Texas Class of 2017

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
shifty_eyed

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:I get the idea that living in reasonable walking distance (20 mins or less) to the school (w/ a SO) is going to pretty unlikely, Austin isn't terribly bike-friendly, public transportation is awful, and parking is expensive and terrible. Is that all correct?

Does there exist a neat area near the law school where one could reasonably survive/enjoy town without a car?

Not a deal breaker, but it's one of my favorite aspects of my current living situation, and I kind of dread a different arrangement (and I don't have a new car in the budget).

There are a number of apartment complexes within walking distance. Check for listings labeled North Campus or Hyde Park.

I wouldn't want to live without a car, but it's doable.

Re: scholarship matching: they match based on what your COA will be, not based on dollar amount.

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:Anybody 100% sure they'll be at UT this fall?

99.9% sure.

Will_McAvoy wrote:I get the idea that living in reasonable walking distance (20 mins or less) to the school (w/ a SO) is going to pretty unlikely, Austin isn't terribly bike-friendly, public transportation is awful, and parking is expensive and terrible. Is that all correct?

Does there exist a neat area near the law school where one could reasonably survive/enjoy town without a car?

Not a deal breaker, but it's one of my favorite aspects of my current living situation, and I kind of dread a different arrangement (and I don't have a new car in the budget).

Not sure where the idea of Austin not being bike-friendly came from. It is very bike friendly in my opinion.
parking is expensive and terrible, however.

Apartment locators are wonderful for helping. I found a place under budget that is about 3 blocks from the LS.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm

What are the costs like for places in North Campus or Hyde Park?

Attax, what kind of locator did you use and did it cost anything? Feel free to PM me.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:28 pm

cannibal ox wrote:What are the costs like for places in North Campus or Hyde Park?

Attax, what kind of locator did you use and did it cost anything? Feel free to PM me.

Ditto. If there's any kind of living info stuff, could you PM me as well?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Attax

Postby Attax » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 pm

My place is North Campus, about 3 blocks from the law school. $975/month for a 1/1 all bills (excluding internet) included, about 700 sq.ft. My original budget was $850/month max, but with the bills included it was worth it. My other options that fell in my price range in North Campus were:

350 sq. ft. studio without a damn kitchen: $500/month, approx 10 blocks away
450 sq. ft. studio, $600/month, approx 10 blocks away
700 sq. ft. 1/1 loft, $875/month, approx 30 blocks away

All were on/along bus routes.

I used these guys:

http://www.realtyprosaustin.com/

And used Anthony.

DISCLAIMER: Anthony is a personal friend of mine, I receive no commission nor kick-back from them. I will honestly say it was the best experience I've had in terms of finding something. I told him my price range, general area, what I needed in a place. He found places, took me around, we went for a few weeks until he helped me find a place I really loved.

TexanDC

Postby TexanDC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:00 am

Hey everyone, I've been lurking this thread for the past hour, I'm a recent admit (WOOHOO!) but was wondering about y'all's experience with negotiating. I read that a couple of you negotiated from nothing to big dollar scholarships, and was just curious how soon after being accepted you decided to contact Ms. Ingram. I was admitted a little over a week ago and have heard it can take a few weeks to get scholarship info, but I have another school offering me a full ride that is asking for commitment by April 1st (which in the grand scheme of things, isn't too far away... :( ).

SO just curious on what you would suggest for negotiating, better to send her an email devoting my everlasting love to UT now or wait a bit longer to potentially get info in the mail? Is it bad to jump the shark?

Thanks for y'all's help! Hope to be there with ya in the Fall! :)

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:04 am

Congrats, TexanDC!

More specific info about the matching program can be found here:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... match.html

I think I'm the only one who has talked otherwise about it, but I was a bit of a special case (or so I like to think) and would honestly not recommend reaching out directly. Scholarship info should be in within 3-4 weeks.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:05 am

Thanks for the links shifty and Attax. What I take away from them is.. I need to find a roommate. Seems like quality jumps way up and price way down for 2BR compared to 1BR.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:11 am

cannibal ox wrote:Thanks for the links shifty and Attax. What I take away from them is.. I need to find a roommate. Seems like quality jumps way up and price way down for 2BR compared to 1BR.

Definitely. Also, I know you have expressed interest in not being super close. Shuttle lines run from the Far West area, Lake Austin area, East Campus area (where I currently live, but more neighborhoody/hipstery), Riverside/Oltorf (but do NOT recommend it), and the Lamar bus comes by campus frequently. The central location brings a lot of transportation towards Austin. North campus/hyde park is just nice because of its convenient location. I currently rent a house with two others and we all pay less than $600/month in a nice neighborhood if that is more your type of living environment over apartments.

TexanDC

Postby TexanDC » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:12 am

Thank you, Attax! :)

Yeah, I don't want to come off as desperate (although, let's be real, who isn't desperate for scholarships?), but UT is my #1. It's just that taking out an absurd amount of loans seems silly when another school is offering a full ride. I'll probably give it til the middle of the month and if I don't hear anything, reevaluate my strategy. Hopefully I can negotiate with them and see some results, if need-be! Fingers crossed!

waddle

Postby waddle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:11 am

BigZuck wrote:

There's tons of housing just north of the law school in Hyde Park. Seems like most students live in that are and just walk to school or hop on a shuttle for a short ride that drops you off right next to the law school.

Yeah, I went for undergrad and I'd second that. Also, I think Austin is pretty bike-friendly, and every time I visit again it seems like there are more bike lanes. A ton of students bike.

BigBlackTruck

Postby BigBlackTruck » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:49 am

Last edited by BigBlackTruck on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Postby Attax » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:16 pm

BigBlackTruck wrote:Not sure what is up with UT, but they decided not to give me any money (for initial scholarships). GPA & LSAT >75ths--I wrote Why UT too, since I have a genuine interest in coming to Texas.

I hope their scholarship matching is generous, because Michigan and Vandy have given me some hefty scholarships. I was fairly certain I was going to choose UT, but I can't justify it without a scholarship close to what I've been offered.

I really think UT is using the matching more. I get this vibe that they don't want to be just a pawn for people and they don't want to play the negotiation game too much, so probably low initial offers and then later will match COA for competitive numbers.

El Principe

Postby El Principe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:15 am

BigBlackTruck wrote:Not sure what is up with UT, but they decided not to give me any money (for initial scholarships). GPA & LSAT >75ths--I wrote Why UT too, since I have a genuine interest in coming to Texas.

I hope their scholarship matching is generous, because Michigan and Vandy have given me some hefty scholarships. I was fairly certain I was going to choose UT, but I can't justify it without a scholarship close to what I've been offered.

Did you ask? I called and asked if when they were supposed to send scholly info and they said it could perhaps take up to 3 weeks between acceptance letter and scholarships.

So if you just didn't get anything with your acceptance letter like some others did, there may be a chance.

I'd call and check before I give up.

BigBlackTruck

Postby BigBlackTruck » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 am

Last edited by BigBlackTruck on Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Cunado

Postby El Cunado » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 am

""Thanks for your request for the Matching Financial Aid program. The committee will start evaluating these requests in a few weeks. Let us know if you have any further questions""

---The reply after I sent in my offers to be matched

TexanDC

Postby TexanDC » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:22 am

Well I guess I should send mine in ASAP then, considering I have til April 1st to decide on the school offering a full ride. Do any of y'all know whether schools will allow you to push back the decision date..?

Attax

Postby Attax » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:56 am

TexanDC wrote:Well I guess I should send mine in ASAP then, considering I have til April 1st to decide on the school offering a full ride. Do any of y'all know whether schools will allow you to push back the decision date..?

You can submit multiple seat deposits to schools you may be attending, they aren't a set in stone "I will be attending" though.

actexas

Postby actexas » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Some T14 schools will only allow one deposit (except waitlisting ones).

actexas

Postby actexas » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 pm

I got my merit scholarship $$$$$ in Jan about two weeks after admin.
I will pass it to someone else as most likely as I am going to T14 targetting national BigLaws
FYI (168, 3.9+)

futago

Postby futago » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:19 am

I know this was discussed a little before but how about much would it cost to live within walking distance of the school for a married student? I would really like to live within walking distance if at all possible.

coolbean2013

Postby coolbean2013 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am

For those of you waiting for scholarship offers, it took almost 2 months after I was accepted to receive a scholarship offer, which was quite generous (via email). I was starting to think I wouldn't get anything because it seemed that a lot of people were getting offers 2-4 weeks after their acceptance. So hopefully money is on the way for all of you still waiting!
Last edited by coolbean2013 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:29 am

Looking through my admission paperwork, I just realized that digital student photos were due on March 1st. I'm sure it's not too late, but if you haven't submitted yours yet, now would probably be the time.

McAvoy

Postby McAvoy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am

Huh? I could have sworn freshlaw said July.

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”