Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
McAvoy

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby McAvoy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:43 am

TheWalrus wrote:I don't like bo Ryan cause the 35 second clock is awful.

Slander Libel

ponyboy7

Postby ponyboy7 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Attax wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Thanks all.
Where is the "cool" part of SoCo? I walked across the bridge and didn't see anything cool on the horizon, so I turned back.

There's a cool part of SoCo?

I was let to believe there was a "thriving SoCo District." Perhaps erroneously.

The "thriving SoCo district" is roughly between Mary St. and the Texas School for the Deaf. It's mostly overpriced thrift stores but it's pretty to walk around and there's some really great food to be had (Magnolia's, Home Slice, Zen's). Also the first Thursday of every month there is a kind of market/art walk in the area.

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm

camelthing wrote:Visiting Austin soon for the first time.

Any recommended hotels? Preferably something within walking distance of the law school and 6th if possible (I don't even know if this is a thing). Also, does Austin turn into a ghost town after classes let out?

I stayed at the Omni Downtown during my ASW, and it's very good hotel in walking distance of 6th, but not within walking distance of the law school. I've also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown and the Courtyard Austin Downtown, both are also solid options within walking distance of 6th and other activities in the area.

While you could walk from all of these hotels to the law school, it would be a while (~30 minutes). With a car, parking at San Jacinto garage by the law school makes it a much more manageable trip.

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Fri May 02, 2014 2:22 am

Has anyone had success negotiating with UT outside of their scholarship matching program? I submitted a matching request and received some $ just over a week ago, then received an acceptance and a very generous offer from a peer school today. According to their policy, I can't submit another matching request. I love UT, but financially this throws things too far out of balance. Any help or advice is appreciated.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 8:17 am

From what I've seen and heard this cycle, you're probably out of luck. It's definitely worth a try though.

Baseless speculation: If you can swing depositing at both, maybe they'd be more inclined to give another bump as we get into the summer months.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 10:16 am

I read through every TLS thread I could find when trying to find out what they meant by "peer" and don't remember anyone having success after the matching request. That said, you have nothing to lose by trying. You'll probably be relieved that they denied your request when you're taking out loans in the fall. Peace of mind is important

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Fri May 02, 2014 10:41 am

camelthing wrote:I read through every TLS thread I could find when trying to find out what they meant by "peer" and don't remember anyone having success after the matching request. That said, you have nothing to lose by trying. You'll probably be relieved that they denied your request when you're taking out loans in the fall. Peace of mind is important

+1 to that. All I had to do was wait one more week... :x

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:
camelthing wrote:I read through every TLS thread I could find when trying to find out what they meant by "peer" and don't remember anyone having success after the matching request. That said, you have nothing to lose by trying. You'll probably be relieved that they denied your request when you're taking out loans in the fall. Peace of mind is important

All we had to do was select the credited answer on two more questions of the LSAT... :wink:

PB&J.D.

Postby PB&J.D. » Fri May 02, 2014 12:57 pm

camelthing wrote:
PB&J.D. wrote:

All we had to do was select the credited answer on two more questions of the LSAT... :wink:

Haha touché

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Cactus wrote:
camelthing wrote:Visiting Austin soon for the first time.

Any recommended hotels? Preferably something within walking distance of the law school and 6th if possible (I don't even know if this is a thing). Also, does Austin turn into a ghost town after classes let out?

I stayed at the Omni Downtown during my ASW, and it's very good hotel in walking distance of 6th, but not within walking distance of the law school. I've also stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Downtown and the Courtyard Austin Downtown, both are also solid options within walking distance of 6th and other activities in the area.

While you could walk from all of these hotels to the law school, it would be a while (~30 minutes). With a car, parking at San Jacinto garage by the law school makes it a much more manageable trip.

Thanks for the tips. Maybe this will ignite some discussion... Best BBQ in Austin?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Franklin is supposed to be, but you typically need to wait like three hours to get inside. A few TLSers are planning on doing a trip there once we get closer to orientation -- feel free to PM if you'd like to join us.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri May 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Franklin is supposed to be, but you typically need to wait like three hours to get inside. A few TLSers are planning on doing a trip there once we get closer to orientation -- feel free to PM if you'd like to join us.

I'm in, pending UT's response to my matching request.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri May 02, 2014 3:09 pm

Had Franklin's once. Don't want to hype it up too much but it was the best BBQ I have ever had.

Also made my way out to Saltlick recently, it was really good and a cool experience: http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

Franklin's was even better though.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 3:21 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Franklin is supposed to be, but you typically need to wait like three hours to get inside. A few TLSers are planning on doing a trip there once we get closer to orientation -- feel free to PM if you'd like to join us.

I'm in, pending UT's response to my matching request.

Sweet. So we've got you, me, Attax, Zuck and Camel in right now.

As far as parking lot beers go: I'm more of a stout/porter guy, but some Live Oak Hefeweizens will probably be in order with it being like 400 degrees and what not.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri May 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Why don't we order our books early so we can have a study group while standing in line? Yeah? Guys?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 3:28 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Why don't we order our books early so we can have a study group while standing in line? Yeah? Guys?

This. We could supplement it with a book club meeting on Getting to Maybe, too.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Why don't we order our books early so we can have a study group while standing in line? Yeah? Guys?

This sounds awesome. I'm not even sure how to improve the idea.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 pm

camelthing wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:

This sounds awesome. I'm not even sure how to improve the idea.

If we all came in matching "Law Horns" t-shirts, that would be good too.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri May 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Does the book store sell pocket protectors?

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Does the book store sell pocket protectors?

I can't seem to find any online. We would have to get our Law Horns shirts custom made in order to have pockets.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri May 02, 2014 5:35 pm

I propose that the shirts say LAWnghorns.

On a more serious note, my scholarship matching request was successful, and I've (finally) officially decided to head to Austin in the fall.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Fri May 02, 2014 5:54 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I propose that the shirts say LAWnghorns.

On a more serious note, my scholarship matching request was successful, and I've (finally) officially decided to head to Austin in the fall.

Congrats! I don't think I've heard of anyone getting slighted by the matching program.

I was definitely expecting more disagreement about the best BBQ in Austin. After reading the reviews, however, it has to be Franklin's. How exactly are we able to consume alcohol outside of the restaurant?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Fri May 02, 2014 6:27 pm

With our mouths? :D

I don't really know, actually. A bunch of the reviews say you can do this though. Zuck (or any other Franklin vets), do you know the official policy?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Fri May 02, 2014 6:32 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:With our mouths? :D

I don't really know, actually. A bunch of the reviews say you can do this though. Zuck (or any other Franklin vets), do you know the official policy?

A lot of BBQ places are BYOB. No one cares if you drink in the Franklin line for sure. Also outside of downtown, public consumption is allowed in most places actually. Cops in Austin have been pretty chill when you're not bothering anyone in my experience.

ponyboy7

Postby ponyboy7 » Fri May 02, 2014 7:21 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I propose that the shirts say LAWnghorns.

Congrats ox! Welcome aboard.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”