Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
paglababa

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby paglababa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:22 pm

All the AJDs who filled out the need access - did you fill out one specifically for NU, or are you putting all your schools on one? Reason I ask is because some of the questions, i.e. when do you plan to graduate, or what kind of degree, differ for the AJD program vs a traditional 3 year program.

pompoms

Postby pompoms » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:29 pm

paglababa wrote:All the AJDs who filled out the need access - did you fill out one specifically for NU, or are you putting all your schools on one? Reason I ask is because some of the questions, i.e. when do you plan to graduate, or what kind of degree, differ for the AJD program vs a traditional 3 year program.

I did it for Northwestern only, so that I could put "Accelerated JD" and "2016" for the graduation year. That is also a useful way to do this because you can see which questions they actually elect to ask, i.e. questions about prior student loan debt has been removed from their version of the form, while other schools ask for those figures.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 pm

pompoms wrote:
paglababa wrote:All the AJDs who filled out the need access - did you fill out one specifically for NU, or are you putting all your schools on one? Reason I ask is because some of the questions, i.e. when do you plan to graduate, or what kind of degree, differ for the AJD program vs a traditional 3 year program.

I did it for Northwestern only, so that I could put "Accelerated JD" and "2016" for the graduation year. That is also a useful way to do this because you can see which questions they actually elect to ask, i.e. questions about prior student loan debt has been removed from their version of the form, while other schools ask for those figures.

Do you pay a seperate fee for each school if you do it this way?

hiphopopotamuss

Postby hiphopopotamuss » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 pm

deleted
Last edited by hiphopopotamuss on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:56 pm

pompoms wrote:

Gahhhh, derp. Did NOT change the graduation year to 2016 when I submitted for NU only... But I did pick AJD...

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Lots of AJD's on here which is exciting! Hello, hello! I'll try my best to answer the questions below.

Leo wrote:Okay I'll start us off. Do many 1Ls get summer associate positions? Are they meaningful? I ask because I'm considering the AJD program, which does not have a 1L summer, and I'm trying to determine how severe that particular disadvantage is.

Only a handful of 1Ls will land a biglaw 1L summer position. Of this handful, the majority of them will grab them through 1L Diversity Fellowships (which is much, much broader than just applying to URMs [basically anyone who is "committed" to diversity]). There will be others who land a 1L firm position that pays really well too (just not 3k/week well). The lack of 1L bigfirm/lifestyle firm positions for Northwestern students are also shared by the other schools in the T14. Check this thread for an idea of what it's like . . . ultimately it's pretty bleak.

Because SA positions are so rare they're hardly meaningful when it comes to Fall OCI (which, as you know, is most important). The general rule of thumb is to do any substantive legal work whatsoever so that you have something legal to talk about during your 20minute interview. I know plenty of students are who considering externing for a judge, looking at in-house positions, working for the government, and others doing public interest (non-profit legal organizations). None of these students are meaningfully disadvantaged for not having a 1L SA.

As an AJD I realize that you won't have that 1 summer of legal work. I can't tell you how recruiters/employers on the other side of the table are going to react to that during OCI. You'll need to talk to another AJD student. I'd imagine that it's definitely something that interviewers will understand. You're an AJD student. You didn't have time to waste 3 months working as a Research Assistant doing bitchwork for a professor. My gutfeeling says that this shouldn't disadvantage you in any way but I can't speak definitively on this.

Leo wrote:Also, how are the AJD students perceived by their 3-yr peers?

So AJDs start earlier than the JD students and so you'll get to know each other way before the JDs get to meet each other. Then - and this is weird - the AJD class is split up between the 4 different 1L sections (I think). Since you guys take some doctrinal classes during the summer you actually don't sit on all the 1L classes. Right now, for example, I had AJDs in my Criminal Law class last semester and I have AJDs in my Constitutional Law class this semester. I didn't have AJDs in my other classes (Contracts, Torts, Civil Procedure, Property). So AJD students are pretty different from JD students in that respect. You can't walk up to a AJD and exclaim, "oh may gahhhhd what section are you in?!" like you can a JD. But other than that I think the AJDs at our school are pretty awesome. Yeah, you miss out on that "section love" but it's definitely not hard to reach out and hang out with the 1Ls. At the end of the day we're all struggling through more or less the same classes.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:43 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Does Northwestern REALLY excel at getting you and your classmates into summer positions/post-grad employment in one particular area of practice? Do they absolutely bomb in any one area of practice?

I can't really answer this question. This is what I know: most firms that come during OCI won't hire you based on practice area. Most firms will either have a rotation based or free market assignment system that will allow you to test out all the different practice areas at their firm during your Summer Associate months before forcing you to commit (and then there are firms like Latham & Watkins that lets you be an "unassigned" associate for 2 years). I mean there are definitely some firms that come to OCI looking to hire SAs into a particular practice group (ex. McDermott Will & Emery). But I feel like this is more of an exception than the rule.

So, yeah. If you're talking about "area of practices" in context with private interest jobs then Northwestern's Career Services office will be focused on getting you a job. You, really, get to decide what kind of practice area you want to go into after/during your SA.

If you're talking much bigger picture (private interest v. public interest v. government v. clerkship) then I can't really help you here. I know the stereotype is that NU tends to favor private interest work over public interest work but I haven't seen the numbers (especially compared to other T14 schools) for me to actually say.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 pm

If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask them here or head on over to this thread. You'll get more opinions from other NU there students too. Feel free to PM me any sensitive questions too if you really are into one-guy-on-the-internet's random opinions.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:45 am

cookiejar1 wrote:Only a handful of 1Ls will land a 1L summer position.
[...]
Check this thread for an idea of what it's like . . . ultimately it's pretty bleak.

Yup, that was one of the prime drivers of my affinity for the AJD - just eliminate this wasted time.

cookiejar1 wrote:But other than that I think the AJDs at our school are pretty awesome. Yeah, you miss out on that "section love" but it's definitely not hard to reach out and hang out with the 1Ls. At the end of the day we're all struggling through more or less the same classes.

Good to hear - was also worried about possible negative social externalities of the program.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:20 pm

wojo98 wrote:
cookiejar1 wrote:Only a handful of 1Ls will land a 1L summer position.
[...]
Check this thread for an idea of what it's like . . . ultimately it's pretty bleak.

Yup, that was one of the prime drivers of my affinity for the AJD - just eliminate this wasted time.

cookiejar1 wrote:But other than that I think the AJDs at our school are pretty awesome. Yeah, you miss out on that "section love" but it's definitely not hard to reach out and hang out with the 1Ls. At the end of the day we're all struggling through more or less the same classes.

Good to hear - was also worried about possible negative social externalities of the program.

To play devil's advocate...I know a current NU student I chatted with via PM advised me to take the (hypothetical) money at NU and run, even over H, if biglaw was the endgame. But when I clarified that it was the AJD program, he back tracked. Seemed he wasn't so confident in the AJD program's job placement. I'm wondering if many of the regular NU class also seem to think this way...

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Current students can feel free to correct me, but what I've gathered so far is that AJD's do fine in job placement, but that's largely on the strength of their resumes before matriculating. I would imagine that if you know what type of jobs you'll be looking for and how you'll pitch your prior experience, being an AJD won't count against you at OCI's. If you don't have solid answers to those questions, the AJD program could put you at a disadvantage since you'll have substantially less law school under your belt.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:54 pm

paglababa wrote: Seemed he wasn't so confident in the AJD program's job placement.

Have yet to find/encounter any empirical data (beyond NU's published employment stats, which aren't adequately granular) to definitively put this issue to bed. Critical mass of anecdotal discussion on TLS re: the AJD seems to support the contrary - that BigLaw placement is comparable to that of the general NU class.

IMO - the stronger your WE, the more enticing the AJD is because 1) it will drive your recruiting disproportionately relative to other schools and 2) you can return to something lucrative (e.g. consulting, PE, etc.) in the worst case scenario (no BigLaw).

Tough decision, but a good problem to have. Curious to hear what you ultimately decide.

Leo

Postby Leo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Hey guys, let's move the AJD discussion over here. I have invited several current AJD students to answer our questions. Hopefully we'll get some responses.

YouGoGlenCoCo

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:15 pm

How long did it take for some of you guys to get this Admitted Student Portfolio thing in the mail? I was accepted 2/5 but still haven't received anything. After hearing what others have said in this thread I'm anxious to receive it.

Leo

Postby Leo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:How long did it take for some of you guys to get this Admitted Student Portfolio thing in the mail? I was accepted 2/5 but still haven't received anything. After hearing what others have said in this thread I'm anxious to receive it.

I got mine the next day, but I live in Chicago so that data point is completely useless. Sorry.

YouGoGlenCoCo

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Leo wrote:
Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:How long did it take for some of you guys to get this Admitted Student Portfolio thing in the mail? I was accepted 2/5 but still haven't received anything. After hearing what others have said in this thread I'm anxious to receive it.

I got mine the next day, but I live in Chicago so that data point is completely useless. Sorry.

Well that's not useless at all, that means yours was sent out immediately and you got it via normal shipping, which means despite me living in cali, I certainly should have received it by now.

Or maybe they're just personally walking each one to everyone's mailbox...

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:
Leo wrote:

Well that's not useless at all, that means yours was sent out immediately and you got it via normal shipping, which means despite me living in cali, I certainly should have received it by now.

I was in one of the first admit waves (submitted 10/7), and mine took a month or two, I think. The admissions office sends out waves of packets that Johann usually tweets about.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:
Leo wrote:

Took a while for me. I was in the very first wave and someone in NorCal received theirs a week before mine. I'm sure that it's coming.

wojo98

Postby wojo98 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:27 am

Re: financial aid forms -

Has anyone received confirmation that their completed NeedAccess form was successfully received? Received email notification re: my FAFSA, but radio silence re: NeedAccess (which makes me uneasy).

Leo

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:32 pm

wojo98 wrote:Re: financial aid forms -

Has anyone received confirmation that their completed NeedAccess form was successfully received? Received email notification re: my FAFSA, but radio silence re: NeedAccess (which makes me uneasy).

I did not receive confirmation for either...

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Dumb question: are any ED people filling out Need Access or anything? I sent in FAFSA and I'm thinking the supplemental scholarship app is not for us...

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Wildcats17 wrote:Dumb question: are any ED people filling out Need Access or anything? I sent in FAFSA and I'm thinking the supplemental scholarship app is not for us...

I filled out both. I think that it's required. I didn't answer the scholly questions.

Wildcats17

Postby Wildcats17 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:56 pm

whereskyle wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Dumb question: are any ED people filling out Need Access or anything? I sent in FAFSA and I'm thinking the supplemental scholarship app is not for us...

I filled out both. I think that it's required. I didn't answer the scholly questions.

Okay great, thank you

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I was also admitted ED and asked Admissions your same question. I was told that FAFSA and Need Access are only necessary if you need loans.

norkanite

Postby norkanite » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”