Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:02 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:If anyone is at ASW and has the schedule of events, can you check the listing for the school tours this afternoon (at 3:30) and tell me whether it says just "campus tour" or "tour of campus and surrounding area" or anything like that? I'm in class and I will barely have enough time to get where I need to go to lead a tour, and if I need to run downstairs to grab my coat I will need to leave class early.
There is a "Student-Guided Tour of the Law School" and "StudentSpace Guided Tour of Streeterville Housing."

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm

gimmedanger wrote:can you have a car in chicago or is it a giant hassle?

Things that make it possible
-free street parking in neighborhoods?
-free parking spot with rental?

mostly those 2 things. affordable monthly parking would be okay too.

I am not an everyday driver and would use transit to commute to school. The car would be more for weekends/groceries/needing to get out of the city
Streeterville, lolno. Parking is $200-300+/mo in the big apartment highrises.

Some other neighborhoods require street parking permits, which are cheap, but that means you're probably in an area where street parking can be hard to find at busy times (evenings/weekends/game days/etc.)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If anyone is at ASW and has the schedule of events, can you check the listing for the school tours this afternoon (at 3:30) and tell me whether it says just "campus tour" or "tour of campus and surrounding area" or anything like that? I'm in class and I will barely have enough time to get where I need to go to lead a tour, and if I need to run downstairs to grab my coat I will need to leave class early.
There is a "Student-Guided Tour of the Law School" and "StudentSpace Guided Tour of Streeterville Housing."
Thanks. I will assume it's just the school buildings, then, and if it turns out I have to show people the neighborhood I'll take my tour group past the lockers. :P

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm not able to attend ASW, but I'm sure everyone else in the same boat would really appreciate any photos taken of the campus and facilities. :wink:

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm attending tomorrow for ASW. What's the norm for attire? I saw on the facebook page people were saying that it's just casual (e.g. jeans and a nice shirt). But can anyone who was there today confirm that? I just don't want to be the only one who shows up in jeans! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Hitchensian wrote:I'm attending tomorrow for ASW. What's the norm for attire? I saw on the facebook page people were saying that it's just casual (e.g. jeans and a nice shirt). But can anyone who was there today confirm that? I just don't want to be the only one who shows up in jeans! Thanks!
Casual. Jeans and a nice shirt are fine.

Don't wear purple. Trying too hard.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
gimmedanger wrote:can you have a car in chicago or is it a giant hassle?

Things that make it possible
-free street parking in neighborhoods?
-free parking spot with rental?

mostly those 2 things. affordable monthly parking would be okay too.

I am not an everyday driver and would use transit to commute to school. The car would be more for weekends/groceries/needing to get out of the city
Streeterville, lolno. Parking is $200-300+/mo in the big apartment highrises.

Some other neighborhoods require street parking permits, which are cheap, but that means you're probably in an area where street parking can be hard to find at busy times (evenings/weekends/game days/etc.)
^ yeah, it's going to cost you in Streeterville. I paid $250 for parking. However, if you just want it on weekends or every now and then, my apt had a row of available Zipcars. I think most of the local apartments do, so you can just rent a Zipcar :D Idk where you wanted to live, but if you live in Streeterville you can walk to a couple of grocery stores (Treasure Island, Whole Foods, etc). Parking in Chicago is generally very expensive. If you live further away, it gets cheaper. Some people in Lincoln Park pay $100-150.

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Hitchensian wrote:I'm attending tomorrow for ASW. What's the norm for attire? I saw on the facebook page people were saying that it's just casual (e.g. jeans and a nice shirt). But can anyone who was there today confirm that? I just don't want to be the only one who shows up in jeans! Thanks!

^ Bahaha. This <3 :lol:

janetdoe

New

Post by janetdoe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
janetdoe wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:Anyone else in RB150 for M&A? A few of the people in here look like TLSers.
how can you tell what a TLS-er looks like? o_O
How can you not?
o_o! i can't tell what a TLS-er looks like! teach me your ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Ha! Duly noted! I'll see you tomorrow. And it'll be a blue shirt ;)

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm

It's a little late for this advice but I thought it was super easy to take the blue line from O'Hare to Chicago and then take the 66 down Chicago ave basically right to Northwestern. I really loved Chicago and coming from Boston, was very pleased with public transit.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Hope y'all enjoyed your weekend! I weirdly didn't meet a single admit.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:36 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Hope y'all enjoyed your weekend! I weirdly didn't meet a single admit.
I met a bunch, they were great. For those of you on the fence choose wisely!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Hope y'all enjoyed your weekend! I weirdly didn't meet a single admit.
Thanks! It's definitely going to be a tough decision.

This may be a strange/stupid question, but how many of the 1L classes are in the classrooms with windows vs. the ones without, and/or Lincoln hall? I know it is stupid, and I am definitely not hinging my decision on this, but many of the classrooms felt like big black boxes to me. I really enjoyed the ones with windows and natural light streaming in, so I was just curious!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:46 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Thanks! It's definitely going to be a tough decision.

This may be a strange/stupid question, but how many of the 1L classes are in the classrooms with windows vs. the ones without, and/or Lincoln hall? I know it is stupid, and I am definitely not hinging my decision on this, but many of the classrooms felt like big black boxes to me. I really enjoyed the ones with windows and natural light streaming in, so I was just curious!
There's no classes as far as I know in Lincoln hall since there are no outlets for computers. Some 1L classes are in RB 140 and similar no-window classes, but some are in RB 339 which is a fantastic classroom surrounded by windows on two walls and overlooking the lake. I would say as far as my experience, though, more classes are in "big black boxes" than not.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:56 pm

Two (RB175, RB180) of the five main 1L classrooms have windows in the back of the room, plus RB339 which isn't big enough for a full section but you might have for CLR. However, RB175 & 180 have two sets of shades that can be lowered (transparent and opaque) so sometimes they'll be down when you come into the room and the prof probably won't care enough to change them.

You really won't care, though. When you need light/a view, go study in the library. My favorite big classroom is RB150 and it has no windows. But its layout is the best and it has the good chairs. RB339 with the windows (and good chairs) is nice, but sometimes the glare just makes it hard to see your laptop screen.

More seminar classrooms have windows (in McCormick and Levy Mayer). Lincoln Hall is not used for regular classes, although you might have a makeup class in there. The smaller version above it, Booth Hall, is used for classes (I've had it twice). It's really not that bad except when the heat is going nuts and you have to open the ancient windows or die of suffocation. Just make sure your laptop battery is charged. Those old rooms actually have good acoustics, and they have natural light and those pretty stained glass.

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:57 pm

Marshmallow wrote:It's a little late for this advice but I thought it was super easy to take the blue line from O'Hare to Chicago and then take the 66 down Chicago ave basically right to Northwestern. I really loved Chicago and coming from Boston, was very pleased with public transit.
Did you not ride the blue line on Saturday? The shuttle-bus-around-construction was quite annoying. I realize this isn't the norm, but I made the O'hare to NU and back again trip twice yesterday and dreaded the transfer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:22 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:It's a little late for this advice but I thought it was super easy to take the blue line from O'Hare to Chicago and then take the 66 down Chicago ave basically right to Northwestern. I really loved Chicago and coming from Boston, was very pleased with public transit.
Did you not ride the blue line on Saturday? The shuttle-bus-around-construction was quite annoying. I realize this isn't the norm, but I made the O'hare to NU and back again trip twice yesterday and dreaded the transfer.

The transfer sucked, but I hear CTA plans rail maintenance for the weekends. I enjoyed most everyone I met this weekend, and I hope you all choose NU as I have. A show at Second City last night really put some icing on my weekend cake.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:16 am

Ricky-Bobby wrote:
hmm... I only did the blue line to/from O'Hare on Friday morning and Sunday morning. I did not deal with any sort of shuttle-bus-around-construction situation. Guess I got lucky

eta: On Sunday morning, I was leaving from the Belmont blue line station... maybe this had something to do with something

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:27 am

Marshmallow wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:
hmm... I only did the blue line to/from O'Hare on Friday morning and Sunday morning. I did not deal with any sort of shuttle-bus-around-construction situation. Guess I got lucky

eta: On Sunday morning, I was leaving from the Belmont blue line station... maybe this had something to do with something
I only had trouble on Saturday morning. Track problems were between damen and western. (Looking to live around logan square for proximity to childhood friends and that $450/room rent.)

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am

Marshmallow wrote:
Ricky-Bobby wrote:

That would do it, then. Like Kyle said, the construction was between Damen and Western, and they only worked over the weekend. Friday it was open, and going from Belmont to O'Hare on Sunday would have put you past the relevant section. Lucky duck. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kathj06

Bronze

Post by kathj06 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 am

How did people like ASW? I'm visiting campus on Thursday before U Chi ASW, but not sure if a tour/class visit will be enough to get a sense of the place.

alabamF2

New

Post by alabamF2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 pm

kathj06 wrote:How did people like ASW? I'm visiting campus on Thursday before U Chi ASW, but not sure if a tour/class visit will be enough to get a sense of the place.
I did a tour when visiting for an interview a while back. It was just me that day for the tour, so I got a private one hour tour through the law building from 12 to 1PM. I thought it gave me a good sense of the energy/liveliness of the law school as well as the facilities (Excellent overall). This is all to say that I think a tour can be enough to get a sense of the place.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:29 pm

No one took any photos?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:33 pm

d cooper wrote:No one took any photos?
I just looked through my phone pictures. I took literally two the entire weekend, and both are blocked by people's heads. Maybe I was drunk the whole time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”