Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
McAvoy

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby McAvoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Attax wrote:
Cactus wrote:
I'll add "San Jac" as a commonly used other name for San Jacinto.

I think it would also be useful to define the two primary districts on 6th Street - (1) West 6th (west of Lavaca) , (2) Dirty Six (east of Lavaca, west of 35). The names are self-explanatory..

Good point, I always used san jac to refer to the dorm rather than the street, so I'll add that.

West 6th = I've never been
East 6th = more hipster, quieter, and more divey.

Thanks all.

Where is the "cool" part of SoCo? I walked across the bridge and didn't see anything cool on the horizon, so I turned back.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Thanks all.

Where is the "cool" part of SoCo? I walked across the bridge and didn't see anything cool on the horizon, so I turned back.

There's a cool part of SoCo?

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Attax wrote:

I was let to believe there was a "thriving SoCo District." Perhaps erroneously.

cannibal ox wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Ah the sympathy angle. That's going to be my go-to.

I've never had another angle.

Proven ineffective.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:27 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:
Attax wrote:

I was let to believe there was a "thriving SoCo District." Perhaps erroneously.

There might be, I haven't really explored soco that much other than the food trailers.

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Attax wrote:
Cactus wrote:
I'll add "San Jac" as a commonly used other name for San Jacinto.

I think it would also be useful to define the two primary districts on 6th Street - (1) West 6th (west of Lavaca) , (2) Dirty Six (east of Lavaca, west of 35). The names are self-explanatory..

Good point, I always used san jac to refer to the dorm rather than the street, so I'll add that.

West 6th = I've never been
East 6th = more hipster, quieter, and more divey.

I assume you are defining East 6th as across 35? I've never spent much time over there.

There are some solid bars on West 6th (i.e. The Ranch, Rattle Inn, Kung Fu Saloon, among others), certainly preferable to Dirty 6 (at this point in my life) -- but there are great times to be had in both areas.

Avoiding 6th Street altogether and going to Rainey Street is also a very viable option, if not recommended.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:03 pm

The doughnut place in the Rainey Trailer Park is off the hook.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:06 pm

Cactus wrote:
I assume you are defining East 6th as across 35? I've never spent much time over there.

There are some solid bars on West 6th (i.e. The Ranch, Rattle Inn, Kung Fu Saloon, among others), certainly preferable to Dirty 6 (at this point in my life) -- but there are great times to be had in both areas.

Avoiding 6th Street altogether and going to Rainey Street is also a very viable option, if not recommended.

Yep, that's my definition of East 6th = your dirty 6th :P

Very credited to rainey street

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Attax wrote:
Cactus wrote:

Yep, that's my definition of East 6th = your dirty 6th :P

Very credited to rainey street

Got it, well I always considered Dirty 6 as everything east of Lavaca, and west of 35 (see The Lodge, Maggie Mays, 311, Peckerheads, The Library, and so on) -- which is primarily rowdy bars with live music, undergrads, out-of-towners, etc.

I suppose once you wade through the madhouse and go under the highway you can find more hipster, quieter dive bars.. I've just never made it that far!

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Texas got the number 2 basketball recruit, also am currently on "dirty 6th".

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 pm

What pro sports teams do people in Austin support, in sports where Texas has more than 1 team (basketball, football, baseball, soccer).

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:18 pm

cannibal ox wrote:What pro sports teams do people in Austin support, in sports where Texas has more than 1 team (basketball, football, baseball, soccer).

It's pretty eh. Most people usually support wherever there from. It absurd austin doesn't have a pro team.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 pm

cannibal ox wrote:What pro sports teams do people in Austin support, in sports where Texas has more than 1 team (basketball, football, baseball, soccer).

There are mercifully fewer Cowboys fans than I was expecting.

Seems to be more love for Houston-based teams from what I have seen, but maybe that's just the company I keep (wokeupinacar excluded, of course)

Also, lots of transplants so people root for where they are from.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Attax wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Where does Dallas fall on your scale of suffering?

I'm from a more humid area than dallas, about 1.5 hours east, and Dallas really is my favorite city during the summer.

Dallas, to me, has always appeared to be extremely boring. Counter thoughts?

I mean, unless you want the beach, I don't see what really separates cities that all have the same stuff to offer (museums, restaurants, bars, etc.)

Rare exception is New Orleans, which has parades, but I don't really buy the "this city is boring" argument, unless we're like talking about Salt Lake City or some wasteland like that.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 am

Visiting Austin soon for the first time.

Any recommended hotels? Preferably something within walking distance of the law school and 6th if possible (I don't even know if this is a thing). Also, does Austin turn into a ghost town after classes let out?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 am

camelthing wrote:Visiting Austin soon for the first time.

Any recommended hotels? Preferably something within walking distance of the law school and 6th if possible (I don't even know if this is a thing). Also, does Austin turn into a ghost town after classes let out?

UT is a big school but Austin is the 11th most populous city in the US (not metro area, but the city itself) and the fastest growing city in the US. There's a ton of stuff to do all the time, definitely never feels like a ghost town, at least from my experience.

I'm not super up on hotels, when I visited I just used Priceline or one of those sites (actually ended up at the W, which is really nice and close to the action)

It's a bit of a trek from 6th to campus (I think campus starts around 20th street), and then the law school is at the furthest point to the northeast. You should be able to bus up there pretty easily though.

Hopefully someone else can chime in if they know of a decently priced hotel/motel

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu May 01, 2014 8:07 am

I'm not huge into sports, but when I do I go for
Football - Detroit
Basketball - Dallas
Hockey - Dallas
Baseball - Boston

Most people around Austin seem to be for the more southern teams in SA and Houston

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 am

Attax wrote:

Football - Detroit
Basketball - Dallas
Hockey - Dallas
Baseball - Boston

Most people around Austin seem to be for the more southern teams in SA and Houston

Why such an array of teams?

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

TheWalrus wrote:
Attax wrote:

Football - Detroit
Basketball - Dallas
Hockey - Dallas
Baseball - Boston

Why such an array of teams?

Because I am not a huge sports fan and was somewhat forced by friends to pick teams and those were the ones I picked.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 am

camelthing wrote:Visiting Austin soon for the first time.

I'd suggest AirBNB. Half as expensive and you have a much better experience, IMO. PM me if you want and I can give the place I stayed/would recommend.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:02 am

I would have assumed the Spurs were a big deal in Austin (as far as NBA fans go)? I can get on board with them.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu May 01, 2014 10:11 am

Will_McAvoy wrote:I would have assumed the Spurs were a big deal in Austin (as far as NBA fans go)? I can get on board with them.

The thing about Austin you always have to keep in mind. At the 1990 census the metro area was 800k now it's over 1.9, and people don't like San Antonio cause they're "boring".

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:18 am

TheWalrus wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:I would have assumed the Spurs were a big deal in Austin (as far as NBA fans go)? I can get on board with them.

The thing about Austin you always have to keep in mind. At the 1990 census the metro area was 800k now it's over 1.9, and people don't like San Antonio cause they're "boring".

You mean they play basketball the right way? (Bo Ryan is a personal hero of mine, if that gives you an idea of the basketball I enjoy) :lol:

Attax

Postby Attax » Thu May 01, 2014 10:24 am

TheWalrus wrote:

I really like SA, and have made a few random weekend/late night trips there.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 am

Attax wrote:I really like SA, and have made a few random weekend/late night trips there.

I think he meant the Spurs :wink:

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Thu May 01, 2014 10:39 am

Attax wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

I really like SA, and have made a few random weekend/late night trips there.

Yea SA is pretty awesome. I have a free place to stay there, was talking about spurs, who I love. I don't like bo Ryan cause the 35 second clock is awful.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”