Northwestern Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
pompoms

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Postby pompoms » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Checking in - AJD admit. On both the "waiting to hear about a scholarship before deciding" and "I would prefer to share an apt with some awesome people" teams! They go together :)

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I just found this student housing survey on the NU law website:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... Survey.pdf

It has lots of good info about where most students live, the percentage of students who have roommates, and some neighborhood descriptions.

Pishee77

Postby Pishee77 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Checking in!

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 pm

AJD Checking in!

Very, very interested in my scholarship offer before deciding. I am actually a Chicago native, and have a second bedroom that might be available if NU swings a 100k my way.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:AJD Checking in!

Very, very interested in my scholarship offer before deciding. I am actually a Chicago native, and have a second bedroom that might be available if NU swings a 100k my way.

First of all, great HP quote. Second of all, let me know 'bout dat bedroom, if the $ comes your way.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:16 am

Aww crap. I wish I would have read Johann's tumblr before completing my financial aid forms.

Johann wrote:(In regards to interviews)
DON’T: Give the following answers without in depth elaboration or in isolation without other reasons: 1) Low faculty-student ratio; 2) National reputation; 3) the location.

I didn't say them without elaboration, but I definitely mentioned the school's reputation and location in my scholarship app essay.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:47 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:Aww crap. I wish I would have read Johann's tumblr before completing my financial aid forms.

DON’T: Give the following answers without in depth elaboration or in isolation without other reasons: 1) Low faculty-student ratio; 2) National reputation; 3) the location.

I didn't say them without elaboration, but I definitely mentioned the school's reputation and location in my scholarship app essay.

Maybe you made one point that will really standout

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 am

whereskyle wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Aww crap. I wish I would have read Johann's tumblr before completing my financial aid forms.

Maybe you made one point that will really standout

Thanks for the reassuring sentiment, but I'm pretty sure Johann is going to spit on me during ASW. :)

NYC-WVU

Postby NYC-WVU » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:I just found this student housing survey on the NU law website:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... Survey.pdf

It has lots of good info about where most students live, the percentage of students who have roommates, and some neighborhood descriptions.

Great find. This survey has tons of interesting information. The reference to a "school-provided CTA pass" particularly caught my eye. If I was looking for housing I would definitely consider it all in detail, and I think it's interesting even if you're not looking for housing.

YouGoGlenCoCo

Postby YouGoGlenCoCo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Checking in - just got the email 8 minutes ago :)

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:19 pm

Richard.Thaddaeus wrote:Checking in - just got the email 8 minutes ago :)

Congrats! We're a quiet group for now.... Should get livelier when scholarship offers start to come in next month.

tigress12

Postby tigress12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Checking in!

Happily received the acceptance email tonight :)

Leo

Postby Leo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:18 am

Just submitted my Need Access and FAFSA. Any idea how long I should expect to wait for scholly offer? AJD here.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 am

Leo wrote:Just submitted my Need Access and FAFSA. Any idea how long I should expect to wait for scholly offer? AJD here.

Scholarship decisions are released in late March, I believe.

Edit: Correction, that's only regular JD's. AJD's receive preliminary scholly packages starting March 5.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... onaid/aid/

pompoms

Postby pompoms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:22 am

So, I am AJD and looking at the financial aid page it looks like we need to fill out 1 Need Access and 2 FAFSAs. I am pretty much done with those, but I see that a few regular JDs are mentioning a scholarship essay.

Is there a form that you all received separately in order to complete this? Are any AJDs filling this out? Even if we're not expected to, can we? This may be a call to the Admissions Office, but I just wanted to see what you all thought first.

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 am

pompoms wrote:So, I am AJD and looking at the financial aid page it looks like we need to fill out 1 Need Access and 2 FAFSAs. I am pretty much done with those, but I see that a few regular JDs are mentioning a scholarship essay.

Is there a form that you all received separately in order to complete this? Are any AJDs filling this out? Even if we're not expected to, can we? This may be a call to the Admissions Office, but I just wanted to see what you all thought first.

The essays we're talking about are on the Scholarship Supplemental Application. It looks like it's a requirement for us, but not AJD's. We also only have to fill out one FAFSA, and only if we want loan consideration.

paglababa

Postby paglababa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:08 pm

pompoms wrote:So, I am AJD and looking at the financial aid page it looks like we need to fill out 1 Need Access and 2 FAFSAs. I am pretty much done with those, but I see that a few regular JDs are mentioning a scholarship essay.

Interested too. Can you let me know the outcome if you call?

kcdc1

Postby kcdc1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 pm

I explored the admitted students website--I'm pretty sure that AJD's don't have to fill out that essay to apply for scholarships. The process is slightly different for AJD's and JD's. We do an extra FAFSA and have earlier deadlines, but we don't get the prompt to discuss our position for merit aid. Maybe because there are fewer AJD's to consider, the essay component is unnecessary? If you do call, I'd be curious to hear about the response.

pompoms

Postby pompoms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

kcdc1 wrote:I explored the admitted students website--I'm pretty sure that AJD's don't have to fill out that essay to apply for scholarships. The process is slightly different for AJD's and JD's. We do an extra FAFSA and have earlier deadlines, but we don't get the prompt to discuss our position for merit aid. Maybe because there are fewer AJD's to consider, the essay component is unnecessary? If you do call, I'd be curious to hear about the response.

Yup, I'll call tomorrow and will report back.

omzster67

Postby omzster67 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:32 am

Checking in! Found out last night!

Ricky-Bobby

Postby Ricky-Bobby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 am

omzster67 wrote:Checking in! Found out last night!

Told ya! Congrats!

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Anyone have advice on how to write the "evaluate your standing for merit aid" question in a way that doesn't come off as self-aggrandizing?

scorneli

Postby scorneli » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 pm

midwest17 wrote:Anyone have advice on how to write the "evaluate your standing for merit aid" question in a way that doesn't come off as self-aggrandizing?

This post is relevant to my interests. I'd like to see some discussion as well.

I would say self-aggrandize all day, just remember to qualify it with the knowledge that you are entering an extremely talented pool of individuals. That way you can list your achievements in a somewhat humbling cloak of self-awareness.

mirroroferised7

Postby mirroroferised7 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:23 pm

So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...

barrelofmonkeys

Postby barrelofmonkeys » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:26 pm

mirroroferised7 wrote:So... Filling out Need Access, and it wouldn't let me submit the application until I filled in parent information...

I'm filling out the application for UCLA, and a couple of other schools at the same time.

I'm 24 and haven't been a dependent for the past 3 years. Why do I need parent information? Am I missing some box that I have to check so I don't have to have my parent fill out this completely useless information? This seems a bit ridiculous...

I'm not sure what the age is, but it's not until you're into your late 20s that they don't ask for parent information.

It's not ridiculous to think that even if they're not helping you, if things went horribly awry, they probably wouldn't let you live on the streets.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”