Northwestern Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
franklyscarlet

Gold

Re: Northwestern Class of 2017

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:19 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
This info I agree with a lot more. I was more taking exception to your first post that seemed to make Northwestern COL ridiculously expensive. I just wanted to share that their are many, many options and those all range in price and have their own plusses and minuses. I do not think the commute for living away from school is bad at all. Express busses are fast up and down Lake Shore Drive and the El is not slow (unless you're talking the Brown/Purple line into the loop, which you wouldn't do to get to school). The worst part of my commute from Wrigleyville is the walk from the Chicago red line stop to school and my commute is at most 30 minutes door to door.
It should be noted that the poster also ignored the existence of the busses. It's the same pass, and express busses are magic. Live on the 146 or 148 and your life is easy and cheap.

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:58 am

Sooooo anybody in here going to ASW? Have you guys received any feedback in regard to travel stipends?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Sooooo anybody in here going to ASW? Have you guys received any feedback in regard to travel stipends?
I'll be there. Go to the admitted student website and click on the travel stipend reservation link. Fill out the form, and when you're there this week, you'll fill something out to secure your $200 refund: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... index.html

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:05 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:Sooooo anybody in here going to ASW? Have you guys received any feedback in regard to travel stipends?
I'll be at ASW. I sent in the requested information from the website and received the following response: "Thank you. I have reserved a travel stipend for you. During the check in process of the event, please stop by the admissions office to sign the reimbursement paperwork."

3 more days of work before a nice weekend in Chicago...

melodically

New

Post by melodically » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:12 pm

I'll be there this weekend. Has anyone else never been to Chicago? I feel like a total noob.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:14 pm

melodically wrote:I'll be there this weekend. Has anyone else never been to Chicago? I feel like a total noob.
I went to Chicago once or twice as a kid over two decades ago. So, yeah. Noob status for me as well.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 pm

melodically wrote:I'll be there this weekend. Has anyone else never been to Chicago? I feel like a total noob.
I'll be there on Saturday. I've been to Chicago several times - it's a great city and pretty easy to navigate in my opinion. Are you flying in or driving? And if flying, which airport?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:58 pm

I've never been to Chicago either! Honestly, the Devil in the White City stirred up a sincere interest in Chicago in me (tho that probably sounds intensely amateurish). I've heard such positive things as well that I'm confident that I will find it not only agreeable, but impressive.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 pm

I volunteered to do ASW stuff but admissions has not told any of us what we're doing yet. So presumably I will lead a tour or something. I did not go to my own ASW but I heard great things. Supposedly, some of you will come away thinking NU is the only place for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:00 pm

whereskyle wrote:
I've never been to Chicago either! Honestly, the Devil in the White City stirred up a sincere interest in Chicago in me (tho that probably sounds intensely amateurish). I've heard such positive things as well that I'm confident that I will find it not only agreeable, but impressive.
I love it. If not for the weather it may be nearly perfect. It's NYC with room to breathe, and a bit of midwestern friendliness.

jonny09x1

New

Post by jonny09x1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Trying to book a hotel near the school, probably within a mile. Has anybody have luck finding a reasonably priced place?

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:15 pm

jonny09x1 wrote:Trying to book a hotel near the school, probably within a mile. Has anybody have luck finding a reasonably priced place?
I went with a Hotwire hot rate and landed The Allerton (looks like about 0.5 miles away from the school) for $86/night + taxes. Ended up at $329 after all taxes. That was reasonably priced enough for me I suppose. But either Priceline or Hotwire provide pretty good deals, and you still get to pick your area.

herrowww

New

Post by herrowww » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 pm

Chicago is such an amazing city.. I fell in love with it on my first visit a couple years ago, and I've been back a handful of times since then. It's a less overwhelming and cleaner version of NYC, and the river that snakes through the city just adds to the charming factor. The best way to get a feel for Chitown is to see it by foot, so plan on walking a LOT. Oh and don't forget to venture through millenium park and snap a picture of the bean. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

just received an email saying that the next round of scholarships won't go out until April 14-18 (so they can see what happens with the current offers first.) With other deposit deadlines coming up, this makes things difficult :?

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Marshmallow wrote:just received an email saying that the next round of scholarships won't go out until April 14-18 (so they can see what happens with the current offers first.) With other deposit deadlines coming up, this makes things difficult :?
Received the same. Which deposit deadlines are the soonest that are concerning you?

AceDeuces

Bronze

Post by AceDeuces » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Hitchensian wrote:
Marshmallow wrote:just received an email saying that the next round of scholarships won't go out until April 14-18 (so they can see what happens with the current offers first.) With other deposit deadlines coming up, this makes things difficult :?
Received the same. Which deposit deadlines are the soonest that are concerning you?
For me it's Texas. Among other things, I was hoping to submit NW's offer to their matching process so I could potentially get a final scholarship offer before their deadline.

Pishee77

Bronze

Post by Pishee77 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:39 pm

For those of you who filled out the scholarship negotiation form...did you receive a confirmation at all?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Hitchensian wrote:
I'm mostly just being grumpy about it. NU with a decent scholarship would be high on my list and now I have to wait some more. Berkeley doesn't require a deposit but does make you sign an acceptance of admission by the 15th.

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 pm

Ah, neither Texas or Berkeley are on my shortlist. I think Duke's deadline is April 25th or so, and Columbia's is May 1st.

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 pm

The scholarship delay sucks for me because it leaves a small window of time for negotiation.

Marshmallow

Bronze

Post by Marshmallow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:07 am

Hitchensian wrote:Ah, neither Texas or Berkeley are on my shortlist. I think Duke's deadline is April 25th or so, and Columbia's is May 1st.
kenwash wrote:The scholarship delay sucks for me because it leaves a small window of time for negotiation.
I fully intend to talk to the finaid dept. during ASW this coming weekend. I know they probably won't get finaid decisions back any sooner, but I just want to voice my concerns (in the nicest, sweetest way possible! :wink: ) I'll report back re: responses, unless someone else beats me to it :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:56 pm

scorneli wrote:
gimmedanger wrote:Is it worth negotiating with a comparable offer from Vanderbilt/UT? Or am I better off asking for more $ without mentioning offers from lower-ranked schools? Anyone had luck with this?
You won't be able to negotiate with an offer from Vandy, but they will accept a negotiation from UT - Austin. All scholarship negotiations this year are completed via the "Scholarship Reconsideration Form", which has a drop down list of schools to choose from.

Here's the list of schools they'll compete with: Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Penn, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UT - Austin, UVA, and Yale.

And the link to the Scholarship Reconsideration Form: https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... sideration
I suspect a lot of admitted applicants here haven't seen this yet because they haven't started the reconsideration process. Totally bogus.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:05 pm

d cooper wrote:
scorneli wrote:
gimmedanger wrote:Is it worth negotiating with a comparable offer from Vanderbilt/UT? Or am I better off asking for more $ without mentioning offers from lower-ranked schools? Anyone had luck with this?
You won't be able to negotiate with an offer from Vandy, but they will accept a negotiation from UT - Austin. All scholarship negotiations this year are completed via the "Scholarship Reconsideration Form", which has a drop down list of schools to choose from.

Here's the list of schools they'll compete with: Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Penn, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UT - Austin, UVA, and Yale.

And the link to the Scholarship Reconsideration Form: https://apply.law.northwestern.edu/regi ... sideration
I suspect a lot of admitted applicants here haven't seen this yet because they haven't started the reconsideration process. Totally bogus.
Jfc another essay about Why Northwestern? Didn't my original scholarship essay spell it out? This makes me feel like they only care about scholarships that exceed their offer, which doesn't make sense.

d cooper

Bronze

Post by d cooper » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Last edited by d cooper on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Looks like I'll be doing a ton of ASW events with y'all. Breakfast, Lunch, even get to "Tell it Like it Is."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”