Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5716
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby BVest » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:49 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:
El Principe wrote:Anyone wanna PM me what the "gift" they're sending is?

I'm currently at a different location than my mailing address, so it's not like it isn't going to be "spoiled" when my family calls to tell me what it is seeing as I won't be back for at least a month.

***********SPOILER ************






It's like a UT law portfolio thing and some miscellaneous stuff (like a screen rag? IDK)

It's not bigger scholarships.


The fact that it's an "iPadfolio" with a holder/stand makes me wonder if there won't be one more gift before school starts.


That would be very surprising to the current students (who got water bottles).

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5716
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby BVest » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Attax wrote:Austin's Pizza is my favorite in the area that will actually deliver.


Salvation delivers.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 am

BVest wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
The fact that it's an "iPadfolio" with a holder/stand makes me wonder if there won't be one more gift before school starts.


That would be very surprising to the current students (who got water bottles).


We got water bottles too, the metal ones. Mine got taken at Texas Tech :'(


Although I like Scott's approach. My thought was "damn, I'm migrating away from apple for LS" maybe not now

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 am

BVest wrote:
Attax wrote:Austin's Pizza is my favorite in the area that will actually deliver.


Salvation delivers.


Not to where I currently live :(

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5716
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby BVest » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:27 pm

In case there's anyone still looking for a house, here are some I've seen listed recently that are a fairly easy commute less than 15 min most days by car; less than 25 min by bus including walk):

Woodrow at Romeria 3-2 $1850 or $1895, I don't recall. 512-858-7137 -- Right on #5 bus line. Brentwood neighborhood. Short walk to Thunderbird Coffee.

52nd at Duval -- 3-2; looks pricey (prob $2200-2500). 512-423-4010 -- Right on #7 bus line. North Hyde Park/North Loop neighborhood. Short walk to bars and Epoch Coffee.

On top of that check Habitat Hunters and Eyes of Texas Properties as they always have lots of rental listings around town, usually in good locations. For example just looking at the Eyes of Texas listings:

http://www.eyesoftexasproperties.com/re ... roperties/
1203 Alegria and 1522 Piedmont are both about 1.5 blocks of #5 bus (See Woodrow/Romeria description above). Harris Park, Speedway, and Duval listings are all easily walkable to the law school.

And http://www.eyesoftexasproperties.com/re ... roperties/
The 4800 Duval property is a very short #7 bus ride to the school and near tons of stuff at 45th and Duval.

(#7 lets off at San Jacinto/Dean Keeton; #5 lets off at Speedway/Dean Keeton).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:29 pm

168 3.3GPA here, applying to UT in december. Does anyone here know (personal opinion, not online stats) my prospects of getting in and getting a little scholly $$$? I'm an in state resident

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:38 pm

choward014 wrote:168 3.3GPA here, applying to UT in december. Does anyone here know (personal opinion, not online stats) my prospects of getting in and getting a little scholly $$$? I'm an in state resident

You will almost certainly get in. You will likely get at least a small scholarship. Apply to schools like WUSTL who give big $$ to splitters for negotiation leverage purposes.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:33 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:168 3.3GPA here, applying to UT in december. Does anyone here know (personal opinion, not online stats) my prospects of getting in and getting a little scholly $$$? I'm an in state resident

You will almost certainly get in. You will likely get at least a small scholarship. Apply to schools like WUSTL who give big $$ to splitters for negotiation leverage purposes.


I had 168 <3.0 STEM here and had 1/2 tuition to WUSTL and 7k/year to UT and will be attending. Also, I'd apply before december. If you have a 168 already why are you applying so late OP?

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Attax wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:168 3.3GPA here, applying to UT in december. Does anyone here know (personal opinion, not online stats) my prospects of getting in and getting a little scholly $$$? I'm an in state resident

You will almost certainly get in. You will likely get at least a small scholarship. Apply to schools like WUSTL who give big $$ to splitters for negotiation leverage purposes.


I had 168 <3.0 STEM here and had 1/2 tuition to WUSTL and 7k/year to UT and will be attending. Also, I'd apply before december. If you have a 168 already why are you applying so late OP?


I'm so uneasy about my chances of getting man man... I swear. So I decided to play it safe and retake. I mean a 3.3 gpa isnt very good. I wish I could just tell admissions that I was a student athlete and getting A's is a bitch when youre on the road for a whole semester. Like if you took my first semester grades every year, I have a 3.92... that's literally how bad second semesters were for me cuz of sports.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 pm

choward014 wrote:
Attax wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:
choward014 wrote:168 3.3GPA here, applying to UT in december. Does anyone here know (personal opinion, not online stats) my prospects of getting in and getting a little scholly $$$? I'm an in state resident

You will almost certainly get in. You will likely get at least a small scholarship. Apply to schools like WUSTL who give big $$ to splitters for negotiation leverage purposes.


I had 168 <3.0 STEM here and had 1/2 tuition to WUSTL and 7k/year to UT and will be attending. Also, I'd apply before december. If you have a 168 already why are you applying so late OP?


I'm so uneasy about my chances of getting man man... I swear. So I decided to play it safe and retake. I mean a 3.3 gpa isnt very good. I wish I could just tell admissions that I was a student athlete and getting A's is a bitch when youre on the road for a whole semester. Like if you took my first semester grades every year, I have a 3.92... that's literally how bad second semesters were for me cuz of sports.


You can write an addendum, but an "I took on more than I could handle and was irresponsible" addendum doesn't seem smart. I wrote mine on how my GPA was dropped primarily by a few difficult classes (organic chemistry). You can also retake in October, but you should be fine getting in with a 168, just retake for scholarship purposes. There's no need to wait for after it to apply.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Its not that I took too many classes and i couldnt handle it haha for all athletes their advisors literally assign them their classes so its scheduled around practice/workouts... like my advising appointments were literally my advisor saying "these are the classes you're taking and this is how difficult they will be"

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:46 pm

choward014 wrote:Its not that I took too many classes and i couldnt handle it haha for all athletes their advisors literally assign them their classes so its scheduled around practice/workouts... like my advising appointments were literally my advisor saying "these are the classes you're taking and this is how difficult they will be"


I don't see how that is relevant? Especially if you went to a D1 where there has been skepticism about the rigors of courses now. You should still be fine. I'm simply saying that you're not helping your argument for the low GPA but it shouldn't matter for acceptance anyway.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:Its not that I took too many classes and i couldnt handle it haha for all athletes their advisors literally assign them their classes so its scheduled around practice/workouts... like my advising appointments were literally my advisor saying "these are the classes you're taking and this is how difficult they will be"


I don't see how that is relevant? Especially if you went to a D1 where there has been skepticism about the rigors of courses now. You should still be fine. I'm simply saying that you're not helping your argument for the low GPA but it shouldn't matter for acceptance anyway.


I assure you the "rigors" argument did not apply to my school. We took the same classes as everyone else with no benefits just because we were athletes (other then a pop quiz or two not counting if we were away). I'm saying that I'm taking my LSAT again because my GPA is below the median and I would feel more comfortable with applying/scholly $$ if I had a higher LSAT because I dont want my application to be a giant excuse of why my GPA is so low. I want it to be a no brainer for them because of the LSAT I guess is my point.

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:55 pm

choward014 wrote:
I assure you the "rigors" argument did not apply to my school. We took the same classes as everyone else with no benefits just because we were athletes (other then a pop quiz or two not counting if we were away). I'm saying that I'm taking my LSAT again because my GPA is below the median and I would feel more comfortable with applying/scholly $$ if I had a higher LSAT because I dont want my application to be a giant excuse of why my GPA is so low. I want it to be a no brainer for them because of the LSAT I guess is my point.


Either way you're approaching admissions entirely wrong. When you apply, that LSAT/GPA matters for admissions, but you can raise it up later for scholarship negotiation purposes. So applying early is in your best entrance, I know people with higher stats than me who applied later on and were WL or Rejected. Apply early, get in, then retake that LSAT to negotiate for more $.

Also, it shouldn't be an excuse. An addendum should be written only if legitimate. If you feel you are making excuses, you probably are. You are almost already guaranteed in with in state and that LSAT already IF you apply early and negotiate later. Like I said, I had a 168 and <3.0 GPA and got in b/c I applied early. Don't make a mistake by waiting.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:
I assure you the "rigors" argument did not apply to my school. We took the same classes as everyone else with no benefits just because we were athletes (other then a pop quiz or two not counting if we were away). I'm saying that I'm taking my LSAT again because my GPA is below the median and I would feel more comfortable with applying/scholly $$ if I had a higher LSAT because I dont want my application to be a giant excuse of why my GPA is so low. I want it to be a no brainer for them because of the LSAT I guess is my point.


Either way you're approaching admissions entirely wrong. When you apply, that LSAT/GPA matters for admissions, but you can raise it up later for scholarship negotiation purposes. So applying early is in your best entrance, I know people with higher stats than me who applied later on and were WL or Rejected. Apply early, get in, then retake that LSAT to negotiate for more $.

Also, it shouldn't be an excuse. An addendum should be written only if legitimate. If you feel you are making excuses, you probably are. You are almost already guaranteed in with in state and that LSAT already IF you apply early and negotiate later. Like I said, I had a 168 and <3.0 GPA and got in b/c I applied early. Don't make a mistake by waiting.

Is December too late for early admissions at UT?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:00 pm

choward014 wrote:Is December too late for early admissions at UT?


I believe 11/1 was the early admission deadline this year. That is not that early in the admissions game, plus if you're waiting for a December LSAT it will be January. Apply the day the application is available, get in, retake, and negotiate. It is that simple.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:Is December too late for early admissions at UT?


I believe 11/1 was the early admission deadline this year. That is not that early in the admissions game, plus if you're waiting for a December LSAT it will be January. Apply the day the application is available, get in, retake, and negotiate. It is that simple.


Does negotiating work for GPA too? Like, if I wanted my semester's GPA (which will rise because its not in season) to be included could I use that for negotiation purposes?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:02 pm

choward014 wrote:
Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:Is December too late for early admissions at UT?


I believe 11/1 was the early admission deadline this year. That is not that early in the admissions game, plus if you're waiting for a December LSAT it will be January. Apply the day the application is available, get in, retake, and negotiate. It is that simple.


Does negotiating work for GPA too? Like, if I wanted my semester's GPA (which will rise because its not in season) to be included could I use that for negotiation purposes?


Yes. But LSAT will be much more effective for negotiations. UT offers a 1 time matching policy, so don't apply early action or you'll be almost locked into what they give you. Apply to the lower T14 like NU, Cornell, GULC as well. They didn't seem to care about WUSTL, UMN, etc. this year as much.

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:04 pm

Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:
Attax wrote:
choward014 wrote:Is December too late for early admissions at UT?


I believe 11/1 was the early admission deadline this year. That is not that early in the admissions game, plus if you're waiting for a December LSAT it will be January. Apply the day the application is available, get in, retake, and negotiate. It is that simple.


Does negotiating work for GPA too? Like, if I wanted my semester's GPA (which will rise because its not in season) to be included could I use that for negotiation purposes?


Yes. But LSAT will be much more effective for negotiations. UT offers a 1 time matching policy, so don't apply early action or you'll be almost locked into what they give you. Apply to the lower T14 like NU, Cornell, GULC as well. They didn't seem to care about WUSTL, UMN, etc. this year as much.

Sorry for all the ?s Attax but UT would just be fuckin awesome. What do you mean when you say "matching". As in, matching in overall cost AFTER scholarship, or matching the actual scholarship money?

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:10 pm

choward014 wrote:
Sorry for all the ?s Attax but UT would just be fuckin awesome. What do you mean when you say "matching". As in, matching in overall cost AFTER scholarship, or matching the actual scholarship money?


Oh I'm excited to be going to UT as are many others here, but that doesn't mean you can't apply elsewhere. And going to UT at sticker price would just be stupid, even if you are in state (in my opinion, at least). Minimizing debt is the safest and only approach that should be taken to law school. It is awesome, but you have to consider what your goals are as UT is one of the best regional schools, but that still means it is just a regional school. If you are biglaw only and aren't IP eligible then UT probably isn't a safe bet to take. But if you want to work in Texas and don't care where then UT is a pretty good choice.

They offer the ability to submit other scholarships and they will maybe match the cost after scholarship. I didn't get mine matched and have about $13k/year in finaid directly from the university so I'd expect somewhere around the same for you. The need based this year was highly biased in favor of in state people, too. We got an increase before OOS people got anything (sorry friends, much love for you all!).

ilikebaseball
Posts: 4103
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:04 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ilikebaseball » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:14 pm

Very interesting... and really the only two places I want to work would be where my family lives. Either in Dallas or in Annapolis, MD (which would explain the GULC, GW, and MD applications I'll be filling out) thanks for the advice Attax

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:16 pm

choward014 wrote:Very interesting... and really the only two places I want to work would be where my family lives. Either in Dallas or in Annapolis, MD (which would explain the GULC, GW, and MD applications I'll be filling out) thanks for the advice Attax


No problem. Just remember, there are some regional schools that may still not be worth applying to. Check out lawschooltransparency.com for information about real employment out of the schools.

User avatar
McAvoy
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby McAvoy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 pm

I concur -- you'll be very likely to get in with a 168 in-state, assuming you don't present any glaring flaws in your application. But in a typical person's situation, UT at in-state sticker is probably not a very bright idea. Retaking would not be a bad idea for scholarship purposes, but if you choose not to do that, I would ED, as you're unlikely to get more than a 10K scholarship with that GPA. Apply everywhere and good luck!

ojala
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:06 am

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby ojala » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:11 am

Hi All! Sorry if the housing conversation has already happened, but I am still looking for a place and need some guidance!

I'm moving to Austin in August. I don't drive (though I'm working on it!) and so for the first year at least I'd like to either be walking distance from UT or somewhere where public transportation is still reasonably accessible. At the same time, I would like to be reasonably close to night life. Do you have any neighborhood recommendations so that I can focus my search a little more? Also, do you think a car would be absolutely necessary or could I get away with not having one for now?

I've been looking at some apartments downtown, which are in an area I'd really like to live but the commute seems like it might be a hassle via public transportation. Also, though it is my preferred area, I'm wondering if I would then be isolated socially if most other students live in certain neighborhoods.

I'm not familiar with Austin and would appreciate if anyone could offer me suggestions for neighborhoods, apartment complexes etc etc
Last edited by ojala on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
McAvoy
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby McAvoy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:23 am

I also really wanted to be both in walking distance to the law school and walking-ish distance to downtown. I settled on being in walking distance to the law school (in the neighborhood just northwest, where it seems many law students live), as such a setup doesn't really exist, unfortunately. If you are a biker the commute from downtown to the law school would be a breeze, however (though probably not in like August).

If you're close to campus, there is an "entertainment bus" which will shuttle you from downtown back to campus until like 3 am, so that's still readily accessible to you.




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest