Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:29 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...


I'm not sure what the age is, but it's not until you're into your late 20s that they don't ask for parent information.

It's not ridiculous to think that even if they're not helping you, if things went horribly awry, they probably wouldn't let you live on the streets.


Yeah, it's the whole implicit guarantee/backing that wealthy parents provide that just isn't there for people with parents who have nothing.

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:31 pm

On another topic, I finally got around to filling out the scholarship form. It was surprisingly difficult to come up w/ 300-500 words on why I deserve merit aid. Not that I don't think I deserve it, but striking the right tone was tricky.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:46 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...

Are you sure NU was asking these questions and not one of the other schools? It says here that they do not ask for parent information, regardless of age or dependency status. I filled out the Need Access form with only NU selected, and I didn't see any parent info questions.

YouGoGlenCoCo
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...


I'm not sure what the age is, but it's not until you're into your late 20s that they don't ask for parent information.

It's not ridiculous to think that even if they're not helping you, if things went horribly awry, they probably wouldn't let you live on the streets.


You haven't met my mom!

norkanite
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby norkanite » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:59 pm

.
Last edited by norkanite on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Leo wrote:Just submitted my Need Access and FAFSA. Any idea how long I should expect to wait for scholly offer? AJD here.


Scholarship decisions are released in late March, I believe.

Edit: Correction, that's only regular JD's. AJD's receive preliminary scholly packages starting March 5.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... onaid/aid/


The Admissions Office will make notifications via email after the financial aid application
deadline.


I'm going to interpret this to mean that AJD's could start hearing back next week.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby midwest17 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Leo wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...

Are you sure NU was asking these questions and not one of the other schools? It says here that they do not ask for parent information, regardless of age or dependency status. I filled out the Need Access form with only NU selected, and I didn't see any parent info questions.


This. NU doesn't ask for parental info for anyone, and they don't look at it if provided. If you also have UCLA selected, then it's UCLA that's asking for the parental data.

(And, as other people have said, asking for parental data for people in their 20s isn't at all ridiculous.)

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:31 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Leo wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...

Are you sure NU was asking these questions and not one of the other schools? It says here that they do not ask for parent information, regardless of age or dependency status. I filled out the Need Access form with only NU selected, and I didn't see any parent info questions.


This. NU doesn't ask for parental info for anyone, and they don't look at it if provided. If you also have UCLA selected, then it's UCLA that's asking for the parental data.

(And, as other people have said, asking for parental data for people in their 20s isn't at all ridiculous.)


Submitted after removing all other schools from form. Thanks, Pom, for the advice.

I simply think NeedAccess makes it exceptionally difficult for people who have effectively (but not legally) been disowned by parents. We're not children fresh out of our parent's care.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm

On a brighter note: the admissions package is niiiiiccccceeeee. I think it's awesome that they seem to be trying so hard to help people relocate to the Chicago area.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm

On a brighter note: the admissions package is niiiiiccccceeeee. I think it's awesome that they seem to be trying so hard to help people relocate to the Chicago area.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Leo wrote:Just submitted my Need Access and FAFSA. Any idea how long I should expect to wait for scholly offer? AJD here.


Scholarship decisions are released in late March, I believe.

Edit: Correction, that's only regular JD's. AJD's receive preliminary scholly packages starting March 5.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... onaid/aid/


The Admissions Office will make notifications via email after the financial aid application
deadline.


I'm going to interpret this to mean that AJD's could start hearing back next week.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

That would be outstanding, but I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Last year, FA notifications were also scheduled to be released in late March, and they started trickling out on March 30. If they follow suit this year, we're looking at March 5 for AJD FA notifications.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Leo wrote:
mirroroferised7 wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Leo wrote:Just submitted my Need Access and FAFSA. Any idea how long I should expect to wait for scholly offer? AJD here.


Scholarship decisions are released in late March, I believe.

Edit: Correction, that's only regular JD's. AJD's receive preliminary scholly packages starting March 5.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... onaid/aid/


The Admissions Office will make notifications via email after the financial aid application
deadline.


I'm going to interpret this to mean that AJD's could start hearing back next week.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ctions.pdf

That would be outstanding, but I'm afraid I don't share your optimism. Last year, FA notifications were also scheduled to be released in late March, and they started trickling out on March 30. If they follow suit this year, we're looking at March 5 for AJD FA notifications.


I just want scholarship info. I think that will come before FA. And the two-week window between FA notifications, and the $750 (isn't this higher than most schools? I've usually seen $500ish) seat deposit deadline is moderately terrifying...

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 pm

I just want scholarship info. I think that will come before FA. And the two-week window between FA notifications, and the $750 (isn't this higher than most schools? I've usually seen $500ish) seat deposit deadline is moderately terrifying...

FA = merit scholly + need scholly + loan offer. That is, it all comes out at once. The two-week window is indeed moderately terrifying. Doesn't leave much time for negotiations.

NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby NYC-WVU » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:52 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:Submitted after removing all other schools from form. Thanks, Pom, for the advice.

I simply think NeedAccess makes it exceptionally difficult for people who have effectively (but not legally) been disowned by parents. We're not children fresh out of our parent's care.

I understand where you're coming from. I've been completely independent since getting my first job after graduating.
But I think, for most families, the financial status of parents and children is intertwined throughout their lives. On the most basic level, you are likely to inherit your parents wealth. Thus, if your parents have more assets than they could possible consume before death (let's say 5M), you will personally gain from having them not considered for aid. If wealthy parents can save 130K by having their child get a bunch of aid because the child is "poor," that 130K might be a nice 1M after 30 years (at 7%).
Basically, if your parents have lots of money and they wont help you with tuition, your beef should be with your parents, not with the school that is asking how rich your parents are.

That being said, I don't think middle-class parents should be financially burdened by their children forever, nor do I think the children should feel held down by their parent's financial contributions or lack thereof. On the other hand, I don't entirely understand the concept of "need-based" aid for professional or graduate school. If a student can't pay for school and doesn't want to borrow money, he/she can work for a while and save. There's no need to go to professional school at all. I guess the same could be said for undergraduate school, but I don't think it's quite the same thing.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:53 pm

AJD scholarship timeline info pulled from NU's instructions and the financial aid email sent last week:

SCHOLARSHIPS – The Admissions Office will make notifications via email after the financial aid application
deadline [Feb 15].

LOANS - All complete financial aid application will be reviewed in the order in which they are received. The Office of
Financial Aid, Chicago will send out preliminary financial aid packages via e-mail beginning March 5, 2014.
However, we will begin to notify students about their official financial aid packages beginning March 17, 2014.


Individuals will be notified of scholarships in early March.

Individuals will be notified of loan eligibility prior to the March 15 tuition deposit deadline.


Sounds like they're shooting for March 1st-5th. Judging by how busy admissions offices seem to be, however, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scholarship emails came a little later than March 5th. Hopefully, we'll all get them well in advance of the March 15 deposit deadline.

In other news, is there an ASW for AJD's before the deposit deadline? I'd love to see the campus and meet my fellow AJD admits.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 pm

Has anyone received confirmation from NU that his/her financial aid application materials were received? I submitted my FAFSAs and Need Access last week and haven't heard anything yet.

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:14 pm

Leo wrote:Has anyone received confirmation from NU that his/her financial aid application materials were received? I submitted my FAFSAs and Need Access last week and haven't heard anything yet.


Same here. I submitted mine last week and shortly afterwards, received their email with instructions for which forms to fill out. I was confused enough to log back onto need access and fafsa to double-check the submissions. They seemed to have been submitted, so I'm guessing NU doesn't send confirmation emails for those forms?

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:24 pm

kcdc1 wrote:
Leo wrote:Has anyone received confirmation from NU that his/her financial aid application materials were received? I submitted my FAFSAs and Need Access last week and haven't heard anything yet.


Same here. I submitted mine last week and shortly afterwards, received their email with instructions for which forms to fill out. I was confused enough to log back onto need access and fafsa to double-check the submissions. They seemed to have been submitted, so I'm guessing NU doesn't send confirmation emails for those forms?

Good to know. Once the forms have been submitted, can I make changes to them as necessary for other schools without NU getting some kind of update?

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kcdc1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Not sure. I submitted to NU first and then added a couple other schools, and I'm pretty sure NU got the update. I think there might have been an option to deselect NU for the second submission, but I don't remember for sure. I wouldn't stress it too much. NU knows you're applying to other schools, and I take them at their word that they won't consider my parent data.

User avatar
Leo
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby Leo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Any other AJD admits just get an email about the importance of connecting with current AJD students? I would really like the opportunity to do just that, but the email doesn't provide any contact info! :?

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Leo wrote:Any other AJD admits just get an email about the importance of connecting with current AJD students? I would really like the opportunity to do just that, but the email doesn't provide any contact info! :?


Bahahahaha! Literally just got on to point out the same thing.

we bet you have some questions and we are here to help.

Orly? Can I have some contact point then, please?

User avatar
pompoms
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby pompoms » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

mirroroferised7 wrote:
Leo wrote:Any other AJD admits just get an email about the importance of connecting with current AJD students? I would really like the opportunity to do just that, but the email doesn't provide any contact info! :?


Bahahahaha! Literally just got on to point out the same thing.

we bet you have some questions and we are here to help.

Orly? Can I have some contact point then, please?


Haha glad we're all on the same page with that one.. I think I read it 6 times.

Here is the contact info for one AJD (bottom of the page): http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... iting/sac/

kcdc1
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 am

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby kcdc1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:29 pm

Count me in the above group.

My process went a little like so:

(1) Gee, I'm really interested in the AJD program and I'd love to connect with some current AJD students to learn more about it.
(2) What fortune! Here is an email from current AJD students offering to help me learn about the program!
(3) Alright, sign me up. Now where is that contact info?
(4) Oh, there is no contact info in this email. That can't be right. Let me check again.
(5) No, there really is no contact info in this email. Well, maybe I could just hit reply.....
(6) Oh, it was sent from the general admissions email address.... via techsolutions.net because why not?
(7) ......
(8) Profit

Joking aside, I hope we do get info about an ASW or student contact or Q&A soonish.

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:36 pm

kcdc1 wrote:Count me in the above group.

My process went a little like so:

(1) Gee, I'm really interested in the AJD program and I'd love to connect with some current AJD students to learn more about it.
(2) What fortune! Here is an email from current AJD students offering to help me learn about the program!
(3) Alright, sign me up. Now where is that contact info?
(4) Oh, there is no contact info in this email. That can't be right. Let me check again.
(5) No, there really is no contact info in this email. Well, maybe I could just hit reply.....
(6) Oh, it was sent from the general admissions email address.... via techsolutions.net because why not?
(7) ......
(8) Profit

Joking aside, I hope we do get info about an ASW or student contact or Q&A soonish.


This seems to be their version of an AJD ASW?

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... openhouse/

WHY does it have to be the weekend I'm in LA?

User avatar
mirroroferised7
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:37 pm

Also, since I'm going to be in LA that weekend, AND I live in Chicago... what do you think admission's reaction would be to me asking if it was possible for them to help me get in touch with an AJD student to talk to them about the program?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest