George Washington Class of 2017/18

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2017)
nightshade
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby nightshade » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 pm

nmic wrote:
nightshade wrote:For the people who sent negotiation emails, can I ask whom you emailed? Did you email the dean or the Financial Aid office directly?


Admissions Office: inatgw@law.gwu.edu

Financial Aid does not handle scholarships.


Thanks!

User avatar
nmic
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby nmic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:32 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
mysecretweapon wrote:
uncreative wrote:
mysecretweapon wrote:has anyone that did not previously receive a merit scholarship try to negotiate something now that the April 1st deadline has passed?


I did, they said they'd let me know by 4/10.



Yup, just got a similar email. Thanks!


Did you guys follow up again since 4/1 or was this unsolicited?


Unsolicited in my case.

mec246
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby mec246 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 pm

I submitted a scholarship reconsideration letter via email this morning. Seems like I got the same canned response as everyone else: they are still determining who has accepted the initial award offers, and once they determine how much funding they have left, they will redistribute to those who have expressed continued interest in attending GW. They said they will give me a final decision by April 10.

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby Nuj » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Is anyone familiar with GW's IP Law program? I was pre-med for a good chunk of Undergrad, so I'm actually ~8 credits short of qualifying to practice under Category B (iv), so I'm considering taking some summer classes to bridge the gap.

Yay or nay?

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby fLaw School Bound » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:03 am

Nuj wrote:Is anyone familiar with GW's IP Law program? I was pre-med for a good chunk of Undergrad, so I'm actually ~8 credits short of qualifying to practice under Category B (iv), so I'm considering taking some summer classes to bridge the gap.

Yay or nay?


If you have interest in patents, then go for it. IP is huge at GW and firms are constantly recruiting/wooing students with hard science backgrounds. It's a real kick the nuts of us poor unfortunate souls that have BA's. You don't necessarily have to finish all the credits prior to school though as you can take a few credits outside the law school and apply them to your degree. However I think the limit is six.

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby Nuj » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:45 am

fLaw School Bound wrote:
Nuj wrote:Is anyone familiar with GW's IP Law program? I was pre-med for a good chunk of Undergrad, so I'm actually ~8 credits short of qualifying to practice under Category B (iv), so I'm considering taking some summer classes to bridge the gap.

Yay or nay?


If you have interest in patents, then go for it. IP is huge at GW and firms are constantly recruiting/wooing students with hard science backgrounds. It's a real kick the nuts of us poor unfortunate souls that have BA's. You don't necessarily have to finish all the credits prior to school though as you can take a few credits outside the law school and apply them to your degree. However I think the limit is six.


Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to end up graduating with a BA as well, I just have some coursework I took early on in undergrad that's helping out.

fLaw School Bound
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby fLaw School Bound » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Nuj wrote:
fLaw School Bound wrote:
Nuj wrote:Is anyone familiar with GW's IP Law program? I was pre-med for a good chunk of Undergrad, so I'm actually ~8 credits short of qualifying to practice under Category B (iv), so I'm considering taking some summer classes to bridge the gap.

Yay or nay?


If you have interest in patents, then go for it. IP is huge at GW and firms are constantly recruiting/wooing students with hard science backgrounds. It's a real kick the nuts of us poor unfortunate souls that have BA's. You don't necessarily have to finish all the credits prior to school though as you can take a few credits outside the law school and apply them to your degree. However I think the limit is six.


Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to end up graduating with a BA as well, I just have some coursework I took early on in undergrad that's helping out.


If you did enough coursework to qualify for the patent bar, that's all that matters.

singftw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby singftw » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:28 am

Does anyone who attended the Housing panel during Preview Day remember the main points/tips they talked about? I went on the Aston tour, but of course I'd like to find someplace cheaper and of decent quality, with a reasonable commute.

User avatar
pabigelow5
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby pabigelow5 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:11 pm

singftw wrote:Does anyone who attended the Housing panel during Preview Day remember the main points/tips they talked about? I went on the Aston tour, but of course I'd like to find someplace cheaper and of decent quality, with a reasonable commute.


Sure, I can help. Basically they said (I can back this up and add to it, living in NOVA) a few things.

1) Foggy Bottom is obviously the most convenient, being within walking distance of the school, but pretty expensive. A roommate or two can be easy to find and a good way to lessen the price. Basement apartments are also a good option, but you have to be on Craigslist like a hawk to snatch one, because they tend to go pretty quickly. They typically include utilities too, which can save $100 or $200 a month. For a complex, you can expect to pay $1500-$2000 for a 1 br here, a basement slightly less.

2) Arlington or Alexandria. The closest urban/suburbs to Foggy Bottom and an easy commute on the Orange or Blue lines respectively. If you choose this, try to find a place within walking distance because the closer stations don't have parking and it's a pain to have to ride the bus to a station and then get on the train, or find a bus to take you back home after you get off the metro, especially if it's at an odd hour (2:00 AM after a bar hop, for example.) If you live in Crystal City or the Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area, it'll be a 25-10 minute commute, plus walking time to and from the metro. It'll cost about $3-$5 a day for a round trip depending on travel time. Again, basement apartments I these areas can be good finds. Complexes here run from $1300-$1800, with basements a bit less again.

3) Quality of life: Foggy Bottom got mixed reviews from the students. One said it was nice and one said it sucked. It's a pretty quiet DC neighborhood, not too many exciting places to go, but close enough for a quick metro ride to Penn Quarter, Adams Morgan, or Georgetown. Arlington is a neat place; a lot of college/grad school students. It has an urban suburban feel. A mall in Ballston and in Crystal City, and each has their share of bars, restaurants, and a few shops. Not cray nightlife, but definitely enough to keep you busy on the weekends or to give you a place to unwind after a long day. They're also both only 10 minutes further from Foggy Bottom, so anyplace you wanted to go to in or around FB is only 10 minutes more away in Arlington/Alexandria. Personally, I like Arlington the best. It has enough to do, but there's room to breath. More parks and open space than DC (and not as many restrictive laws...) The only benefit FB offers is that it's within walking distance of school, but to me the tradeoffs aren't worth it.

I've been looking for apartments for the past few months, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me!

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 am

pabigelow5 wrote:Arlington is a neat place; a lot of college/grad school students. It has an urban suburban feel. A mall in Ballston and in Crystal City, and each has their share of bars, restaurants, and a few shops. Not cray nightlife, but definitely enough to keep you busy on the weekends or to give you a place to unwind after a long day.


I've had an embarrassing number of cray nights at the Clarendon Ballroom

Nuj
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby Nuj » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Turns out the money finally came.

$16k a year bump.

singftw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby singftw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:08 am

pabigelow5 wrote:
Sure, I can help. Basically they said (I can back this up and add to it, living in NOVA) a few things.

1) Foggy Bottom is obviously the most convenient, being within walking distance of the school, but pretty expensive. A roommate or two can be easy to find and a good way to lessen the price. Basement apartments are also a good option, but you have to be on Craigslist like a hawk to snatch one, because they tend to go pretty quickly. They typically include utilities too, which can save $100 or $200 a month. For a complex, you can expect to pay $1500-$2000 for a 1 br here, a basement slightly less.

2) Arlington or Alexandria. The closest urban/suburbs to Foggy Bottom and an easy commute on the Orange or Blue lines respectively. If you choose this, try to find a place within walking distance because the closer stations don't have parking and it's a pain to have to ride the bus to a station and then get on the train, or find a bus to take you back home after you get off the metro, especially if it's at an odd hour (2:00 AM after a bar hop, for example.) If you live in Crystal City or the Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area, it'll be a 25-10 minute commute, plus walking time to and from the metro. It'll cost about $3-$5 a day for a round trip depending on travel time. Again, basement apartments I these areas can be good finds. Complexes here run from $1300-$1800, with basements a bit less again.

3) Quality of life: Foggy Bottom got mixed reviews from the students. One said it was nice and one said it sucked. It's a pretty quiet DC neighborhood, not too many exciting places to go, but close enough for a quick metro ride to Penn Quarter, Adams Morgan, or Georgetown. Arlington is a neat place; a lot of college/grad school students. It has an urban suburban feel. A mall in Ballston and in Crystal City, and each has their share of bars, restaurants, and a few shops. Not cray nightlife, but definitely enough to keep you busy on the weekends or to give you a place to unwind after a long day. They're also both only 10 minutes further from Foggy Bottom, so anyplace you wanted to go to in or around FB is only 10 minutes more away in Arlington/Alexandria. Personally, I like Arlington the best. It has enough to do, but there's room to breath. More parks and open space than DC (and not as many restrictive laws...) The only benefit FB offers is that it's within walking distance of school, but to me the tradeoffs aren't worth it.

I've been looking for apartments for the past few months, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me!


Thank you for this! When is it generally considered a good time to try to find and lock down an apartment? I heard that listings right now on Craigslist, etc. are mainly for summer rentals, though I may be very wrong about that. What is the usual lease length? Are there any apartments aside from the Aston that lease only during the academic year?

mec246
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby mec246 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:16 am

singftw wrote:
pabigelow5 wrote:
Sure, I can help. Basically they said (I can back this up and add to it, living in NOVA) a few things.

1) Foggy Bottom is obviously the most convenient, being within walking distance of the school, but pretty expensive. A roommate or two can be easy to find and a good way to lessen the price. Basement apartments are also a good option, but you have to be on Craigslist like a hawk to snatch one, because they tend to go pretty quickly. They typically include utilities too, which can save $100 or $200 a month. For a complex, you can expect to pay $1500-$2000 for a 1 br here, a basement slightly less.

2) Arlington or Alexandria. The closest urban/suburbs to Foggy Bottom and an easy commute on the Orange or Blue lines respectively. If you choose this, try to find a place within walking distance because the closer stations don't have parking and it's a pain to have to ride the bus to a station and then get on the train, or find a bus to take you back home after you get off the metro, especially if it's at an odd hour (2:00 AM after a bar hop, for example.) If you live in Crystal City or the Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area, it'll be a 25-10 minute commute, plus walking time to and from the metro. It'll cost about $3-$5 a day for a round trip depending on travel time. Again, basement apartments I these areas can be good finds. Complexes here run from $1300-$1800, with basements a bit less again.

3) Quality of life: Foggy Bottom got mixed reviews from the students. One said it was nice and one said it sucked. It's a pretty quiet DC neighborhood, not too many exciting places to go, but close enough for a quick metro ride to Penn Quarter, Adams Morgan, or Georgetown. Arlington is a neat place; a lot of college/grad school students. It has an urban suburban feel. A mall in Ballston and in Crystal City, and each has their share of bars, restaurants, and a few shops. Not cray nightlife, but definitely enough to keep you busy on the weekends or to give you a place to unwind after a long day. They're also both only 10 minutes further from Foggy Bottom, so anyplace you wanted to go to in or around FB is only 10 minutes more away in Arlington/Alexandria. Personally, I like Arlington the best. It has enough to do, but there's room to breath. More parks and open space than DC (and not as many restrictive laws...) The only benefit FB offers is that it's within walking distance of school, but to me the tradeoffs aren't worth it.

I've been looking for apartments for the past few months, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to PM me!


Thank you for this! When is it generally considered a good time to try to find and lock down an apartment? I heard that listings right now on Craigslist, etc. are mainly for summer rentals, though I may be very wrong about that. What is the usual lease length? Are there any apartments aside from the Aston that lease only during the academic year?

Most leases in DC expire/renew in August, so you should be looking in July. The usual lease length is one year.

User avatar
UCLAHopeful2014
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby UCLAHopeful2014 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

I withdrew, so that should have freed up 90k for everyone! Good luck!

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby chizzy » Thu May 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Any admitted student have any idea how many students have already committed? Or if they overfilled their seats?

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun
Posts: 783
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Thu May 22, 2014 8:02 pm

I withdrew. Hope that helps.

chizzy
Posts: 551
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:07 am

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby chizzy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks! It helps :)

iaiava
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:11 am

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby iaiava » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi all!

I have been a Washingtonian (From Upstate NY originally) for the last four years and I am currently a rising 1L at GW Law. I am a 26 year old male, I've spent the last four years as an executive at a mid-level company based out of DC and I am currently looking for a roommate for the Fall!

I currently reside in a high rise on 14th (Florida & 14th) and would like (although not a necessity) to remain in the same U St/14th St area. I am looking for a fellow law student roommate/s to help maintain similar lifestyles/schedules.

Please PM me if you're interested and we can discuss further.
Thanks!
Vito

Nooblarzlarz
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:17 pm

Hey there, I am a currently HLS 1L looking for housing in DC for the summer in the foggy bottom area. Do you all know if there's any way to get in touch with students looking to sublet their apartments for the summer? Is there a Facebook group I could connect with? Thanks!

elemaria
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Re: George Washington Class of 2017/18

Postby elemaria » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm looking to move into the Arlington/Alexandria area for at least 1L. How is the parking situation at GW? Did anyone bring it up at Preview Day?




Return to “TLS Class of 2017 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest