Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
AAJD2B

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby AAJD2B » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Got a sweet deal on Hotwire to stay at The James Hotel for $100ish/night. I hear it's close to NU and a great place to stay, if anyone else may be interested. Three weeks away! I arrive on the 3rd. :mrgreen:

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 pm

I am part of the NU class of 2017, so I feel like I am (at least somewhat) entitled to post something here that should go somewhere else:

I'm wondering what people think will be the biggest movers in USNWR over the next ten years. And where will NU be.

Does anyone know where I could post this question appropriately, or has this discussion already started?

With respect to NU, where do you guys think we will be in 10 years? Will T14 hold up? If not, will NU fall down the rankings some? Or will the business-centric approach lead to a rise in the rankings?

esrom55

Postby esrom55 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 pm

Anybody get their acceptance packet, which Johann apparently mailed on Monday?

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:58 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:I am part of the NU class of 2017, so I feel like I am (at least somewhat) entitled to post something here that should go somewhere else:

I'm wondering what people think will be the biggest movers in USNWR over the next ten years. And where will NU be.

Does anyone know where I could post this question appropriately, or has this discussion already started?

With respect to NU, where do you guys think we will be in 10 years? Will T14 hold up? If not, will NU fall down the rankings some? Or will the business-centric approach lead to a rise in the rankings?

I think that the T14 will stay where it is. Over the past 30 years, the T14 has looked pretty much the same. These things are engrained and will continue to be that way. I'm worried about drops in LSAT medians and all that, but every school save Stanford fell a point or 2. Don't worry about it.

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:18 pm

whereskyle wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:I am part of the NU class of 2017, so I feel like I am (at least somewhat) entitled to post something here that should go somewhere else:

I think that the T14 will stay where it is. Over the past 30 years, the T14 has looked pretty much the same. These things are engrained and will continue to be that way. I'm worried about drops in LSAT medians and all that, but every school save Stanford fell a point or 2. Don't worry about it.

I'm not worried about, I just don't see how it's sustainable with the changes in population and economic growth in this country.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:34 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
whereskyle wrote:

I'm not worried about, I just don't see how it's sustainable with the changes in population and economic growth in this country.

I wonder what you mean by this. I'm still thinking that rankings will lead ppl to believe that NU is slightly better that GTown and Cornell this year, next year, and so on, so NU will attract marginally "better" candidates. Will you elaborate on your concern regarding growth?

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 pm

whereskyle wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
whereskyle wrote:

I wonder what you mean by this. I'm still thinking that rankings will lead ppl to believe that NU is slightly better that GTown and Cornell this year, next year, and so on, so NU will attract marginally "better" candidates. Will you elaborate on your concern regarding growth?

+1.. If anything I see NU rising in the ranks over the next 5-10yrs.

Samsing

Postby Samsing » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Does anyone want to split a hotel for ASW? pm me. There are really nice hotels for around $100/night on hotwire and priceline so it would come down to $50ish per person.

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:23 pm

whereskyle wrote:I wonder what you mean by this. I'm still thinking that rankings will lead ppl to believe that NU is slightly better that GTown and Cornell this year, next year, and so on, so NU will attract marginally "better" candidates. Will you elaborate on your concern regarding growth?

With the population in the south, central-south and south-west growing considerably faster than the northeast and midwest, I don't see how the status quo is sustainable. There is a large block of land south of Chicago that extends from Raleigh, NC to Berkeley California that is completely void of any of the elite group of 14 law schools. Given the growing population and GDP of places within this block of land, like Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, Florida and all of TEXAS, I don't see how that can be maintained. Most specifically, I don't see how Texas can continue to not have a top 10 law school. Am I being too political or naive?
I'm not saying that NU will suffer. I like the school's focus and Chicago is a great city. But I have to assume that the top 14 is a self-prepetuating phenomenon. Students choose these schools because they are the best, which keeps the schools as part of the best. But if it breaks, are certain schools at risk? For example, if there was a top 10, rather than a top 14, wouldn't those schools in Austin and LA at 15 and 16 look a little more attractive, and that school in Ithaca, NY at 13 a little less attractive?

ChicagoCPA

Postby ChicagoCPA » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 pm

bonerland wrote:
ChicagoCPA wrote:
bonerland wrote:Checking in.

See you peasants at The Streeter.

Can't wait - I'm just up the street. The area is awesome, I've never lived anywhere I love more! (Can't wait to share with all you fine folks.)

Hah. I was joking.

I've got nothing but love for the Streeter

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:57 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
whereskyle wrote:I wonder what you mean by this. I'm still thinking that rankings will lead ppl to believe that NU is slightly better that GTown and Cornell this year, next year, and so on, so NU will attract marginally "better" candidates. Will you elaborate on your concern regarding growth?

With the population in the south, central-south and south-west growing considerably faster than the northeast and midwest, I don't see how the status quo is sustainable. There is a large block of land south of Chicago that extends from Raleigh, NC to Berkeley California that is completely void of any of the elite group of 14 law schools. Given the growing population and GDP of places within this block of land, like Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, Florida and all of TEXAS, I don't see how that can be maintained. Most specifically, I don't see how Texas can continue to not have a top 10 law school. Am I being too political or naive?
I'm not saying that NU will suffer. I like the school's focus and Chicago is a great city. But I have to assume that the top 14 is a self-prepetuating phenomenon. Students choose these schools because they are the best, which keeps the schools as part of the best. But if it breaks, are certain schools at risk? For example, if there was a top 10, rather than a top 14, wouldn't those schools in Austin and LA at 15 and 16 look a little more attractive, and that school in Ithaca, NY at 13 a little less attractive?

I have to say that this is an interesting point. Why don't you start a thread with this, so we can both see people's opinions? (Do be prepared to be hazed. I've gotten used to it.)

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:01 pm

whereskyle wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:

I have to say that this is an interesting point. Why don't you start a thread with this, so we can both see people's opinions? (Do be prepared to be hazed. I've gotten used to it.)

But I don't know where to put it! That's why I put it here. Cause NU is stuck with me, so they have to put up with my interests and questions.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:

But I don't know where to put it! That's why I put it here. Cause NU is stuck with me, so they have to put up with my interests and questions.

Start a thread in Law School FAQ with a provocative title like "The New T14" or something.

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:17 pm

whereskyle wrote:Start a thread in Law School FAQ with a provocative title like "The New T14" or something.

I was going to goad people into responding by saying: "Will Yale fall to fifth, as many have predicted?" Forum posters can't help but tell people how wrong they are about things, right? I figure that would get the conversation going.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:23 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
whereskyle wrote:Start a thread in Law School FAQ with a provocative title like "The New T14" or something.

I was going to goad people into responding by saying: "Will Yale fall to fifth, as many have predicted?" Forum posters can't help but tell people how wrong they are about things, right? I figure that would get the conversation going.

You are exactly right.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:30 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:

You're over thinking this. If anything the schools that aren't in major markets will suffer e.g. Virginia, Duke, Michigan and Cornell. I don't think it's unlikely that Mich will/could be surpassed by Northwestern or Georgetown someday -- not saying I think this WILL happen, but this is the reason it would happen if it does

Northwestern will be fine

YouGoGlenCoCo

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:04 am

Just a heads up to all, NU posted a schedule for ASW today:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... 202014.pdf

One part I was not a fan of, "Participants will pay for their own lunch, not provided by the Law School."

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:11 am

YouGoGlenCoCo wrote:Just a heads up to all, NU posted a schedule for ASW today:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... 202014.pdf

One part I was not a fan of, "Participants will pay for their own lunch, not provided by the Law School."

That's because that lunch is in small groups with current students at different restaurants near the law school and isn't planned in advance by the school. The other meals are all covered I believe.

herrowww

Postby herrowww » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Waiting on pins and needles to hear about scholorship money... Are we thinking those emails will go out the last week of March?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:05 pm

There are so many reasons why this doesn't matter. For the foreseeable future NU and UChi will be the best schools in Chicago and will both have national reach with employers. Probably within our lifetime, there won't be a t-14 ranking, but some other thing...it'll look pretty much the same.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:06 pm

Have people received their scholarship offers? How long did it take after you got accepted?

lastsamurai

Postby lastsamurai » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:15 am

Pishee77 wrote:Have people received their scholarship offers? How long did it take after you got accepted?

No one has heard aside from ED I believe. Should be the end of March

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:40 pm

homestyle28 wrote:

There are so many reasons why this doesn't matter. For the foreseeable future NU and UChi will be the best schools in Chicago and will both have national reach with employers. Probably within our lifetime, there won't be a t-14 ranking, but some other thing...it'll look pretty much the same.

Your position that the quality of NUs education and the corresponding prestige will likely remain the same is probably true.
But that's not the same as saying that the rankings don't matter. If the administration did something stupid that resulted in the school dropping to 18th on USNWR, would your reaction be: "It really doesn't matter at all"?

bonerland

Postby bonerland » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Scholarship offers went out on the 24th of March last year, I believe.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Is anyone who is not a URM planning to attend the diverse ASW events? I will be arriving in town a little late for the events on Thursday, as I assumed that the events were not intended for non-URMs like myself. Now that I see the events are open and maybe even intended for non-URMs, I really want to take advantage of the opportunities. Do any URM applicants want to comment on your perceptions of having non-URMs at these events?

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”