Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
UserNameHere

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by UserNameHere » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

GPA and LSAT both around 50th percentile; interviewed early Nov.; application complete 12/10.

Today was an absolutely insane day at work. Tough meetings, tedious assignments, flurry of stuff thrown onto my desk all of the sudden, hardly ate a thing all day. I was as miserable as I can remember being in a long time.

5:41 PM, I get an email from Stephen C. Dale. Subject: "Northwestern Law - Application Status." I figure: this must be the waitlist.

The Dale email says "The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application." Your letter will be available at 6 PM.

Seriously? You're going to toy with me like that for 19 minutes? By the way, I hadn't looked at TLS or status checker all day. I didn't have a second to spare.

I actually wasn't even going to look. Literally, I just wanted to get done with my work and get home -- where I happen to have more nitty gritty busy work to take care of. Guhhh.

6:03 rolls around and I just think, "how can I not?" I follow the link, only to realize I need my LSAC number -- such a pain this LSAC number. It takes about 15 seconds to get the LSAC number, but I never really had those 15 seconds to spare. I enter it in and buffering. . . . buffering. . . . still buffering. Then it pops up. . . .

I read the first word and I slowly slink down into my chair so as not to be seen by my co-workers . . . . and then I give the biggest silent fist pump ever!!!!!

My neck hurts, I'm still so so hungry, my apartment is a pig sty, I'm still wearing my work clothes, and I don't even know if I actually want to attend yet, but I am SO FREAKING HAPPY TO BE CHECKING IN TO NORTHWESTERN C/O 2017!!!!!

HOS

Bronze

Post by HOS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 pm

UserNameHere wrote:GPA and LSAT both around 50th percentile; interviewed early Nov.; application complete 12/10.

Today was an absolutely insane day at work. Tough meetings, tedious assignments, flurry of stuff thrown onto my desk all of the sudden, hardly ate a thing all day. I was as miserable as I can remember being in a long time.

5:41 PM, I get an email from Stephen C. Dale. Subject: "Northwestern Law - Application Status." I figure: this must be the waitlist.

The Dale email says "The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application." Your letter will be available at 6 PM.

Seriously? You're going to toy with me like that for 19 minutes? By the way, I hadn't looked at TLS or status checker all day. I didn't have a second to spare.

I actually wasn't even going to look. Literally, I just wanted to get done with my work and get home -- where I happen to have more nitty gritty busy work to take care of. Guhhh.

6:03 rolls around and I just think, "how can I not?" I follow the link, only to realize I need my LSAC number -- such a pain this LSAC number. It takes about 15 seconds to get the LSAC number, but I never really had those 15 seconds to spare. I enter it in and buffering. . . . buffering. . . . still buffering. Then it pops up. . . .

I read the first word and I slowly slink down into my chair so as not to be seen by my co-workers . . . . and then I give the biggest silent fist pump ever!!!!!

My neck hurts, I'm still so so hungry, my apartment is a pig sty, I'm still wearing my work clothes, and I don't even know if I actually want to attend yet, but I am SO FREAKING HAPPY TO BE CHECKING IN TO NORTHWESTERN C/O 2017!!!!!
Epic! Congratulations!

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 pm

UserNameHere wrote:GPA and LSAT both around 50th percentile; interviewed early Nov.; application complete 12/10.

Great story. Congrats :)

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 pm

chneyo wrote:Checking in. :D Congrats to all the new admits today!!
ilu

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:27 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
midwest17 wrote:Checking in! Excited to have this option, I would love to be in Chicago.
Congrats, btw!
Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

This made me smile - I can totally relate. Congrats!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Has anyone started the scholarship form?

I was a little thrown by these two prompts we have to answer:

Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)

Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

Specifically the second one. What the heck does that mean, "assess your position for merit aid," do they want me to tell them how awesome I am and beg for money?

I'm just not sure what exactly they're looking for here.

scorneli

New

Post by scorneli » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 pm

I was quite blunt and honest with them in my response to the prompts. I compared myself as best I could to what I expect the average matriculant will look like. From there I assessed the merit aid I thought I deserved or did not deserve in relation to my peers. Perhaps building myself up would have been better, haha.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:45 pm

scorneli wrote:I was quite blunt and honest with them in my response to the prompts. I compared myself as best I could to what I expect the average matriculant will look like. From there I assessed the merit aid I thought I deserved or did not deserve in relation to my peers. Perhaps building myself up would have been better, haha.
Did you talk in specific dollar amounts?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 pm

lawschool22 wrote:Has anyone started the scholarship form?

Please describe in detail how Northwestern Law will uniquely help you reach your short-term and long-term career goals. (300-500 words)

Northwestern Law administers an extensive program of scholarships and grants, all of which are awarded on a combined basis of merit and financial need. Please assess your position for merit aid and discuss your financial need for aid. (300-500 words)

Specifically the second one. What the heck does that mean, "assess your position for merit aid," do they want me to tell them how awesome I am and beg for money?

Advice from watching three cycles now of admits... NU seriously cares about the fin aid essay questions. Yes, build yourself up. Make yourself sound worthy and deserving and awesome and likely to go far in the one essay, and let them know that you really want to go there but it's financially tough because...in the other essay. Make it clear that you thought about your answers and cared to put in a good effort writing them. Johann has legit gotten annoyed at people who just phoned it in.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Advice from watching three cycles now of admits... NU seriously cares about the fin aid essay questions. Yes, build yourself up. Make yourself sound worthy and deserving and awesome and likely to go far in the one essay, and let them know that you really want to go there but it's financially tough because...in the other essay. Make it clear that you thought about your answers and cared to put in a good effort writing them. Johann has legit gotten annoyed at people who just phoned it in.
Thanks! What about specific dollar amounts? Or should I just follow the age old negotiating advice and let the other guy make the first offer?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:14 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Thanks! What about specific dollar amounts? Or should I just follow the age old negotiating advice and let the other guy make the first offer?
I think using dollar amounts would just be awkward.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
lawschool22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I think using dollar amounts would just be awkward.
That's what I thought as well but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

scorneli

New

Post by scorneli » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:51 pm

Anyone have an idea of the timetable we're working with re: financial aid offers? When do you think the notification process will start?

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:12 pm

scorneli wrote:Anyone have an idea of the timetable we're working with re: financial aid offers? When do you think the notification process will start?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... x.html#q10

scorneli

New

Post by scorneli » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:31 pm

midwest17 wrote:
scorneli wrote:Anyone have an idea of the timetable we're working with re: financial aid offers? When do you think the notification process will start?
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... x.html#q10
Thanks!

Magnalum

New

Post by Magnalum » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:17 am

Last edited by Magnalum on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AAJD2B

Silver

Post by AAJD2B » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Any NYers in here? If so, are you planning to visit? So far, tickets are fairly reasonable.

Can anyone comment on which airport is the closest and the best way to get to NU from the nearest airport? Is there any train I can jump on?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Can anyone comment on which airport is the closest and the best way to get to NU from the nearest airport? Is there any train I can jump on?
Midway and O'Hare are about essentially equidistant from NU and both have subway lines that go into the city (called the "L" or CTA in Chicago). Fly to whichever one provides the best flight. I've found that the L is best and often the fastest way to get to either airport. You can use the public transit option on google maps to tell you where to transfer.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:18 pm

AAJD2B wrote:Any NYers in here? If so, are you planning to visit? So far, tickets are fairly reasonable.

Can anyone comment on which airport is the closest and the best way to get to NU from the nearest airport? Is there any train I can jump on?
I'm an NYer living in DC, who also lived 7 years in Chicago. Honestly, the L is a bit of a pain and the train itself doesn't exactly stop close to the school. But cabs will cost you a good bit.

Mullens is right that the airports are about equidistant (Midway is closer, but they're both about 1/2 hour by cab). Cab is definitely the most convenient way to get to the school, but it isn't cheap.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:54 pm

From the loop, both airports are an easy L ride (Orange line to Midway, Blue line to O'Hare). The airports are both the last stops on the lines. Midway is probably 10 minutes shorter ride in a taxi or 15-20 minutes faster on the L. You'll have to change to the Red line in the loop, or catch a bus, from the Loop to get nearer the NU campus. Google maps on your phone is incredibly useful for navigating the CTA.

Taxi between NU and Midway, around $38+tip. NU-O'Hare is a few bucks more. Taxis depend on traffic a LOT. Obviously hauling luggage on the L is a pain but more consistent in travel time and a lot cheaper. I ride the L if I only have one bag, and it's daylight (or at least not past dinner time). Both lines go through some iffy areas (Orange line in particular), but on the train is fine. If it's late or early or I have more bags, I take a taxi.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:15 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
AAJD2B wrote:Any NYers in here? If so, are you planning to visit? So far, tickets are fairly reasonable.

I'm an NYer living in DC, who also lived 7 years in Chicago. Honestly, the L is a bit of a pain and the train itself doesn't exactly stop close to the school. But cabs will cost you a good bit.

Mullens is right that the airports are about equidistant (Midway is closer, but they're both about 1/2 hour by cab). Cab is definitely the most convenient way to get to the school, but it isn't cheap.
My commute from O'Hare to my apartment is not the same as going to the law school, but it's similar. I often take the L as far as it will get me, and then I take a cab the rest of the way, i.e., instead of a bus. Regardless of cost, this is my preferred method of commuting to and from airports between 6am and 11pm on weekdays or 10am and 11pm on weekends (unless I have serious luggage).
I also think the train ride from O'Hare to the loop is significantly less sketchy than the ride from Midway to the loop - mostly because the O'Hare train (blue line) almost always has a few people on it, whereas the Midway train (orange line) can be very very empty. That sketchy dude is a lot scarier when no one else is around.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
UserNameHere wrote:

My commute from O'Hare to my apartment is not the same as going to the law school, but it's similar. I often take the L as far as it will get me, and then I take a cab the rest of the way, i.e., instead of a bus. Regardless of cost, this is my preferred method of commuting to and from airports between 6am and 11pm on weekdays or 10am and 11pm on weekends (unless I have serious luggage).
I also think the train ride from O'Hare to the loop is significantly less sketchy than the ride from Midway to the loop - mostly because the O'Hare train (blue line) almost always has a few people on it, whereas the Midway train (orange line) can be very very empty. That sketchy dude is a lot scarier when no one else is around.
I second just about all of this from my own experience. Disclosure: I've never taken the L from Midway to downtown, but this seems entirely believable. :shock:

Edit: Another question, does anybody here have any strong opinions on NU's career/employment prospects. ATL and LST give it pretty bleak reviews, but NLJ seems more bullish (although I can't access the Go-To rankings -- weird). Word on career services seems very mixed. If there is a current student perusing this thread or if anybody knows of a good thread that discusses it, would love to find a little bit of a clearer opinion. I love NU, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about this.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:49 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:
UserNameHere wrote:

I second just about all of this from my own experience. Disclosure: I've never taken the L from Midway to downtown, but this seems entirely believable. :shock:
there have always been 5-10 other people from the airport that get on a car of the L together when I've flown it, even at ~8 at night. there are more during the day obv. almost everyone gets off at the roosevelt stop together to transfer to the red line or at the first stop in the loop.

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:there have always been 5-10 other people from the airport that get on a car of the L together when I've flown it, even at ~8 at night. there are more during the day obv. almost everyone gets off at the roosevelt stop together to transfer to the red line or at the first stop in the loop.
This is a good point, if you're getting on at Midway it's probably fine. I've only been on an empty train going to Midway. But it's probably not really relevant. Unless you are going to take Southwest, there are so many more flights between O'Hare and LGA/JFK that it's almost always much cheaper. I'm from NY and fly back and forth maybe 6 times a year and I can't even remember the last time Midway came up in a search.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”