll take a $25 or $30 flat rate to campus/o'hare. If no, just ask the next one. In my experience, everyone took the $30, but for the $25, it was 1/3 or 1/4 tries.

Good info - thanks

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:31 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
janetdoe wrote:Hey guys, just wanted to comment that you can negotiate flat rates with Chicago cabbies to/from the airport :D A lot of people do it. I didn't know about this for a long time, so I was always stuck paying either THEIR offered flat rate of $35, or a similar # from the ticker. So, hopefully this helps some out there.

Good info - thanks

Considering how hard it is to get a cabbie to drive to the airport at all (I've had to stop 5-6 cabs before one is willing to drive out there sometimes, especially close to rush hour), I don't think I'd try this try to get TO the airport. Once the cabbie is already out there and you're trying to get downtown FROM the airport, seems like a safer plan.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:06 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Good info - thanks

Considering how hard it is to get a cabbie to drive to the airport at all (I've had to stop 5-6 cabs before one is willing to drive out there sometimes, especially close to rush hour), I don't think I'd try this try to get TO the airport. Once the cabbie is already out there and you're trying to get downtown FROM the airport, seems like a safer plan.

I haven't really had any problems, but maybe that's a function of where we live or were looking for cabs? If you mean you directly tried it from campus, then idk. I was in River North, but I've also lived in Streeterville, and I had no problems findings cabs to take me to o'hare or far north.

For those on campus looking for cabs, just walk over to the Double Tree. For whatever reason, it's always booked/full, and so there are always lots of cabs there. They can take you to the airport. I've done that before, too.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:51 pm

janetdoe wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:

Good info - thanks

I haven't really had any problems, but maybe that's a function of where we live or were looking for cabs? If you mean you directly tried it from campus, then idk. I was in River North, but I've also lived in Streeterville, and I had no problems findings cabs to take me to o'hare or far north.

For those on campus looking for cabs, just walk over to the Double Tree. For whatever reason, it's always booked/full, and so there are always lots of cabs there. They can take you to the airport. I've done that before, too.
From Streeterville. It's happened more than once. Cabbies see me standing next to luggage and they blow right past, or stop and say they don't want to drive to the airport, sorry. Sometimes they'll reluctantly agree but only if you have cash (another annoying Chicago cabbie trait is to whine if you want to pay with card, like you're literally stealing food from their starving children. Hey asshole, the law says I can pay with card and it's either card or NOT GET PAID.)

I've heard people have better luck with UberX, so I might try that.

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm

It all depends on the driver though. Before my flight for spring break I had to walk a couple of blocks with my suitcase and I had available cabs honk and wave at me, presumably because they wanted to take me to the airport.

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:From Streeterville. It's happened more than once. Cabbies see me standing next to luggage and they blow right past, or stop and say they don't want to drive to the airport, sorry. Sometimes they'll reluctantly agree but only if you have cash (another annoying Chicago cabbie trait is to whine if you want to pay with card, like you're literally stealing food from their starving children. Hey asshole, the law says I can pay with card and it's either card or NOT GET PAID.)

It's probably because you're a Pegasus.

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 pm

It's a LITTLE colder than I thought it would be.. Currently freezing to death on magnificent mile and thinking about how much worse it will be in the winter months. :shock: Might as well get used to the cold now.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:From Streeterville. It's happened more than once. Cabbies see me standing next to luggage and they blow right past, or stop and say they don't want to drive to the airport, sorry. Sometimes they'll reluctantly agree but only if you have cash (another annoying Chicago cabbie trait is to whine if you want to pay with card, like you're literally stealing food from their starving children. Hey asshole, the law says I can pay with card and it's either card or NOT GET PAID.)

It's probably because you're a Pegasus.

Fair point. I should just fly, right?

babblefish

Postby babblefish » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:55 pm

herrowww wrote:It's a LITTLE colder than I thought it would be.. Currently freezing to death on magnificent mile and thinking about how much worse it will be in the winter months. :shock: Might as well get used to the cold now.

Welcome! Heads up that all the good winter stuff (& snowboots) are on sale now. Don't necessarily need to get them while you're here but if you order online and bring them when you move you will save yourself some grief come November.

Sidenote: I use UberX about once a week from the campus. They are about 30% cheaper than cabbies if there is no surge and if you are a new user, you get a $20 discount for your first ride. Google it, download the app & save yourself some money, but get a cab if there is surge pricing (which you can order from the app too and not have to stroll the streets with luggage).

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 am

Getting in late this evening and I'll see you all tomorrow. Hope today is fun!

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:13 am

Anyone else in RB150 for M&A? A few of the people in here look like TLSers.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:19 am

ASW PEOPLE IN MY TORTS CLASS.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:32 am

Micdiddy wrote:ASW PEOPLE IN MY TORTS CLASS.

Fingers crossed they keep their mouths shut lol

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:38 am

lawschool22 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:ASW PEOPLE IN MY TORTS CLASS.

Fingers crossed they keep their mouths shut lol

really? fundamentally im hoping she cold calls one of them.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Anyone else in RB150 for M&A? A few of the people in here look like TLSers.

how can you tell what a TLS-er looks like? o_O

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 pm

janetdoe wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Anyone else in RB150 for M&A? A few of the people in here look like TLSers.

how can you tell what a TLS-er looks like? o_O

How can you not?

gimmedanger

Postby gimmedanger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:57 pm

can you have a car in chicago or is it a giant hassle?

Things that make it possible
-free street parking in neighborhoods?
-free parking spot with rental?

mostly those 2 things. affordable monthly parking would be okay too.

I am not an everyday driver and would use transit to commute to school. The car would be more for weekends/groceries/needing to get out of the city

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:00 pm

If anyone is at ASW and has the schedule of events, can you check the listing for the school tours this afternoon (at 3:30) and tell me whether it says just "campus tour" or "tour of campus and surrounding area" or anything like that? I'm in class and I will barely have enough time to get where I need to go to lead a tour, and if I need to run downstairs to grab my coat I will need to leave class early.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”