Texas Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Attax

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Post by Attax » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am

No schollie letter yet, but was accepted late December.

For those of you who received letters:
1. When did you get accepted?
2. GPA/LSAT?
3. Amount?

If you don't mind. Just so we can know a bit about what to expect.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:31 am

Attax wrote:No schollie letter yet, but was accepted late December.

2. GPA/LSAT?
3. Amount?

Using LSN for this stuff would be best, then it can help out more people both now and in the future. People can also make different usernames there if they don't want their numbers tied to their TLS identity.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:37 am

BigZuck wrote:

2. GPA/LSAT?
3. Amount?

Using LSN for this stuff would be best, then it can help out more people both now and in the future. People can also make different usernames there if they don't want their numbers tied to their TLS identity.
True. I check LSN, but there's only 3 or 4 people reporting on there. Granted, one of them is right near my stats so that is surely helpful.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am

2. GPA/LSAT?
3. Amount?

I'm kind of a weird case, but here's one more data point:

1) Early in the ED cycle (just before Thanksgiving)
2) 2.6/170
3) $1k per year

I wouldn't consider that a representative scholarship amount, though. I suspect the adcomms know that because of the GI Bill, a scholarship doesn't actually do me any good. But this allows them to include me in the ABA report among the percentage of admitted students who were offered a scholarship, and I think it was a nice gesture. With my uGPA and the fact that I applied ED, they didn't have to offer me anything at all.

They actually told me about the scholarship in my acceptance voicemail, and it was also in the acceptance letter that came a few days later, so I didn't get a separate scholarship letter at any point in the process.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:41 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
I'm kind of a weird case, but here's one more data point:

1) Early in the ED cycle (just before Thanksgiving)
2) 2.6/170
3) $1k per year

I wouldn't consider that a representative scholarship amount, though. I suspect the adcomms know that because of the GI Bill, a scholarship doesn't actually do me any good. But this allows them to include me in the ABA report among the percentage of admitted students who were offered a scholarship, and I think it was a nice gesture. With my uGPA and the fact that I applied ED, they didn't have to offer me anything at all.

They actually told me about the scholarship in my acceptance voicemail, and it was also in the acceptance letter that came a few days later, so I didn't get a separate scholarship letter at any point in the process.
Thanks, Scott. I saw your number on there and it seemed relatively low compared to many of the other offers, although glad to see people in my general range are getting some $. I'd like at least $10k/year, but any would be nice. Did they know when you applied you planned on paying via GI benefits? I'm using Hazelwood benefits but didn't make it explicitly known to them yet. I wanted to see what they would offer before beginning the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm

Attax wrote:
Thanks, Scott. I saw your number on there and it seemed relatively low compared to many of the other offers, although glad to see people in my general range are getting some $. I'd like at least $10k/year, but any would be nice. Did they know when you applied you planned on paying via GI benefits?
I didn't mention it, but they'd have likely been able to tell from my resumé that I'm GI-Bill eligible (although not necessarily - I could have already transferred all of my benefits to a spouse or child).

How does the Hazlewood Act work with scholarships? Does the Act pay all tuition/fees, and you get to pocket the scholarships? Or are the Hazlewood payments reduced by the amount of any scholarships you earn, similar to what the Post-9/11 GI Bill does?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Attax wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

2. GPA/LSAT?
3. Amount?

True. I check LSN, but there's only 3 or 4 people reporting on there. Granted, one of them is right near my stats so that is surely helpful.
I'm reasonably sure I have same LSN name and that my offer is there. Feel free to PM if not.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 pm

ScottRiqui wrote: I didn't mention it, but they'd have likely been able to tell from my resumé that I'm GI-Bill eligible (although not necessarily - I could have already transferred all of my benefits to a spouse or child).

How does the Hazlewood Act work with scholarships? Does the Act pay all tuition/fees, and you get to pocket the scholarships? Or are the Hazlewood payments reduced by the amount of any scholarships you earn, similar to what the Post-9/11 GI Bill does?
My understanding, and feel free to message me on facebook about it, is that Hazelwood pays for the tuition based on hours (only 150 hours). I would HOPE that you get to pocket the scholarships. I'll do some research and get back to you on this.

EDIT: Checked their FAQs and saw nothing. I would THINK you would get the money back, but not sure fully. My reasoning is because Hazelwood is just tuition exemption: they aren't paying the tuition for you. Since they really aren't losing the money out in payments, there is nothing to be compensated for. I'll do some more research and find out.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:47 pm

That BBQ post on the facebook page......

Welp. Guess I know what I'm doing for dinner!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angels2fly

Bronze

Post by angels2fly » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Stoked to be checking in

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:58 pm

angels2fly wrote:Stoked to be checking in
welcome! :D

golfboy

New

Post by golfboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Got the call today. Excited to have a legitimate reason to get down to Austin and check out all of the great things I have heard!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:03 am

golfboy wrote:Got the call today. Excited to have a legitimate reason to get down to Austin and check out all of the great things I have heard!
Congrats! And it is a wonderful city :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adambl

New

Post by adambl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Got the call and I'll very likely be coming to UT! I live around Austin so this is my dream school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

I can confirm that Austin is, indeed, an awesome city.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:27 pm

there's no official ASW right?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Mojosodope wrote:there's no official ASW right?
Unless they changed their policies (doubtful) there should be something in Austin in April.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Unless they changed their policies (doubtful) there should be something in Austin in April.
There's an ASD in Austin on March 20-21, as well as some regional days earlier: Dallas - Jan. 29, DC - Feb. 4, NYC - Feb. 5, and Houston - Feb. 20

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
There's an ASD in Austin on March 20-21, as well as some regional days earlier: Dallas - Jan. 29, DC - Feb. 4, NYC - Feb. 5, and Houston - Feb. 20
Thanks! I forgot to add these. I'll put these up for now.

Thrive

Bronze

Post by Thrive » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:28 am

Hey guys, how long is the typical wait for scholarship info from UT? Its been a month since admission. Also, is there a particular person there I need to speak with?

LeC0C0

New

Post by LeC0C0 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:37 pm

ugh..anyone have info about the NYC event? i'm facebook-less.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:47 pm

LeC0C0 wrote:ugh..anyone have info about the NYC event? i'm facebook-less.
I don't know any specifics, but if you currently live anywhere near the NYC area, you should get an emailed invitation soon. I received an invitation yesterday for the DC event, which makes sense because I'm in Virginia.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:13 pm

Thrive wrote:Hey guys, how long is the typical wait for scholarship info from UT? Its been a month since admission. Also, is there a particular person there I need to speak with?
Check the Facebook page. Monica just posted a, shall we say, interesting message about merit scholarships.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:13 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
Thrive wrote:Hey guys, how long is the typical wait for scholarship info from UT? Its been a month since admission. Also, is there a particular person there I need to speak with?
Check the Facebook page. Monica just posted a, shall we say, interesting message about merit scholarships.
Definitely. I want to email her regarding my question. I would like to at least know I'm not being given any money at the moment.

I sent her an email, will report back here once I know more info for those of us who were admitted right around Christmas time.

Doctolaw

New

Post by Doctolaw » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Saw the Facebook post, and then five minutes later the mailman showed up with my scholarship info. Not very much - $5k/per year. I was accepted 1/7, fwiw.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”