Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Attax

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Sun May 04, 2014 4:16 pm

I already have my lawhorn shirt :(

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Attax wrote:I already have my lawhorn shirt :(

How does one get a law horn shirt (beyond buying one online)?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 pm

camelthing wrote:
Attax wrote:I already have my lawhorn shirt :(

How does one get a law horn shirt (beyond buying one online)?

They're available at the Co-Op East which is right across the street from the law school.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon May 05, 2014 12:33 am

Are there drive-ins in Austin/anywhere in Texas? I just realized that other states may not have them and that would be very disappointing.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Mon May 05, 2014 12:35 am

cannibal ox wrote:Are there drive-ins in Austin/anywhere in Texas? I just realized that other states may not have them and that would be very disappointing.

Alamo shits on drive-ins

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 05, 2014 12:41 am

TheWalrus wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Are there drive-ins in Austin/anywhere in Texas? I just realized that other states may not have them and that would be very disappointing.

Alamo shits on drive-ins

Yeah I can't say I know of anywhere that drive-in movies are still a thing, but Alamo Drafthouse is pretty great.

kobe1020

Postby kobe1020 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:05 am

has anyone tried to negotiate after a successful scholarship matching? I know the general consensus is that you only got one shot but isn't it true that you can still ask them to increase without showing them other offers? I know it will be a weak argument/negotiation but if it's possible to squeeze a bit more juice out of them i would be in heaven.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 05, 2014 1:07 am

kobe1020 wrote:has anyone tried to negotiate after a successful scholarship matching? I know the general consensus is that you only got one shot but isn't it true that you can still ask them to increase without showing them other offers? I know it will be a weak argument/negotiation but if it's possible to squeeze a bit more juice out of them i would be in heaven.

Multiple people have been successful in the past, go for it

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon May 05, 2014 2:47 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Alamo shits on drive-ins

Yeah I can't say I know of anywhere that drive-in movies are still a thing, but Alamo Drafthouse is pretty great.

Explain what this is.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon May 05, 2014 6:39 am

cannibal ox wrote:
Explain what this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 9s_30sekDE

bigfudge

Postby bigfudge » Mon May 05, 2014 11:24 am

The Blue Starlite is a drive-in theater that is pretty close to campus. Here's the link: http://www.bluestarlitedrivein.com/

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon May 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Both interesting options. I went to the local drive-in last night and saw Spiderman 2, Captain America 2, and RoboCop. That's the sort of drive-in I'm used to, 3 new movies for $8, bring whatever food/beer you want, it's a pretty sweet deal.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon May 05, 2014 5:26 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Both interesting options. I went to the local drive-in last night and saw Spiderman 2, Captain America 2, and RoboCop. That's the sort of drive-in I'm used to, 3 new movies for $8, bring whatever food/beer you want, it's a pretty sweet deal.

That's a killer deal.

Alamo Drafthouse looks awesome. The more I find out about Austin, the more excited I am to be heading there. I think the Law Horns tees will do just fine.

Not to be gunnerific (this is one of those "not to" comments that does exactly the thing it purports not to do), but does anyone know of a 1L booklist and to what extent 1L booklists are determined by professors?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 pm

camelthing wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Both interesting options. I went to the local drive-in last night and saw Spiderman 2, Captain America 2, and RoboCop. That's the sort of drive-in I'm used to, 3 new movies for $8, bring whatever food/beer you want, it's a pretty sweet deal.

That's a killer deal.

Alamo Drafthouse looks awesome. The more I find out about Austin, the more excited I am to be heading there. I think the Law Horns tees will do just fine.

Not to be gunnerific (this is one of those "not to" comments that does exactly the thing it purports not to do), but does anyone know of a 1L booklist and to what extent 1L booklists are determined by professors?

You won't get the booklist til like a week or two before classes start because they know if you all know sooner you'll just gun it up and try to read everything over the summer. Professors completely determine the booklist. Many profs in the same subject use different textbooks. Except for legal writing that is, which is pretty standardized.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
camelthing wrote:

That's a killer deal.

You won't get the booklist til like a week or two before classes start because they know if you all know sooner you'll just gun it up and try to read everything over the summer. Professors completely determine the booklist. Many profs in the same subject use different textbooks. Except for legal writing that is, which is pretty standardized.

Why would they want to prevent us from reading during the summer?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Mon May 05, 2014 5:57 pm

So if we buy used books, that means we have to shell out for expedited shipping? Lame.

camelthing wrote:Why would they want to prevent us from reading during the summer?

Because THE LAW cannot be properly understood by a layman. You become unlayman at orientation; I think a lawyer has to, like, bite you or something.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 05, 2014 6:00 pm

camelthing wrote:Why would they want to prevent us from reading during the summer?

Because it's pretty useless first of all, and they really want everyone to come in as a blank slate and on an even playing field. You won't have any idea how your professor will teach the cases in the book. Also some casebooks we only read like 1/3 of selectively.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:So if we buy used books, that means we have to shell out for expedited shipping? Lame.

Because THE LAW cannot be properly understood by a layman. You become unlayman at orientation; I think a lawyer has to, like, bite you or something.

Also pretty much this lol.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Mon May 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:So if we buy used books, that means we have to shell out for expedited shipping? Lame.

If this is the case, and it's the only workable explanation currently, then we had better bring rabies shots.

I wonder how much damage I could do to myself and those around me by reading through the supplements prior to seeing the textbooks. Would my faintly pompous scent prove too repugnant for the fangs of a would-be initiator?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

camelthing wrote:
If this is the case, and it's the only workable explanation currently, then we had better bring rabies shots.

I wonder how much damage I could do to myself and those around me by reading through the supplements prior to seeing the textbooks. Would my faintly pompous scent prove too repugnant for the fangs of a would-be initiator?

I read through a couple supplements before school started last year, and I felt they were ever-so-slightly beneficial in providing a big picture framework and a little familiarity with the concepts. If I had ANYTHING remotely worthwhile to do otherwise, I wouldn't do it again. It's just not worth the time spent. However if you really don't have anything better to do, they certainly won't hurt anything.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 05, 2014 6:32 pm

camelthing wrote:

I think any 0L prep other than reading Getting to Maybe is a waste of time. I didn't do any and I can't imagine my grades having been any higher if I did. Perhaps lower because I might have been even more burnt out come the end of the 1st semester. 1st semester is a grind.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Ya Camel I'm with you that I feel like I should be doing substantive stuff, but the proportion of people who say it's a total waste is just overwhelming.

I'm just going to make like Rawls, Dworkin and rando philosophy of law stuff the bulk of my summer reading, and call that good. I might read like The Nine and Legal history shit. Reading about law and not law itself seems less gunnery, maybe, and definitely more interesting.

Mojosodope

Postby Mojosodope » Mon May 05, 2014 10:01 pm

What banks are most common in Austin

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Mojosodope wrote:What banks are most common in Austin

Plenty of Bank of America ATMs on campus, including right next to the law school

ponyboy7

Postby ponyboy7 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:27 pm

Mojosodope wrote:What banks are most common in Austin

I recommend University Federal Credit Union. They are kind of built for students, they're local, and their ATMs are on campus.

Also their customer service is amazing. Last year when I lived in Bolivia for awhile my card wasn't working on the ATMs there, even though I had called UFCU before I left so they could make a note on my card. A woman from UFCU worked on my case pretty much non-stop until she figured out the source of the problem and fixed it (it was Visa that was blocking my card, not them).

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”