Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by Foghornleghorn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:37 pm

This can be infuriating when the entire gym is empty except for the one dude who needs to spend 90 minutes to do 3 sets.

What I feared, but I'll manage. Good to know there's a dive nearby.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 pm

feralinfant wrote: the go to bar for people at school is timmy o'tooles which is fine has decent food, wide beer selection and televisions. Streeters is a little farther away but a much better bar for hanging out at in my opinion but i really like dives.
But 20% off of drinks at D4, bro.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:49 am

O'Tooles kitchen is also open ridiculously late I'm pretty sure I've ordered an overcooked greasy delicious burger at like pushing closer to 2:30a

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:59 am

Just popped off the WL at McClurg and looks like that's where I'll live starting August. Pretty excited that things are moving right along!

futurelawstudent14

New

Post by futurelawstudent14 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 pm

The pre-matriculation guide is up on the admitted student website :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 am

For those who submitted for scholarship reconsideration, how long was your essay? I don't really see that more than a couple paragraphs is needed, so long as you show a genuine interest in the school.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am

cookiejar1 wrote:
feralinfant wrote: the go to bar for people at school is timmy o'tooles which is fine has decent food, wide beer selection and televisions. Streeters is a little farther away but a much better bar for hanging out at in my opinion but i really like dives.
But 20% off of drinks at D4, bro.
O'Toole's also has an NU discount if you think to ask. I think it's 10% but I don't really remember.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:14 am

Fellow NU matriculants...

Since LS22 is Harvard bound, he has given me the OP for this thread. I've put a few updates into the OP, including some dates and links. I plan on keeping the updates coming so it can be a decent resource for us as well as future classes.

Also, there's a new poll up!

So, go check out the OP and think of what else you'd like to see there. Let me know what you want me to add, and I'll take care of it!

scorneli

New

Post by scorneli » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Soco Law wrote:Fellow NU matriculants...

Since LS22 is Harvard bound, he has given me the OP for this thread. I've put a few updates into the OP, including some dates and links. I plan on keeping the updates coming so it can be a decent resource for us as well as future classes.

Also, there's a new poll up!

So, go check out the OP and think of what else you'd like to see there. Let me know what you want me to add, and I'll take care of it!
Thanks for the updates! Getting excited to move and meet everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

futurelawstudent14

New

Post by futurelawstudent14 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Any good thai food places near the school? And I read somewhere food trucks are nearby? Any good options with that?

Edit: hence lunchtime

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:46 pm

futurelawstudent14 wrote:Any good thai food places near the school? And I read somewhere food trucks are nearby? Any good options with that?

I don't know if Dao is thai, but they have thai whatever that means :D

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:50 pm

futurelawstudent14 wrote:Any good thai food places near the school? And I read somewhere food trucks are nearby? Any good options with that?

IMO Best Thai place around is Silver Spoon, on Rush St. in between Superior and Huron. A bit of a walk, but worth it. They also deliver, too.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:52 pm

There are a couple of trucks (pasta truck is pretty reliable), but I believe Chicago has laws against cooking in the trucks (thanks to political pressure from restaurants), so the food truck scene is pretty limited.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:20 pm

The hospital pavilion has Greek, protein bar, and a few other places. There are actually a fair amount of food trucks in chicago but they tend to stick to the loop and the Uchicago area, where parking is easier for them.

ETA: I just reread and saw you said Thai, not just food. I'm leaving the above because hell, I took the time to write it on my phone. Silver spoon is credited near school. dao makes my taste buds sad. Pho hot and spicy or In-on Thai are good for going further afield (dinner options).

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:41 pm

We had a Mac n Cheese and Cheesie's truck visit towards the end of last semester (thanks to the vigilant effort of our SBA VP). The Mac n Cheese truck stayed for a few days, but apparently neither did well so they're not likely to come back.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:44 pm

The Mac n Cheese truck was awesome, but I just have to give a shout out to the jamaican (I think) jerk chicken truck.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm

zugzwanger wrote:The Mac n Cheese truck was awesome, but I just have to give a shout out to the jamaican (I think) jerk chicken truck.
I wasn't on campus at lunchtime much this year but yeah, the jerk chicken was legit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Any advice on housing? I'm looking for a studio in the 1000-1300 range thats relatively detached from the streeterville area but not much more than a 20min trip to campus via bus/train/metro. I liked the lincoln park area, but the options I'm coming up with there seem like they would be about a 30min ride (which is doable, but I might like something closer).

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:10 pm

furrrman wrote:Any advice on housing? I'm looking for a studio in the 1000-1300 range thats relatively detached from the streeterville area but not much more than a 20min trip to campus via bus/train/metro. I liked the lincoln park area, but the options I'm coming up with there seem like they would be about a 30min ride (which is doable, but I might like something closer).
Sounds like Gold Coast is the neighborhood for you. It's close to Streeterville, but has bars and restaurants that stay open past 9PM. And studios are right in that range.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:51 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
furrrman wrote:Any advice on housing? I'm looking for a studio in the 1000-1300 range thats relatively detached from the streeterville area but not much more than a 20min trip to campus via bus/train/metro. I liked the lincoln park area, but the options I'm coming up with there seem like they would be about a 30min ride (which is doable, but I might like something closer).
Sounds like Gold Coast is the neighborhood for you. It's close to Streeterville, but has bars and restaurants that stay open past 9PM. And studios are right in that range.
Thanks, the places I see in the gold coast area seem nice and affordable.

Can you tell me what the vibe is like there? One thing I was trying to get away from was the "busy" feel of Streetervile, and Gold Coast seems to still be contained in it (I realize I may have to give up on my idea of living 20 minutes or less from school for this.)

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:13 pm

WHOA -- you think streeterville is busy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:29 am

zugzwanger wrote:WHOA -- you think streeterville is busy?
A bit, but I might be expressing myself poorly. Moreso what I mean is that it just has a cold feeling to it, in the downtown-y, business-oriented, tall building kind of way. Don't get me wrong, I think its interesting in its own right, but I would prefer to live in a place a bit more detached from it that has more of a "neighborhood" vibe.

Basically, at the end of the day I would like to go back to a place that doesn't remind me of school. Getting that distance is important for me both in terms of keeping my sanity as a normal person and in doing well as a student. I think if I were to live in Streeterville, or someplace close enough to it, it would drive me crazy, which would impact both my personal life and my school work.

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 pm

furrrman wrote:
A bit, but I might be expressing myself poorly. Moreso what I mean is that it just has a cold feeling to it, in the downtown-y, business-oriented, tall building kind of way. Don't get me wrong, I think its interesting in its own right, but I would prefer to live in a place a bit more detached from it that has more of a "neighborhood" vibe.

Basically, at the end of the day I would like to go back to a place that doesn't remind me of school. Getting that distance is important for me both in terms of keeping my sanity as a normal person and in doing well as a student. I think if I were to live in Streeterville, or someplace close enough to it, it would drive me crazy, which would impact both my personal life and my school work.
Note that the walk from Red Line to school is a good 10-15 minutes right off the top, so if you're looking outside Streeterville, it'll have to be via bus to stay within 20 minutes. That being said, I think Gold Coast definitely has more of a neighborhood vibe than Streeterville, so you should check it out. Although my overall suggestion would be to either deal with a longer commute and live in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, or stay in Streeterville and laugh at the poor jabronis that have to trudge through sub-zero temps and driving snow in the winter.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:27 pm

You can be pretty close to 20 minutes if you live around stockton and fullerton in Lincoln Park. That's more or less last stop on the 143 express bus that drops you on Michigan and pearson two stops later. I take the 146 though and am not as familiar and I think the 143 may only run during rush hours which means the slower 151 if its another time of day.

But yeah if you want a neighborhood just do anywhere lincoln park/lakeview. you're probably looking at a slightly longer than 20 mins commute from these places but it's really not all that bad.

zugzwanger

Bronze

Post by zugzwanger » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:43 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
furrrman wrote:

Note that the walk from Red Line to school is a good 10-15 minutes right off the top, so if you're looking outside Streeterville, it'll have to be via bus to stay within 20 minutes. That being said, I think Gold Coast definitely has more of a neighborhood vibe than Streeterville, so you should check it out. Although my overall suggestion would be to either deal with a longer commute and live in Lincoln Park or Lakeview, or stay in Streeterville and laugh at the poor jabronis that have to trudge through sub-zero temps and driving snow in the winter.
That, and if you are single, you can hang out right outside the med school in all NU Law gear purple from top to bottom -- great move if you are single :D

Alright I kid I'll go back to trying to be helpful

Check out the old town area. It's pricey, but is a good inbetween the school and being somewhat further away when you hit lincoln park. I really like that area but haven't found the right place!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”