Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
AAJD2B

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:46 pm

kenwash wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
kenwash wrote:So did I completely miss on TLS that NU sends us a container of Garret's popcorn?? I love this school...

wait what
where is my popcorn

Oh no.. :( Anyone else get popcorn?

I did, but I do not need popcorn, NU, just more $$$.

I pray that NU is open to negotiations. Hope I can get to speak to Johann and Shannon about my options at tonight's dinner.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:49 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
kenwash wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:
kenwash wrote:So did I completely miss on TLS that NU sends us a container of Garret's popcorn?? I love this school...

wait what
where is my popcorn

I did, but I do not need popcorn, NU, just more $$$.

I pray that NU is open to negotiations. Hope I can get to speak to Johann and Shannon about my options at tonight's dinner.

sorry :(

but...but when did you get the popcorn? i mean, i'm just really hungry right now.

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:sorry :(

but...but when did you get the popcorn? i mean, i'm just really hungry right now.

Do you want mine?? :mrgreen:

Got it by mail today. Located on the East Coast.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:55 pm

AAJD2B wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:sorry :(

Do you want mine?? :mrgreen:

Got it by mail today. Located on the East Coast.

excellllllent. i expect it when i get home today.
if you would like to mail me yours AS WELL, that's fine by me. i will probably also be hungry in a few days :)

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:57 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:i'm just really hungry right now.

MMMMM I want my popcorn! I guess I could just go down the street to Garrett's, but for me hungry and logical are mutually exclusive.

kathj06

Postby kathj06 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:58 pm

kenwash wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

wait what
where is my popcorn

What flavor are we talking? That Chicago caramel/cheddar mix is strangely delightful.

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:59 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:

MMMMM I want my popcorn! I guess I could just go down the street to Garrett's, but for me hungry and logical are mutually exclusive.

hey snap i just watched the episode of DC last night that your tar comes from
i've been feeling nostalgic and rewatching the start of the whole pacey/joey saga.

you're basically set on NU, right?

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:08 pm

kathj06 wrote:
kenwash wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

wait what
where is my popcorn

What flavor are we talking? That Chicago caramel/cheddar mix is strangely delightful.

That's the one! Half of it is already gone..it was a small container.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:

hey snap i just watched the episode of DC last night that your tar comes from
i've been feeling nostalgic and rewatching the start of the whole pacey/joey saga.

you're basically set on NU, right?

YES! Did you rewind and watch that part like 8 times because it's hilarious??

The prospect of moving to DC for georgetown is really exciting, but I think this scholly offer and the popcorn (jk) could sway me back to NU. At this point, I really want to make a decision but it's so hard to pick between 2 great options. How about you?

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 am

kathj06 wrote:
kenwash wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote:

wait what
where is my popcorn

Soooooo, I like scholorship money, but I also like popcorn... And this talk of caramel/cheddar is making me hungry.. Who wants to share?

kathj06

Postby kathj06 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 am

Ditto-I came home to a devastatingly popcorn-less mailbox last night :(
Hopefully it is in transit en route to DC....

AAJD2B

Postby AAJD2B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:18 am

Dinner in NYC was good. Had a chance to speak individually with both Johann and Cristina, both of whom were very receptive and informative. I thought the alumni and prospective student interaction was good too, and the speech by Professor Lupo captivating.

Johann made mention of USNews rankings and increasing their LSAT medians (lol) and jabs were made at Harvard and UMichigan (surprisingly, nothing was said of UChicago) in a joking manner. Overall, NU seems like a great place to study law for the right price tag.

In comparison to my Vandy reception, I thought there was more camaraderie amongst Vandy lawyers and prospies, but that's just me.

rachellen

Postby rachellen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just recently started following this forum... I'm deciding between Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern right now, and while I was leaning toward NU for a while, I have heard a few things about how it's heavy business orientation results in somewhat of a lack of support for public interest law. I'm definitely planning on a career in public interest, focused on environmental law, so I find such sentiments concerning.

If any current public interest-oriented students come across my post here, I would love to hear your thoughts on this! Feel free to PM me, if this isn't of great interest to others on this board. Thanks so much!

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm

rachellen wrote:Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just recently started following this forum... I'm deciding between Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern right now, and while I was leaning toward NU for a while, I have heard a few things about how it's heavy business orientation results in somewhat of a lack of support for public interest law. I'm definitely planning on a career in public interest, focused on environmental law, so I find such sentiments concerning.

If any current public interest-oriented students come across my post here, I would love to hear your thoughts on this! Feel free to PM me, if this isn't of great interest to others on this board. Thanks so much!

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well....

lemons

Postby lemons » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:27 pm

esrom55 wrote:
rachellen wrote:Hey everyone, sorry if this has been discussed already, but I just recently started following this forum... I'm deciding between Michigan, UVA, and Northwestern right now, and while I was leaning toward NU for a while, I have heard a few things about how it's heavy business orientation results in somewhat of a lack of support for public interest law. I'm definitely planning on a career in public interest, focused on environmental law, so I find such sentiments concerning.

I'd be interested in the answer to this as well....

you might have more luck posting in the current 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions thread. they seem to answer questions pretty quickly and well :)

i'm on my phone so i can't link the thread but hopefully you all can find it!

kenwash

Postby kenwash » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:30 pm

I submitted my scholarship essays today. How long does it take to get notified of your aid award?

rachellen

Postby rachellen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:52 pm

you might have more luck posting in the current 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions thread. they seem to answer questions pretty quickly and well :)

Thanks! Done.

Dellas623

Postby Dellas623 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm

kenwash wrote:I submitted my scholarship essays today. How long does it take to get notified of your aid award?

Submitted Feb 21, received March 20.

AceDeuces

Postby AceDeuces » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:58 pm

kenwash wrote:I submitted my scholarship essays today. How long does it take to get notified of your aid award?

It took awhile for the first batch since they did all of them at once, but I get the sense it's going to start coming in waves now, relatively quickly. The confirmation email I got (which came a couple days later after I submitted) indicated I would know by the end of March.

berndie90

Postby berndie90 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:47 pm

Has anyone had trouble with the Class of 2017 FB group? I applied and e-mailed them after several weeks, and still nothing. Not sure if other people have seen movement on there, but it would be be nice to be able to chat with some additional classmates!

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:44 pm

berndie90 wrote:Has anyone had trouble with the Class of 2017 FB group? I applied and e-mailed them after several weeks, and still nothing. Not sure if other people have seen movement on there, but it would be be nice to be able to chat with some additional classmates!

It took me a couple months before I was added to the group, so I think you just need to keep waiting :/

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Received a second Moleskin instead of popcorn which, if given the choice, I would have actively chosen anyway.

How did they know that I am trying to watch my petite girlish figure? :?

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:52 pm

bonerland wrote:Received a second Moleskin instead of popcorn which, if given the choice, I would have actively chosen anyway.

How did they know that I am trying to watch my petite girlish figure? :?

I damaged my moleskine within days of receiving it. I'd take another. Never trust Tupperware.

janetdoe

Postby janetdoe » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:39 am

esrom55 wrote:I'd be interested in the answer to this as well....

The answer is yes. Most of my Chitown law friends are currently attending or have graduated from NU or UofC. I am well acquainted with both schools. NU is heavily business-oriented; UofC is very academic. NU is an "older" law school. Most of their applications are much more than 2 years removed from school; that is, they've had a career. I believe the average age at NU is ~28. 2-3 years ago, only 2-3% of their applicants were KJD. Of the small # of KJD applicants admitted in that cycle, 1's dad is the former CEO of Disney; the other's parents were one of the families that started another recognizable company. Now, however, I think we will see the avg age go down a little, as all the law schools will struggle to keep their numbers up despite a shrinking applicant pool.

Note, this does not mean most of their applicants went and worked as investment bankers, consultants, etc. To the contrary, a large portion of their admitted class worked for nonprofits or test prep companies. One current 2L is a former NHL hockey player. WE runs the gamut. Age is more important to this school than others. So, I would say at NU it's actually AGE > WE; they want maturity, and NU is very specific about this.

I feel that a strong aspect demonstrating NU's no-nonsense attitude is their application process/numbers game. They're very splitter friendly, and numbers are very important to them. One current student had a 178 and a 2.5 GPA. You may say someone with those numbers would of course get into some T14 schools, but many prefer a more "well-rounded" applicant. The fact that NU has historically taken many of these kinds of applicants is somewhat telling to their process and vision. They're a no-nonsense school that cares a lot about numbers and business. While PS may matter more at other schools, I get the strong feeling while it may matter somewhat at NU, perhaps not as much. That does not necessarily mean that they have no interest in public interest, though. It is a strong school with an even stronger business school, and it often attracts a certain kind of applicant.

Also, this may or may not help fill out more of a picture for you: most of my friends at NU and UofC are all in the top 10% of their classes. none of them (including those that are <10% but >25%) will be going into public interest. They're all going into BigLaw or Federal Appellate Clerkships. That being said, I don't think going to NU and doing well there would hurt anyone's chances of going into public interest. Hope this helps.

If I may add one more thing: be prepared for very expensive cost of living near NU. The avg 1 bedroom apt within walking distance is $1700. Many students have studios. One student lives in a studio, and it costs $2200/month. It's across the street from the $1700/month one. Both are 4 blocks from school. The groceries are not cheap, either. They're definitely more expensive that NYC groceries. It also doesn't help that most nearby grocery stores are all organic/european-y type stores. (note that most students afford this type of expensive ass city living because they worked for many years and have saved some money. that does not mean anyone likes it lol).

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 am

janetdoe wrote:If I may add one more thing: be prepared for very expensive cost of living near NU. The avg 1 bedroom apt within walking distance is $1700. Many students have studios. One student lives in a studio, and it costs $2200/month. It's across the street from the $1700/month one. Both are 4 blocks from school. The groceries are not cheap, either. They're definitely more expensive that NYC groceries. It also doesn't help that most nearby grocery stores are all organic/european-y type stores. (note that most students afford this type of expensive ass city living because they worked for many years and have saved some money. that does not mean anyone likes it lol).

Almost nothing in Chicago is more expensive than the equivalent in NYC.* Having lived in Chicago for the last three years and in Manhattan/Brooklyn for most of the rest of my life, I feel confident making that statement. I'm sure you can find groceries in NYC that are cheaper than the groceries in streeterville, but you won't find cheaper groceries in an equivalent store in an equivalent centrally-located neighborhood.

I'm sure it's true that the cost of living for NU is more than many of the T-14, but that's the cost of going to a school that's in the heart of a metropolis. If you don't care about that, and you are worried about cost of living, the schools in college-towns are probably much cheaper. If you want to be in a city, like for real, NU probably has the lowest cost of living for the options available. NYU is undoubtedly more expensive, so much so that many students probably don't even live in the same county as NYU campus. CLS is probably also extremely expensive, and it's relatively removed from a lot of NYC. Even the smaller cities (Boston, Philly and DC) are very expensive, with Philly being the most affordable. If Penn itself is cheaper, it would be based on the location of the school, not the cost of living for the city as a whole. I don't know how California works, and the rest of the schools aren't in real cities.

Cost of living index:
NYC: 216 (Brooklyn: 181)
San Fran: 164
DC: 140
Boston: 132
Philly: 126
New Haven: 122 (Not a real city)
Chicago: 116
Charlottesville: 107 (Not a real city)
Raleigh: 96 (Not a real city)
Ann Arbor and Ithaca (Didn't make the list I was looking at.)

* The only exception seems to be very cheap eats, like pizza or street meat.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”