Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Attax

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 pm

samoby wrote:Any thoughts on "previously reported resources" for Fall 2014/Spring 2015? I have "reported scholarships" and "tuition assistance" listed under that heading with dollar amounts, but I have not reported any scholarships and have not received notification from them about receiving anything.

Lemme check my stuff form UG and compare.

Past years it has listed scholarships from the university. I'd imagine reported means those are coming from the LS, and tuition assistance = in state if you are out of state.

Not necessarily 100% correct, but my best speculation.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Have any in staters, especially those who are UT UGs (if I'm not the only one here) get their info yet? Still nothing here.

samoby

Postby samoby » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Attax wrote:
samoby wrote:Any thoughts on "previously reported resources" for Fall 2014/Spring 2015? I have "reported scholarships" and "tuition assistance" listed under that heading with dollar amounts, but I have not reported any scholarships and have not received notification from them about receiving anything.

Past years it has listed scholarships from the university. I'd imagine reported means those are coming from the LS, and tuition assistance = in state if you are out of state.

Thanks for responding! I would have thought the same thing, but when I click on "reported scholarships," the description is:

Any scholarship reported that has not or will not be received or processed by The University of Texas at Austin.

Example: An outside scholarship paid solely to the student and not submitted to UT Austin.

The tuition assistance description is:

Any payment credited to a tuition bill; excludes the Texas Guaranteed Tuition plan, taxable 3rd party payment, out of state exemption/waiver, and/or federal veterans benefits.

You might still be right, though (maybe their descriptions are incorrect). I guess I need to contact them.

Also, should we go through the "activation of financial aid notification" process even if we're not 100% sure we're committing to the school yet?

Thanks in advance; sorry for all of the questions.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Guys- give it a week or so. If something still looks weird/wrong then give them a call. Whatever you're seeing on your screen, I guarantee for 99% of you it's normal and fine and nothing to worry about.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:58 pm

samoby wrote:
Attax wrote:

Thanks for responding! I would have thought the same thing, but when I click on "reported scholarships," the description is:

Any scholarship reported that has not or will not be received or processed by The University of Texas at Austin.

Example: An outside scholarship paid solely to the student and not submitted to UT Austin.

The tuition assistance description is:

Any payment credited to a tuition bill; excludes the Texas Guaranteed Tuition plan, taxable 3rd party payment, out of state exemption/waiver, and/or federal veterans benefits.

You might still be right, though (maybe their descriptions are incorrect). I guess I need to contact them.

Also, should we go through the "activation of financial aid notification" process even if we're not 100% sure we're committing to the school yet?

Thanks in advance; sorry for all of the questions.

Sounds like it is saying that is where they would be if there was anything there.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:Guys- give it a week or so. If something still looks weird/wrong then give them a call. Whatever you're seeing on your screen, I guarantee for 99% of you it's normal and fine and nothing to worry about.

Yeah, she did say to wait until Friday. My graduation application still hasn't gone through so that's probably confusing the system since I'm in the UG and LS sections.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Guys- give it a week or so. If something still looks weird/wrong then give them a call. Whatever you're seeing on your screen, I guarantee for 99% of you it's normal and fine and nothing to worry about.

Yeah, she did say to wait until Friday. My graduation application still hasn't gone through so that's probably confusing the system since I'm in the UG and LS sections.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to single anyone out, just a general "Chill pill bros" PSA. What she said is pretty telling- lots of people start worrying about lots of stuff they need not worry about and need not contact them about.

On the bright side- obsessively obsessing over stuff that isn't a big deal is a long-standing pastime of law students nationwide so you guys should fit right in once you get to UT :)

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:07 pm

BigZuck wrote:Yeah, I wasn't trying to single anyone out, just a general "Chill pill bros" PSA. What she said is pretty telling- lots of people start worrying about lots of stuff they need not worry about and need not contact them about.

On the bright side- obsessively obsessing over stuff that isn't a big deal is a long-standing pastime of law students nationwide so you guys should fit right in once you get to UT :)

Oh for sure, this just makes me need to get on the ball with this application. Ugh, they need to approve it already or I'll be ir8.

Phew, gonna have a drink to deal with this obsessing. I hope that lets me fit in :P

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Yeah, I wasn't trying to single anyone out, just a general "Chill pill bros" PSA. What she said is pretty telling- lots of people start worrying about lots of stuff they need not worry about and need not contact them about.

Oh for sure, this just makes me need to get on the ball with this application. Ugh, they need to approve it already or I'll be ir8.

Phew, gonna have a drink to deal with this obsessing. I hope that lets me fit in :P

Drinking is also a law student pastime. I can confirm that you're doing it right.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I'm sort of torn between submitting a matching scholarship request before or after the deposit deadline. I'll definitely be depositing, and I feel like it'll make sense to do it afterwards when money frees up, but I'll lose some leverage as only my other deposited schools scholarships will be in play.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:19 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I'm sort of torn between submitting a matching scholarship request before or after the deposit deadline. I'll definitely be depositing, and I feel like it'll make sense to do it afterwards when money frees up, but I'll lose some leverage as only my other deposited schools scholarships will be in play.

Protip: don't tell them you withdrew elsewhere.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Word.

Though if I wait, and they get enough deposits to assume that losing me as a matriculating student won't affect their medians, I could be SOL in terms of seeing a scholarship bump.

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:29 pm

I personally am waiting for grants to come in before deciding.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Attax wrote:Have any in staters, especially those who are UT UGs (if I'm not the only one here) get their info yet? Still nothing here.

Texas resident used to go to ut received info yesterday

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:03 am

Attax wrote:Have any in staters, especially those who are UT UGs (if I'm not the only one here) get their info yet? Still nothing here.

Texas resident, didn't go to UT for UG, and still nothing but static over here.

eaper

Postby eaper » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Hey, I'm currently a 2L at Texas. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have. You can post in here, but I may not notice unless it comes with a PM as well.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:32 pm

Financial aid posted today and no grants. Sticker shock has me like :shock:

Since I was admitted recently, I'm holding out hope for some $. Hopefully financial aid posting =/= scholarship amounts finalized.

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 pm

where do we go to pay the initial deposit?

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 pm

TheWalrus wrote:where do we go to pay the initial deposit?

"What I Owe"

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Finally got my finaid info. Disappointed in the grant seeing as my EFC is 0 and I have no income/assets to report. I thought grants were 3-5K?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:10 pm

El Principe wrote:Finally got my finaid info. Disappointed in the grant seeing as my EFC is 0 and I have no income/assets to report. I thought grants were 3-5K?

I don't remember what it looks like, but i remember thinking my grant was tiny because it was posted as 2 $750 grants per semester. I'm a typical law student when it comes to numbers, so I didn't realize that was 3K at first.

matilda0401

Postby matilda0401 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 pm

This may be a long shot, but would anyone be willing to share (maybe via PM) if you have been offered/accepted the Equal Justice or G. Rollie White Scholarship? They said I would be notified within two weeks of interviewing, and that window just ended. I'm anxious to know either way!

Attax

Postby Attax » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Yay! I'm the lucky person who's financial aid info still isn't posted.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:40 am

Does anyone know if there is still a possibility that scholarships will be sent out for those who (a) are recent admits and (b) already received financial aid?

TheWalrus

Postby TheWalrus » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:08 pm

just paid my seat deposit, hope to see the rest of y'all there in the fall.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”