Texas Class of 2017 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: Texas Class of 2017

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 pm

cannibal ox wrote:I can't make it down until the first week of April, otherwise I'd be down to get a group together. I'll be visiting on a non Accepted Students Day so I'll inevitably be a loner on campus, haha.

Changing subjects, via Facebook:
Monica Ingram wrote: FYI, we're waiting to hear back on 2014 tuition proposals...we have a 85% chance of not having the law school's tuition increased for the third straight year. I'll keep you posted. We should know a little more by April 1.
On the Financial Aid portion of UT's website (link here) it shows different tuition rates for 1Ls and for continuing students, so wouldn't that mean tuition HAS increased in the last 3 years?
Hmmm... Yeah I am almost positive that tuition went up from class of 2014 to class of 2015. It definitely stayed the same for 2016 though. Maybe she meant that 3 straight classes will pay the same price? Idk.

alabamF2

New

Post by alabamF2 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 am

Anyone taking the shuttle at 11 AM tomorrow for the Segway tour or going directly to the Segway tour at 12 PM? I'll be around if anyone wants a TLS friend lol.

Feel free to reply on here or PM me.

EDIT: If anyone is looking for a good and quick place to eat while they visit for ASD, I suggest VERTS Kebab. Just had it for lunch and it was the best kebab I've ever had. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/VERTS+ ... 49d591aa42

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:01 pm

alabamF2 wrote:Anyone taking the shuttle at 11 AM tomorrow for the Segway tour or going directly to the Segway tour at 12 PM? I'll be around if anyone wants a TLS friend lol.

EDIT: If anyone is looking for a good and quick place to eat while they visit for ASD, I suggest VERTS Kebab. Just had it for lunch and it was the best kebab I've ever had. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/VERTS+ ... 49d591aa42
Verts is pretty good. Every time they open a new one they give away free food all day. I'd also recommend, especially around campus, Kerbey Lane Cafe.

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Flying into Austin tomorrow afternoon, so no segways for me. What's good for tomorrow night? haha

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Verts is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wildcat43

New

Post by wildcat43 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:01 pm

I am going on the 2:00 segway tour. Anyone else? Also as far as Thursday night is concerned, I am open to going out for some drinks if anyone else is, or whatever really.

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Anyone have any luck negotiating scholarships? PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking publicly.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:38 pm

gimmedanger wrote:Anyone have any luck negotiating scholarships? PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking publicly.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Had instate+ 15K a year last year initially. 30K a year at Duke/Cornell got them up to 18K when I submitted my matching request (also had Minnesota full ride, 23K a year at Northwestern, 40K a year at USC, etc. but Duke and Cornell offers were the best)

When WUSTL did that WUSTL thing and gave everyone full rides I emailed them again and went up from 18K a year to 20K a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Nice, thanks. So did you send them all of those offers or just a few? That's what I'm concerned about: do I send two or maybe three, or do all that are above their number (that are reasonable peers)? It seems a bit disingenuous to say "I really want UT, but I'm stuck considering these seven schools."

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Nice, thanks. So did you send them all of those offers or just a few? That's what I'm concerned about: do I send two or maybe three, or do all that are above their number (that are reasonable peers)? It seems a bit disingenuous to say "I really want UT, but I'm stuck considering these seven schools."
I struggled with that too. I would only show them schools ranked in the top 20 and below and I would be selective. And if you have, say, a UVA offer that is clearly better than an Emory offer then don't bother with the Emory offer.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Will_McAvoy wrote:Nice, thanks. So did you send them all of those offers or just a few? That's what I'm concerned about: do I send two or maybe three, or do all that are above their number (that are reasonable peers)? It seems a bit disingenuous to say "I really want UT, but I'm stuck considering these seven schools."
I struggled with that too. I would only show them schools ranked in the top 20 and below and I would be selective. And if you have, say, a UVA offer that is clearly better than an Emory offer then don't bother with the Emory offer.
This is my struggle. My top offers would really only get me a few more $ at UT, but I have no offers from higher ranked schools. I wish WUSTL would give me more already.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Now that it's a "matching" program, would you say it's worth it to send say a Cornell offer that is maybe half your UT offer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't think the word matching means anything, they'll give you more if they feel like it or they'll stand pat if they feel like it.

If the Cornell offer is the best you have, then go for it. If its any guideline at all, 90K at Cornell took me from 45K to 54K at UT.

Is the deadline to submit a request coming up soon or something? You guys can't wait to see if you get an offer from another school that might motivate them? I would wait as long as possible, but that's just my opinion.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Sounds good, thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately, personal factors mandate a decision within a few weeks for me.

Side note -- is LW/R graded at UT?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Will_McAvoy wrote:Sounds good, thanks for your advice.

Unfortunately, personal factors mandate a decision within a few weeks for me.

Side note -- is LW/R graded at UT?
It's graded and it sucks.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 pm

I'm at the LS now, waiting for the walking tour. Tall guy, blue shirt, black glasses, with backpack. Feel free to come and say hi, I'm making my way to the Atrium

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

truckstop

New

Post by truckstop » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Attax wrote:
alabamF2 wrote:Anyone taking the shuttle at 11 AM tomorrow for the Segway tour or going directly to the Segway tour at 12 PM? I'll be around if anyone wants a TLS friend lol.

Verts is pretty good. Every time they open a new one they give away free food all day. I'd also recommend, especially around campus, Kerbey Lane Cafe.
All I want is Kerbey Queso. Someone go get Kerbey Queso, please.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:16 pm

truckstop wrote:
Attax wrote:

All I want is Kerbey Queso. Someone go get Kerbey Queso, please.
I'm down for post-LS tourney Queso.

BTW, I am now in the atrium, near the sign that says "LS tour meet here." I'm also fairly early, but feel free to come up and say hi!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:38 pm

Attax, you should bug them to share the 2013 employment data they released to the ABA.

And I'd come join you if I weren't 1,200 miles away.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:10 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Attax, you should bug them to share the 2013 employment data they released to the ABA.

I think I got grouped with this guy. Half of our group didn't even notice his question and were still staring blankly while the other half glared at the guy who asked those questions; clearly TLSer sharks who smelt the blood of a gunner among us.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:19 pm

El Principe wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Attax, you should bug them to share the 2013 employment data they released to the ABA.

I think I got grouped with this guy. Half of our group didn't even notice his question and were still staring blankly while the other half glared at the guy who asked those questions; clearly TLSer sharks who smelt the blood of a gunner among us.
I didn't ask about employment since the CSO told us we would get it tomorrow morning. I'll post it up here via mobile once I get it for everyone.

El Principe. I was in one of the smaller groups (like 7 of us) with Lauren, a red headed 2L. But I did seem to be the only one in my group asking questions.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Attax wrote:I didn't ask about employment since the CSO told us we would get it tomorrow morning. I'll post it up here via mobile once I get it for everyone.
Thanks, boss.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:25 pm

Attax wrote:
El Principe wrote:

I didn't ask about employment since the CSO told us we would get it tomorrow morning. I'll post it up here via mobile once I get it for everyone.

El Principe. I was in one of the smaller groups (like 7 of us) with Lauren, a red headed 2L. But I did seem to be the only one in my group asking questions.
Oh okay, so we have a lurker among us. I wasn't in your group.

It seemed as if the kid was trying to grill our tour guide though. Like, how the hell is she supposed to have the info before the school has even posted it.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 pm

El Principe wrote: Oh okay, so we have a lurker among us. I wasn't in your group.

It seemed as if the kid was trying to grill our tour guide though. Like, how the hell is she supposed to have the info before the school has even posted it.
We must find him!

I wasn't going to ask questions I didn't know, but some I was legit concerned about such as UG presence in the LS (I've had people schedule study groups to meet there). As well as where most law students live (I basically wanted validation that my choice was correct).

EDIT: for those wondering the responses. Apparently the law students have a good means of outing the UGs and asking them to leave.

For housing, our guide recommended North Campus/Hyde Park, Far West, and Downtown.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”