Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
futurelawstudent14

New

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by futurelawstudent14 » Sun May 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Recently got in & am beyond excited to be joining you all this fall- especially after glancing through this thread!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun May 18, 2014 3:16 pm

futurelawstudent14 wrote:Recently got in & am beyond excited to be joining you all this fall- especially after glancing through this thread!
Congrats!

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm

I've seen two people on LSN with 175K scholarships. Does NU give money beyond full tuition?

bizzike

New

Post by bizzike » Sun May 25, 2014 12:55 am

Stupid question (not from the region). But how does laundry work at most buildings? Are there machines in the basement or laundromats nearby?

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sun May 25, 2014 1:02 am

bizzike wrote:Stupid question (not from the region). But how does laundry work at most buildings? Are there machines in the basement or laundromats nearby?
There is laundry in buildings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Thu May 29, 2014 11:49 am

Well . . . I had my first panicky, shit!-I-missed-something-important-for-law-school dream last night. How many years of that do I have to look forward to?

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Thu May 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Has anyone received emails from faculty/alumni/current students? I just got one from a current professor that seemed tailored to my PS/DS/Why NU essays and I thought it was really cool 8) But I'm wondering if there is anything behind it.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Fri May 30, 2014 2:34 am

kenwash wrote:I've seen two people on LSN with 175K scholarships. Does NU give money beyond full tuition?
$55k/year is the largest I've heard of.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri May 30, 2014 10:51 am

NYC-WVU wrote:Well . . . I had my first panicky, shit!-I-missed-something-important-for-law-school dream last night. How many years of that do I have to look forward to?
A judge gave a speech at a dinner this spring about how those don't stop ever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC-WVU

Bronze

Post by NYC-WVU » Fri May 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Bumi wrote:
NYC-WVU wrote:Well . . . I had my first panicky, shit!-I-missed-something-important-for-law-school dream last night. How many years of that do I have to look forward to?
A judge gave a speech at a dinner this spring about how those don't stop ever.
Haha. Great . . .

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Fri May 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Cross-class thread pollinating, but... I had one of those too. :shock: A room full of people and I were sitting down for a writing test to get onto Law Review, and when the timer started, I realized I had zero idea what the assignment or rules were. It was awful. I woke up and was like WHERE DID THAT COME FROM.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm

If anyone is looking for housing I'm moving out of my apt. at the end of July. I live in a decent sized studio-ish thing in Lakeview close to the red line and the 146 express bus. Rent is $875. My landlord is showing it starting Monday but I thought I'd share in case anyone here is looking for housing and I would win because I wouldn't have strangers roving my apartment for an extended period of time if one of you snatches it up. If you're interested pm me and I can link you to some pics and answer more questions.

My landlord was pretty great when i locked this place down from across the country and is cool with the student loan situation etc.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri May 30, 2014 2:54 pm

lemons wrote:Has anyone received emails from faculty/alumni/current students? I just got one from a current professor that seemed tailored to my PS/DS/Why NU essays and I thought it was really cool 8) But I'm wondering if there is anything behind it.
I got one from an alumnus and now that you mention it, he does have a career similar to my interests.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Mullens wrote:
lemons wrote:Has anyone received emails from faculty/alumni/current students? I just got one from a current professor that seemed tailored to my PS/DS/Why NU essays and I thought it was really cool 8) But I'm wondering if there is anything behind it.
I got one from an alumnus and now that you mention it, he does have a career similar to my interests.
It's almost as if they actually read your ps and put thought into who would be best for you to speak to.

lemons

Bronze

Post by lemons » Fri May 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Mullens wrote:
It's almost as if they actually read your ps and put thought into who would be best for you to speak to.
Lol and that's why I'm a bit surprised. NU admissions has not been the nicest or most thoughtful of admissions offices. So yeah I'm a bit surprised haha

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 30, 2014 3:12 pm

lemons wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Lol and that's why I'm a bit surprised. NU admissions has not been the nicest or most thoughtful of admissions offices. So yeah I'm a bit surprised haha
Fair enough. I volunteered to talk to admits through email but haven't been asked to do so yet.

berndie90

New

Post by berndie90 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:41 pm

Did anyone else see the Above the Law article below?

Graduateprograms.com announced today (also via Above the Law) that Northwestern is the #8 best school in the country for "Best Social Life" for law students. "'Social life' is defined as how easy it is for students to meet people, make friends, or date," according to the article.

Better yet, it's one of (edited) the only T14's on the list! Let's keep that ranking going!

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/06/the-top- ... life-2014/
Last edited by berndie90 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:45 pm

berndie90 wrote:Did anyone else see the Above the Law article below?

Graduateprograms.com announced today (also via Above the Law) that Northwestern is the #8 best school in the country for "Best Social Life" for law students. "'Social life' is defined as how easy it is for students to meet people, make friends, or date," according to the article.

Better yet, it's the only T14 on the list! Let's keep that ranking going!

(Egregious UVA trolling)

But yeah I'm happy with the recognition.

berndie90

New

Post by berndie90 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Mullens wrote:
berndie90 wrote:Did anyone else see the Above the Law article below?

Better yet, it's the only T14 on the list! Let's keep that ranking going!

(Egregious UVA trolling)

But yeah I'm happy with the recognition.
Totally missed UVA - if it's trolling, it was unintentional!

scorneli

New

Post by scorneli » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:44 am

berndie90 wrote:Totally missed UVA - if it's trolling, it was unintentional!
It was perfect.

furrrman

Bronze

Post by furrrman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Is there a second seat deposit deadline, or any kind of letter of intent due?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

berndie90

New

Post by berndie90 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 am

furrrman wrote:Is there a second seat deposit deadline, or any kind of letter of intent due?
Just the one, I believe. You should be good!

futurelawstudent14

New

Post by futurelawstudent14 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Hopefully we get the pre-matriculation guide today/some contact from NU :)

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Anyone heard any reviews about the River East Club? And is there a hole-in-the-wall/sports bar/place to have a pint in between classes nearby?

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Foghornleghorn wrote:Anyone heard any reviews about the River East Club? And is there a hole-in-the-wall/sports bar/place to have a pint in between classes nearby?
If you're talking about the LA fitness gym you get a deal on as an NU kid it's legit.

It's just incredibly cheap, not usually very busy (mostly utilized by med/law school kids), the facilities are nice and you have access to all la fitness locations (i just hit one up in my home state over memorial day). At 200 bucks a year it's tough to beat.

I do have a complaint: they have a single squat rack. This can be infuriating when the entire gym is empty except for the one dude who needs to spend 90 minutes to do 3 sets.

the go to bar for people at school is timmy o'tooles which is fine has decent food, wide beer selection and televisions. Streeters is a little farther away but a much better bar for hanging out at in my opinion but i really like dives.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”