Texas Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
Attax

Gold

Texas Class of 2017

Post by Attax » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:07 am

Welcome to the Longhorn Family!

Links:

Class of 2017 Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/200905883419566/

Longhorn+ FB group for Married/Partnered Longhorns: https://www.facebook.com/groups/274353499302607/

Housing FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/579827005413621/

Official Transcripts: Submit prior to entering by mail to

The University of Texas, Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC)
P.O Box 7156
Austin, TX 78713-7156

Digital Photo: By July 1, 2014, upload a digital photo by logging into https://www.utexas.edu/law/sao/stu_photo/sao_hoto.php

Vaccinations:
By first day of the semester, send in proof of
1. Meningococcal Vaccine
2. TB (international students only)

See you in class, and Hook 'Em!

Section 1:
Kool-Aid
Nightingale

Section 2:
Theaggielonghorn
Cannibal Ox

Section 3:
Ponyboy

Section 4:
Attax
Propanepropane
ScottRiqui
Camelthing
Bigfudge
Last edited by Attax on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 22 times in total.

cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:07 am

Aww yiss.

Muh.

Fuckin'.

Texas.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 am

cannibal ox wrote:Aww yiss.

Muh.

Fuckin'.

Texas.
Hell yeah! In the phone call Dean told me that they are sending out facebook info too, so looks like they have an official facebook group they're going to be running for admitted students.
Last edited by Attax on Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Checking in! Solid chance I end up at Texas.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Checking in!

I got in a while a go, before Thanksgiving actually. (Dean?) Riley called me while I was at the airport boarding a plane down here to Houston. Sorry if that's bragging. . . I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes). I hope you'll forgive any transgressions

My family is a bit new to the Lone Star Republic. Been a Jersey boy most of my life. While in state tuition is certainly a great reason to come down to Austin, looking for some realer reasons. Soooooooo anything I should be saying or doing around here? Any insight on what I should be looking for in comparing law schools (and I wouldn't blame you if you suggested criteria that favored Tejas).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm

UserNameHere wrote:Checking in!

I got in a while a go, before Thanksgiving actually. (Dean?) Riley called me while I was at the airport boarding a plane down here to Houston. Sorry if that's bragging. . . I'm rather new to the forum world in these here interwebs (I also just thought it was a series of tubes). I hope you'll forgive any transgressions

My family is a bit new to the Lone Star Republic. Been a Jersey boy most of my life. While in state tuition is certainly a great reason to come down to Austin, looking for some realer reasons. Soooooooo anything I should be saying or doing around here? Any insight on what I should be looking for in comparing law schools (and I wouldn't blame you if you suggested criteria that favored Tejas).
Congrats, not bragging, we all got in haha.

Welcome to Texas. A few reasons why we are better than every one else:
1. Summers/winters. Summers can get brutally hot, especially in Austin, but that's why we go swimming or chill in our 72º naturally cooled springs (Barton Creek in Austin).
2. Dat BBQ
3. Football
4. Plenty more others.

But, if you're looking at reasons to go to the law school, then there are quite a few good reasons:
1. Right outside the T14, and if they can pull some good numbers who knows, they may pass GTown here soon.
2. Large school of UT has great resources.
3. If you want to practice in Texas, you really won't find a better option, especially if you're wanting to work in Austin.
4. In state, it is pretty reasonably cheap.
5. I'd say it is one of the few schools that has great nation-wide recognition.
6. The general environment around UT (I'd assume it extends to the law school), is not one of cutthroat competition, but instead collaboration and helping one another. The University has recently taken some initiatives because it felt like the students were colluding a bit too much, actually.

There's plenty of other reasons, just do some research. I know I'm excited to be at Texas, but I also stood no chance at HYSCCP, so YMMV.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:58 pm

Checking in. I'm in the "nothing to do on the tracker now that i've been accepted" stage, so out of boredom I've added my vehicles to my "parking profile", and have been trying to figure out the best way to get a parking pass for the SJ garage.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:53 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:Checking in. I'm in the "nothing to do on the tracker now that i've been accepted" stage, so out of boredom I've added my vehicles to my "parking profile", and have been trying to figure out the best way to get a parking pass for the SJ garage.
Parking can be a bitch and expensive. SJ has a ton of crime, the most out of any garage on campus. The "C" lots near the LBJ library aren't too far away. Only about a 5-10 minute walk.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:41 am

Attax wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:Checking in. I'm in the "nothing to do on the tracker now that i've been accepted" stage, so out of boredom I've added my vehicles to my "parking profile", and have been trying to figure out the best way to get a parking pass for the SJ garage.
Parking can be a bitch and expensive. SJ has a ton of crime, the most out of any garage on campus. The "C" lots near the LBJ library aren't too far away. Only about a 5-10 minute walk.
Is the crime mostly vandalism/theft, or are people being attacked on campus? I found the "C" lot you were talking about, and it does seem pretty close. On any given day, do you have a good chance of finding a spot there, or is a "C" permit really just a "hunting license"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:39 pm

ScottRiqui wrote: Is the crime mostly vandalism/theft, or are people being attacked on campus? I found the "C" lot you were talking about, and it does seem pretty close. On any given day, do you have a good chance of finding a spot there, or is a "C" permit really just a "hunting license"?
Very unlikely to get attacked on campus. I think in my past four years (with the exclusion of armed gunmen of course), there has been 1 attack directly on campus. A good bit of harassment from drunk hobos happens 4 or 5 times per year, but violence on others is really unlikely and not seen separate from West Campus, which I would recommend avoiding if you don't like/care for the loud, riotous, undergrad party scene all the time. As far as places near campus, north campus/hyde park is your best relatively inexpensive bet. I'd avoid Riverside/Oltorf area. In my 1 year there, I was robbed 3 times, had my motorcycles vandalized 5 times, hit and run once.

Sorry, went off topic there. It is mostly vandlism/theft. Keeping stuff out of your car is the best way to avoid this, but it is much more likely and happens much more frequently in the garages than in the "C" lots. For that "C" lot, I almost always have a spot if I'm there for a 9AM or earlier class, after that it is hit or miss. There is another "C" lot that is over near the baseball fields (across 35), but a shuttle comes to it about every 10-15 minutes, and it picks up directly in front of the law school (although, it has a delay and is faster to get off and walk at one of two spots rather than ride it all the way around).

Hope that helps. I had a garage permit my first year, and honestly felt it was far from worth it. You can't use the convenient garages on game days. If you are parked there, despite having a permit, you have to pay for the time there (24 hours), a parking violation for unauthorized parking ($25-$50), plus towing ($125). This is during fridays the entire fall semester, and any special events. The "C" lots don't have this exclusion, as your parking pass gets you in the lots. They sometimes block one of the baseball lots, but there's always adequate parking in one of the many baseball lots. There is also motorcycle parking right next to the law school, and in sanjac garage. With any permit, you get a Motorcycle "M" permit for free. I never have issue finding parking around the main undergrad areas, and the law school, although on main campus, is a bit secluded so I'd imagine that there aren't many problems finding parking there either.

GGforLSAT

New

Post by GGforLSAT » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:35 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
Attax wrote:
Is the crime mostly vandalism/theft, or are people being attacked on campus? I found the "C" lot you were talking about, and it does seem pretty close. On any given day, do you have a good chance of finding a spot there, or is a "C" permit really just a "hunting license"?
1L who parks in the C lot every morning.

Classes are generally early enough that you won't have to go too far out of your way to secure a spot. That said, I still arrived at least an hour before my classes each morning (I arrived at about 7:30-8:00 am). I find that arriving at 9am is too late to secure a spot unless you want to walk across the highway. If you don't mind walking across the highway, you can probably show up as late as 10. But then you have roughly a mile walk to the law school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:32 am

Current UT 1L checking in, feel free to ask questions or let me know if I can help in any way.

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Attax wrote:
1. Summers/winters. Summers can get brutally hot, especially in Austin, but that's why we go swimming or chill in our 72º naturally cooled springs (Barton Creek in Austin).
2. Dat BBQ
3. Football
4. Plenty more others.
5. The girls are hotter in Texas.
6. People (generally) have good manners.
7. No state-income tax.
8. Texas culture is a bit cultish, so people at firms believe UTexas > most of the T-14s.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:59 pm

GGforLSAT wrote: 1L who parks in the C lot every morning.

Classes are generally early enough that you won't have to go too far out of your way to secure a spot. That said, I still arrived at least an hour before my classes each morning (I arrived at about 7:30-8:00 am). I find that arriving at 9am is too late to secure a spot unless you want to walk across the highway. If you don't mind walking across the highway, you can probably show up as late as 10. But then you have roughly a mile walk to the law school.
Or you can take the East Campus bus :P That's what I've been doing the past four years, but would prefer that C lot.
Workingtitle wrote:
Attax wrote:
2. Dat BBQ
3. Football
4. Plenty more others.
7. No state-income tax.
8. Texas culture is a bit cultish, so people at firms know UTexas > all of the T-14s.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Edited initial post.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Letter from Dean Farnsworth coming in the mail. Isn't scholarship info :/

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:41 am

Was it different than the "3 Reasons to Choose Austin" letter? I got that almost 2 weeks after my acceptance packet and thought it was scholarship information for sure. Either way, thanks for the heads up, I hopefully won't have another heart racing moment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Was it different than the "3 Reasons to Choose Austin" letter? I got that almost 2 weeks after my acceptance packet and thought it was scholarship information for sure. Either way, thanks for the heads up, I hopefully won't have another heart racing moment.
Nope, is just that letter exactly! Had to look at it, but def just the 3 reasons letter.

UserNameHere

Bronze

Post by UserNameHere » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:37 am

Workingtitle wrote:
Attax wrote:
2. Dat BBQ
3. Football
4. Plenty more others.
7. No state-income tax.
8. Texas culture is a bit cultish, so people at firms believe UTexas > most of the T-14s.
Anybody know which cities UT generally sends graduates to. . . both in state and out? (Sorry, I'm a bit lazy today)

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:10 pm

UserNameHere wrote:
Anybody know which cities UT generally sends graduates to. . . both in state and out? (Sorry, I'm a bit lazy today)
I don't know exactly, but if I had to guess the top cities, in no particular order, would be Austin, Dallas, Houston.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:48 am

anyone else get scholarship info today?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:09 am

Nope, but I'm not a resident so if it was USPS then that makes sense. How'd they send it?

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:35 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Nope, but I'm not a resident so if it was USPS then that makes sense. How'd they send it?

USPS, regular sized letter envelope, 1 page letter. Sent from "UT Law Office of Financial Aid."

Workingtitle

New

Post by Workingtitle » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm

I got my scholarship offer about 3 weeks after I got the acceptance call.

SonlenNightfall

New

Post by SonlenNightfall » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Pneumonia wrote:anyone else get scholarship info today?
Got my letter today. Not as much money as I was hoping, so it looks like I may be in for some long scholarship negotiations...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”